Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Louisgod
Sep 25, 2003

Always Stupid
Bread Liar

ImpAtom posted:

... Did we play the same Xenoblade? "Broke traditional JRPG tropes" is the last thing I'd say about it. It literally begins wtih the plucky over-talented young proagonist's village being destroyed by a mysterious evil force and ends with you using a lightsaber made of friendship to kill god. The battle system it used (which I like) is basically an MMO-style combat system in a single player game and it is by no means the first big JRPG to do that. (Even discounting the Literally An MMO ones like .hack.) I mean frigging FFXII exists and I like it better. I also can't think of any particularly huge surprises in Xenoblade's plot except maybe the absurd ending rush which is JRPG as gently caress.

Maybe I should say generic JRPG mechanics, not tropes. The exploratory nature of the game, being able to save anywhere, not having to use items in battle, being able to travel anywhere at any given time, that type of thing. I get the game was anime as gently caress in certain ways but it for me was overshadowed by the great mechanics, great voice acting and legit cool characters. All the characters had a great maturing to them despite their younger ages and the conversations between them were natural and fun to listen to.

Endorph posted:

i mostly just get frustrated/annoyed when peoples response to playing a thing from a genre they havent played in years that they really like isn't 'wow, i wonder what cool stuff i missed out on/what cool stuff might be coming out' but a giant louisgid post.

eat poo poo bitch

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Louisgod posted:

eat poo poo bitch
is that another modchallenge of yours

Terper
Jun 26, 2012

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused

Zore posted:

Tatsu was good

I want to punch you.

chumbler
Mar 28, 2010

I kinda wonder if they'll try a rerelease of the Xenosaga trilogy again.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

chumbler posted:

I kinda wonder if they'll try a rerelease of the Xenosaga trilogy again.

just port xenogears to the switch

Electric Phantasm
Apr 7, 2011

YOSPOS

ImpAtom posted:

Now that reviews are out I can basically say my opinion which is:

If you liked Xenoblade for the mechanics you'll like Xenoblade 2. If you liked it for the plot you might not. It's far, far, far closer to a Tales of (x) game than Xenoblade 1 or X.

How does Tora compare to Riki, character and gameplay wise?

TurnipFritter
Apr 21, 2010
10,000 POSTS ON TALKING TIME

Riki was a Rogue and Tora is (by default) a Tank.

Caphi
Jan 6, 2012

INCREDIBLE
My theory is that people feel like Xenoblade is really different because of the accents.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Lessail posted:

I do wonder how the exploration holds up in a gaming sphere with tons more 'open world' games and specifically the Switch having BotW and Odyssey

It's honestly kinda average. It's fun in comparison to Tales or Star Ocean or other similar kind of RPGs but I admit I spend a lot of time missing Xenoblade X's movement options. That isn't really fair though as they're different kind of games but still. It's basically More Xenoblade in that regards.

Electric Phantasm posted:

How does Tora compare to Riki, character and gameplay wise?

With the specification of me not being quite as fond of Riki as a lot of people: He's... okay? I don't really like Nopon much and he's pretty much just a cheerful excitable Nopon character. Gameplay-wise the whole Artificial Blade thing is an okay gimmick but the characters aren't quite as diverse as in Xenoblade 1 due to the customization options so he doesn't stand out as much as Riki did.

That's actually one of my personal problems with the game. Blade Customization allows more options but it also means the characters feel less distinctive. I liked Xenoblade 1's cast all having REALLY distinctive and unique playstyles and Xenoblade 2 is more like a midpoint between that and Xenoblade X's Everything Is The Same feleing.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Caphi posted:

My theory is that people feel like Xenoblade is really different because of the accents.

impatom already mentioned ff12!

Zore
Sep 21, 2010
willfully illiterate, aggressively miserable sourpuss whose sole raison d’etre is to put other people down for liking the wrong things

Endorph posted:

impatom already mentioned ff12!

FF12 got put into a really weird memory hole at some point. Its like after 2006 or something everyone collectively forgot it existed.

Momomo
Dec 26, 2009

Dont judge me, I design your manhole
For me Xenoblade was good not because it was different, but because it took a lot of JRPG tropes and made me actually care about them. The very beginning of the game was absolutely amazing, and I was disappointed when it changed to a teenage boy who finds a magical sword, but once I got Sharla I ended up really appreciating the team of Shulk, Reyn and Sharla and was almost a little disappointed Dunban was a permanent party member (it did not help that you only have a team of three).

I didn't really like Riki though, it really didn't feel like he was a necessary addition.

Raxivace
Sep 9, 2014

Zore posted:

FF12 got put into a really weird memory hole at some point. Its like after 2006 or something everyone collectively forgot it existed.
It got an HD release this year that solid literally a million copies.

Unlucky7
Jul 11, 2006

Fallen Rib
ImpAtom, how is the combat this time around? It actually looks fun to me this time around, and not as much as a clusterfuck as X was, even though I enjoyed that.

Zore
Sep 21, 2010
willfully illiterate, aggressively miserable sourpuss whose sole raison d’etre is to put other people down for liking the wrong things

Raxivace posted:

It got an HD release this year that solid literally a million copies.

I know! I bought it!

No one talks about it or seems to remember it when talking about JRPGs though. Its absolutely bizarre.

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused
The only reason I liked Xenoblade versus most other RPG (J and Western) games is because of its really unique setting. I still think its really cool and fascinating. A lot of games nowadays struggle to stand out in that regard. The actual exploration of the areas isn't that amazing but that's a limitation of its time. It still has a lot of cool details that made it an enjoyable experience to travel through. The writing was...passable. I think the characters are mostly good but the overarching plot is nothing special before shooting itself in the foot in the last quarter. It manages to become even more pointlessly absurd in the last 30 minutes but I just pretend that part of the game doesn't exist.

Xenoblade 2 looks to have a pretty cool setting but I just can't be enthusiastic about it. Cause while I'd like to explore the world, the character designs all look like trash. I don't wanna play a game where I end up hating most of my party because they look stupid and have (supposedly) bad voice acting. And I think the entire blade mechanic is disappointing; its cool in theory but the lack of any consistency or unifying themes among the designs puts me off. I'd much rather the blades all looked like weird living weapons than sexy anime girls or whatever. That would make it stand out more; right now it just seems like the summoning mechanic every JRPG has.

That's my hot take on Xenoblade 2. In another time I might be more willing to try it out but this year doesn't lack for gaming experiences I'm more interested in. It at least looks much better than Xenoblade X, which I consider a genuinely awful game.

Internet Kraken fucked around with this message at 19:56 on Nov 30, 2017

Tender Bender
Sep 17, 2004

ImpAtom posted:

To be honest I'd say that it's basically got a weaker start than Xenoblade 1. It follows some kinda-similar ideas but how Rex and Pyra meet is incredibly generic and it takes a fairly long time for the plot to kick into gear. It just feels more cliche from the very start and while I think it does some things well (without getting into spoilers), it never quite hits the same feeling to me as Xenoblade at its high points. My feeling on Xenoblade 1 is that not long after the truth about the Mechon reveal it starts to feel a lot more Traditional JRPG and Xenoblade 2 kind of starts in that zone instead.

Note that I wasn't that impressed with Xenoblade's plot overall. I liked the characters and worldsetting. But I thought it had a strong opening and it drew me in much easier than Xenoblade 2 did. The character designs impacted that a lot too. Pyra is absurdly hard to take seriously.

I agree about Xenoblade 1, strong opening, starts to waver into "what the gently caress are we even doing?" territory when you encounter the bird people city, recovers for a while, then when you get the reveal about the monado it goes full speed off a cliff.

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here
The problem with anime isn't the anime itself. It's the fans.

There is a lot of good anime out there. There aren't any good anime fans, though.

They are basically the previous generations bronys.

eonwe
Aug 11, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

Waltzing Along posted:

The problem with anime isn't the anime itself. It's the fans.

There is a lot of good anime out there. There aren't any good anime fans, though.

They are basically the previous generations bronys.

Zore
Sep 21, 2010
Personally, I loved XB and XBX for the dumb dressup aspects and its honestly incredibly disappointing you can't change people's outfits in 2.

Also a lot of the blade designs are really offputting. There's no consistency or coherence to them so its like playing a gatcha game 5 years after release and building a team of characters consisting of Batman next to Odin and also a dragon and an anime schoolgirl. I'd rather they all had some theme or at least some kind of design doc because they clearly just told a fuckton of artists to go wild.

DLC Inc
Jun 1, 2011

how can you guys hate Riki?? OR NOPON

eonwe
Aug 11, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
on a serious note tho, lookin like im gonna get this game based on the reviews

Gyoru
Jul 13, 2004

Party member join order:

0. Rex. Shepard. [resonance capable]
1. N i a [resonance capable]
2. T o r a [no resonance]
3. V a n d h a m [no resonance - LEAVES PERMANENTLY]
4. M o r a g [resonance capable]
5. Z e k e [resonance capable]

I've been watching too many early release streams

Tender Bender
Sep 17, 2004

Anime can be good. Dunban's one arm swordsman thing with his Alucard outfit is anime as gently caress but also badass.

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused

Tender Bender posted:

Anime can be good. Dunban's one arm swordsman thing with his Alucard outfit is anime as gently caress but also badass.

Dunban has a loving katanna display on his wall. Dude definitely gets up everyday trying to think of new ways to look badass playing with his knife collection.

DLC Inc posted:

how can you guys hate Riki?? OR NOPON

Tatsu is one of the worst characters I've ever seen and I wouldn't be surprised if he soured people on the whole race. I was seriously apprehensive about giving Rikki a chance because of how much Tatsu pissed me off. Rikki is actually fine though, and the rest of the nopon generally are as well.

DLC Inc
Jun 1, 2011

Dunban's BORN IN A WORLD OF STRIFE speech he quotes everytime you used his combo was great. it's sad that characters like Dickson and Dunban won't be in any other games. I really liked having grizzled older guys in the party instead of weird teens

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here
Now I want to go back and finish XB1.

Zore
Sep 21, 2010

DLC Inc posted:

Dunban's BORN IN A WORLD OF STRIFE speech he quotes everytime you used his combo was great. it's sad that characters like Dickson and Dunban won't be in any other games. I really liked having grizzled older guys in the party instead of weird teens

I mean, Dunban's a grizzled veteran who's 30 years old. And Dickson wasn't in the party.

XCX was nice for having every team member except Lyn be an actual adult. And a bunch were older than Dunban!

Caphi
Jan 6, 2012

INCREDIBLE
I think there are rumors of Vandham joining in 2 but I cannot speak with certainty. He would give you all four gods in your party though.

Unlucky7
Jul 11, 2006

Fallen Rib
I feel like the only person who generally likes the designs, even for Rex (BITCH I PLAYED KINGDOM HEARTS DO NOT COME AT ME ABOUT DUMB PANTS)

DLC Inc
Jun 1, 2011

Internet Kraken posted:

Dunban has a loving katanna display on his wall. Dude definitely gets up everyday trying to think of new ways to look badass playing with his knife collection.

Tatsu is one of the worst characters I've ever seen and I wouldn't be surprised if he soured people on the whole race. I was seriously apprehensive about giving Rikki a chance because of how much Tatsu pissed me off. Rikki is actually fine though, and the rest of the nopon generally are as well.

XCX was depressing because unlike even XC1, you couldn't even talk to every single character on the screen. I saw other Nopons all the time in the hubworld and couldn't talk to them. Just made me wish for the Frontier Village, the Nopon haven with possibly one of the best musical tracks and a big beautiful tree skyscraper

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused

Zore posted:

I mean, Dunban's a grizzled veteran who's 30 years old. And Dickson wasn't in the party.

XCX was nice for having every team member except Lyn be an actual adult. And a bunch were older than Dunban!

Too bad you're forced to drag around Lyn and Elmo for most of the game since they are mandatory for every story mission.

Whatever merits the XCX cast had were undermined by the insanely bad and outdated party system that actively discouraged rotating out your team.

Unlucky7 posted:

I feel like the only person who generally likes the designs, even for Rex (BITCH I PLAYED KINGDOM HEARTS DO NOT COME AT ME ABOUT DUMB PANTS)

I genuinely hate basically all of them for various reasons but there are plenty of other people here that seem to like them.

Internet Kraken fucked around with this message at 20:06 on Nov 30, 2017

Zore
Sep 21, 2010

Internet Kraken posted:

Too bad you're forced to drag around Lyn and Elmo for most of the game since they are mandatory for every story mission.

Yeah. At least you got 4 slots so you could bring another person though.

Lyn really should have been a Tatsu style tagalong though where she exists in cutscenes and not battle. Her whole thing is being a 12 year old wunderkind, she doesn't need to go into battle too!

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Unlucky7 posted:

ImpAtom, how is the combat this time around? It actually looks fun to me this time around, and not as much as a clusterfuck as X was, even though I enjoyed that.

I think it's pretty solid. I actually like the cooldown system though I can see it bothering people. It feels a bit better balanced to me than Xenoblade 1, especially with you having the option to not spend sidequest EXP so you can control your leveling curve better. It's certainly more cohesive than X. However it is less cohesive and structured than Xenoblade 1 with less distinctive characters. Overall I liked it and had fun with it, but I also tried to keep my levels low and I freely admit that there were a whole shitload of mechanics I only half-understood because Xenoblade 2 is terrible about teaching you.

Utnayan
Sep 26, 2002
PROUD MEMBER OF THE RAPIST DEFENSE BRIGADE! DO NOT BE MEAN TO RAPISTS, OR I WILL VOTE FOR THEM WITH EVER INCREASING VIGOR!

ImpAtom posted:

I think it's pretty solid. I actually like the cooldown system though I can see it bothering people. It feels a bit better balanced to me than Xenoblade 1, especially with you having the option to not spend sidequest EXP so you can control your leveling curve better. It's certainly more cohesive than X. However it is less cohesive and structured than Xenoblade 1 with less distinctive characters. Overall I liked it and had fun with it, but I also tried to keep my levels low and I freely admit that there were a whole shitload of mechanics I only half-understood because Xenoblade 2 is terrible about teaching you.

Yeah in the Gamespot review they actually told people to take a screenshot of the tutorial for the complex mechanics because you cannot reference it AT ALL once it is shown for the first time. That's pretty loving stupid.

Calaveron
Aug 7, 2006
:negative:

Zore posted:

Yeah. At least you got 4 slots so you could bring another person though.

Lyn really should have been a Tatsu style tagalong though where she exists in cutscenes and not battle. Her whole thing is being a 12 year old wunderkind, she doesn't need to go into battle too!

Also how you HAD to use her and Elma throughout the whole main quests

Calaveron
Aug 7, 2006
:negative:
Also what's the name of Rex/Pyra's sword, is it Monado again or just Pyra or what

Unlucky7
Jul 11, 2006

Fallen Rib

ImpAtom posted:

Oh right, I heard about this in previews and elsewhere that for whatever dumb reason, there is no way to access tutorial screens after you initially get them.

I am hoping that they fix that in the prerelease patch or whatever, but I will try to remember to use the screenshot button.

Also, sidequest experience being spendable sounds really cool as someone who spent their time doing all the sidequests the could in 1 and X.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zore
Sep 21, 2010

Calaveron posted:

Also what's the name of Rex/Pyra's sword, is it Monado again or just Pyra or what

The Aegis. Pyra's half of it.