Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Shrapnig
Jan 21, 2005

mattfl posted:

So weird. I’ve been in my local Ross the past couple weeks and have seen a bunch of these. They had like 5 of the black ones in both L and XL and quite a few of the other colors. I’m in central Florida so maybe they figure with all the golfers around they’ll sell better?

From my time at Burlington they definitely allocated stuff regionally and I bet they don't think they're moving much golf stuff in New Jersey in November.

I'm a Smedium so the outlets rarely end up with stuff in my size anyway.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Suprfli6
Jul 9, 2008

:shepface:God I fucking love Diablo 3 gold, it even paid for this shitty title:shepface:

I need Large Tall for golf polos for them to look good and stay tucked in, nobody ever seems to have great deals on them though.

Halo14
Sep 11, 2001
Welp, realised I just don't like the feel of cast iron heads (ping iBlades).

Gonna have the Mizuno MP25's swapped into the new shafts that came with the Ping irons.

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

Suprfli6 posted:

I need Large Tall for golf polos for them to look good and stay tucked in, nobody ever seems to have great deals on them though.
I just wear my polos untucked like some 60-year-old weekend hacker

Or alternatively a 20-year-old weekend hacker

torgeaux
Dec 31, 2004
I serve...
Cannot record scores for handicap at my course. No tee markers, more than half the bunkers tarped and played as ground under repair. Good thing. Shot a 37 on the front that would have been the same in normal conditions, never saw sand. 42 on the back, more like my regular game, and the one time in a bunker, it was uncovered. 11 putts on the front. That's a 79 I don't mind not putting in the books.

Halo14
Sep 11, 2001

torgeaux posted:

Cannot record scores for handicap at my course. No tee markers, more than half the bunkers tarped and played as ground under repair. Good thing. Shot a 37 on the front that would have been the same in normal conditions, never saw sand. 42 on the back, more like my regular game, and the one time in a bunker, it was uncovered. 11 putts on the front. That's a 79 I don't mind not putting in the books.

Pretty solid. Having 11 putts for 9 holes is something I wish I could do. I feel I'm technically a good putter but they just don't drop as often as I'd like. All this effort to fix tee shots and change my swing and I'm constantly let down by putting.

Anyway - the Tiger Woods hype is real. Everyone's talking about him being pain free and out driving even Dustin Johnson, I want to believe.

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

Halo14 posted:

Pretty solid. Having 11 putts for 9 holes is something I wish I could do. I feel I'm technically a good putter but they just don't drop as often as I'd like. All this effort to fix tee shots and change my swing and I'm constantly let down by putting.

Anyway - the Tiger Woods hype is real. Everyone's talking about him being pain free and out driving even Dustin Johnson, I want to believe.
Google says Tiger would hit 130 mph+ in his prime. I don't think that's true.

The fastest swing on tour is Cameron Champ who averages 128 mph:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zvu6uI7S_us&t=16s

If you look at Tiger's Swing from 2000, it's about 5 mph slower. DJ only averages 122 mph so it's definitely possible:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v8ORRvlV7W8&t=26s

edit: lol PGA Tour has clubhead speed stats going back to 2007 and Tiger averaged 123 mph: https://www.pgatour.com/stats/stat.02401.2007.html drat I'm good :smug:

Josh Lyman fucked around with this message at 06:21 on Nov 28, 2017

Halo14
Sep 11, 2001
Owww my back. How have I not heard of this Cameron Champ? Must spray it all over the shop.

Kwilty
May 31, 2011

Halo14 posted:

I heard he out drove DJ. Not that he was out driving him. They were saying it was comparable though. Judging by the brief footage I've watched though his irons are looking mighty fine right now.

Suprfli6
Jul 9, 2008

:shepface:God I fucking love Diablo 3 gold, it even paid for this shitty title:shepface:

I am (yet again) hoping he's healthy. But... see thread title. :saddowns:

Also, his driver in 2000: 43.5 inches length, D4 swingweight, 7.5 degrees loft, steel X-100 shaft tipped an inch. He swung *that* 123 mph.

Suprfli6 fucked around with this message at 13:57 on Nov 28, 2017

torgeaux
Dec 31, 2004
I serve...

Halo14 posted:

Took another look. It was 12. 1 putt on 1,2,7,8,9 and technically 5 (on the fringe on the par 3).

EnsGDT
Nov 9, 2004

~boop boop beep motherfucker~

Suprfli6 posted:

I am (yet again) hoping he's healthy. But... see thread title. :saddowns:

Also, his driver in 2000: 43.5 inches length, D4 swingweight, 7.5 degrees loft, steel X-100 shaft tipped an inch. He swung *that* 123 mph.

This is an insane club build, Jesus.

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

EnsGDT posted:

This is an insane club build, Jesus.
For my last year or so in high school, I put a 45" steel S300 shaft into my driver, the same 975D Tiger was using, though mine was 6.5*. Those were silly times.

ironlung
Dec 31, 2001

Kwilty posted:

I heard he out drove DJ. Not that he was out driving him. They were saying it was comparable though. Judging by the brief footage I've watched though his irons are looking mighty fine right now.

Correct, when DJ flushes one he is easily putting it past Tiger.

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

yeah Tiger in his prime would have been one thing, but current Tiger out-driving current DJ consistently is a stretch.

Suprfli6
Jul 9, 2008

I don't expect him to be better than many in the overall driving category this week but if Tiger's proximity to the hole stat (or I guess Strokes Gained - Approach since they use that now) is near the top I'll believe he might be competitive again.

Keyser_Soze
May 5, 2009

Pillbug
one wrong shot out of the rough and his back will be toast again.

I'll still root for a couple of top-5's in Majors from a 42-48 y/o bald, drunk, angry, horny Tiger though. :getin:

Halo14
Sep 11, 2001

Suprfli6 posted:

I don't expect him to be better than many in the overall driving category this week but if Tiger's proximity to the hole stat (or I guess Strokes Gained - Approach since they use that now) is near the top I'll believe he might be competitive again.

He's never been a great driver of the ball, just needs to keep it in play and he'll score well. Just like me. gently caress you drivers.

Shrapnig
Jan 21, 2005

Halo14 posted:

He's never been a great driver of the ball, just needs to keep it in play and he'll score well. Just like me. gently caress you drivers.

This. He's the greatest short game player of all time.

mattfl
Aug 27, 2004

Guys, loving TIGER WOODS is playing in a competitive golf tournament today!@

print scream key
Sep 20, 2012
eldrick finna drop an opening round 65 today, calling it now

mattfl
Aug 27, 2004

print scream key posted:

eldrick finna drop an opening round 65 today, calling it now

I just need him to stay healthy for like 3 more months so he plays in the Arnold Palmer and I can go see him!

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

i like to think tiger's comeback is going to start by clowning some poor rookie fools in unseen tournaments on the web.com tour

mattfl
Aug 27, 2004

Tiger just smoked his first tee shot!!!! He’s back!!!

Suprfli6
Jul 9, 2008

Let's goooooo

mattfl
Aug 27, 2004

Even out drove JT!

Suprfli6
Jul 9, 2008

Good look at birdie on 1. Had to settle for a par though.

His warmup on the putting green was funny, he's a far better putter using one hand than I am with both.

Unrelated, but Frank Nobilo looks like he's morphing into Trump or something lol, what a bad tan job.

Suprfli6 fucked around with this message at 18:22 on Nov 30, 2017

mattfl
Aug 27, 2004

Driver/2 iron into the 3rd green!

Suprfli6
Jul 9, 2008

mattfl posted:

Driver/2 iron into the 3rd green!

Yeah that was 260 to the pin into the wind and he's on the back of the green, great shot. And another hole where JT was hitting before Tiger.

Shrapnig
Jan 21, 2005

Good par save on 4 after he chunked a chip about 6 yards to the fringe.

Kwilty
May 31, 2011

The new TW '17's (Shoes Tiger is rocking today) look geriatric as all hell.

Kameh
Apr 27, 2004

Resident Sergio Apologist
CHAMPION
Tiger hits a draw 3w into 9 green from 282 and I jizz...in...my pants.

Edit: Tiger Woods chunks an easy chip, and the jizz goes back inside my body..

Kameh fucked around with this message at 20:07 on Nov 30, 2017

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

"gently caress!" as Tiger chunks another chip

Daric
Dec 23, 2007

Shawn:
Do you really want to know my process?

Lassiter:
Absolutely.

Shawn:
Well it starts with a holla! and ends with a Creamsicle.
Tiger will win another major

On the Champions Tour

Halo14
Sep 11, 2001
Tiger lookin pretty solid fellas. Just needs to take advantage of them par 5s.

Kameh
Apr 27, 2004

Resident Sergio Apologist
CHAMPION

Halo14 posted:

Tiger lookin pretty solid fellas. Just needs to take advantage of them par 5s.

That's the biggest take away. Other than his flubbed chip(s), he hit pretty good drives (there's always gonna be one screwy drive with Tiger) and excellent irons. He shot -3 and played the par 5s even.

Without a flubbed chip on 9, he would have birdied it. If he didn't lose his drive in the bush, it's par at worst.

Not too shabby.

Halo14
Sep 11, 2001
The game just isn't as good without him, some of those pure iron strikes were a joy to watch. Every one of those 18 players are amazing ball strikers but tiger just has something else that's hard to describe. Guess it's just nostalgia having grown up with him dominating the game.

Suprfli6
Jul 9, 2008

He had some solid par saving putts, and could have easily been a few shots lower. Seeing him stick a couple wedges close brought a smile to my face which is great, I really haven't rooted for any players in particular for a while.

mattfl
Aug 27, 2004

So let's talk about some cool pairings now that Tiger is back.

Here's one I'd like to see

Tiger
Bubba
Spieth
DJ

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Daric
Dec 23, 2007

Shawn:
Do you really want to know my process?

Lassiter:
Absolutely.

Shawn:
Well it starts with a holla! and ends with a Creamsicle.
Patrick really enjoys playing with Tiger when he gets to so I'd like to see them paired up at some point.