Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Unlucky7 posted:

Oh right, I heard about this in previews and elsewhere that for whatever dumb reason, there is no way to access tutorial screens after you initially get them.

I am hoping that they fix that in the prerelease patch or whatever, but I will try to remember to use the screenshot button.

Also, sidequest experience being spendable sounds really cool as someone who spent their time doing all the sidequests the could in 1 and X.

There's even stupider things than that.

There are in-game tutorials which you...have to buy. From a poorly marked shopkeep. Which only gives you a sort of half-hearted two-sentence description of mechanics.

Calaveron posted:

Also what's the name of Rex/Pyra's sword, is it Monado again or just Pyra or what

The Aegis is what Pyra and the sword are usually called.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

chumbler
Mar 28, 2010

Unlucky7 posted:

I feel like the only person who generally likes the designs, even for Rex (BITCH I PLAYED KINGDOM HEARTS DO NOT COME AT ME ABOUT DUMB PANTS)

Rex's dumb pants are several levels beyond KH.

Gwyrgyn Blood
Dec 17, 2002

Unlucky7 posted:

I feel like the only person who generally likes the designs, even for Rex (BITCH I PLAYED KINGDOM HEARTS DO NOT COME AT ME ABOUT DUMB PANTS)

I like em for the most part but Rex is just bland and Pyra is just kinda ... eh. Rest of the cast seems pretty cool. I think I'm just unphased by dumb pants anymore these days.

I'm guessing someone will probably post up all the tutorials shortly after launch. I could try and grab them all as I go but I'm probably going to be playing a lot slower than most people anyway.

Also it sounds like the 1.1 patch fixed a bunch of UI issues with the game so there's that.

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!

Zore posted:

I know! I bought it!

No one talks about it or seems to remember it when talking about JRPGs though. Its absolutely bizarre.

people definitely talk about ff12 in the right circles, i follow a localization editor who constantly cites it as one of their biggest influences

Utnayan
Sep 26, 2002
PROUD MEMBER OF THE RAPIST DEFENSE BRIGADE! DO NOT BE MEAN TO RAPISTS, OR I WILL VOTE FOR THEM WITH EVER INCREASING VIGOR!

ImpAtom posted:

There are in-game tutorials which you...have to buy. From a poorly marked shopkeep. Which only gives you a sort of half-hearted two-sentence description of mechanics.

What the gently caress....

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

Endorph posted:

https://i.imgur.com/OAC5NmR.jpg

MOD EDIT: Please remember to be work safe

Somebody fucked around with this message at 22:10 on Nov 30, 2017

mikemil828
May 15, 2008

A man who has said too much

chumbler posted:

Rex's dumb pants are several levels beyond KH.

Sora’s costume was designed by someone who clearly spent too much time hanging around Shibuya, Rex’s costume was designed by someone who clearly didn’t spend enough.

Lube Enthusiast
May 26, 2016

Gimme a XCX recut edition for the Switch that fixes the faces & removes the need to bring specific characters for story missions.

Infinity Gaia
Feb 27, 2011

a storm is coming...

I really don't understand the complaint about having to bring Lyn and Elma along for story missions. I mean, yeah, it's kind of annoying, but it's also like maybe 10% of the game max? And easily the worst 10% at that. I think they were actually in my party for less cumulative time than basically anyone else, since I figured I'd just use them when absolutely necessary.

Utnayan
Sep 26, 2002
PROUD MEMBER OF THE RAPIST DEFENSE BRIGADE! DO NOT BE MEAN TO RAPISTS, OR I WILL VOTE FOR THEM WITH EVER INCREASING VIGOR!

Lube Enthusiast posted:

Gimme a XCX recut edition for the Switch that fixes the faces & removes the need to bring specific characters for story missions.

And a new soundtrack that doesn't blast horrible music as you are trying to listen to the characters/story.

I'd buy a switch if they came out with a Xenoblade 1 remaster. XCX was not a good game in my opinion.

WarpDogs
May 1, 2009

I'm just a normal, functioning member of the human race, and there's no way anyone can prove otherwise.
Seems a day 1 patch hit that fixed a bunch of UI stuff and also added an event viewer for rewatching cutscenes. Still doesn't seem like you can review tutorials, but it maybe indicates it could come at some point

I'm still not used to this era of Nintendo games getting patches, and day 1 patches at that

a messed up horse
Mar 11, 2014

by Nyc_Tattoo

Louisgod posted:

Shame Xenoblade 2 has turned into a loving generic predictable anime shitfest instead of the pioneer the first game was. The thing that made the original such a standout was how it broke traditional JRPG tropes (inns, saves, battles, you name it) but also offered a cast that was incredibly likable and a story that had really cool "WHAT THE gently caress" moments. The anime tropes that were in it were overshadowed by what the game got right.

I'm still holding out that XB2 has decent characters and a fun story and I can get over the other poo poo if the environments are fun to explore. It just seems Monolith has lost sight of what made the original game such a success and have fallen back to what made JRPGs stale and boring. At least the soundtrack is incredible.

e: ugh the Tales games have TERRRRRRRRRRIBLE plots. Abyss's story was so loving bad.

Kind of a jerky post, my dude.

DLC Inc
Jun 1, 2011

lol xenoblade was great but it didn't pioneer poo poo, unless you count cockney accents. it has always been weird as gently caress with ridiculous plots and characters; the climax of XC1 was mindmelting.

Kotaku posted a video review but unfortunately it was done by resident otaku dipshit Tim Rogers so it's worthless.

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Scholars are some of the most pompous and pedantic people I've ever had the joy of meeting.

DLC Inc posted:

gamespot 7/10 review: " Once again, the stout and furry Nopon creatures are an annoyance on par with Jar Jar Binks" uhhhhh there were actual jar jar binks aliens in XCX that were really bad. how dare you poo poo on Nopons

Gamespot continues to be terrible.

While I will agree that Tatsu is easily Jar Jar-grade garbage(and Lin wasn't much better), Riki was great and the Nopon in general are fine.

TurnipFritter posted:

Riki was a Rogue and Tora is (by default) a Tank.

Riki could tank really well though. :confused:

Assuming he could keep aggro (use dots during a party chain and the massive dot damage will rip aggro pretty fast).

Internet Kraken posted:

Too bad you're forced to drag around Lyn and Elmo for most of the game since they are mandatory for every story mission.

Whatever merits the XCX cast had were undermined by the insanely bad and outdated party system that actively discouraged rotating out your team.

It also had a tedious and bad grind for affinity (until you beat the game?) which made the "not everyone is in the party at all times" thing even worse. Especially since at least one story mission was gated behind affinity with someone other than Lin/Elma so if you never used that party member have fun grinding missions for a few hours.

...and then you find out one of the 100% optional party members is basically a money fountain once you finish her affinity missions and can craft (and sell) her unique skell.

Suaimhneas
Nov 19, 2005

That's how you get tinnitus

If Pyra is "the Aegis" then why is she a sword, not a shield :confused:

Caphi
Jan 6, 2012

INCREDIBLE

Suaimhneas posted:

If Pyra is "the Aegis" then why is she a sword, not a shield :confused:

You think that's bad, in Japanese it's the Holy Grail.

Daikatana Ritsu
Aug 1, 2008

Louisgod posted:

Shame Xenoblade 2 has turned into a loving generic predictable anime shitfest instead of the pioneer the first game was. The thing that made the original such a standout was how it broke traditional JRPG tropes (inns, saves, battles, you name it) but also offered a cast that was incredibly likable and a story that had really cool "WHAT THE gently caress" moments. The anime tropes that were in it were overshadowed by what the game got right.

I'm still holding out that XB2 has decent characters and a fun story and I can get over the other poo poo if the environments are fun to explore. It just seems Monolith has lost sight of what made the original game such a success and have fallen back to what made JRPGs stale and boring. At least the soundtrack is incredible.

e: ugh the Tales games have TERRRRRRRRRRIBLE plots. Abyss's story was so loving bad.

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Aside from the first sentence this man is 100% correct.

Swilo
Jun 2, 2004
ANIME SUCKS HARD
:dukedog:
I am very excited for this game, but also afraid of going into it without a huge spreadsheet of information like the first :ohdear:

littleorv
Jan 29, 2011

Endorph posted:

https://i.imgur.com/OAC5NmR.jpg

MOD NOTE: Please remember to be work safe

This game is gonna be good yeah?

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused
You can't change your armor so they had to make up for the lack of swimsuits elsewhere.

Calaveron
Aug 7, 2006
:negative:
So like, is there gear in the game or is there just blades
Because I love when RPGs show what your weapons and armor looks like and hate when they don't

^burtle
Jul 17, 2001

God of Boomin'

I believe someone in the thread said earlier that outfits won't change.

Meowywitch
Jan 14, 2010

Internet Kraken posted:

You can't change your armor so they had to make up for the lack of swimsuits elsewhere.

I will pay money to change Rex's ridiculous outfit. Please let me.

Zore
Sep 21, 2010
willfully illiterate, aggressively miserable sourpuss whose sole raison d’etre is to put other people down for liking the wrong things

voltcatfish posted:

I will pay money to change Rex's ridiculous outfit. Please let me.

Sorry but he's stuck with it.

literally the worst part of this game.

Tender Bender
Sep 17, 2004

The best part of Seven's outfits all being some kind of sex robot is that her face looks exactly like Shulk.

Macdeo Lurjtux
Jul 5, 2011

BRRREADSTOOORRM!
If I was going to try playing the original on the Wii U, would I need just the wiimote or the wiimote and nunchuck/classic controller?

numerrik
Jul 15, 2009

Falcon Punch!

Macdeo Lurjtux posted:

If I was going to try playing the original on the Wii U, would I need just the wiimote or the wiimote and nunchuck/classic controller?

I think the second option, that’s how I play it. Wiimote and classic controller, but it should list required controllers on the shop page so that’ll say if wiimote only works.

Ventana
Mar 28, 2010

*Yosh intensifies*

ImpAtom posted:

Now that reviews are out I can basically say my opinion which is:

If you liked Xenoblade for the mechanics you'll like Xenoblade 2. If you liked it for the plot you might not. It's far, far, far closer to a Tales of (x) game than Xenoblade 1 or X.

Do you mean closer to a Tales of game like, "is more of a generic anime"(*) way, or that it only is loosely connected to the other games by mechanic similarities rather than story connections?

*I don't mean anime as a pejorative. I know you know what posters here generally mean when they bring up Tales and anime, even we both know anime paranoia is silly

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

Macdeo Lurjtux posted:

You do need an analogue stick. Either a nunchuck or classic controller works fine, whichever you would easier have access to.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Ventana posted:

Do you mean closer to a Tales of game like, "is more of a generic anime"(*) way, or that it only is loosely connected to the other games by mechanic similarities rather than story connections?

*I don't mean anime as a pejorative. I know you know what posters here generally mean when they bring up Tales and anime, even we both know anime paranoia is silly

Both.

eonwe
Aug 11, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
who else is gonna get this game

Gwyrgyn Blood
Dec 17, 2002

Already got it preloaded, doesn't seem to be a way to preload the JP voices though?

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

DLC Inc posted:

lol xenoblade was great but it didn't pioneer poo poo, unless you count cockney accents. it has always been weird as gently caress with ridiculous plots and characters; the climax of XC1 was mindmelting.

Kotaku posted a video review but unfortunately it was done by resident otaku dipshit Tim Rogers so it's worthless.
cockney accents in jrpgs were pioneered by dq8

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

eonwe posted:

who else is gonna get this game

I'm pretty well convinced I'll like it at this point so I'll probably get it around Christmas time. Just in case it turns out everyone actually hates it in the end. :v:

Calaveron
Aug 7, 2006
I mean if XB2 is like a Tales of Vesperia or Berseria then that’d be super cool but if it’s like Tales of Graces or Zestiria just burn it all down

Echophonic
Sep 16, 2005

ha;lp
Gun Saliva
I have it preloaded. I got a good amount of time into both of the previous before not finishing them, so this should meet my needs. :v:

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Calaveron posted:

I mean if XB2 is like a Tales of Vesperia or Berseria then that’d be super cool but if it’s like Tales of Graces or Zestiria just burn it all down
tales of graces had great combat, some decent jokes, and a good epilogue. the plot was terrible but eh

Momomo
Dec 26, 2009

Dont judge me, I design your manhole
I'd be overjoyed if the game ended up being as good as Graces.

8-bit Miniboss
May 24, 2005

CORPO COPS CAME FOR MY :filez:

Gwyrgyn Blood posted:

Already got it preloaded, doesn't seem to be a way to preload the JP voices though?

Was going to ask this too. I don't see any link to it in the eShop. I'm guessing it won't be available until the game is available in the region.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Calaveron
Aug 7, 2006

Endorph posted:

tales of graces had great combat, some decent jokes, and a good epilogue. the plot was terrible but eh

The plot was balls awful and you know this because you post a lot in the tales of thread and I posted my every complaint of that game in that thread
The decent jokes were all relegated to the f future arc and it was pretty much only two characters who were funny