Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
FrozenVent
May 1, 2009

The Boeing 737-200QC is the undisputed workhorse of the skies.

Handsome Ralph posted:

Hot Karl Marx, now's your chance to to tell me no, don't do it. Seriously though, I wanna move to Nova Scotia.

I was about to say god no, anywhere but NS but then I realized it could be worst - Ottawa, Newfoundland, anywhere between Windsor and the Rockies. So yeah go ahead.

Comedy option: the territories.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Marshal Prolapse
Jun 23, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

FrozenVent posted:

I was about to say god no, anywhere but NS but then I realized it could be worst - Ottawa, Newfoundland, anywhere between Windsor and the Rockies. So yeah go ahead.

Comedy option: the territories.

Yukon and LARP MECCs Yukon Trail.

bloops
Dec 31, 2010

Thanks Ape Pussy!
Russell Simmons: sexual assaulter

Flying_Crab
Apr 12, 2002

https://twitter.com/bubbaprog/status/936292921413963776

:lol:

Marshal Prolapse
Jun 23, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

cowboy elvis posted:

Russell Simmons: sexual assaulter

And people thought Rushcard was the most exploitive thing he did.

mlmp08
Jul 11, 2004

Prepare for my priapic projectile's exalted penetration
Nap Ghost

goddamn. I hope someone's been tweeting that to Lindsay Graham and the POTUS accounts a lot today.

Well, Jake "angry that reality doesn't matter anymore" Tapper picked it up

https://twitter.com/TheLeadCNN/status/936351078030987265

mlmp08 fucked around with this message at 23:18 on Nov 30, 2017

facialimpediment
Feb 11, 2005

as the world turns
I'm refreshing rapidly, the deficit hawks have been holding out for the last 15 minutes and could, COULD kill the tax bill.

Edit: nevermind, welp. 15 minute vote was held out for an hour though!

facialimpediment fucked around with this message at 23:34 on Nov 30, 2017

Woodchip
Mar 28, 2010
https://www.c-span.org/video/?437830-1/us-senate-headed-toward-final-vote-gop-tax-reform-bill

c-spam senate feed, watch old white dudes :thunk:

M_Gargantua
Oct 16, 2006

STOMP'N ON INTO THE POWERLINES

Exciting Lemon
If there are any lawyers around: is there any law against publicly brandishing a guillotine in DC?

shame on an IGA
Apr 8, 2005

HAIL loving SATAN ALL THREE VOTED NO

mlmp08
Jul 11, 2004

Prepare for my priapic projectile's exalted penetration
Nap Ghost
https://twitter.com/MikeDorning/status/936359445898170368

It's so good that we can't show it!

Hot Karl Marx
Mar 16, 2009

Politburo regulations about social distancing require to downgrade your Karlmarxing to cold, and sorry about the dnc primaries, please enjoy!

shame on an IGA posted:

it dead?

Woodchip
Mar 28, 2010
think it goes to the senate floor now , this was a vote to go back to committee.

facialimpediment
Feb 11, 2005

as the world turns

shame on an IGA posted:

The bill continues. It was a motion to send it back to committee. False alarm, everything is still terrible.

UP THE BUM NO BABY
Sep 1, 2011

by Hand Knit
McConnell wants it voted on ASAP because it has to happen before the government shuts down and this is clearly the most important thing Congress can do right now.

psydude
Apr 1, 2008

The only good thing that can come of the tax bill is that I'll get a tax break, while Trump voters will get a tax increase. Unfortunately, so will millions of people who don't deserve to pay more taxes.

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Every revolution evaporates and leaves behind only the slime of a new bureaucracy

psydude posted:

The only good thing that can come of the tax bill is that I'll get a tax break, while Trump voters will get a tax increase. Unfortunately, so will millions of people who don't deserve to pay more taxes.

I'll get a tax break for like 2-3 grand and lose all my employees...

UP THE BUM NO BABY
Sep 1, 2011

by Hand Knit

That Works posted:

I'll get a tax break for like 2-3 grand and lose all my employees...

Job creation!

psydude
Apr 1, 2008

The best part about this bill is how people can avoid taxes by becoming their own business. I already have a passthrough LLC, so I'll probably leverage that to become a subcontractor to my current company. Job creation!

shyduck
Oct 3, 2003

https://twitter.com/seungminkim/status/936363732069945348

Can anybody translate this

BUG JUG
Feb 17, 2005

psydude posted:

The best part about this bill is how people can avoid taxes by becoming their own business. I already have a passthrough LLC, so I'll probably leverage that to become a subcontractor to my current company. Job creation!

Wasn't sure if that would work, pondering doing that now.

UP THE BUM NO BABY
Sep 1, 2011

by Hand Knit

Their bill violates parliamentarian rules related to reconciliation and therefore can't or shouldn't be passed but 2017 so who knows

psydude
Apr 1, 2008

It means that, as written, the bill can't pass the senate without 60 votes.

Nystral
Feb 6, 2002

Every man likes a pretty girl with him at a skeleton dance.

psydude posted:

Doesn’t it also mean that without the trigger it may lose the 3 or so votes they need to pass it using reconciliation?

BigDave
Jul 14, 2009

Taste the High Country

psydude posted:

PLEASE let this be true :pray:

smertrioslol
Apr 4, 2010

psydude posted:

Why does it require more than a simple majority?

BigDave
Jul 14, 2009

Taste the High Country

smertrioslol posted:

I think it's something to do with the budget. If a bill adds more then $X billion to the deficit, it needs a super-majority.

AreWeDrunkYet
Jul 8, 2006

smertrioslol posted:

Standard Senate votes can be filibustered by the minority, which takes 60 votes to get past. Republicans were trying to pass the ACA repeal and the tax bill using a process called budget reconciliation that only requires 51 votes but imposes limitations in what the bill can do.

psydude
Apr 1, 2008

smertrioslol posted:

Republicans want to use a mechanism called budget reconciliation to pass it with a simple majority, but this requires that the bill not add to the budget. They passed a budget earlier this year that would free up $1.5T in funding, so their tax cuts can't cost more than that. Unfortunately for Republicans, the tax bill raises the deficit by more than that amount. Deficit hawks have proposed something called a trigger, which would automatically raise taxes if the economic growth generated by the tax bill doesn't meet a certain target by a certain point as a means to offset the additional cost of the cuts. The parliamentarian, the non-partisan referee of the senate, has ruled that this is insufficient to offset the deficit increase caused by the bill, which means that it can't be passed under budget reconciliation rules and must be passed with a 60 vote majority.

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

AreWeDrunkYet posted:

Standard Senate votes can be filibustered by the minority, which takes 60 votes to get past. Republicans were trying to pass the ACA repeal and the tax bill using a process called budget reconciliation that only requires 51 votes but imposes limitations in what the bill can do.

Note that the rules of the senate can be changed with 51 votes (well, 50 actually with Pence). Normally removing the filibuster would be considered one of those crossing the rubicon moments but they already stole a Supreme Court seat and are confirming newly minted lawyers to be federal judges so...

mods changed my name
Oct 30, 2017
So yeah that's totally is what will happen.

Best Friends
Nov 4, 2011

Nostalgia4Infinity posted:

e2: imagine being a billionaire yet somehow still being so pathetic as to buy into the white genocide narrative

https://twitter.com/notch/status/936215345400033280

Notch is in my opinion one of the biggest losers of all time for managing to be 100% online, alone, resentful and miserable while inside a Malibu mansion and while having a billion dollars. It's breathtaking someone could succeed so well at finding unhappiness despite their circumstances.

Nostalgia4Infinity
Feb 27, 2007

10,000 YEARS WASN'T ENOUGH LURKING
The question is if Republicans would kill the filibuster to fulfill their destiny of permanent tax cuts for billionaires :thunk:

Nostalgia4Infinity
Feb 27, 2007

10,000 YEARS WASN'T ENOUGH LURKING
Yertle the Turtle going down in history as the man who destroyed the Senate is going to be pretty neat.

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

Yertle the Turtle going down in history as the man who destroyed the Senate is going to be pretty neat.

Only Louisville could create the anti Henry Clay.

BigDave
Jul 14, 2009

Taste the High Country

When is he up for reelection, anyway? I'd be hilarious if Bannon & Co run a Klansman against him and win by calling him a RINO.

UP THE BUM NO BABY
Sep 1, 2011

by Hand Knit
Can we rename the GOP the "Donor Party" and joke about how they're basically eating each other while trying to survive

Madurai
Jun 26, 2012

He can be on a plinth with that other great destroyer of senates, Jar-Jar Binks.

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

should have picked four fingers

Best Friends posted:

Notch is in my opinion one of the biggest losers of all time for managing to be 100% online, alone, resentful and miserable while inside a Malibu mansion and while having a billion dollars. It's breathtaking someone could succeed so well at finding unhappiness despite their circumstances.

Hahahahahahahahah I could tell you a thing or two

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PookBear
Nov 1, 2008

I've had this bad feeling in my stomach that they're just going to wind up completely gutting all of the rules of the senate so that everything requires 51 votes and thats it.

• Locked thread