Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Brute Squad
Dec 20, 2006

Laughter is the sun that drives winter from the human race

Slavic Crime Yacht posted:

Hahahahahahahahah I could tell you a thing or two

Please do.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

facialimpediment
Feb 11, 2005

as the world turns

45 ACP CURES NAZIS posted:

I've had this bad feeling in my stomach that they're just going to wind up completely gutting all of the rules of the senate so that everything requires 51 votes and thats it.

Don't worry about it too much. First up, Senators remember what it's like in the minority, they like the power of being able to halt things with a filibuster. Second, if Republicans do that with the filibuster, they still couldn't even get 50 votes for Obamacare repeal, so they still wouldn't be effective. Third, if the filibuster gets killed, in comes Medicare For All in 2-4 years.

Defenestrategy
Oct 24, 2010

facialimpediment posted:

Third, if the filibuster gets killed, in comes the democrats with incrementalism till Trump 2.0

Closer.

Zeroisanumber
Oct 23, 2010

Nap Ghost

I've had this bad feeling in my stomach that they're just going to wind up completely gutting all of the rules of the senate so that everything requires 51 votes and thats it.

Nah. They couldn't get 50 to kill the filibuster because not enough GOP senators would go along. And they can't kill the Byrd Rule because it's an actual law, not just a rule.

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

should have picked four fingers

Hang out in the discord and you'll hear my incoherent ramblings about gently caress the rich

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

facialimpediment posted:

Don't worry about it too much. First up, Senators remember what it's like in the minority, they like the power of being able to halt things with a filibuster. Second, if Republicans do that with the filibuster, they still couldn't even get 50 votes for Obamacare repeal, so they still wouldn't be effective. Third, if the filibuster gets killed, in comes Medicare For All in 2-4 years.

On the other hand 2017

Nostalgia4Infinity
Feb 27, 2007

10,000 YEARS WASN'T ENOUGH LURKING
Oh yeah CHIP is expiring soon.

:laffo:

UP THE BUM NO BABY
Sep 1, 2011

by Hand Knit
A poll from Rasmussen found respondents saying Fox should get the Fake News trophy

bloops
Dec 31, 2010

Thanks Ape Pussy!
I’m not entirely clear on what’s being voted on tonight. Is this the final vote to pass the tax bill or no?

Doc Hawkins
Jun 15, 2010

Dashing? But I'm not even moving!

Madurai posted:

He can be on a plinth with that other great goofy-looking alien destroyer of senates, Jar-Jar Binks.

The parallels are startling.

UP THE BUM NO BABY
Sep 1, 2011

by Hand Knit

cowboy elvis posted:

I’m not entirely clear on what’s being voted on tonight. Is this the final vote to pass the tax bill or no?

It was a vote to send it back to the committee that just passed it on a partisan line vote. Because they voted no, the tax bill will now move forward to the Senate floor to be voted on

e: and because the triggers were ruled to not meet the rules of reconciliation they have to rewrite that portion of the bill.

BigDave
Jul 14, 2009

Taste the High Country

UP THE BUM NO BABY posted:

It was a vote to send it back to the committee that just passed it on a partisan line vote. Because they voted no, the tax bill will now move forward to the Senate floor to be voted on

e: and because the triggers were ruled to not meet the rules of reconciliation they have to rewrite that portion of the bill.

If they have to rewrite it, does that mean it won't get voted on before the end of the week?

UP THE BUM NO BABY
Sep 1, 2011

by Hand Knit

BigDave posted:

If they have to rewrite it, does that mean it won't get voted on before the end of the week?

No, because McConnell wants it voted on by the end of this week in order to spend next week preventing the government from shutting down.

Vasudus
May 30, 2003
Republicans also of course sneaked a life begins at conception bit into the tax bill, because republicans.

But they're basically rewriting major portions of the tax bill in real time, on the senate floor.

UP THE BUM NO BABY
Sep 1, 2011

by Hand Knit
And then going to vote on it. With no idea of the repercussions.

:negative:

UP THE BUM NO BABY
Sep 1, 2011

by Hand Knit
On the other hand maybe we can watch them call some donors for tips on changes

BigDave
Jul 14, 2009

Taste the High Country

Vasudus posted:

But they're basically rewriting major portions of the tax bill in real time, on the senate floor.

Nitro, meet glycerin.

facialimpediment
Feb 11, 2005

as the world turns
poo poo bout to go crunk

https://twitter.com/FoxNews/status/936394803474063361

to save you a click:

quote:

A source inside the courtroom confirmed that the jury asked to see the gun used to shoot Steinle. Zarate and his defense team maintained the argument that the suspect found the stolen weapon on the pier that day and it "just fired."

The gun belonged to a federal Bureau of Land Management ranger and was stolen from his parked car a week earlier.

The bullet ricocheted on the pier's concrete walkway before it struck Steinle, killing her. Zarate has admitted to shooting Steinle, but says it was an accident.

However, the prosecution painted a very different picture, telling jurors that Zarate deliberately shot the gun towards Steinle while "playing his own secret version of Russian roulette."

facialimpediment fucked around with this message at 01:59 on Dec 1, 2017

Syrian Lannister
Aug 25, 2007

Oh, did I kill him too?
I've been a very busy little man.

Sugartime Jones

First comment about shutting down the CA justice system...

Vasudus
May 30, 2003
If things keep going the way they are with political tribalism it will seriously be a better idea to just balkanize the country. gently caress it.

Eugene V. Dubstep
Oct 4, 2013
Probation
Can't post for 8 years!

Vasudus posted:

If things keep going the way they are with political tribalism it will seriously be a better idea to just balkanize the country. gently caress it.

I like having citizenship rights even in red states

and a standing army

MRC48B
Apr 2, 2012

Both those arguments are loving terrible. what a shitshow.

Vasudus
May 30, 2003

at the date posted:

and a standing army

fine, country stays together

but i get my rear end to mars

PookBear
Nov 1, 2008

Vasudus posted:

alabama with nukes would unironically end the world

Stultus Maximus
Dec 21, 2009

USPOL May

alabama with nukes would unironically end the world

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oRLON3ddZIw

Hot Karl Marx
Mar 16, 2009

Politburo regulations about social distancing require to downgrade your Karlmarxing to cold, and sorry about the dnc primaries, please enjoy!
https://twitter.com/thehill/status/936406503111757827

Redistribute the rich

mlmp08
Jul 11, 2004

Prepare for my priapic projectile's exalted penetration
Nap Ghost

MRC48B posted:

Both those arguments are loving terrible. what a shitshow.

And that's how you get a "not guilty," which is a far cry from "very innocent" but will help you avoid a murder charge.

He was found guilty of being a convicted felon in possession of a weapon, though. He admitted to that much.

also:

quote:

The bullet ricocheted on the pier's concrete walkway before it struck Steinle, killing her. Zarate has admitted to shooting Steinle, but says it was an accident.

CRUSTY MINGE
Mar 30, 2011

Peggy Hill
Foot Connoisseur

Piece by piece, limb by limb. Victory gardens should be seeded upon the graves of the wealthy.

Casimir Radon
Aug 2, 2008

I'm guessing his wife wants a divorce and he knows he's never going to work again.

facialimpediment
Feb 11, 2005

as the world turns
So, Trump has been yelling at Senate Republicans on the Intel committee to wrap up the Russia probe they have going.

https://twitter.com/alexburnsNYT/status/936414832504471552

https://www.nytimes.com/2017/11/30/us/politics/trump-russia-senate-intel.html

Paging Bob!

Dog tax: https://twitter.com/CBSEveningNews/status/936382626675478528

Nostalgia4Infinity
Feb 27, 2007

10,000 YEARS WASN'T ENOUGH LURKING
Bomb sniffing cat could exist but cats are nihilists who want to see the world burn.

BadOptics
Sep 11, 2012

And yet cats were the ones who domesticated humans unlike these "brainy" dogs.

bloops
Dec 31, 2010

Thanks Ape Pussy!

What good is the Intel Committee doing that Mueller’s team isn’t covering?

mlmp08
Jul 11, 2004

Prepare for my priapic projectile's exalted penetration
Nap Ghost
Dog solves puzzle in record time, pleasing scientists. Cat sits in corner, bats at testing equipment wiring, gets fed anyway and dismissed from lab back to a comfy home.

Woodchip
Mar 28, 2010

:thunk:

Proud Christian Mom
Dec 20, 2006
READING COMPREHENSION IS HARD
cats arent dumb enough to go looking for bombs

facialimpediment
Feb 11, 2005

as the world turns

cowboy elvis posted:

What good is the Intel Committee doing that Mueller’s team isn’t covering?

Senate Intel is going to be the "here's what happened and here's what we should do about it for next time" report.

Mueller will have no comment and lock people up.

EBB
Feb 15, 2005

I will admit as a cat person that cats are loving retarded.

Kazinsal
Dec 13, 2011

at the date posted:

and a standing army

Recall troops from red states, blue states declare independence, invade, continue Lord Sherman's work :getin:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Flikken
Oct 23, 2009

10,363 snaps and not a playoff win to show for it

I LICK APE PUSSY posted:

I will admit as a cat person that cats are loving retarded.

Depends on the cat, I've had some bright ones and some goddamn stupid ones.

• Locked thread