Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Neukoln19
Oct 27, 2005
Thtar Thitithen

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bag em and tag em
Nov 4, 2008

Blazing Ownager posted:

Funny thing is as much as EA wanted SC you think they'd been all the gently caress over making their own space sim, and they'd beat SC to the punch, too. Then people could be spending money on packs of cards with ships on them instead

EA probably extremely jelly that SC has perfected milking their audience to the point that they don't even have to make a game.

Stick Figure Mafia
Dec 11, 2004

Wait so they've switched from Cryengine to Amazon Lumberyard (which is basically Cryengine)?
Was this a cost saving measure or what?

Space Camp fuckup
Aug 2, 2003

My coworker gave up playing video games so that he could donate his disposable income to Star Citizen. Now he just watches Youtube videos about it and talks to redditors or whoever about how great it's going to be when it comes out. He's been doing this for 3+ years now. I think he might be retarded.

VictorianQueerLit
Aug 25, 2017

Stick Figure Mafia posted:

Wait so they've switched from Cryengine to Amazon Lumberyard (which is basically Cryengine)?
Was this a cost saving measure or what?

Well despite one of the primary talking points of people who buy in being that this is the most open game development project in history with 100% transparency nobody knows things like this.

Here is what Chris Roberts had to say. He rarely speaks out on things like this but there was a lot of bad press because :siren:ENGINE CHANGE:siren: isn't a good look for the Duke Nukem Forever of MMORPGs.
https://www.extremetech.com/extreme...wont-delay-game

quote:

Lumberyard and StarEngine are both forks from exactly the SAME build of CryEngine.

We stopped taking new builds from Crytek towards the end of 2015. So did Amazon. Because of this the core of the engine that we use is the same one that Amazon use and the switch was painless (I think it took us a day or so of two engineers on the engine team). What runs Star Citizen and Squadron 42 is our heavily modified version of the engine which we have dubbed StarEngine, just now our foundation is Lumberyard not CryEngine. None of our work was thrown away or modified. We switched the like for like parts of the engine from CryEngine to Lumberyard. All of our bespoke work from 64 bit precision, new rendering and planet tech, Item / Entity 2.0, Local Physics Grids, Zone System, Object Containers and so on were unaffected and remain unique to Star Citizen.

Going forward we will utilize the features of Lumberyard that make sense for Star Citizen. We made this choice as Amazon’s and our focus is aligned in building massively online games that utilize the power of cloud computing to deliver a richer online experience than would be possible with an old fashioned single server architecture (which is what CryNetwork is).

We have a semi-reliable source of leaks that mentioned Amazon devs were sent in to help and that there might be a partnership between the two so that Chris Roberts could get outside sources of income. I think people expected Amazon to start up their gaming wing by operating at a loss like they usually do so it was entirely plausible that they would throw money at Star Citizen to make it the first official Amazon Gaming Game(tm)

Leaks said the devs evaporated and nobody ever mentioned it again including Amazon or CIG so nobody knows or will probably ever know what kind of deal was possibly being made there.

Grevling
Dec 18, 2016

The lo the prophet said to the nerds: thy possessions thou shalt give unto me, and in Space thou shalt have big space ships that go pew and space land in plenty. And they did so.

ScRoTo TuRbOtUrD
Jan 21, 2007

I bought space pirates and zombies 2 in early release because it looked and played really well and now i own it and its a combination of rebel galaxy and mount and blade. It even has a vr mode. They kept us informed during the development progress and they released on time. And you pretty much got to see how a semi-competent development cycle looked like from the end-product view.

It is a very entertaining pc game. I cant recommend it enough.

Cost me :10bux:

Who What Now
Sep 10, 2006

by Azathoth
How do you but land in space?

ScRoTo TuRbOtUrD
Jan 21, 2007

Its a completely different experience from spaz 1 though

Fanatic
Mar 9, 2006

:eyepop:
Star Citizen is like what might've happened if that one terrible goon's Crimson Haze idea ever took off.

VictorianQueerLit
Aug 25, 2017

Who What Now posted:

How do you but land in space?

There will be 100 systems in addition to extra space to explore with hundreds of planets and moons rendered in real scales.

You will also be able to interact with the terrain like minecraft, but in 4k resolution at ten times the graphical quality of any game currently on the market.

So you really need to be able to go out and claim a $100 area of land the size of manhattan to start building a base with your $850 base building space ship. Otherwise you might find one of the other 5,000,000 players Chris Roberts expects messing with your space potatoes or whatever.

You can just pay like $1,150 for a space farm ship though so that's where the smart money is. While all of you rubes will be fighting over your land I'll taking a poo poo in my space toilet while my space potatoes are free and clear of any interference.

Edit: I also paid $150 for the particle accelerator upgrade to my space farm ship. So go buy your cheap $300 space news van to see all of the fantastic science things I will be able to do in addition to growing space potatoes.

VictorianQueerLit fucked around with this message at 00:51 on Dec 1, 2017

COMRADES
Apr 3, 2017

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
And then someone in a $10,000 ship comes and blows you up welcome STAR CITIZEN.

UNCUT PHILISTINE
Jul 27, 2006

VictorianQueerLit posted:

There will be 100 systems in addition to extra space to explore with hundreds of planets and moons rendered in real scales.

You will also be able to interact with the terrain like minecraft, but in 4k resolution at ten times the graphical quality of any game currently on the market.

So you really need to be able to go out and claim a $100 area of land the size of manhattan to start building a base with your $850 base building space ship. Otherwise you might find one of the other 5,000,000 players Chris Roberts expects messing with your space potatoes or whatever.

You can just pay like $1,150 for a space farm ship though so that's where the smart money is. While all of you rubes will be fighting over your land I'll taking a poo poo in my space toilet while my space potatoes are free and clear of any interference.

Edit: I also paid $150 for the particle accelerator upgrade to my space farm ship. So go buy your cheap $300 space news van to see all of the fantastic science things I will be able to do in addition to growing space potatoes.

You forgot hot tubs. The space ships have hot tubs that a designer spent time modifying because citizens wanted more of a sophisticated style (embedded in the floor) instead of party style (above ground). Whether or not this style of Space Hot Tub will please all the nerds remains to be seen.

VictorianQueerLit
Aug 25, 2017

COMRADES posted:

And then someone in a $10,000 ship comes and blows you up welcome STAR CITIZEN.

:smug: excuse you but the most expensive ship is currently only $3,000 dollars. A pittance. :smug:

You guys should see the rationalizations for why Star Citizen isn't pay to win. People are arguing that you had to spend time at a job to earn the money so therefore using it to buy spaceships isn't an advantage in the game because you also have to spend time in the game to earn the currency for the ship.

One guy responded to a comment like yours on reddit by saying that the $3000 ships will be so expensive to maintain that the owners won't feel the need to waste their time doing anything other than trying to pay for them so therefore the biggest ships will not be an advantage at all.

brakeless
Apr 11, 2011

So how big is the biggest confirmed whale for this thing? Is there some mouthbreather on record bragging about blowing ten grand or whatever on this poo poo?

Pitdragon
Jan 20, 2004
Just another lurker

brakeless posted:

So how big is the biggest confirmed whale for this thing? Is there some mouthbreather on record bragging about blowing ten grand or whatever on this poo poo?

i'm pretty sure there is a goon that spent more than that, the big whales have got to be in the hundreds of thousands spent

VictorianQueerLit
Aug 25, 2017

brakeless posted:

We know of several people admitted to $30,000 - $40,000. The biggest confirmed is a guy that named himself after the anime girl Miku
https://twitter.com/CliffordakaMiku/status/934102043404460033
https://twitter.com/CliffordakaMiku/status/935617124273475584

He recently posted pictures to his hangar page that I can't find right now(found it) that he was at around $47,000 before buying $1,000 in land the other day.
https://twitter.com/CliffordakaMiku/status/908661764304330752
He also sends food and presents to the CIG offices and buys T-Shirts 10 at a time so He's probably conservatively spent around $60,000 or more.

There are rumors of people in the six figure range. I think it's possible as long as this has been going on. There are apparently some extremely fanatic europeans that aren't that vocal but host their own conventions and everything.

VictorianQueerLit fucked around with this message at 01:07 on Dec 1, 2017

Manic Technophile
Nov 13, 2017

by FactsAreUseless

brakeless posted:

I know one guy spent at least 40 grand

COMRADES
Apr 3, 2017

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
Some of these people are going to kill themselves holy poo poo.

Pimpcasso
Mar 13, 2002

VOLS BITCH

COMRADES posted:

this is the best timeline

VictorianQueerLit
Aug 25, 2017

COMRADES posted:

When you spend all day mocking this poo poo in the Star Citizen thread you kind of get numb to the amounts of money being thrown around by people. When you see people dropping $900 for torpedo bombers or $850 for land claiming ships or $250 for a car you kind of stop processing how big the actual amounts are.

I think it's part of what drove everyone that follows Star Citizen insane. How do you reconcile with logic that someone would pay nine hundred dollars for a space ship that doesn't even exist as a concept in a game that doesn't exist.

paul_soccer10
Mar 28, 2016

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
whats up schizophrenia thread

Pitdragon
Jan 20, 2004
Just another lurker

When you spend all day mocking this poo poo in the Star Citizen thread you kind of get numb to the amounts of money being thrown around by people. When you see people dropping $900 for torpedo bombers or $850 for land claiming ships or $250 for a car you kind of stop processing how big the actual amounts are.

I think it's part of what drove everyone that follows Star Citizen insane. How do you reconcile with logic that someone would pay nine hundred dollars for a space ship that doesn't even exist as a concept in a game that doesn't exist.

chris roberts learned from hypemen of the past but had the revelation that if you never release a finished product then you can continue hyping and bilking customers with no fear of being contradicted by reality

ScRoTo TuRbOtUrD
Jan 21, 2007

Does cig accept bitcoin

Creamed Cormp
Jan 8, 2011

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
with $40000 he could also have :

- travelled all over the world for a year, without being particularly conservative about money.
- try 2 different restaurants every day for a year
- he could have given it all to charity, which would have given him more than enough karma points to fully compensate for 2 murders (at least)
- he could have gotten into some expensive hobby like muscle cars or cigars or whatever
- he could have gotten a shitload of guns and robbed a bank to get even more money
- I'm pretty sure he could have learned to fly, at least on some sort of simple plane like one of those cessnas from flight simulator

he could have done so many fun, cool, exciting or just entertaining things, but instead he decided to spend it all on a game that will go down in history as one of the most obvious scams ever

I mean poo poo, what would you guys have done with $40000? even the dumbest of you would have done something smarter with that money.

VikingSkull
Jan 23, 2017
Look Viking you're a trash Trump supporter what the fuck makes you think you can have an avatar that isn't what I decide? Shut your fucking trap and go away. Your trolling is tiresome and just shits up the forum.

COMRADES posted:

inshallah

brakeless
Apr 11, 2011

godspeed anime girl spaceman, god loving speed

Pitdragon
Jan 20, 2004
Just another lurker
maybe this is all chris roberts plan to get these people so invested that when things finally come crashing down he'll have an army of desperate nerds detached from reality that he can sic on whoever he wants by claiming that it's their fault that Star Citizen will never be

eonwe
Aug 11, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
its bad op

spacetoaster
Feb 10, 2014

brakeless posted:

Here you go my man. This is just a couple.

There are dudes who have spent the last 6 years giving every spare dollar to this thing.

eonwe
Aug 11, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
I remember when the star citizen thread was in games and everyone got mad at me for making fun of it

eonwe
Aug 11, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

spacetoaster posted:

Here you go my man. This is just a couple.

There are dudes who have spent the last 6 years giving every spare dollar to this thing.

for a time there were also goons with 10k plus in it

spacetoaster
Feb 10, 2014

COMRADES posted:

Sad, but true.

There are many, many more people with actual Star Citizen tattoos. It's, well, it's crazy.

eonwe
Aug 11, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
there is a star citizen convention

spacetoaster
Feb 10, 2014

eonwe posted:

I remember when the star citizen thread was in games and everyone got mad at me for making fun of it

You were just ahead of your time.

ditty bout my clitty
May 28, 2011

by FactsAreUseless
Fun Shoe

After his lynching, Chris will be known as the best thief in history

Jorge Bell
Aug 2, 2006
I like watching the youtube content they put out and I like the idea of a game with a persistent universe & multi crew ships. I don't get why people put thousands of dollars into a space game that doesn't exist and feel a bit burned on what's basically been a $50 preorder (cheapest ship bundle that came with the game) but I don't really follow all the accusations that it's a sham. It's clearly just barely started actual development within the last year though.

I suppose I'm just confused about what all the fuss is about?

Pitdragon
Jan 20, 2004
Just another lurker

spacetoaster posted:

Sad, but true.

There are many, many more people with actual Star Citizen tattoos. It's, well, it's crazy.

all of this is just more proof that chris is building an army. you may laugh now, but think of the world we live in. one day, you will wake up, and chris roberts will be on youtube dressed in spandex with a mask and a voice changer demanding his loyal acolytes punish those responsible for the destruction of their dreams

eonwe
Aug 11, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

We know of several people admitted to $30,000 - $40,000. The biggest confirmed is a guy that named himself after the anime girl Miku
https://twitter.com/CliffordakaMiku/status/934102043404460033
https://twitter.com/CliffordakaMiku/status/935617124273475584

He recently posted pictures to his hangar page that I can't find right now(found it) that he was at around $47,000 before buying $1,000 in land the other day.
https://twitter.com/CliffordakaMiku/status/908661764304330752
He also sends food and presents to the CIG offices and buys T-Shirts 10 at a time so He's probably conservatively spent around $60,000 or more.

There are rumors of people in the six figure range. I think it's possible as long as this has been going on. There are apparently some extremely fanatic europeans that aren't that vocal but host their own conventions and everything.

that guy was given free ships by cig that he sold to people

he may even br doing this as a shill

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

spacetoaster
Feb 10, 2014

eonwe posted:

there is a star citizen convention

Citizencon. It's a con....get it?