Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Xalidur
Jun 4, 2012

The best part of Tales games is being able to play them coop with My Wife. They should copy that part in a Xenoblade game.

Of course, then they'd need to do what Tales does to help compensate for the added help over AI, which is to add "grind your balls into mulch and eat them for lunch" difficulty modes. Which, come to think of it, they should do that too anyway.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

the plot was awful but it was also pretty painless, it moved along fast and there weren't even long cutscenes, even major plot developments were kind of blitzed past. id certainly take an awful plot that gets out of the way over a mediocre plot that drags on forever.

and there were some decent jokes in the main arc. like mwa-mwa-hanky-panky. or pretty much all of the post-bttle quotes.

Calaveron
Aug 7, 2006
:negative:
Durr durr I’m Asbel my best friend for life of a week when I was 8 years old is obviously possessed by an ancient evil and is running around stabbing corpses and cackling maniacally and doing poo poo to ensure the destruction of our moon durr hurr I should do everything to help him further his goals

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

'the plot is awful'
'but the plot is awful!'
'the plot is bad.'
'the plot is bad, though!"

Calaveron
Aug 7, 2006

Endorph posted:

'the plot is awful'
'but the plot is awful!'
'the plot is bad.'

The plot is terrible man

Caphi
Jan 6, 2012

INCREDIBLE

Calaveron posted:

Durr durr I’m Asbel my best friend for life of a week when I was 8 years old is obviously possessed by an ancient evil and is running around stabbing corpses and cackling maniacally and doing poo poo to ensure the destruction of our moon durr hurr I should do everything to help him further his goals

Man I'm not going to claim that Graces' plot is good but this goes from half-right to not remotely true.

Calaveron
Aug 7, 2006

Caphi posted:

Man I'm not going to claim that Graces' plot is good but this goes from half-right to not remotely true.

Caphi posted:

See the thing is that I’d have to play Graces again to remember all the details and pfffff nothin doin

Caphi
Jan 6, 2012

INCREDIBLE

Calaveron posted:

See the thing is that I’d have to play Graces again to remember all the details and pfffff nothin doin

I mean, yeah, go ahead and only sorta remember only the first three hours of Graces and be at peace for the rest of your life, but then don't battle on the hill of the details of the remainder.

Calaveron
Aug 7, 2006

Caphi posted:

I mean, yeah, go ahead and only sorta remember only the first three hours of Graces and be at peace for the rest of your life, but then don't battle on the hill of the details of the remainder.

The first three hours is the children arc and I remember details at least all the way up to the stupid stupid stupid wall city dungeon

So Xenoblade 2 huh. Is there a moment as cool as entering Gaur Plains in XB1

Ventana
Mar 28, 2010

*Yosh intensifies*

Fair enough, though for future reference, did you mean the former or the latter? I assumed it was the latter cause thats what I mostly see the Tales series as, but maybe that's because I'm going anime-blind these days

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused

Endorph posted:

'the plot is awful'
'but the plot is awful!'
'the plot is bad.'

You need to say its worse. Really get mad about it. Maybe make an angry youtube rant video.

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

> BEWARE, COWARD :ovr:

Starting to read reviews and I'm getting the impression preordering might have been a bad call (as usual). Some of the sticking points might be genuine showstoppers for me.

Guess we'll see tonight/tomorrow :shrug:

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Scholars are some of the most pompous and pedantic people I've ever had the joy of meeting.

Endorph posted:

cockney accents in jrpgs were pioneered by dq8

Yet another reason that game was bad.

AlphaKeny1
Feb 17, 2006

All animes are trash but I play them any way because I am a trash man

Red Alert 2 Yuris Revenge
May 8, 2006

"My brain is amazing! It's full of wrinkles, and... Uh... Wait... What am I trying to say?"
Anime is good, Tales is a better series than DQ, I preordered this game let's gooooo

socialsecurity
Aug 30, 2003

This going playable at midnight est?

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

Anyone with the game already feel like going over the battle/game mechanics at all? from the OP and the direct video it doesn't seem all that bad at first blush but the reviews I've seen plus the news that the tutorializing is crap leaves me wondering

MrMidnight
Aug 3, 2006

Ciaphas posted:

Starting to read reviews and I'm getting the impression preordering might have been a bad call (as usual). Some of the sticking points might be genuine showstoppers for me.

I'm in your same boat. It's going to take a lot to overlook the extreme anime tropes.

Calaveron
Aug 7, 2006
I mean sure when you think about it XB1 was pretty cliche because
The protagonist is a hot blooded young adult genius with a magic sword who swears revenge after his hometown is ravaged and his girlfriend murdered by an enemy and is accompanied by a very cliche ragtag band of adventurers including a childhood friend, a princess, a cute mascot and a mentor war veteran
It's a simple us vs. them story
You're meant to go on a simple journey from point A to point B (I actually forgot why and where Shulk and Reyn were travelling. They wanted to get help from Colony 8 to fight the mechons or something right?)

BUT

The protagonist's murderous rage is super well justified and presented very well, and his realization that his anger is robbing him of his humanity and that there might be a better way to fix things flows very naturally and the other party members are a lot of fun and their relationships feel organic
The them is a super inscrutable, alien, and scary force with a strong presence throughout the entire game with their mysteries unraveling in a satisfying way
You're traveling along the carcasses of two gigantic titans who died fighting on their feet with some incredibly creative settings

All those things and a couple more made XB1's story feel refreshing
And I'm not saying all the other modern jrpgs are bad but XB1 was such a combination of good things it stands out so much

Zore
Sep 21, 2010
willfully illiterate, aggressively miserable sourpuss whose sole raison d’etre is to put other people down for liking the wrong things
Whats the skill that blocked reviewers so I can make sure to grab a blade that has it?

Calaveron
Aug 7, 2006

Zore posted:

Whats the skill that blocked reviewers so I can make sure to grab a blade that has it?

It's the skill that allows you to speak with pretty girls

Dirk the Average
Feb 7, 2012

"This may have been a mistake."

Calaveron posted:

It's the skill that allows you to speak with pretty girls

I can't tell if you're serious, and that is legitimately terrifying.

Suburban Dad
Jan 10, 2007

Well what's attached to a leash that it made itself?
The punchline is the way that you've been fuckin' yourself

Ciaphas posted:

Watching this https://kotaku.com/xenoblade-chronicles-2-is-a-super-nintendo-game-microw-1820863338 made me chuckle, but also gave me that same feeling. :( At least I can return it to Amazon? I'll read a few more reviews.

DLC Inc
Jun 1, 2011

lol at people preordering this and then getting disappointed just somehow loving finding out now that this is a game from Japan. like what the gently caress were you expecting

Raxivace
Sep 9, 2014

DLC Inc posted:

lol at people preordering this and then getting disappointed just somehow loving finding out now that this is a game from Japan. like what the gently caress were you expecting
Maybe Xenoblade fans don't actually like Xenoblade.

8-bit Miniboss
May 24, 2005

CORPO COPS CAME FOR MY :filez:
Game is a JRPG and is everything I expected it to be. 10/10.

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Hello? Can you hear me? ...Perhaps if I shout? AAAAAAAAAH!
I'm honestly confused how you watch 3+ trailers and still surprised at what the game is.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

yeah i can get not liking the art style change or the mishmashy blade designs or whatever, but like, all of those things have been plainly obvious

Unlucky7
Jul 11, 2006

Fallen Rib
I think those people may be fixating on things like “10 hours of not particularly helpful tutorials that you cannot even review” than “Injects anime into your eyes”.

8-bit Miniboss
May 24, 2005

Some Discord friends and I are gonna have a fun game. Post their first rare blade and see who gets the most embarrassing one.

Macdeo Lurjtux
Jul 5, 2011

BRRREADSTOOORRM!

socialsecurity posted:

This going playable at midnight est?

Midnight PST.

8-bit Miniboss
May 24, 2005

Macdeo Lurjtux posted:

Midnight PST.

Midnight EST actually.

http://en-americas-support.nintendo.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/12968/~/nintendo-eshop-pre-purchase-and-pre-load-faq

Shadow Ninja 64
May 21, 2007

"I stood there, wondering why the puck was getting bigger...

and then it hit me."

8-bit Miniboss posted:

Some Discord friends and I are gonna have a fun game. Post their first rare blade and see who gets the most embarrassing one.

That sounds fun. I'll try to remember to do that here, too.

But Rocks Hurt Head
Jun 30, 2003

by Hand Knit
Pillbug
my body is ready for the most anime game

BabyRyoga
May 21, 2001

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021

Calaveron posted:

I mean if XB2 is like a Tales of Vesperia or Berseria then that’d be super cool but if it’s like Tales of Graces or Zestiria just burn it all down

What about Tales of Rebirth, literally the best Tales game?

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused

Unlucky7 posted:

I think those people may be fixating on things like “10 hours of not particularly helpful tutorials that you cannot even review” than “Injects anime into your eyes”.

That's fair but after Xenoblade X everyone should of been wary of this game having obtuse mechanics. That game was such a ridiculously bloated mess.

Its weird since the first Xenoblade Chronicles is pretty easy to understand. I dunno what changed to make them decide that explaining stuff wasn't important.

LostRook
Jun 7, 2013
Aren't Gamespot and Kotaku notorious for hating JRPGs that aren't Persona?

LostRook fucked around with this message at 04:30 on Dec 1, 2017

Badingading
Sep 2, 2011

LostRook posted:

Aren't Gamespot and Kotaku notorious for hating JRPGs that aren't Persona?

Jason Schreier's a JRPG fanboy but he absolutely hated XBC1.

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused

Badingading posted:

Jason Schreier's a JRPG fanboy but he absolutely hated XBC1.

the gently caress

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

Unlucky7 posted:

Yes this is what I meant, thank you