Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

Oh no oh god it's all true!

SolidSnakesBandana posted:

I remember the "leak" or whatever it was coming out and everybody being excited as gently caress about it. Everyone loved it.

Incorrect.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004
I definitely remember the response to DX3 around here being pretty drat positive for the most part, with the exception of the low points like the bosses.

Accordion Man
Nov 7, 2012

Buglord
I only played through Vanilla HR and it was a great game despite the lovely boss fights.

Disgusting Coward
Feb 17, 2014
I liked punching out the entire world and stuffing them into air vents. Also that one aug where you could jump on people all electric and whatnot.

ALTHOUGH

When I played the original Deus Ex I was very very stoned and so when Maggie Chow turns out to have a secret cupboard full of evil MS13 guys and also the magic sword I felt very betrayed, because I had believed her when she claimed to have no knowledge of the sword's whereabouts so I responded by shooting her in the face, shooting her maid in the face, piling their corpses onto a sofa, lighting the sofa on fire and throwing it out the window. I then magic leg jumped across to Jock's apartment and took the elevator down to street level, where I found my viking sofa pyre had hit a pedestrian and killed them. When I went to the temple later one of the Luminous Tong guys was like "We are watching you. We know what you did" so I ended up being like "Oh poo poo they know about the couch" so I shot him and hid him, and then a kid saw me so I had to shoot the kid, and then half an hour later I had a corpse pile that was head-high and I realised that they probably say that no matter what the player does. I had slaughtered Hong Kong for naught. Can't get that kind of emergent gameplay nowadays.

Disgusting Coward fucked around with this message at 09:42 on Dec 1, 2017

Accordion Man
Nov 7, 2012

Buglord

Disgusting Coward posted:

When I played the original Deus Ex I was very very stoned and so when Maggie Chow turns out to have a secret cupboard full of evil MS13 guys and also the magic sword I felt very betrayed, because I had believed her when she claimed to have no knowledge of the sword's whereabouts so I responded by shooting her in the face, shooting her maid in the face, piling their corpses onto a sofa, lighting the sofa on fire and throwing it out the window. I then magic leg jumped across to Jock's apartment and took the elevator down to street level, where I found my viking sofa pyre had hit a pedestrian and killed them. When I went to the temple later one of the Luminous Tong guys was like "We are watching you. We know what you did" so I ended up being like "Oh poo poo they know about the couch" so I shot him and hid him, and then a kid saw me so I had to shoot the kid, and then half an hour later I had a corpse pile that was head-high and I realised that they probably say that no matter what the player does. I had slaughtered Hong Kong for naught. Can't get that kind of emergent gameplay nowadays.
What a shame.

Propaganda Hour
Aug 25, 2008

after editing wikipedia as a joke for 16 years, i ve convinced myself that homer simpson's japanese name translates to the "The beer goblin"
I remember really liking Human Revolution when it came out, but I tried to replay it when the Director's Cut was released and it found it insufferable. I bounced off Mankind Divided pretty hard when it came out, too. It's a shame because MD seemed really promising.

Wildtortilla
Jul 8, 2008
I like Wolfenstein the New Order, but all these collectibles scattered about are a real drag to hunt down. I did some Googling and it sounds safe to ignore them, I'm never going to play the extra game modes the enigma codes can unlock and it seems like the letters, artwork, treasures, etc only unlock achievements. Am I correct in my understanding of how this works?

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
The only collectibles that do anything gameplay-wise are the ones that permanently give you +10 health or armor apiece (depending on which timeline you're on), and they're all put in relatively obvious spots.

edit: You also can completely skip hunting for them by sleeping in your bed at the safehouse between missions. It'll just plop them on the bedside table.

CJacobs fucked around with this message at 11:58 on Dec 1, 2017

Gort
Aug 18, 2003

Good day what ho cup of tea

Wildtortilla posted:

I like Wolfenstein the New Order, but all these collectibles scattered about are a real drag to hunt down. I did some Googling and it sounds safe to ignore them, I'm never going to play the extra game modes the enigma codes can unlock and it seems like the letters, artwork, treasures, etc only unlock achievements. Am I correct in my understanding of how this works?

I bumbled through the game basically without using the map function (which shows the collectables) and did fine, so you should be OK too.

Kazzah
Jul 15, 2011

Formerly known as
Krazyface
Hair Elf
For what it's worth, the game just lets you replay any mission whenever, in either timeline, keeping all your upgrades. You can just play through casually, and go back to get all the stuff some other time.

Wildtortilla
Jul 8, 2008
I will probably never go hunt down anything I missed. I don't enjoy collecting things. I'm tolerating it in DOOM cause you can get an upgrade that shows the location of the collectibles, and in that game they are used for unlocking more gun upgrades and other fun things. So they're worthwhile and not too obscure. But Wolfenstein's collectibles exist only to be collected. Good for anyone who enjoys hunting for items, but I'd rather charge forward and keep shooting nazis in increasingly wild situations.

Gort
Aug 18, 2003

Good day what ho cup of tea

Wildtortilla posted:

I will probably never go hunt down anything I missed. I don't enjoy collecting things. I'm tolerating it in DOOM cause you can get an upgrade that shows the location of the collectibles, and in that game they are used for unlocking more gun upgrades and other fun things. So they're worthwhile and not too obscure. But Wolfenstein's collectibles exist only to be collected. Good for anyone who enjoys hunting for items, but I'd rather charge forward and keep shooting nazis in increasingly wild situations.

Yeah, I'm pretty much the same as you. I'll collect stuff if it gives me gameplay advantages, but the act of collection alone isn't enough to make me do it.

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

CJacobs posted:

edit: You also can completely skip hunting for them by sleeping in your bed at the safehouse between missions. It'll just plop them on the bedside table.

That's just how you're supposed to get the safehouse collectibles.

HGH
Dec 20, 2011
The best "collectible" in Doom was the infinite ammo when above 100 armor rune. It's locked behind one hell of a trial but once you get that a whole new world of possibilities opens up.
Combined with easier glory kills and armor dropping from glory kills, you just end up on a neverending rampage. Well, even more of one.

Wildtortilla
Jul 8, 2008
I played Doom months ago during a free weekend and couldn't get into it. Then during the Autumn sale someone here recommended trying the Arcade mode cause it's fully upgraded runes and guns without collectibles. The game leads you from objective to objective and you exist solely to destroy demons as quickly as possible. So I bought it and had trouble getting into it because of the life system. So I came to terms with the base game, bought the suit upgrades to show the upgrade collectibles, and have been really enjoying it now.

This soundtrack, holy smokes. I'm having a hard time thinking of a game with music that gets you pumped up as much as this game. That music picks up and all I wanna do is rip through some fuckin' demons.

Black Griffon
Mar 12, 2005

Now, in the quantum moment before the closure, when all become one. One moment left. One point of space and time.

I know who you are. You are destiny.

I think Doom is the game that made me realize harder difficulties are nearly always better, excluding games where enemies either turn into boring bullet sponges or completely unfair singularity-class AI. My first run when it was released was a Nightmare run, and I struggled like all hell, my last Nightmare run a couple of weeks ago was easy, and it made me realize I've gotten way better at games despite the fact that I've passed that twitch reflex age threshold.

Play games on hard it's fun is what I'm saying. One day I'll complete Ultra Nightmare.

Wildtortilla
Jul 8, 2008
What do the higher difficulties add in Doom? I'm a fan of higher difficulties adding more enemies/different combos of enemies. Increasing damage enemies deal is fine, but different combos of enemies is like a strategic difficulty, whereas making numbers bigger is the easy way to make a hard mode that's rarely fun.

Black Griffon
Mar 12, 2005

Now, in the quantum moment before the closure, when all become one. One moment left. One point of space and time.

I know who you are. You are destiny.

More than anything it requires you to react faster, play faster and more skillfully and retain situational awareness. The strategic change is that you cannot in any way afford to stand still or think, you have to move kill repeat and it's completely exhilarating. In many games your mobility is too limited to actually do that, take CoD for example, even in the ones with enhanced mobility, the level design is such that it turns into a slog even if you try to get good at wallrunning and such. Doom, however, is old school in all the right ways.

Shibawanko
Feb 13, 2013

Wildtortilla posted:

I think well designed games shouldn't even tempt you with that poo poo, one of the worst development in games was the emergence of the collect-a-thon, games like Banjo Kazooie where you're compelled to hunt after items that do nothing. Most people have some tendency towards compulsively collecting poo poo even if they don't actually enjoy doing so, part of them wants to "finish the game", so leaving behind stuff, even if it does nothing, feels annoying. Finding secrets or things that have some clear payoff is a different story, I didn't mind hunting diamonds in Far Cry 2 for example because it let me buy new weapons (but a better option would have been to just find the weapons themselves and thereby unlocking them).

I think I particularly don't like collectibles because they remind me of the pointlessness of playing games as such. I want to be able to suspend my knowledge that I'm doing something useless so that I can continue to enjoy it.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

My view on collectibles is that they aren't fun, except sometimes they are, and it is directly proportional to my own opinion of the game as a whole.

il_cornuto
Oct 10, 2004

Banjo Kazooie is a great game, Assassin's Creed is the example you want for pointless collectables. The biggest problem with collectables nowadays IMO is that game worlds have got much larger and more complex, so while scouring every nook and cranny for notes in BK was very doable, in most games now it would just take far too long.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

Rare still has some of the worst examples of collectathons from almost two decades ago in the form of Jet Force Gemini, DK64, etc. I appreciate designers who at least recognize that seeing a whole bunch of question marks light up on the overworld map creates a deep sense of anxiety for some, rather than enthusiasm. I also appreciate games that just let you buy the collectibles to bypass to whole acquisition aspect.

Deformed Church
May 12, 2012

5'5", IQ 81

I don't mind a collectable if finding it is interesting. If it's just an exercise in dragging me for not checking behind the right box that's stupid.

Seventh Arrow
Jan 26, 2005

Wildtortilla posted:

This soundtrack, holy smokes. I'm having a hard time thinking of a game with music that gets you pumped up as much as this game. That music picks up and all I wanna do is rip through some fuckin' demons.

The composer of DOOM's soundtrack has some really interesting stories about how it all came about :

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U4FNBMZsqrY

Pastry of the Year
Apr 12, 2013

I want this.

Griefor
Jun 11, 2009
Isn't Banjo Kazooie like Mario 64, but with puzzle pieces instead of stars? Or is there some other type of collectible there?

I really like the Mario 64 stars style collectible because it's a great alternative to the linear progression most games before it had. It allows you to pick and choose what level/challenge you'd like to play, expanding the options as you get further in the game and being able to skip a level to come back to later if you're stuck on it.

The type most people hate is the hide-and-seek type, where you are at 97/100 and there is zero indication of where the final 3 might be in the entire game world. Although there exist games that hand you enough tools and keep the quantity limited enough to make those not completely terrible either.

McSpanky
Jan 16, 2005

quote:

* Date and marry one of nine eligible cats

:swoon:

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

You cheated not only the game, but yourself.
But most of all, you cheated BABA

That is stupid cute and I want it :kimchi:

Ulio
Feb 17, 2011

Doorknob Slobber posted:

If I remember right when human revolution came out the main thread consensus was that it was ok at best terrible at worst

Not to harp too much on this but I remember the perception of that game being very good. Very good dialogue and combat was alright for that kind third person stealth action. It was considered a worth entry in the Deus Ex series especially considering how bad invisible war was.

I am almost done with Alpha Protocol and it actually is kind of Deus Ex except it is not semi open world but mission based. Really think this game had great potential and lives up to it a bit. It is so fun playing a super smug secret agent, the characters are great(conspiracy maniac dude) and plot is actually understandable.

Big problem with this game is the gameplay. You can't play it as a third person shooter since too much of the shooting depends on numbers/rpg elements. And the rpg elements aren't even that good in terms of abilities. Most of the abilities you get are useless or just passive abilities which are useful but not fun. The cooldowns of said abilities are way too long even with perks that reduce their cooldown. Basically you can just play it as a third person stealth game until you get detected then you play it as a third person shooter with abilities.

Also the mini games to hack/break locks are incredibly hard. I don't know if this was affected by the hard difficulty setting or just in general.

McSpanky
Jan 16, 2005

StrixNebulosa posted:

I was prepared to get all ironic about it but the trailer and the dev's wholesome enthusiasm has melted my cynical goon heart, it looks like the platonic ideal of cuteness and I cannot resist.

il_cornuto
Oct 10, 2004

Griefor posted:

Isn't Banjo Kazooie like Mario 64, but with puzzle pieces instead of stars? Or is there some other type of collectible there?

The type most people hate is the hide-and-seek type, where you are at 97/100 and there is zero indication of where the final 3 might be in the entire game world. Although there exist games that hand you enough tools and keep the quantity limited enough to make those not completely terrible either.

There's also 100 notes per level, which are required to access areas of the hub world. In the original release, you had to get all 100 notes in one go too, otherwise it only counted your highest total per level towards opening the note doors. The Xbox Arcade release changed that so they functioned like normal collectables. There's also a couple of other important collectables - Jinjo's are basically the equivalent of red coins and Mumbo tokens let you unlock transformations. Again though, the levels were small enough that it wasn't a ridiculous task to find everything.

To get back to Steam stuff, aside from Hat in Time and Yooka-Laylee, are there any other N64 collectathon style platformers on Steam worth looking into?

Shibawanko
Feb 13, 2013

Griefor posted:

I really like the Mario 64 stars style collectible because it's a great alternative to the linear progression most games before it had. It allows you to pick and choose what level/challenge you'd like to play, expanding the options as you get further in the game and being able to skip a level to come back to later if you're stuck on it.

In Mario 64 it's a little different, the stars are more like the level exits from SMW although I agree that some of them were kind of annoying, especially the red coins. It's definitely a crutch that lets developers reuse the same level to inflate the game, again just like SMW which had "96 levels" but really far fewer than that.

Terminally Bored
Oct 31, 2011

Twenty-five dollars and a six pack to my name

StrixNebulosa posted:

Judging by the release date it might turn out to be one of the Humble Monthly games.

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

You cheated not only the game, but yourself.
But most of all, you cheated BABA

Terminally Bored posted:

Judging by the release date it might turn out to be one of the Humble Monthly games.

You can't trick me into buying H1Z1!

Terminally Bored
Oct 31, 2011

Twenty-five dollars and a six pack to my name
Nah, the monthly early unlocks have been terrible these past few months. Online crap.

SelenicMartian
Sep 14, 2013

Sometimes it's not the bomb that's retarded.

Soma now has an official mode with less deadly monsters.

Deakul
Apr 2, 2012

PAM PA RAM

PAM PAM PARAAAAM!

It is you that is incorrect, that playable leak solidified the game as an insta-buy for many many people including myself.

Ceyton
Oct 9, 2004

YOU'RE DEAD ARMITAGE!
YOU'RE DEAD ARMITAGE!
YOU'RE DEAD ARMITAGE!

DX:HR was viewed pretty positively. Sure, it has a few glaring problems (boss fights, bizarre animations during conversations, and a terrible final level), but they were all transient. The core elements (level design, combat, art, music, and writing) ranged from decent to excellent, generally tending towards the latter. The Missing Link DLC kept up the gameplay quality and addressed the boss fight issue quite well, though story-wise it was a really bad shoehorning attempt. Like someone upthread said, it was a breath of fresh air in a genre that had been increasingly dumbed down by DX:IW and the Bioshock series.

But it came out 6 years ago and I don't think it has aged very well. The combat is pretty creaky by modern standards, and Dishonored (and now Prey) one-upped it in pretty much every category. It doesn't look so good compared to its competition any more.

Ulio posted:

:words: Alpha Protocol :words:

Also the mini games to hack/break locks are incredibly hard. I don't know if this was affected by the hard difficulty setting or just in general.

Yeah, they were designed for twin sticks on a console, and the transition to PC broke them, especially on higher difficulty levels. AP is one of those games that's best on Easy difficulty, because it takes the edge off the bad gameplay while still letting you experience the incredibly good story/choice/conversation system.

Dyz
Dec 10, 2010

She Bangs the Drums posted:

please system shock was light years ahead of anything else.

Try playing it with the original controls.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem
I swear, goons have this anti-nostalgia thing going on where any popular game that ages past a certain threshold is suddenly bad and was always considered to be bad. Most people saw HR as a strong return to form, whose only major negatives were its boss fights and the fact that the original Deus Ex has achieved near-mythical status that no sequel can hope to match.