Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Garrand
Dec 28, 2012

Rhino, you did this to me!

Krispy Wafer posted:

We had a Golden Corral that literally killed someone (Salmonella outbreak). They found bacteria in the fryer, in the carpets, everywhere. And people were loving jonsing to get back into that place. Chipotle makes a few people sick and they see double digit declines in revenue. Golden Corral kills someone and their parking lot is full the moment the health inspector reopens the restaurant.

I've never been to one, but now I kind of want to go.

Living in the Midwest, I've been a couple of times and it's seriously not worth it on any level. No you won't see a bunch of funny poo poo you'll just find some fat or old (or both) people grabbing platefuls of mediocre food.

Garrand has a new favorite as of 17:55 on Nov 30, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

Haifisch posted:

Breakfast is delicious. All-day breakfast outside of sit-down restaurants is basically unheard of. You do the math.

Also from a personal perspective, the average McDonald's breakfast is a much more reasonable quantity of food than their regular meals(which invariably have 2-3 meals' worth of calories).

Breakfast is literally the only thing about McD's that I have no complaints about really, and gently caress you guys, now I want a bacon egg and cheese biscuit.

Garrand posted:

Living in the Midwest, I've been a couple of times and it's seriously not worth it on any level. No you won't see a bunch of funny poo poo you'll just find some fat or old (or both) people grabbing plateful of mediocre food mediocre food.

Yeah, this is really it when it comes to any buffet. It's just piles of mediocre food that olds and fats go apeshit for because it's all you can eat.

See also: Cici's Pizza, Ryan's Steakhouse, and Old Country Buffet. I've had experiences at all of them, and it's all mediocre and never my idea

Grand Prize Winner
Feb 19, 2007

I ate once at a golden corral and beheld a person on a mobility scooter dunking an entire plate of chicken wings into the chocolate fountain. Never again.

SpannerX
Apr 26, 2010

I had a beer with Stephen Harper once and now I like him.

Fun Shoe

Krispy Wafer posted:

We had a Golden Corral that literally killed someone (Salmonella outbreak). They found bacteria in the fryer, in the carpets, everywhere. And people were loving jonsing to get back into that place. Chipotle makes a few people sick and they see double digit declines in revenue. Golden Corral kills someone and their parking lot is full the moment the health inspector reopens the restaurant.

I've never been to one, but now I kind of want to go.

Same here. I wonder if it's stadium seating and if the snack bar is any good. Don't drink the water.

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

SpannerX posted:

Same here. I wonder if it's stadium seating and if the snack bar is any good. Don't drink the water.

Nope, they're all just big rooms full of tables with an area for you to go grab your food

Krispy Wafer
Jul 26, 2002

I shouted out "Free the exposed 67"
But they stood on my hair and told me I was fat

Grimey Drawer

Iron Crowned posted:

Breakfast is literally the only thing about McD's that I have no complaints about really, and gently caress you guys, now I want a bacon egg and cheese biscuit.

Yeah, this is really it when it comes to any buffet. It's just piles of mediocre food that olds and fats go apeshit for because it's all you can eat.

See also: Cici's Pizza, Ryan's Steakhouse, and Old Country Buffet. I've had experiences at all of them, and it's all mediocre and never my idea

We have a Stevie B's here, which is essentially an analogue to Cici's and the employees there are unnaturally happy. I only go because of kid's sports' team end-of-the-season parties, but it was creepy how friendly and anxious they were to serve you. I've heard Europeans be surprised at how friendly our wage slaves are and this felt like that. Like suddenly I was in a totally different culture where people had a compulsive desire to make sure I knew about their lovely BBQ chicken pizza that they slices of to my table so I don't have to walk the 20 feet.

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

Krispy Wafer posted:

We have a Stevie B's here, which is essentially an analogue to Cici's and the employees there are unnaturally happy. I only go because of kid's sports' team end-of-the-season parties, but it was creepy how friendly and anxious they were to serve you. I've heard Europeans be surprised at how friendly our wage slaves are and this felt like that. Like suddenly I was in a totally different culture where people had a compulsive desire to make sure I knew about their lovely BBQ chicken pizza that they slices of to my table so I don't have to walk the 20 feet.

:lol: I've never seen a cheerful wage slave at a buffet. I admit it's been at least 7 years now since I've been to one, but they're definitely not a place you go to for atmosphere, and they know it. They're just there to reload the trough and/or take your money and hand you an empty plastic plate and a well used plastic glass.

Neon Noodle
Nov 11, 2016

there's nothing wrong here in montana

quote:

:staredog:

That Hieronymus Bosch painting of hell, but it’s Golden Corral.

SpannerX
Apr 26, 2010

Fun Shoe

Iron Crowned posted:

Nope, they're all just big rooms full of tables with an area for you to go grab your food

Well, I don't want to be part of the entertainment, I'd actually probably was bullet proof glass between me and the participants, honestly.

Krispy Wafer
Jul 26, 2002

Grimey Drawer

Iron Crowned posted:

:lol: I've never seen a cheerful wage slave at a buffet. I admit it's been at least 7 years now since I've been to one, but they're definitely not a place you go to for atmosphere, and they know it. They're just there to reload the trough and/or take your money and hand you an empty plastic plate and a well used plastic glass.

Maybe not at a buffet, but I have heard Europeans marvel at how friendly our retail people are. And of course our waiters are far more helpful because of tipping and meth.

I remember being a snot nosed 19 year old and thinking everyone was joking when they said the buser was so fast because he was on crack.

ladron
Sep 15, 2007

eso es lo que es

Grand Prize Winner posted:

I ate once at a golden corral and beheld a person on a mobility scooter dunking an entire plate of chicken wings into the chocolate fountain. Never again.

like, one at a time, or the whole plate at once?

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

ladron posted:

like, one at a time, or the whole plate at once?

I imagine it included the plate itself

ladron
Sep 15, 2007

eso es lo que es

Iron Crowned posted:

I imagine it included the plate itself

same here, just like holding it under the chocolate cascade, getting their hand all drenched for later licking

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

Sears had a 27% revenue decline in Q3 apparently. I’m wondering if they will survive past next year. I feel like I keep saying this every year.

Bonzo
Mar 11, 2004

Just like Mama used to make it!
Chinese buffets are just as bad expect for AYCE sushi places.

In Ontario we have King's Buffet which is middle of the road Chinese food but depending on what city you are in, you will see a show. People will grab a plate and cover the entire surface with rice and then load up on egg rolls, crag rangoon, sweet and sour chicken/pork, etc. and then pour sweet and sour sauce all over it. I even saw one guy fishing wantons out of the soup container and adding them to his pile.

There was one buffet where I used to live that changed its name every 6-18 months because their Google/Yelp ratings were so bad. As soon as they'd change the name (but it was always the same owners) people would flock there again and acted all surprised that it was the same lovely food as before. One year they had a Christmas day all you can eat Lobster and people were lined up out the door. Lobster season ends in October in Canada so I'm sure most of those people were making GBS threads their pants later in the day.

Yawgmoth
Sep 10, 2003

This post is cursed!

MikeCrotch posted:

[Golden Corral]
This was an epic tale and I am better for having read it.

kumba
Nov 8, 2003

I posted my food for USPOL Thanksgiving!

enjoy the ride

Lipstick Apathy

Yawgmoth posted:

This was an epic tale and I am better for having read it.

:same:

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

Bonzo posted:

Chinese buffets are just as bad expect for AYCE sushi places.

In Ontario we have King's Buffet which is middle of the road Chinese food but depending on what city you are in, you will see a show. People will grab a plate and cover the entire surface with rice and then load up on egg rolls, crag rangoon, sweet and sour chicken/pork, etc. and then pour sweet and sour sauce all over it. I even saw one guy fishing wantons out of the soup container and adding them to his pile.

I will fight anyone over Chinese buffets, they're great for when you've been drinking since noon, or it's noon after you've been drinking all night.

Randaconda
Jul 3, 2014

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Iron Crowned posted:

I will fight anyone over Chinese buffets, they're great for when you've been drinking since noon, or it's noon after you've been drinking all night.

Back in my younger, dumber years, me and my friends would get stoned and go to the shadiest Chinese place you could imagine, owned/operated by a Chinese woman who would have been kicked out of the SS for being too mean.

Ralph Crammed In
May 11, 2007

Let's get clean and smart

We were pretty poor growing up and we'd go to the Old Country Buffet for Easter or special occasions like birthdays. Golden Corral was the fancy buffet place, and so we rarely went there. My parents were adamant that we didn't fill up on cheap stuff like fries and soda and instead had my sister and I eat ham and milk because it was a better value for the money.

Going to a buffet was such a special and fancy thing that even today when faced with a self-serve setup, while not poor anymore, I still get a bit overwhelmed and think it's fancy.

How Rude
Aug 13, 2012

FUCK THIS SHIT
Our local Chinese buffet is owned by the nicest family and they keep their restaurant clean and the food is usually kept fresh/hot. Some of their items are also handmade (I know for sure they make the wontons by hand because we have seen them wrapping wontons in the restaurant)

Place owns and is a real treat when friends/family are really jonesing for good Chinese

Bonzo
Mar 11, 2004

Just like Mama used to make it!
I went to a Mexican buffet once and my god, talk about a food coma

Randaconda
Jul 3, 2014

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Ralph Crammed In posted:

We were pretty poor growing up and we'd go to the Old Country Buffet for Easter or special occasions like birthdays. Golden Corral was the fancy buffet place, and so we rarely went there. My parents were adamant that we didn't fill up on cheap stuff like fries and soda and instead had my sister and I eat ham and milk because it was a better value for the money.

Going to a buffet was such a special and fancy thing that even today when faced with a self-serve setup, while not poor anymore, I still get a bit overwhelmed and think it's fancy.

Same :smith:

Krispy Wafer
Jul 26, 2002

Grimey Drawer
Red Lobster was the fancy place for us.

I remember telling my friend we had my high school graduation dinner there, but he has his there and he didn't see me.

We went straight home after my high school graduation.

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

Krispy Wafer posted:

Red Lobster was the fancy place for us.

I remember telling my friend we had my high school graduation dinner there, but he has his there and he didn't see me.

We went straight home after my high school graduation.

Yeah, the fanciest place we went to growing up was a local Mexican chain.

When I was 14 we got an Old Country Buffet, and went there about once a month. It was in the local mall so the walk inside was filled with dread for me that someone I knew would see me with my parents. It was especially worse since they almost always wanted to go to Target immediately after, prolonging my terror.

Cowslips Warren
Oct 29, 2005

What use had they for tricks and cunning, living in the enemy's warren and paying his price?

Grimey Drawer
gently caress, fancy for kids' parties was Peter Piper Pizza. gently caress that Chuck E Cheese place, I'd never eat pizza cooked by a rat!

I still don't get why McDonald's can't do all-day lunch too. I want loving fries at 8am!

Amazon. So a year or so back I applied and ended up on a list for a temp spot at Amazon warehouse, through a temp agency. They keep calling me now, and sending out mass emails trying to recruit people, so either they really need more help, or people aren't loving responding to crazy work for $12.25 an hour.

Sir Lemming
Jan 27, 2009

It's a piece of JUNK!

Yep :smith: :respek: :smith:

What was worse was going back as an adult and being like "wow this is kinda awful"

Ape Has Killed Ape
Sep 15, 2005

Cowslips Warren posted:

Amazon. So a year or so back I applied and ended up on a list for a temp spot at Amazon warehouse, through a temp agency. They keep calling me now, and sending out mass emails trying to recruit people, so either they really need more help, or people aren't loving responding to crazy work for $12.25 an hour.

Could you maybe think of a reason why an online retailer might need a lot of extra staff working in their warehouses this time of year?

AvesPKS
Sep 26, 2004

I don't dance unless I'm totally wasted.

Bonzo posted:

Arby's is buying Buffalo Wild Wings

https://www.usatoday.com/story/money/2017/11/28/arbys-buffalo-wild-wings/900520001/

I wonder if this would also harm other chains? I don't live in the US anymore but I visit family there and over the last 5-10 years I've noticed a not only a decline in food quality at restaurants but also the speed as which the food comes out so that tables can be turned quicker.

People don't want to admit to themselves how much prices have risen over that timeframe. Correspondingly, places compromise on quality instead of raising prices. At a place like 5 Guys, prices have risen drastically because quality has stayed the same. At a place like McDonald's, the Fish Filet has gotten ever so slightly smaller to accommodate the relative lack of price increase.

Haifisch
Nov 13, 2010

Objection! I object! That was... objectionable!

Taco Defender
I've gotten at least 5 pieces of junk mail trying to recruit people for the local amazon warehouse. They want every man, woman, and child available to handle holiday workloads. I'm not surprised they're being extra-persistent with someone who's actually shown interest in the job at one point.

e:

AvesPKS posted:

People don't want to admit to themselves how much prices have risen over that timeframe. Correspondingly, places compromise on quality instead of raising prices. At a place like 5 Guys, prices have risen drastically because quality has stayed the same. At a place like McDonald's, the Fish Filet has gotten ever so slightly smaller to accommodate the relative lack of price increase.
This is also behind the grocery shrink ray(:rip: Consumerist). As long as people are paying roughly the same price for a thing, most don't seem to notice or care if the quanitity of the thing has gone down.

AvesPKS
Sep 26, 2004

I don't dance unless I'm totally wasted.

Haifisch posted:

I've gotten at least 5 pieces of junk mail trying to recruit people for the local amazon warehouse. They want every man, woman, and child available to handle holiday workloads. I'm not surprised they're being extra-persistent with someone who's actually shown interest in the job at one point.

e:

This is also behind the grocery shrink ray(:rip: Consumerist). As long as people are paying roughly the same price for a thing, most don't seem to notice or care if the quanitity of the thing has gone down.

Oh yeah, like the little indentation on the bottom of containers getting larger, or deodorant sticks containing less.

Or quality. I know people who stick to the same price point from 15 years ago regardless of what that actually buys them now.

AvesPKS has a new favorite as of 04:46 on Dec 1, 2017

Grumbletron 4000
Nov 30, 2002

Where you want it, bitch.
College Slice

Randaconda posted:

Back in my younger, dumber years, me and my friends would get stoned and go to the shadiest Chinese place you could imagine, owned/operated by a Chinese woman who would have been kicked out of the SS for being too mean.

I may have mentioned it in this thread before but I'm pretty sure those shady Chinese places are money laundering fronts. There was a buffet near where I work that never had anyone eating in the dining room. I only ever saw one extremely young Asian girl working the counter no matter what time I went in. They had two of those long steam buffet things but only one was ever had food in it and it was only 10 different dishes, tops. I only went there for lunch cause the teriyaki chicken sticks and general tsos was top notch. Take out was by the pound so it was cheap as hell too.

That place was open for years and I think I may have been the only customer. I only stopped eating there when I started finding nasty meat in my food. Stuff with veins or weird glands. They eventually closed and there's a Fuddruckers in that spot now.

Haifisch
Nov 13, 2010

Objection! I object! That was... objectionable!

Taco Defender

AvesPKS posted:

Or quality. I know people who stick to the same price point from 15 years ago regardless of what that actually buys them now.
Or you can be my mom and complain that the quality level you want is too expensive but also complain that the price point you want is full of poorly-made garbage, and never quite put two and two together(or refuse to admit you can't have both when your idea of a "reasonable" price is anchored to something from 10+ years ago).

"Shoes these days don't last, we used to wear them long enough that the shoelaces would wear out", coupled with balking at the idea of paying $50+ for a pair of halfway decent shoes. Wanting a real leather belt but not wanting to pay more than $15-20 for it. That sort of thing.

ladron
Sep 15, 2007

eso es lo que es

Grumbletron 4000 posted:

Stuff with veins or weird glands.

Chicken Doodle
May 16, 2007

Cowslips Warren posted:

A friend of mine got hired, was told "Oh by the way we hired you for City A but you actually are working in City B (harder and longer to get to) and we'll call you when you have a shift" which turned out to be never.

Why bother lying about where you're going to send someone? They applied for the other place most likely because they can GET to the other place.

SpannerX
Apr 26, 2010

Fun Shoe

Bonzo posted:

One year they had a Christmas day all you can eat Lobster and people were lined up out the door. Lobster season ends in October in Canada so I'm sure most of those people were making GBS threads their pants later in the day.

Wrong, South shore Nova Scotia had it's first day of the lobster season yesterday. It's a mad house out there, check marinetrafic.

walrusman
Aug 4, 2006

Yeah, crabs on the west coast are much better in the winter, so I imagine it's the same for lobsters. Regardless, lovely buffet places aren't getting fresh coldwater lobster, they're getting frozen C-grade mutated crawfish scraped out of the South China Sea at bayonet-point by North Korean political prisoners.

Source: been two two lobster buffets in my life, waited in line for hours both times, left disappointed both times.

Randaconda
Jul 3, 2014

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Sir Lemming posted:

Yep :smith: :respek: :smith:

What was worse was going back as an adult and being like "wow this is kinda awful"

:smith:

BIG FLUFFY DOG
Feb 16, 2011

On the internet, nobody knows you're a dog.

Chicken Doodle posted:

A friend of mine got hired, was told "Oh by the way we hired you for City A but you actually are working in City B (harder and longer to get to) and we'll call you when you have a shift" which turned out to be never.

Why bother lying about where you're going to send someone? They applied for the other place most likely because they can GET to the other place.

In Louisville, Amazon uses an incredibly small temp agency that really only has Amazon as a client. They also placed their fulfillment center across the river in Indiana in a clever attempt to dodge Louisville's taxes. This fulfillment center is probably their busiest and only pays 12 an hour. It costs $4 in tolls to commute there from Kentucky where most of the population lives. They are losing their damned minds.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Krispy Wafer
Jul 26, 2002

Grimey Drawer

Haifisch posted:

Duke's mayonnaise proudly tells you it's still 32 ounces.

Mayo's nice and all and I do buy Duke's, but I'm trying to not imagine the person for whom a few ounces of oil and eggs is a deal killer.

Too late:

Although she's a Hellmann's girl so hypothesis is wrong.