Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Magnusth
Sep 25, 2014

Hello, Creature! Do You Despise Goat Hating Fascists? So Do We! Join Us at Paradise Lost!

Now that the election is over, i would like to officially join the SLRF

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AFancyQuestionMark
Feb 19, 2017

Long time no see.
Before I forget, registration of parties for the next election, whenever it takes place, is now open. Existing party leaders may change their list, but any such changes will not affect their current Members of Parliament (i.e. any new additions will remain outside Parliament, and current MPs can't be removed). Registration for the next round of citizen seats (selected two years from now in game) is also open.

Shogeton posted:

A question for the moderator, because the subject came up. It is mentioned there were terror attacks on government targets during the civil war. How... bloody should we see that, in terms of collateral civilians dead?

Over the course of the two years of their insurgency, the CLF has conducted dozens of terror attacks on government targets, ranging from police stations and SDF checkpoints to government offices and warehouses. Overall, at least 500 civilians have lost their lives in these attacks, mostly among the civil service and contracted workers.

unwantedplatypus
Sep 6, 2012
Humble beginnings for The Community, we thank everyone who helped us get into parliament. We will work to serve you, and to serve Sirta.

It seems the SRLF has a plurality or seats. Who will they decide to convene with I wonder?

And what shall we make of these guardian council appointments?

Only time will tell

CourValant
Feb 25, 2016

Do You Remember Love?

AFancyQuestionMark posted:

That’s in narrative. In reality, it will convene in about 3-4 hours, once I finish writing the relevant posts. In the meantime, feel free to discuss the result.

Eli took a large sip from the glass of whiskey in his hand. Japanese leanings or not, there was simply no substitute for a good, strong whiskey after a hard day.

And this day had been . . . difficult.

He never expected the KNK to win a large portion of the vote; the did expect his Party to win 'some' votes.

The election results were, disappointing. Even more so was the lack of response from those Bureaucrats. It was as if the world suddenly stopped making sense.

Future expectations will have to be managed better; the other Families would feed on any perceived weakness.

Another sip. He would allow himself this one indulgence tonight. Just this one. Parliament would convene soon, and Masamune had much work to do.

His survival depended on it.

AFancyQuestionMark
Feb 19, 2017

Long time no see.
The date is the 1st of January 3062, and all of Sirta’s attention is focused on one event – the opening of the first session of Parliament. The SCN is registering an almost unprecedented number of devices tuned in to a single channel – a video feed from inside what was once the Albert Worrel Convention Hall in downtown Sard, and is now the seat of Sirta’s Parliament, in place of the old congress building in the government district which was turned into a museum of the regime’s corruption and the revolution. According to the Guardian Council, the new location was chosen due to its’ “greater proximity to the people”.

All of the MPs have already arrived, and a mixture of emotions can be seen on the faces of these people, which all of Sirta entrusted with their future. For many of them, this is the first face-to-face meeting with their colleagues, whom they have only ever witnessed through the SCN. Several conversations are taking place at the same time, some are merely polite greetings and strings of inane chatter, but others are the beginnings of constructive discussions about their first goal – the formation of a government. Given the lack of historical precedent, the inexperience of all involved and the sheer number of different parties present, this is not likely to be a simple feat.

The ornate digital clock embedded in the wall shows 9:00 and the invisible speakers fill the hall with the overpowering sounds of a familiar melody – an instrumental rendition of Today, We Sing of Freedom, the unofficial anthem of the revolution (in the absence of any other reasonable alternatives). All of those present quiet down and find their seats, directing their attention to the stage at the center of the hall, where a small podium has been placed. The lights dim.

A moment later, a lifelike hologram appears behind the podium. It depicts Lenore Hughes, a prominent leader of…no, on second thought, it depicts Councilor Aurora, the member of the Guardian Council most familiar to the public.

“I don’t have the words to properly describe what I feel at this moment, standing here in front of you on this momentous occasion. I must admit, that despite my confident words over the last three years, there has been a small part in the back of my head whispering “What you want is impossible. The future you yearn for is outside of your grasp. All of this pain and struggle and hope is for nothing.” I truly can’t convey the full extent of my happiness, my relief to be standing in this place, giving this speech for this purpose.

So, instead of trying to do that, I want to congratulate all of you, the Members of this Parliament, for being here with me today. All of our past struggles mean nothing if we can’t build on their outcome to reach for our true goal - building a better future for all citizens. You are the ones I, and the rest of Sirta, is relying on to make that goal a reality.

After considering the outcome of the election, the Guardian Council has decided to bestow the hefty task of government formation on the leader of the SRLF, known as Luxembourg. Their task will not be easy, nor should it be easy, considering what is at stake.

Without further ado, on behalf of the Guardian Council, I hereby open this first session of the first Parliament!”

The lights return to their usual brightness and the hologram disappears, leaving only the MPs in the hall. Left alone with each other and the great responsibilities they have taken upon themselves…

Welcome to Parliament! For ease of reference, I have split the mechanics explanation into two posts: this post will go over what you need to do in the near future, while the next post covers the general mechanics of legislating.

First of all, you need to choose a speaker by this time tomorrow. The speaker can be either a player or an NPC and needs to be confirmed by a simple majority of the votes in Parliament. Mechanically speaking, it’s a purely ceremonial role, which consists of overseeing procedural matters, such as collecting the proposed bills and motions in one place, pointing out contradictions with previous laws, reminding MPs of the rules and other such things. If you choose an NPC from outside a player-led party, I will gladly take this role upon myself, but do you truly want to miss out on an opportunity to be able to legitimately berate other players?

Next, Crazycryodude must present a government within the next two in-game months, and that government must gain the confidence of Parliament (see next post for details). Otherwise, we will have to hold another election. When I say present a government, I mean tell me (and Parliament) who will gain each Ministerial portfolio and who will be appointed as the Attorney General. Only MPs can be Ministers, but anyone can be the Attorney General, who is mainly in charge of representing the government in court. You can find a full list of Ministries in the second post - the Infrastructure Ministry also includes control over the SCN, the Interior Ministry is all about citizen records, statistics, and any social programs not covered by the other Ministries, and the other Ministries are about what you would expect. Be aware that being a Minister will require you to be constantly available, in case there is a crisis or other urgent event you need to respond to.

Aside from all that, you can begin legislating to your heart’s content this month (see next post for details) but I would recommend not making any proposals that require extra funds or deal with taxation quite yet, since I will write a detailed post on that aspect of the game sometime tomorrow.

The drafting phase for January 3062 begins now, and will end on Tuesday – the 5th of December 2017 – at 12:30 UTC.

AFancyQuestionMark
Feb 19, 2017

Long time no see.
This post goes over the game mechanics of legislating in Parliament. First, you need to know that, in ordinary circumstances, the game is divided into months. For each month, time is abstracted away and all decisions happen simultaneously, from a game mechanics perspective. If necessary, the timeline of the corresponding events in the narrative in that month can be established after the fact.

Like other legislatures, Sirta’s Parliament has a variety of processes for drafting, amending and voting on legislation of all kinds, usually involving readings, debates, review by the relevant committee and so on. In terms of game mechanics, all of this is also abstracted away, but you should be aware that it is happening in the narrative.

The mechanics of legislating are as follows: each month is divided into two phases – the drafting phase and the voting phase. In the drafting phase, any Member of Parliament can submit bills and motions to be voted on by the entire Parliament in the voting phase. Parliament is sovereign, so it can legislate on any topic, except when prohibited by the constitution.

In addition to regular legislation, which requires a simple majority of votes to pass, there are several types of motions and special bills:

* Motion of Confidence – Relevant during government formation, this is the means by which Parliament approves a proposed composition of government. Confidence can only be granted to a government presented by an MP selected by the Guardian Council for this purpose. Needs a simple majority of votes to pass.

* Motion of No Confidence – Can be submitted by any MP at any time, provided the government holds Parliament’s confidence. Approval of this motion means the withdrawal of that confidence, and requires the Guardian Council to select a new MP to try and form another government, and if the attempt fails, Parliament is dissolved and a new election is held. Requires an absolute majority of votes (at least 41) to pass.

* Motion of Dissolution - Can be submitted by any MP at any time, this results in the dissolution of Parliament, leading to a new election. Requires an absolute majority of votes (at least 41) to pass.

* Budget Bill – The allocation of the government’s funds among the various Ministries, agencies and initiatives for a period of time ranging up to a year. Can be proposed only by the government, if it holds Parliament’s confidence. If approved, it goes into effect immediately, replacing the previous budget, if it exists. A government acting without an approved budget for long enough (40 days) automatically loses Parliament’s confidence. Requires a simple majority of votes to pass.

* Constitutional Amendment – Any change to the constitution requires a special majority of votes (at least 61) to pass.

* Member Suspension – Removes an MP from their position. If passed, the MP will be replaced by the next person on the electoral list of their party. Requires a special majority of votes (at least 61) to pass.

These are the most important details. If anything is unclear, or if you want to know whether a bill is constitutional, don’t hesitate to ask.

AFancyQuestionMark fucked around with this message at 19:50 on Dec 1, 2017

Crazycryodude
Aug 15, 2015

Lets get our X tons of Duranium back!

....Is that still a valid thing to jingoistically blow out of proportion?

Magnusth posted:

Now that the election is over, i would like to officially join the SLRF

Added to the list, welcome aboard

sniper4625
Sep 26, 2009

Loyal to the hEnd

Comrade Radek

First - to any wanting to contribute to a Government focused on jobs, security, and sustenance for the People, please get in touch. Comrade Luxembourg will likely be issuing a general statement on our goals soon, but best to get the ball rolling.

While I of course stand ready to serve in Government as desired, should our current negotiations bear fruit, I also offer my services as Speaker - family history tells of a great ancestor who once served a similar position for the rowdy senators of Crete, and I'd be proud to carry on the tradition.

In an unofficial capacity:

Parliament of Sirta - First Session

Motions on the Floor
None, currently

sniper4625 fucked around with this message at 20:27 on Dec 1, 2017

CourValant
Feb 25, 2016

Do You Remember Love?

"My Fellow Members of Parliament, may I be among the first of many to echo Councilor Aurora's well wishes and hope for the future of Sirta.

I too never thought I'd see this day, and yet, here we are. Ready to make decisions that will affect all of us, friends, foes, and family alike.

May we all remember why we're here, what we're doing this for, and that at the end of the day, we all have to live with each other, even if it kills us.

Without further ado, let us begin the business of governance.

The Kikuzakura no Kai nominates ReSeAu Gen of the The Union of Civil Services as Speaker; while it is no secret that many in this chamber disagrees with each other on the best path forward for Sirta, I personally believe that ReSeAu Gen has both the temperament and acumen to take responsibility for this position.

Let us begin with this simple act of compromise, rather than the politics of old.”

-Eli Masamune
Kikuzakura no Kai

Shogeton
Apr 26, 2007

"Little by little the old world crumbled, and not once did the king imagine that some of the pieces might fall on him"

Dr Xavier Dubois - Dawn

This is a victory for all of us, even those who might have wished to see a little more seats on their name. The fact that the people of Sirta now rule themselves.

I would like to offer myself for consideration as minister of Health I believe I have both the background and the motivation to see to see to it that every Sirtan has full access to medical services.

Shogeton fucked around with this message at 22:52 on Dec 1, 2017

AJ_Impy
Jun 17, 2007

SWORD OF SMATTAS. CAN YOU NOT HEAR A WORLD CRY OUT FOR JUSTICE? WHEN WILL YOU DELIVER IT?
Yam Slacker
Arthur Subtallier - Unity Coalition

"The voice of the people has been heard, and will continue to be heard! I acknowledge the call for unity from Comrade Radek, and answer thusly. So long as the People's Coalition remains entirely true to those stated aims, the Unity Coalition is willing to caucus with it for the time being. Actions will be the determinant to see if that will continue to be the case. I am willing to serve as needed, and consider myself a potential good fit for the Communication and Infrastructure portfolios."

Pakled
Aug 6, 2011

WE ARE SMART
OOC: Since we'll need to pass a budget fairly soon, could we get a report on Sirta's finances? I figure the official budget the last years of the old regime should be taken with a grain of salt, but current tax policy and expected tax revenue, along with current debt would be useful to know.

sniper4625
Sep 26, 2009

Loyal to the hEnd
I assumed that was coming tomorrow, were also holding off on a number of proposals pending it.

AFancyQuestionMark
Feb 19, 2017

Long time no see.
Expected Government Income and Expenses for January 3062:

All amounts listed are in millions of New Sirtan Credits.

Income Breakdown: Entries are listed in the “income source – income amount – algorithmically estimated loss from tax evasion and other relevant forms of crime” format.

Meaning that, in a crime free world, you would have both of them combined.

Sources that are one-time only (aren’t replenished on a monthly basis) are marked with square brackets.

* Income tax, bottom bracket – 75 – 15

* Income tax, lower middle bracket – 78 – 21

* Income tax, upper middle bracket – 70 – 20

* Income tax, top bracket – 80 – at least 140

* Sales tax – 56 – 30

* Personal Vehicle Tax – 12 – 15

* Legal Addictive Substances Tax – 0.4 – 3.1

* Corporate Tax – 65 – too many factors for remotely accurate estimation, but at least 50

* Foreign Aid – 8.5 – 0.2

* Trade Tariffs – 10 – 8

* [Industrial Council for Frontier Development Donation – 5 – 0.03]

* [Seized Assets From Former High-Ranking Regime Officials – 83 – 0]

* Other Sources – 1.3 – 0.6

Overall Income: 544.2

Expenses: The transitional government doesn’t actively undertake any new initiatives, policies or programs that require funds. It doesn’t have a formal budget. The vast majority of expenses are salaries for public employees and scheduled payments to government contractors. Any proper government will see a dramatic increase in expenses, even without any new projects, welfare programs and initiatives.

Overall Expenses: 473.7

Remaining: 70.5

Magnusth
Sep 25, 2014

Hello, Creature! Do You Despise Goat Hating Fascists? So Do We! Join Us at Paradise Lost!

What are the current tax rates for income and corporate taxes?

sniper4625
Sep 26, 2009

Loyal to the hEnd

Comrade Radek

I may as well get things started on the Infrastructure front.

SIRTRAK Act posted:

• All rail transport is hereby nationalized for the good of all Sirtans, amalgated as SIRTRAK under the auspices of the Ministry of Infrastructure
  • SIRTRAK shall be directed by a Commission consisting of representatives from Engineers, Conductors, Trackworkers, and representatives of the MOI, with terms TBD
  • Current owners, as deemed appropriate by the MOI, will be compensated for their rolling stock and facilities.
  • Whatever funding is necessary to repair the tracks to full capacity will be allocated
  • Labor will consist of existing track workers, augmented with new hires and penal labor as necessary.
  • Passenger fares will be set by the Commission. Freight fares to be set through negotiation between the relevant Industry and the Commission
  • All non-management employees are to be encouraged to hold union elections upon formation of SIRTAK

Centralizing management of the trains ensures efficiency, accountability, and the ability to expand and repair where needed. Restore the transportation links to our far flung towns and hamlets and the polieconomical ones will follow.

sniper4625 fucked around with this message at 06:13 on Dec 2, 2017

AFancyQuestionMark
Feb 19, 2017

Long time no see.

Magnusth posted:

What are the current tax rates for income and corporate taxes?

Income tax, bottom bracket - 15%

Income tax, lower middle bracket - 30%

Income tax, upper middle bracket - 50%

Income tax, top bracket - 75%

Corporate Tax - 20%

sniper4625 posted:

Comrade Radek
With terms TBD

Determined how? In this act, by the end of the drafting phase? By the Infrastructure Ministry after the act is adopted? In some other way?

sniper4625
Sep 26, 2009

Loyal to the hEnd

Income tax, bottom bracket - 15%

Income tax, lower middle bracket - 30%

Income tax, upper middle bracket - 50%

Income tax, top bracket - 75%

Corporate Tax - 20%

Determined how? In this act, by the end of the drafting phase? By the Infrastructure Ministry after the act is adopted? In some other way?

Comrade Radek

In this act, by the end of the drafting phase.

sniper4625 fucked around with this message at 06:12 on Dec 2, 2017

The Lord of Hats
Aug 22, 2010

Hello, yes! Is being very good day for posting, no?
I agree with the thrust of your proposal, Radek, but I think you gloss over the actual process of getting there. Right now, the railways are in a frankly untenable state--we aren't in a position where we can wait to build the capacity for this project before starting it, and I think it's plain by the current state of affairs that the old management allowed that capacity to decay to the point we would essentially be starting from scratch. To that end, I propose that we begin the bidding process for the revitalization project--either as a whole or in parts--as soon as possible.

In the interest of full disclosure, were such a process to begin, Apex Industries would be submitting a bid, and as such I would like to preemptively recuse myself from any involvement in the government's side of the process.

sniper4625
Sep 26, 2009

Loyal to the hEnd

The Lord of Hats posted:

I agree with the thrust of your proposal, Radek, but I think you gloss over the actual process of getting there. Right now, the railways are in a frankly untenable state--we aren't in a position where we can wait to build the capacity for this project before starting it, and I think it's plain by the current state of affairs that the old management allowed that capacity to decay to the point we would essentially be starting from scratch. To that end, I propose that we begin the bidding process for the revitalization project--either as a whole or in parts--as soon as possible.

In the interest of full disclosure, were such a process to begin, Apex Industries would be submitting a bid, and as such I would like to preemptively recuse myself from any involvement in the government's side of the process.

Comrade Radek

I'm not sure to what you refer - the capability is there: whatever workforce remains to the soon-to-be bought out private companies, combined with whatever more need to be hired by the state. The idea is to approach the task with the unified will and resources of the nation, not turf the problem back out to the private companies that allowed the system to decay to where it is today.

I appreciate you publicly acknowledging your own biases in the matter.

The Lord of Hats
Aug 22, 2010

Hello, yes! Is being very good day for posting, no?
Forgive me if I come across harshly, but do you really think that an owner who has allowed the rails to decay to this state has been paying for a well-trained workforce of the size needed to undertake this project? They clearly haven't been performing proper maintenance in years. They won't have kept adequate headcount around idle simply because it would be convenient for a future revolutionary government. That's a workforce that's been slashed to the bone! You're not going to build a railway with a skeleton crew, and that's not far off from what's needed. Unless you start press-ganging workers from unrelated private industry, you're going to need to contract this out.

When the system is repaired, I fully agree that SIRTAK will be in a position to maintain it. But it's unfeasible to hand them the initial restoration with the base they'd be starting from.

AFancyQuestionMark
Feb 19, 2017

Long time no see.
A public letter addressed to the SRLF from Stefan Borisov, leader of the FDG is posted on the relevant channels of the SCN:

“To the leadership of the Sirtan Revolutionary Liberation Front,

Congratulation on your impressive election result! Such an outcome shows that your program and ideals have found purchase in the minds of many citizens. From my meager understanding, your program doesn’t conflict with ours, more than that, they are complementary. We have prepared a program focused on long-term prosperity via raising a new generation of skilled workers and the return of foreign investment, while your program promises swift reforms in the short-term, in both infrastructure and policing, which would also benefit our development program.

Therefore, I see no reason why we wouldn’t be able to join together in coalition. Naturally, we have several conditions for our participation in your endeavors, to ensure that our joint government carries out its’ program in accordance with our vision:

1. That the government commit to radical improvements on all levels of the present education system.

2. That the government open free specialized schools, available to all citizens, by the end of this year.

3. That the government offer incentives to foreign companies and organizations to invest or work in our country. These incentives shouldn’t come at the expense of ordinary citizens.

4. That the government give significant attention to investigating the feasibility and benefits of applying for membership in the Outer Alliance.

We want a public document affirming the future government’s acceptance of these conditions as part of any coalition agreement.

Additionally, we request the portfolios of Education, Finance and Foreign Affairs for members of our party, so that we may hold responsibility for all aspects relevant to our program.

Hoping for fruitful cooperation between our parties,
Stefan Borisov,
Chairman of the Forward Development Group”

AFancyQuestionMark fucked around with this message at 07:12 on Dec 2, 2017

mcclay
Jul 8, 2013

Oh dear oh gosh oh darn
Soiled Meat

Somewhat latter that day Comrade Hill responds to Stefan Borisov

"To Chairman Borisov,

The SLRF thanks you for your kind words in regards to our victory in Parliament. We would also like to thank all the proud citizens of Sitra who put their trust in us. We will bring about a change for the better in their lives. We could not have gotten so far were it not for both former militia members, dissidents of the Popular Resistance and the average Sitran citizen who went to the polls.

In response to your statement the SLRF would like to speak on each of your points before addressing the cabinet positions.

1. The SLRF has no problem with radical education improvement and reform. Internal talks within the party have mentioned this and it is on our agenda.

2. The SLRF would be glad to work with the FDG on this goal. We strongly support both free education and letting the Sitran student specialize towards their strengths.

3. The SLRF finds this agreeable with a cavet. We want to work with forgein worker collectives. Worker solidarity is important to us and we wish to help our brothers and sisters in labor whether they be here on Sitra or other planets.

4. The SLRF do not oppose a study on joining the OPA and would gladly join if said study was favorable.

In regards to minister positions. This People Coalition we are building is large and inclusive of many parties. We cannot afford to hand out 3 minister spots to just one other, smaller, party. Internal discussion has pointed towards giving the FDG control of the Ministry of the Interior. We trust that, able to put its full effort towards one task, the FDG will be good safe-keepers of the Sitran people and well prepared to help alleviate the massive stress put on the populace by years of civil war.

Thank you,
Comrade Hill
SLRF

mcclay fucked around with this message at 07:49 on Dec 2, 2017

Pakled
Aug 6, 2011

WE ARE SMART
Private message, dated 01:47 03 January, 3062.

To: FDG Central Committee
Subject: SRLF Coalition Negotiations
Message: It has become necessary for us to enter into more formal talks with SRLF with regards to our potential coalition. Privately, based on my conversations with SRLF MPs, I believe their leadership is quite amenable to a coalition, though perhaps not as willing to concede as much in certain realms of policy. As the most outspoken and one of the more connected MPs of our party, I ask you to appoint me official representative of the FDG for these coalition talks. As such, I will focus on maximizing our representation in the cabinet, where I believe we can do more to pursue our agenda than we can with general legislative promises given at the beginning of the term.

AFancyQuestionMark
Feb 19, 2017

Long time no see.

Pakled posted:

Private message, dated 01:47 03 January, 3062.

To: FDG Central Committee
Subject: SRLF Coalition Negotiations
Message: It has become necessary for us to enter into more formal talks with SRLF with regards to our potential coalition. Privately, based on my conversations with SRLF MPs, I believe their leadership is quite amenable to a coalition, though perhaps not as willing to concede as much in certain realms of policy. As the most outspoken and one of the more connected MPs of our party, I ask you to appoint me official representative of the FDG for these coalition talks. As such, I will focus on maximizing our representation in the cabinet, where I believe we can do more to pursue our agenda than we can with general legislative promises given at the beginning of the term.

Response from Central Committee Chairman Borisov: The Forward Development Group contains many individuals from a variety of backgrounds, united by the common goal of creating and implementing a long-term program of prosperity for our country. We appreciate your efforts as the most outspoken and well-connected member of our party, and you are quite welcome to conduct your own discussions, both within and without the party. Yet, I can't imagine any reason why something as significant and potentially sensitive as coalition negotiations should be left solely to your discretion. Ultimately, it is the Central Committee that will approve or reject any finalized agreement with other parties, and while many members of the Committee are satisfied with your performance, there are many others with their own strong opinions on how any negotiations should be conducted. I would advise you to refrain from making any firm commitments on behalf of our group, without first ensuring that all of us agree to them.

Remember that the FDG is a Consensus type party, with all that entails, and the NPC leader is very much a "player" in this sense.

AFancyQuestionMark
Feb 19, 2017

Long time no see.
Without any prior notice, Victor Knapfstein, leader of DAL, walks on stage and begins speaking in front of Parliament, his words relayed to the entirety of Sirta via the constantly active SCN channel displaying a live video feed of the hall.

“I have several important things to say. To start with, I want to congratulate our former comrades-in-arms at the SRLF for their success in the election. I am glad to see that there is a significant appetite among the citizens to continue our struggle and bring all of the regime’s criminals to account! It is obvious that our parties should join together, alongside any others that aren’t afraid of the people’s justice!

Now, there are two promises that any of our partners MUST give unconditionally.

First, they MUST guarantee that ALL of the bootlickers, hired murderers and uniformed bandits aiding and abetting the regime’s crimes against the people will receive their deserved punishment.

Second, they MUST formally recognize, through legislation if necessary, the authority of our valiant brothers and sisters in the CLF to police the areas they are already policing without formal recognition. Whether that is as a part of the “militia union” proposed earlier or another means, all is welcome, so long as the CLF’s autonomy isn’t violated.

In order to ensure that these promises are carried out properly, we, the staunchest allies of the CLF should hold the portfolios of Justice and Internal Security, which are the government positions most relevant to the matter.

I am certain, that our former comrades-in-arms in the SRLF, dedicated as they are to our struggle, will be quick to give these promises and expedite our course towards true justice!”

AFancyQuestionMark fucked around with this message at 15:17 on Dec 2, 2017

sniper4625
Sep 26, 2009

Loyal to the hEnd

Comrade Radek

For the record, I believe the SRLF has no objections to Reseau Gen taking the Speakership.

unwantedplatypus
Sep 6, 2012

Without any prior notice, Victor Knapfstein, leader of DAL, walks on stage and begins speaking in front of Parliament, his words relayed to the entirety of Sirta via the constantly active SCN channel displaying a live video feed of the hall.

“I have several important things to say. To start with, I want to congratulate our former comrades-in-arms at the SRLF for their success in the election. I am glad to see that there is a significant appetite among the citizens to continue our struggle and bring all of the regime’s criminals to account! It is obvious that our parties should join together, alongside any others that aren’t afraid of the people’s justice!

Now, there are two promises that any of our partners MUST give unconditionally.

First, they MUST guarantee that ALL of the bootlickers, hired murderers and uniformed bandits aiding and abetting the regime’s crimes against the people will receive their deserved punishment.

Second, they MUST formally recognize, through legislation if necessary, the authority of our valiant brothers and sisters in the CLF to police the areas they are already policing without formal recognition. Whether that is as a part of the “militia union” proposed earlier or another means, all is welcome, so long as the CLF’s autonomy isn’t violated.

In order to ensure that these promises are carried out properly, we, the staunchest allies of the CLF should hold the portfolios of Justice and Internal Security, which are the government positions most relevant to the matter.

I am certain, that our former comrades-in-arms in the SRLF, dedicated as they are to our struggle, will be quick to give these promises and expedite our course towards true justice!”

The Community believes that the CLF is an institution with much promise, and we would like to see this decentralized, locally organized structure be taken elsewhere and applied to different aspects of our nation. Would the DAL support this goal, which we consider quite noble?

AFancyQuestionMark
Feb 19, 2017

Long time no see.

unwantedplatypus posted:

The Community believes that the CLF is an institution with much promise, and we would like to see this decentralized, locally organized structure be taken elsewhere and applied to different aspects of our nation. Would the DAL support this goal, which we consider quite noble?

"We are open to cooperating with your party towards any projects of this type. We believe that there are plenty of organizations in Sirta that could learn a lot from the CLF - the municipal police forces and the SDF being chief among them."

Crazycryodude
Aug 15, 2015

Comrade Luxemburg

Comrades,

The SRLF are honored to have been charged by the Guardian Council with forming our very first government, and accepts this responsibility with the utmost solemnity. It is heartwarming to see so many fellow MP's are committed to the future of Sirta, to all Sirtans, not just their own pockets. The masses are the decisive element, they are the rock on which the final victory of the revolution will be built. And it is our duty to serve them as best we may. To accomplish this, the SRLF is proud to announce the People's Coalition. Dedicated to immediately improving the lives of all Sirtans, particularly those most disadvantaged by the previous regime, the People's Coalition will build a broad base of support across party lines, to institute four key policies.

1. A massive crackdown on corruption and inefficiency in government. The criminal neglect and waste of the current system allows hundreds of millions of credits to be lost, hundreds of millions of credits that should be bringing peace, justice, and bread to all Sirtans, not lining the pockets of corrupt officials, corporate moguls, and crime syndicates. Stamping out corruption and improving revenues will be critical going forwards, both to ensure a government that works truly for the people and to fund critical initiatives.

2. The SIRTRAK program. Our rail network is in critical disarray, and restoring it to peak condition will be vital to the future of Sirta.

3. The formation of the Militia Union. Casting off the shackles of the previous regime and allowing the people to defend themselves is absolutely required to preserve the success of the Revolution and prevent any possibility of a return to tyranny. And while professional law enforcement is a simple necessity of modern society, a large centralized tool of oppression cannot stand.

4. Education initiatives. The Coalition understands education to be absolutely critical moving forwards, and will invest heavily in ensuring that all Sirtans are prepared to survive and thrive both at home and abroad.

To accomplish these, we would like to invite all those who truly care about the Sirtan people to join the coalition, but in particular we'd like to address some concerns of the major parties.

- To Dr. Xavier Dubois and Dawn, the Coalition would like to entrust the Ministry of Health. Dr. Dubois is a highly qualified and respected medical professional, and we are sure he and Dawn will do right by the people of Sirta.

- To the Union of Civil Services, the Coalition would like to entrust the Ministry of Finance. This critical position will lead the fight against corruption and waste, and we believe noone is more suited than the UCS. There's nothing criminals fear more than a bureaucrat scorned, after all.

- To the FDG, the Coalition would like to entrust the Ministry of the Interior, as stated by Comrade Hill.

- To the DAL, the Coalition would like to entrust the Ministry of Defense, as well as a Special Prosecutor within the Ministry of Justice. We believe it would be more effective if the DAL were able to focus their efforts exclusively on bringing to justice the criminals of the past regime, rather than spending effort on running the day to day operations of the Ministry of Justice and handing out speeding tickets. Rest assured that the Ministry of Justice will provide whatever resources and assistance they can to the Special Prosecutor, the Coalition takes justice for the previous regime incredibly seriously.

- To the people of Sirta, the Coalition would like to entrust the Ministry of Foreign Affairs and the position of Attorney General. These two positions are currently slated to be filled by members of the appointed and citizen seats in Parliament, pending interviews with specific candidates. The Coalition believes that maintaining a cabinet presence from these seats is critical to ensuring that the government serves the people as closely as possible instead of coming to be dominated by a political class.

People of Sirta, this is your government. The SRLF and the Coalition will never forget that, and we implore all other members of Parliament who agree to join us in forming the People's Coalition.

sniper4625
Sep 26, 2009

Loyal to the hEnd

Comrade Radek

I heartily applaud the words of Comrade Luxemberg, and hope for speedy acclamation of their new government. While we may all not get everything we want, I believe it is a rational compromise that will provide a strong and stable foundation to build further upon.

A point not mentioned in their speech that we also hope to address: that of immediate humanitarian assistance.

While some portions of our economy may be on the rebound, many are still in a precarious state. The government must step in to protect the vulnerable, by providing food and shelter to those in need. These programs will be paid for by levies on those who profited during the Dictator’s reign - for their cowardice and complicity let them now make tangible contributions to the future of Sirta.

AFancyQuestionMark
Feb 19, 2017

Long time no see.
On hearing Luxembourg's speech, several MPs raise their hands, requesting their right to respond. The acting speaker picks Silvia Collins, a Guardian Council appointee. She immediately fires off her question:

"I am not sure I understand. You announce these policies as part of a coalition, and promise Ministerial portfolios to a variety of parties, but, at least when it comes to legislatures in other countries, coalitions are a result of an agreement between several parties. It isn't very clear to me, from your speech, whether the parties you've named have actually agreed to participate on these terms. On the contrary, some of them have even named conditions that contradict your commitments in this speech. Can you please explain? I am mildly confused at the moment."

Unrelated to this, it seems that despite the nomination of two players, there's been no progress towards the choice of a permanent speaker. As such, you have until Sunday - the 3rd of December - at 6:00 UTC to vote for a speaker. Obviously, the vote is restricted to player MPs. As with any other Parliament vote going forward, I will decide the NPCs' votes according to party affiliation and party type, or their personal motivations if they are major NPCs or not part of any party.

sniper4625
Sep 26, 2009

Loyal to the hEnd

On hearing Luxembourg's speech, several MPs raise their hands, requesting their right to respond. The acting speaker picks Silvia Collins, a Guardian Council appointee. She immediately fires off her question:

"I am not sure I understand. You announce these policies as part of a coalition, and promise Ministerial portfolios to a variety of parties, but, at least when it comes to legislatures in other countries, coalitions are a result of an agreement between several parties. It isn't very clear to me, from your speech, whether the parties you've named have actually agreed to participate on these terms. On the contrary, some of them have even named conditions that contradict your commitments in this speech. Can you please explain? I am mildly confused at the moment."

Unrelated to this, it seems that despite the nomination of two players, there's been no progress towards the choice of a permanent speaker. As such, you have until Sunday - the 3rd of December - at 6:00 UTC to vote for a speaker. Obviously, the vote is restricted to player MPs. As with any other Parliament vote going forward, I will decide the NPCs' votes according to party affiliation and party type, or their personal motivations if they are major NPCs or not part of any party.

Comrade Radek

These conditions were indeed brought to us by members of the relevant parties, and indeed we were quite taken aback to then be presented with radically different public lists of demands. It is to be hoped that whichever miscommunications are responsible can now be swiftly addressed that we may move forward with the necessary tasks of government.

As for the Speakership, I withdraw my nomination, and thus move that Reseau Gen be allowed to assume the position by acclamation.

Shogeton
Apr 26, 2007

"Little by little the old world crumbled, and not once did the king imagine that some of the pieces might fall on him"

Dr Xavier Dubois

On the matter of Speaker, I support the notion of Reseau Gen taking up this role.

As to the MP's worries. Well, it's the first time for many of us. I'm sure we'll get the hang of protocol eventually. We'll have regular elections in the future after all. I can only speak for myself, but what MP Radek says feels like a good step forward for our people. Despite their clear victory they form a government with a large base of support, and if the parliament chooses to grant such a government their Confidence, I look forward to working with them. It's no secret there's going to be some difficult choices to be made, some water will be poured with the wine here and there and there will be some yelling. Probably a lot of yelling. But through all that, I am confident that we'll make a better tomorrow.

But MP Luxembourg is right to put forward what they, what we intend to do, so parliament can make an informed decision on whether to give us their confidence. Once we have a Speaker of course.

Pakled
Aug 6, 2011

WE ARE SMART
Private memo sent to all FDG MPs.

I would urge the honorable members of the Forward Democratic Group to accept the terms of this coalition. These are not conditions dictated by SRLF, but terms worked out by discussions between members of all involved parties. The SRLF is not pursuing a number of the more radical items in their agenda in favor of taking part in a coalition with goals that, I believe, can be broadly agreed on by all of us. Just as they've agreed to moderate themselves, we should seek compromise as well. In these early days of our government, it's critical for the stability of the nation and the public's trust in our new democratic institutions that we demonstrate a commitment to the parliamentary system and embrace the compromises that it encourages.

Danube

AFancyQuestionMark
Feb 19, 2017

Long time no see.
The next to be granted the right to speak is another Guardian Council appointee, William Viner:

"I want to register my extreme opposition to granting the Defense Ministry to a party openly affiliated with an independent armed grouped involved in terror attacks and war crimes against the SDF and which likely harbors hostile intentions towards it."

sniper4625
Sep 26, 2009

Loyal to the hEnd

Comrade Radek

Can you think of a reason that the people, and thus the collective self-defense organizations they formed might harbor hostile intentions towards the SDF? I can think of several. While I recognize and applaud that you, and many others with you eventually saw the light and turned your guns to noble purpose, the fact remains that for many years the only thing the SDF defended was an oppressive and bloody status quo. Like this government, the SDF has quite a bit of work to do to regain the trust of the people, and forcing them to work alongside those they once fought may encourage that.

The fact remains that until the DAL confirms their acceptance of this proposal, the matter remains hypothetical. We will surely take your concerns into account, as we would any held by those who may share your views. I freely encourage concerns to be transmitted to the SRLF, though we of course maintain the right to propose and form a workable government along our stated agenda. After all, the people voted for it.

Godlovesus
Oct 16, 2015

Ask me about continually throwing myself at the enemy and losing every single time in EU4 Multiplayer.
A secured conference room in the Parliament building. The members of the UCS are seated around a boardroom table, expressions pondering. ReSeAu looks impassively, his holoprojected face showing signs of discomfort

While the election results should have come to no surprise to us, considering the association of our group with the prior regime, We must formally decide our next step. We are bound together by our desire to see a revitalized civil service, regardless of our own personal opinions regarding politics and policy.

It is clear that despite mistrust that certain parties have of us, we have been granted an opportunity with the portfolio of the Finance Department and I the speakership. I believe though these first steps we can sow the seeds of our new government and demonstrate to the public that we are worthy of further public trust.

He looks at each member, his gaze lingering on Vivian Grey

We must be unified and accept this as one. I call upon the motion to vote on whether to accept the offers of the man named as Luxembourg for my ascension to Speakership and the party's command of the Finance Portfolio.

I also submit the motion to authorize and request Ms Grey to assist us in gathering more support to caucus with our party, in order to further our goals of a strong professional government.

OOC: Consensus time. If the NPC parties and Vivian accepts. I will take speakership and Finance. I'm also hoping to get Ms. Grey to go convince the following individuals to unofficially caucus/be associated with us
1. Lisa Wyatt
2. William Viner
3. Janet Ollipant
4. Silvia Collins
5. Sofia Juhl
6. Jade Ross
7. Grace Wright

unwantedplatypus
Sep 6, 2012

The next to be granted the right to speak is another Guardian Council appointee, William Viner:

"I want to register my extreme opposition to granting the Defense Ministry to a party openly affiliated with an independent armed grouped involved in terror attacks and war crimes against the SDF and which likely harbors hostile intentions towards it."

The SDF as an institution played a large part in oppressing the citizens of Sirta and propping up the old regime. It only makes sense, then, that our ministry of defense be run by someone who has no ties to the SDF and perhaps some distrust towards them. It is supremely questionable whether Sirta even has need for an organization such as the SDF.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Crazycryodude
Aug 15, 2015

Comrades,

We understand that our offer of the Defense Ministry to the DAL has been.... controversial. And while we still stand by our initial decision, the SRLF must bow to the popular will and rescind the offer. The Defense Ministry will remain under the control of the SRLF, but to ensure that the DAL remains heard, we shall relinquish the Justice Ministry to their full control. We hope this reflects our commitment to the ideals of the revolution, and a promise that all criminals of the former regime will be brought to justice and be made to answer for their crimes. We're not here to create a terror, but justice must be done, fairly and evenly. We'd also like to clarify that the CLF's ability to police their communities will be recognized and legitimized through the newly proposed Militia Union, cementing the people's power in this new Sirta.