Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
CloFan
Nov 6, 2004

Good episode, what else is new. I kept wondering if the kid was real, but by the end I think he was. There was one scene in particular, when they were walking by one of the '71 cyber bombings' memorial with two army guys standing out and the kid shows Elliot he can balance. They didn't give him a second glance, like they would a crazy person talking to himself and stopping to stare at nothing.

Gonz posted:

Esmail really nailed the “movie theater intro bumper” aesthetic at the beginning. That was straight up 90’s cinema.

It was so good I just assumed he straight up lifted it from somewhere lol, title card fantastic as always.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CloFan
Nov 6, 2004

Ooh Red Wheelbarrow got hacked: https://www.red-wheelbarrow.com/

DangerZoneDelux
Jul 26, 2006

CloFan posted:

Good episode, what else is new. I kept wondering if the kid was real, but by the end I think he was. There was one scene in particular, when they were walking by one of the '71 cyber bombings' memorial with two army guys standing out and the kid shows Elliot he can balance. They didn't give him a second glance, like they would a crazy person talking to himself and stopping to stare at nothing.

It was so good I just assumed he straight up lifted it from somewhere lol, title card fantastic as always.

That movie intro wasn't original. I can't remember what chain ran it but i imagine someone on Reddit already dug it up.

CloFan
Nov 6, 2004

The phrase "The concession bar offers [food stuff] and gift cards on special occasions" bugged me. Like, they only sell those on holidays or something?

DangerZoneDelux
Jul 26, 2006

I'm probably mixing intros and it may be original. Regal had one that was a roller coaster but the Mr Robot one was super familiar

Gonz
Dec 22, 2009

"Jesus, did I say that? Or just think it? Was I talking? Did they hear me?"
I'm pretty sure it was original, and while it did feel familiar, I suppose that was the point. It felt like an amalgamation of the Regal Rollercoaster one:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H6o6ZlefvOo

....and this:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wrhse1rtfVA

Gonz
Dec 22, 2009

Oh for gently caress's sake, now i've fallen down the YouTube rabbit hole of movie theater intros and i'm watching some from the 60's and 70's.

Gobbeldygook
May 13, 2009
Hates Native American people and tries to justify their genocides.

Put this racist on ignore immediately!

CloFan posted:

After noticing the kid left the movie theater Elliot asks the guy at the concessions stand if he saw the kid and the guy said yes. So the only way the kid could be fake would be if Elliot was having fake conversations with real people, or the concessions guy was fake too.

also things from Reddit I feel are worth sharing:

quote:

The 'wishing game' is basically an analogy for how angela fell for WR's deceit, wishing she could bring her mother and everyone who died back, realizing that she liked the process of wishing more than the actual result (which is that none of her wishes came true, of course)

quote:

I love the lollipop parallel between Dom and Elliot

quote:

My favorite is that the keys to undoing the hack were there all along, just unknown. The keys to get in the door to Trenton/Mohammad's house were there all along, Elliot just didn't know about them.

quote:

The number 812 appears twice in the episode.
The dealer's briefcase code.
The lingering shot of a hotel door.
Could be something, don't know if it's the same place Elliot bought the Morphine.
---
There's a famous Fellini film called "8 1/2", Rotten Tomatoes has it at 32 in their top 100 "arthouse" movies of all time... a student of film like Esmail would definitely be familiar with it. He's also cited Fellini as one of his favorite directors of all time., and that episode felt Felliniesque.
---
The name of the hotel at the 812 street address was "Hotel Cabiri...."--undoubtedly a reference to Fellini's Nights of Cabiria.

PunkBoy
Aug 22, 2008

You wanna get through this?
That was Christopher Lloyd next to Elliot in the theater, right?

Gonz
Dec 22, 2009

PunkBoy posted:

That was Christopher Lloyd next to Elliot in the theater, right?

Not even close to being him.

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

EMAIL... THE INTERNET... SEARCH ENGINES...

T-man posted:

How is this a mixed feeling episode? The kid is totally another manifestation that'll crush Elliot when he realizes it was a way for him/Mr. Robot to avoid suicide. (The lesbian shoe scene + some of the self consciousness around gay manifesting in the lobby thanks to stereotype drug dealer.) He might've talked to Angela, but she's still seriously hosed up after doing something drat near unforgivable. And our once cleaned up hero has a big bag of morphine to get re addicted with. This is all just salt on the wound, made for worrying be Elliot going back to bad blackmail hacking habits.

ETA: STOP BEING OPTIMISTIC YOU FUCKS

He throws the morphine to Mobley's brother and tells him to use it to pay for the funeral, so he doesn't have it anyway anymore.

empty baggie posted:

yeah, I'm pretty sure he wasn't the same kid, but he looked a lot more like Rami than the original kid.

Child actors change from aging, it happens.

Benson Cunningham posted:

This show's music game is on fire 24/7.

It's so loving good.

Agreed, I liked that during the theater with young Elliot there were riffs of the first season musical theme.

Tenzarin
Jul 24, 2007
Taco Defender
This last episode was so drat good.

Skizzzer
Sep 27, 2011

Gluten Freeman posted:

I missed Dom from this episode but Elliott taking the lollipop from Trenton's brother (did we get a name for him?) clearly says that they'll be working together soon so I'm excited for that.

i think it was mohammed? i think he said it near the end of the episode

sticklefifer
Nov 11, 2003

by VideoGames

DangerZoneDelux posted:

I'm probably mixing intros and it may be original. Regal had one that was a roller coaster but the Mr Robot one was super familiar

I'm 100% sure I've seen the roller coaster intro in a movie theater as recently as within the past year, so apparently theaters still do it. They've just updated their graphics quite a bit since the ones in this episode; I distinctly remember seeing one in 3D.

UZR IS BULLSHIT
Jan 25, 2004
I don’t really get what good undoing the hack does at this point, other than getting revenge on White Rose. All those people are still dead

GutBomb
Jun 15, 2005

Dude?

UZR IS BULLSHIT posted:

I don’t really get what good undoing the hack does at this point, other than getting revenge on White Rose. All those people are still dead

When the email was sent the second hack hadn't happened yet. The email was about undoing the first hack. And fixing the weekends economy won't bring the dead people back to life but will make the existing world less of a shithole.

Fried Watermelon
Dec 29, 2008

Would they even want to undo the hack though?

I can see Elliot talking to Darlene about it and then bringing in Dom. And then it ends with them being shutdown because Ecorp, the FBI, and Whiterose don't want the hack to be undone.

I suppose they could make it public that things could be reversed, causing more unrest with the public.

Very interested to see where the last few episodes go.

SalTheBard
Jan 26, 2005

I forgot to post my food for USPOL Thanksgiving but that's okay too!

Fallen Rib

Fried Watermelon posted:

Would they even want to undo the hack though?

I can see Elliot talking to Darlene about it and then bringing in Dom. And then it ends with them being shutdown because Ecorp, the FBI, and Whiterose don't want the hack to be undone.

I suppose they could make it public that things could be reversed, causing more unrest with the public.

Very interested to see where the last few episodes go.

Why don't you think Ecorp wants the hack undone? After the way White Rose treated Price last week undoing the hack would be a huge boon for Ecorp (not to mention the Ecoin).

Elias_Maluco
Aug 23, 2007
I need to sleep
Excelent episode, but there's one thing I dont understand: why Elliot and Darlene arent arrested?

The FBI knows where they are and has plenty of proof of their connection to the hack and to the Mobley and Trenton, and now they dont need them anymore to find Tyrell

KoRMaK
Jul 31, 2012

I had just watched bttf2 right before this ep. that was weird.

cochise
Sep 11, 2011

Skizzzer posted:

i think it was mohammed? i think he said it near the end of the episode

It is. When Elliot was speaking to Tr3nton's father he said it to the kid when him and his mother were at the door.

Golashes
Aug 8, 2006

team starslay3r!!!!!!

Elias_Maluco posted:

Excelent episode, but there's one thing I dont understand: why Elliot and Darlene arent arrested?

The FBI knows where they are and has plenty of proof of their connection to the hack and to the Mobley and Trenton, and now they dont need them anymore to find Tyrell

I believe she was working with the FBI in exchange for immunity for the two of them, so I assume they're honoring it at this point.

GutBomb
Jun 15, 2005

Dude?

Golashes posted:

I believe she was working with the FBI in exchange for immunity for the two of them, so I assume they're honoring it at this point.

Not only that but isn't that just Dom's board and the FBI is going with IRANIANS and skipping all of the real poo poo Dom is working on?

Elias_Maluco
Aug 23, 2007
I need to sleep

Golashes posted:

yeah, I had forgotten about it. But at the other hand, she didint gave a single valuable information for the FBI did she?

Mameluke
Aug 2, 2013

by Fluffdaddy
There's also Whiterose's plant Santiago actively derailing the investigation at every chance he gets, and outright refusing to arrest Elliot. Dom's on her own unless she can slip into the window between Elliot's use to Whiterose expiring and his likely impending murder.

mrbotus
Apr 7, 2009

Patron of the Pants
The speech WR's assistant gives before executing eliots friends makes me think it's bigger than China ruling the world. Also the fact that Irving is so loyal despite clearly not being paid oodles of money or whatever and being totally nonchalant about the bombings the the other DA plants freaked out after it. Unless Irving is a huge sinophile or something.

Fried Watermelon
Dec 29, 2008

SalTheBard posted:

Why don't you think Ecorp wants the hack undone? After the way White Rose treated Price last week undoing the hack would be a huge boon for Ecorp (not to mention the Ecoin).

Wouldn't Ecorp want everyone to just keep using Ecoin? I could see Price undoing it just to spite White Rose though

counterfeitsaint
Feb 26, 2010

I'm a girl, and you're
gnomes, and it's like
what? Yikes.
E-corp would probably be okay with going back to owning 70% of all debt and running the whole world like it was before.

counterfeitsaint
Feb 26, 2010

I'm a girl, and you're
gnomes, and it's like
what? Yikes.
You guys are missing the obvious here though. Elliot == Ate a lolypop == Dom.

Elliot and Dom are the same person and always have been.

Gonz
Dec 22, 2009

Two episodes left in the season and plenty of time to incorporate this into the soundtrack.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f_rfXVdYelA

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
the kid was a ghost. him and his whole family were killed by rioting assholes. that's why they "went to connecticut" and also why the kid didn't have a phone

Harminoff
Oct 24, 2005

👽
Guy at the movie theatre saw the kid though.

Blind Rasputin
Nov 25, 2002

Farewell, good Hunter. May you find your worth in the waking world.

counterfeitsaint posted:

You guys are missing the obvious here though. Elliot == Ate a lolypop == Dom.

Elliot and Dom are the same person and always have been.

I’m leaving

d0grent
Dec 5, 2004

entire episode was actually a morphine fueled fever dream

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

FEAR MY SHARK ROCKET IT REALLY SUCKS AND BLOWS
This show is completely off the rails. No major cinema was showing Shallow Grave. I was around when that came out and had to go to an indie theater.

FAKE.

Problematic Pigeon
Feb 28, 2011

Elias_Maluco posted:

yeah, I had forgotten about it. But at the other hand, she didint gave a single valuable information for the FBI did she?

Tyrell's location, via Elliot.

Doom Mathematic
Sep 2, 2008

tomapot posted:

Do people really cosplay BTTF like Rocky Horror?

Not as a general rule, but for a screening of Back To The Future Part 2 on October 21, 2015, the day on which Back To The Future Part 2 is set, definitely, yes.

Samizdata
May 14, 2007

Harminoff posted:

Guy at the movie theatre saw the kid though.

It was Elliot with his hood fully up walking on his knees.

Eliot IS Mohammed.

isaboo
Nov 11, 2002

Muay Buok
ขอให้โชคดี
the show is basically a remake of Total Recall

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SpaceAceJase
Nov 8, 2008

and you
have proved