Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,
slægt skal følge slægters gang

A Buttery Pastry posted:

The reason Iceland needs that is because its an island far away from everything, while Denmark sits pretty close to one of the more densely populated parts of the planet, and has been receiving immigrants from most of Europe since the vikings. Iceland meanwhile hasn't seen any real migration since that time.

Also, I think first cousins can procreate for generations without any real problems so if they're far enough out that you need an app to know if you're related it probably isn't a real big deal. I mean they did fine for a millenium without becoming noticeably inbred...

Though part of my family is from the Faroe Islands and I have heard folk tales that sailors from remote lands had their free pick of women (married or not) to impregnate.

At least the Danish 1684 law says you had to get permission from the king if you wanted to marry a relation from the 1st to 3rd degrees (so up to 3rd cousins, however much removed, also it counted by-law relationships). Iceland was under Danish rule until 1944 (until 1814 via Norway).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

Powaqoatse posted:

At least the Danish 1684 law says you had to get permission from the king if you wanted to marry a relation from the 1st to 3rd degrees (so up to 3rd cousins, however much removed, also it counted by-law relationships). Iceland was under Danish rule until 1944 (until 1814 via Norway).

Yeah, the king really wanted to hear from cousin-loving hillbilly farmers whenever they wanted to get married.

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,

Facebook Aunt posted:

Yeah, the king really wanted to hear from cousin-loving hillbilly farmers whenever they wanted to get married.

In practice, it was the chancellery that issued the permits on the king's behalf. Letter of the law contra convenience I guess.

Ornamental Dingbat
Feb 26, 2007

I'm Icelandic and literally thought that everyone's grandmothers were sisters until like the age of 8

mother was adopted by father's aunt but it still would have been legal if they were first cousins by birth

Saint Freak
Apr 16, 2007

Regretting is an insult to oneself
Buglord

Facebook Aunt posted:

I mean, kings and queens might actually be the foremost authorities on cousin-loving, historically.

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,

MausoleumExtremist posted:

I'm Icelandic and literally thought that everyone's grandmothers were sisters until like the age of 8

mother was adopted by father's aunt but it still would have been legal if they were first cousins by birth

One of my Danish uncles married his Faroese first cousin (their dads were brothers but the kids didn't meet until their teens or something). Their children & grandchildren are fine.

Ornamental Dingbat
Feb 26, 2007

Powaqoatse posted:

One of my Danish uncles married his Faroese first cousin (their dads were brothers but the kids didn't meet until their teens or something). Their children & grandchildren are fine.

Yeah, the situation between my parents wasn't bad but I wouldn't put it past some great grandfather Þorsteinn not bothering to travel outside the farmstead to get some rear end. I got this Hapsburg jaw from somewhere.

Syd Midnight
Sep 23, 2005

A Buttery Pastry posted:

The reason Iceland needs that is because its an island far away from everything, while Denmark sits pretty close to one of the more densely populated parts of the planet, and has been receiving immigrants from most of Europe since the vikings. Iceland meanwhile hasn't seen any real migration since that time.

Back during the big economic crisis in the late 00's I read an interview with an Icelandic banker that started with "Before you ask, yes, I know Bjork. We are a small country. I went to grade school with Bjork. She is insane, and so is her mother." Like even before introducing himself. Dude was totally fed up I guess.

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,

Björk is cool and good and that Icelandic banker was probably a turd. I'm assuming he was one of the responsible parties. Also wtf even mentioning anyone not related to banking.

Lone Goat
Apr 16, 2003

When life gives you lemons, suplex those lemons.

Syd Midnight posted:

Back during the big economic crisis in the late 00's I read an interview with an Icelandic banker that started with "Before you ask, yes, I know Bjork. We are a small country. I went to grade school with Bjork. She is insane, and so is her mother." Like even before introducing himself. Dude was totally fed up I guess.

Hahaha I know exactly what article you're talking about, it was by Michael Lewis - the guy that wrote Moneyball and The Big Short (the books that the films were based off).

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

Powaqoatse posted:

Björk is cool and good and that Icelandic banker was probably a turd. I'm assuming he was one of the responsible parties. Also wtf even mentioning anyone not related to banking.
Bjork owns so much

stone cold
Feb 15, 2014

Lone Goat posted:

Hahaha I know exactly what article you're talking about, it was by Michael Lewis - the guy that wrote Moneyball and The Big Short (the books that the films were based off).

here it is

quote:

Because Iceland is really just one big family, it’s simply annoying to go around asking Icelanders if they’ve met Björk. Of course they’ve met Björk; who hasn’t met Björk? Who, for that matter, didn’t know Björk when she was two? “Yes, I know Björk,” a professor of finance at the University of Iceland says in reply to my question, in a weary tone. “She can’t sing, and I know her mother from childhood, and they were both crazy. That she is so well known outside of Iceland tells me more about the world than it does about Björk.”

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,

FactsAreUseless posted:

Bjork owns so much

:hai:

I guess the interviewer brought her up. Kindof an rear end in a top hat thing to shittalk her when the interview is about banking though.

Pastry of the Year
Apr 12, 2013

Powaqoatse posted:

:hai:

I guess the interviewer brought her up. Kindof an rear end in a top hat thing to shittalk her when the interview is about banking though.

especially when you could be asking about this other notable daughter of Iceland

Fleta Mcgurn
Oct 5, 2003

Porpoise noise continues.
A fun thing to do in Crusader Kings 2 is to play as Iceland and name everyone in your family Björk. Also, use cheats to gently caress your family.

TaurusTorus
Mar 27, 2010

Grab the bullshit by the horns

Cheats are unnecessary.

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,

Fleta Mcgurn posted:

name everyone in your family Björk. Also, use cheats to gently caress your family.

TaurusTorus posted:

Cheats are unnecessary.

:whitewater: quotes for the quote thread

Magic Hate Ball
May 6, 2007

ha ha ha!
you've already paid for this
loving Incest on Ice in here jfc

Coffee And Pie posted:

Anyone know of any movies from like the 60s-80s that feature pizza? I'm looking for some shots of pizza, preferably in the style of nasty 70s food photography.

I know it sounds like I'm gonna jerk off to it but I swear I won't.

feedmyleg posted:

Okay that last one is 90s but whatever, I wasn't answering your question anyway.

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,

good lord those are well done

i am scared irl

rodbeard
Jul 21, 2005

Pigsfeet on Rye posted:

I wanna build two little caskets and give those butocks a tasteful, dignified funeral.

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

Sorry dude that's a quote from The Venture Bros.

rodbeard
Jul 21, 2005

Is it? It's been a long time since I've watched the show.

Poops Mcgoots
Jul 12, 2010

rodbeard posted:

Is it? It's been a long time since I've watched the show.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NtB_jvznaNM

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos

Venture Bros. hates women.

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,

the Venture bros creators hate everything & most of all they hate themselves, this is true.

fwiw, Colonel Hunter S. Thompson there later transitions and iirc thats treated fairly well for a weird cartoon.

Not a defense, just talking from memory.

syscall girl
Nov 7, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Fun Shoe

Powaqoatse posted:

the Venture bros creators hate everything & most of all they hate themselves, this is true.

fwiw, Colonel Hunter S. Thompson there later transitions and iirc thats treated fairly well for a weird cartoon.

Not a defense, just talking from memory.

It's almost like HST hated himself irl.

And fictional character Sgt. Hatred uh

Olaf The Stout
Oct 16, 2009

FORUMS NO.1 SLEEPY DAWGS MEMESTER

syscall girl posted:

I believe I read that Hatred was a writing challenge to see if they could write a sympathetic character with pedophile urges. As someone who loves good writing I can't help but be reminded that Humbert Humbert began the same way. Hatred on the show though basically just sucks, and for a long time sidelined Brock, one of the raddest characters ever animated.

ToxicFrog
Apr 26, 2008

Sunswipe posted:

Not sure if my email spam counts as social media, but gently caress it:

drat atheists, they're all working for BIG BATTERY.

queserasera posted:

There's a lot to analyze in this image. Why would atheists want to ban this?

La Brea Carpet posted:

They don't want to admit that something could be dead for three days and come back to life.

rodbeard
Jul 21, 2005

Olaf The Stout posted:

I believe I read that Hatred was a writing challenge to see if they could write a sympathetic character with pedophile urges. As someone who loves good writing I can't help but be reminded that Humbert Humbert began the same way. Hatred on the show though basically just sucks, and for a long time sidelined Brock, one of the raddest characters ever animated.

Humbert Humbert is an unreliable narrator though. He's lying to make himself look like the good guy.

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

What is the Matrix 🌐? We just don't know 😎.

Buglord
Humbert is not supposed to be sympathetic. You're supposed to realize that he's a liar.

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost

syscall girl posted:

Sgt. Hatred is hilarious. "Who wrote this, Henry Darger?!"

"A Skittle?"

poisonpill
Nov 8, 2009

The only way to get huge fast is to insult a passing witch and hope she curses you with Beast-strength.

So we can add Lolita to The Bible when we make our list of “Books Roy Moore Completely Missed the Point Of”

rodbeard
Jul 21, 2005

poisonpill posted:

So we can add Lolita to The Bible when we make our list of “Books Roy Moore Completely Missed the Point Of”

The 1997 version of the film also completely missed the point. It was turned into a straight love story and Jeremy Irons has publicly defended being attracted to children.

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,

*koff koff* i mean humbert style

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

Venture Bros. owns.

poisonpill
Nov 8, 2009

The only way to get huge fast is to insult a passing witch and hope she curses you with Beast-strength.

rodbeard posted:

The 1997 version of the film also completely missed the point. It was turned into a straight love story and Jeremy Irons has publicly defended being attracted to children.

The English actor? The entertainment personality from the UK? :monocle:

Cacafuego
Jul 22, 2007

FactsAreUseless posted:

Venture Bros. owns.

This fact is not useless

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

Powaqoatse posted:

*koff koff* i mean humbert style

WUB WUB WUB-WUB
WUB WUB WUB-WUB
WUB WUB WUB-WUB
Humbert style!

bawk
Mar 31, 2013

Context: Lord Adonis is a roboman being made fun of for advocating ethnic cleansing, so he's now threatening to fight literally every person in the UK Megathread in D&D

Tijuana Bibliophile posted:

how 'bout you suck yer mommas poo poo off my cockhead

Lord_Adonis posted:

Your address please.

Tijuana Bibliophile posted:

by the time you'll have saved up for the plane ticket you're gonna need a visa, brexit boy

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ariong
Jun 25, 2012

thecluckmeme posted:

Context: Lord Adonis is a roboman being made fun of for advocating ethnic cleansing, so he's now threatening to fight literally every person in the UK Megathread in D&D

Lord_Adonis posted:

You piece of poo poo. Where have I ever advocated for ethnic cleansing outside of the very specific case of the United States, and only then after all possible attempts at racial reconciliation have failed?

Holy gently caress.

EDIT: "I'm not saying that ethnostates are a good idea, I'm just saying they're an option. This is a perfectly normal thing to say, and if you disagree with me, I'll loving kill you in real life." - A Real Human™

Ariong has a new favorite as of 21:00 on Dec 2, 2017