Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Senor Tron
May 26, 2006

BSam posted:

also that Yoga song really isn't that great.

I first watched Crazy Ex-Girlfriend on a long distance Emirates flight and didn't see a big chunk of that episode first time through because they cut out all the same-sex attraction references.

They did leave in Valencias line about butt stuff though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hawkperson
Jun 20, 2003

"Yoga" isn't really a Valencia song anyway, that is 100% Rebecca yelling at herself through Valencia. "Movement" is actually Valencia and I can totally see that in her S1 character. She likes being important.

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013

BSam posted:

also that Yoga song really isn't that great.

And it's super guilty of cultural appropriation.

Bossy Bear
Apr 16, 2012

Open Source Idiom posted:

And it's super guilty of cultural appropriation.

I don't think the song is any more guilty of cultural appropriation than Western yoga culture is already. The part of the song with the Sanskrit tattoo seemed to be poking fun at that.

Zil
Jun 4, 2011

Satanically Summoned Citrus

Bossy Bear posted:

I don't think the song is any more guilty of cultural appropriation than Western yoga culture is already. The part of the song with the Sanskrit tattoo seemed to be poking fun at that.

Have always wondered if the tattoo really did say she prefers anal in Sanskrit.

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

Zil posted:

Have always wondered if the tattoo really did say she prefers anal in Sanskrit.
It means "butter chicken."

Jamesman
Nov 19, 2004

"First off, let me start by saying curly light blond hair does not suit Hyomin at all. Furthermore,"
Fun Shoe
This is a terrible comedy show.

But as a show looking at flawed humans that sort of feel real and addresses poo poo like suicide, abortion, mental health, sexuality, etc. it is a phenominal show and I'd dare say it's an important show.

Valencia breaking down made me tear up because this poo poo is just brutal.

Zil
Jun 4, 2011

Satanically Summoned Citrus

FactsAreUseless posted:

It means "butter chicken."

drat, now I am regretting getting one just like hers.

I did not really

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

You shouldn't, butter chicken is delicious.

cant cook creole bream
Aug 15, 2011
I think Fahrenheit is better for weather
Midseason finale tonight.

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.
There is no sign of land.
You are coming down with me, hand in unlovable hand.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

:smith:

Grimey Drawer
All the brands changing to Jeff! Is a nice touch

cant cook creole bream
Aug 15, 2011
Darryl's breakup seemed forced. Well, it literally was, but you know what I mean.

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Your life and your quest end here.

cant cook creole bream posted:

Darryl's breakup seemed forced. Well, it literally was, but you know what I mean.
It's such a weird issue for them to pick to have them break up over. If he didn't already have a kid it would be fine, but he does.

:downs: I want to be a father and you don't.
:confused: But you already are a father. In fact, isn't this your daughter right here?
:downs: Yes, but you see, she wants a sibling.
:confused: So?
:downs: She also seems to want me to break up with you for some reason.
:confused: She does realise that this doesn't guarantee her a sibling right? And you realise that as well? OK then, I guess we're breaking up.

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

I'm so glad they remembered Madison existed.

Necroskowitz
Jan 20, 2011

And even in breaking up they're the healthiest couple on the show.

clown shoes
Jul 17, 2004

Nothing but clowns down here.
That zit squirt (zuirt?) into the martini was one of the grossest things I’ve ever seen.

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

Grimey Drawer
I had to look away.

I loved every bit of Rebecca bonding with Paula's gross dad.

Golden Bee
Dec 24, 2009

I came here to chew bubblegum and quote 'They Live', and I'm... at an impasse.
Pepitone is awesome! You can’t hate his characs even though they’re assholes.

Comrade Fakename
Feb 13, 2012

I kind of worry that this show has jumped the shark here. A woman's slow decent into mania is interesting, a woman's slow recovery into wellness is much less so, even if it is laudable.

Golden Bee
Dec 24, 2009

I came here to chew bubblegum and quote 'They Live', and I'm... at an impasse.
They brought us this far, I’m sure something will go wrong for Rebecca again. I mean evening or normal episode she rode in a car with a drunk driver to Threaten a guy with a gun.
It’s also very clear from the text that her new therapist isn’t that great, he just knows more than she does.

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013
Yeah. I get the sense that sooner or later Paula's going to be forced to choose between helping her family and helping Rebecca. She'll choose her family and Rebecca will feel slighted, in a way that puts their codependency in the crosshairs for the next stage of the show.

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

Grimey Drawer
They've got a plan for four seasons, from what I've heard. So while we have seen Rebecca hit what looks like rock bottom it's a fair bet more troubles are on the way.

And Rachel Bloom has experience with depression so she knows mental illness isn't something you solve.

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

Nah, seems like smooth sailing forever to me.

Asiina
Apr 26, 2011

No going back
Grimey Drawer

FactsAreUseless posted:

Nah, seems like smooth sailing forever to me.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9gVOeTHoOXY

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer

clown shoes posted:

That zit squirt (zuirt?) into the martini was one of the grossest things I’ve ever seen.

hahahah this was seriously so disgusting

Gobbeldygook
May 13, 2009
Hates Native American people and tries to justify their genocides.

Put this racist on ignore immediately!
I've not really been feeling the last couple of episodes. I had the last episode DVR'd, watched half the day after airing, and finally forced my way through it. Something needs to change real soon.

If you crave more Maya aka Esther Povitsky, she stars in an upcoming comedy series on the Freeform channel (???) called Alone Together. Her Instagram stories have also been excellent.

https://www.instagram.com/esthermonster/

Senerio
Oct 19, 2009

Ooh! Are we messing with Adora?

Freeform is what became of ABC Family. New Warriors and Cloak and Dagger is being developed for it.

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos
So I kind of like ABBA, which means that a particular song from the show became a bit of an earworm for me... which I have to stop myself from humming and accidentally singing at work because it's not appropriate, is it?

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

Grimey Drawer
New episode starting nowwww

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

Grimey Drawer
Na-than-I-el

Zaggitz
Jun 18, 2009

My urges are becoming...

UNCONTROLLABLE

Darryl dabbing due to the fact he's got great cum is some next level comedy.

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

Grimey Drawer
Me and Tasmalin

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Your life and your quest end here.

"Shetonka". It means "lady truck". :roflolmao:

Caphi
Jan 6, 2012

INCREDIBLE
Nathaniel getting on Rebecca for trying to do something nice and going crazy like he didn't just try to get Josh's dad deported for her.

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

Caphi posted:

Nathaniel getting on Rebecca for trying to do something nice and going crazy like he didn't just try to get Josh's dad deported for her.
Right?

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos
He was just being evil. Evil is healthy. This is So-Cal we're talking about.

Also "you helped Frankenstein that baby" - new thread title?

hope and vaseline
Feb 13, 2001

Zaggitz posted:

Darryl dabbing due to the fact he's got great cum is some next level comedy.

Can't decide if Darryl's sperm song or Paula's first penis song is my favorite one of the season so far

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos

hope and vaseline posted:

Can't decide if Darryl's sperm song or Paula's first penis song is my favorite one of the season so far

"(Eugh) The Moment Is Me" is still my favorite so far, but "First Penis I Saw" is definitely more of an earworm.

There's a phrase in Hebrew, עשה משהו כאילו כפאו שד, which translates to "doing [something] like you were forced to by a demon", and if I ever had to explain it to anyone, I'd have just the clip to show.

Edit: I just thought about it: Nathaniel didn't just do something evil for Rebecca out of his own volition, she asked him to do it for her, then asked him to call it off when he told her the specifics, which he did. Meanwhile, she took a few off-hand remarks by him and went on an adventure, blackmailing a former subordinate and instigating a car crash in the process.

Absurd Alhazred fucked around with this message at 21:06 on Jan 6, 2018

cant cook creole bream
Aug 15, 2011

Absurd Alhazred posted:

Edit: I just thought about it: Nathaniel didn't just do something evil for Rebecca out of his own volition, she asked him to do it for her, then asked him to call it off when he told her the specifics, which he did. Meanwhile, she took a few off-hand remarks by him and went on an adventure, blackmailing a former subordinate and instigating a car crash in the process.

You're being a bit soft on Nathaniel there. He heard "I want to destroy Josh Chan but I don't really know what to do about that." and interpreted it as "Please kill his Grandpa for me."

They're actually really, really similar. Single child, daddy issues, a mother who wants their best, but sucks at communicating, a tendency to degrade their self worth (even though Nate tries to hide it with his pompousness), unorthodox coping mechanisms, a tendency to go a few dozen steps to far.
Well it makes sense. When they introduced the character, he was pretty much a reflection of Rebeccas past and everything she wanted to get away from. Nowadays he has absorbed the West Covina influence.

For some reason I am really interested in the title of the upcoming episode. Since she'll probably break up with Nathaniel to get her mind in order for a while, it might be the first title which is actually about Rebecca herself.

cant cook creole bream fucked around with this message at 21:53 on Jan 6, 2018

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos

You're being a bit soft on Nathaniel there. He heard "I want to destroy Josh Chan but I don't really know what to do about that." and interpreted it as "Please kill his Grandpa for me."

They're actually really, really similar. Single child, daddy issues, a mother who wants their best, but sucks at communicating, a tendency to degrade their self worth (even though Nate tries to hide it with his pompousness), unorthodox coping mechanisms, a tendency to go a few dozen steps to far.
Well it makes sense. When they introduced the character, he was pretty much a reflection of Rebeccas past and everything she wanted to get away from. Nowadays he has absorbed the West Covina influence.

I think you're really stretching it. Most of the characters have some serious issues with their parents, and they're all different. Her mother is demanding and pushy, her dad is absent; his mother has issues she wasn't sharing with him because of her fear of his father's wrath, while towards him his father is demanding and aloof. It's not a matter of being "soft" on him or "harsh" on her, they're two different people who are hosed up in different ways. As established since Season 1, Audra is her "similar person who chose to stay the suppressed path instead of going off the rails", they don't need that again in Nathaniel.

• Locked thread