Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Pigbuster
Sep 12, 2010

Fun Shoe

Doorknob Slobber posted:

what is it about nuclear throne that just keeps you pressing that retry button

It's probably one of the fastest roguelikes to get going. When you get into a groove the first level can be done in 10 seconds. It's a world of difference from like, Isaac, where the game is a huge slog until you get a fun item. That's what kept it exciting for me, anyway.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

victrix
Oct 30, 2007

Pigbuster posted:

It's probably one of the fastest roguelikes to get going. When you get into a groove the first level can be done in 10 seconds. It's a world of difference from like, Isaac, where the game is a huge slog until you get a fun item. That's what kept it exciting for me, anyway.

Also notably why Gungeon was such a massive loving disappointment

"Look at all these guns! Look at them! There are many!"

*spends 10 minutes with a peashooter*

Away all Goats
Jul 5, 2005

Goose's rebellion

I started playing The Bureau : XCOM and its aggressively okay. Actually, that's not fair. The game itself and the mechanics are fine, it's just really loving buggy. In about 2 hours of play time:

-Enemies have stood motionless outside/beside cover, allowing me to walk up to them and shoot them to death
-The first time I came across a sniper rifle it fell through the floor, preventing me from picking it up.
-I got stuck on terrain and had to reload my save
-Crashed twice

Also the AI for your squad members is borderline retarded, but I admit maybe I just don't understand the command system fully yet. I dislike how much instruction I have to give them regarding their abilities though, like your sniper never uses his critical strike ability unless you explicitly tell him to. Like you might as well carry around a sniper rifle and do all the sniping yourself instead. They feel less like squadmates and more like extensions of my player character. Also you can only have 2 of them at a time, which really hammers in the 'we only gave you two of these guys cause you basically have to babysit them for every fight'

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer
IIRC, The Bureau has been through development hell. The gameplay is nothing special but it tells a pretty good story.

That being said, managing your teammates is a huge part of the gameplay and in the harder fights it is as important as covering and shooting. I don't remember there being any bad class so maybe you just didn't get to the point where leaving them on their own just doesn't work yet.

Basically thinking that it's just a cover shooter and the teammates are there to make the fights look intense is a mindset that won't get you far; thing is designed around commanding them, using them to flank the enemies and so on.

e: VVV You will get better guns as the story progresses, the human firearms are lovely on purpose.

anilEhilated fucked around with this message at 21:51 on Dec 1, 2017

il_cornuto
Oct 10, 2004

I'd like to add that the first few weapons you get in The Bureau feel pretty weak and unsatisfying to use. I'm going to keep playing though, just to see where the story goes.

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

Digirat posted:

Far cry 2 diegetic map and metro 2033 ranger mode :discourse:

doom with interface turned off :black101:

Cowcaster
Aug 7, 2002

well it seems like one guy really likes dawn of war 3 and a lot of people hate it, let's perform the extremely scientific process of checking the metacritic critic's score:

77 points, putting it just 6 points above noted ship sinker and studio closer mass effect: andromeda. i'd be careful.

John Murdoch
May 19, 2009

I can tune a fish.
Yeah unlike ME2 (on Easy/Normal anyway) where you can just kind of let your squad do whatever and occasionally force a skill out or focus fire, you really want to be micromanaging most of the time in the Bureau. It's also hard to get a feel for flanking, which is bad because they kind of gloss over how important it is. IIRC, shooting a target in cover just flat-out does less damage whereas flanking them gives you huge bonuses, in an attempt to be more XCOM-like.

I can speak from experience that it's still possible to brute force your way through on Normal* but it's not ideal. Also worth noting that the game handles difficulty in a really dumb way and asks how you feel about agent permadeath to determine which mode to put you on, but they're still standard crappy difficulty modes. I answered "yeah okay limited permadeath is fine" or whatever and immediately after got to deal with a brick wall of a Muton with inflated health.

*And I did so not realizing there were no fancy Halo-esque weapon strengths/weaknesses, so sometimes me or my squad was still plinking away at aliens using the starting guns because I thought ballistic weapons were better vs. unshielded targets or armor or something.

John Murdoch fucked around with this message at 22:00 on Dec 1, 2017

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
I liked the squad AI in Spec Ops: The Line because all I had to do was point the marker at an enemy and Walker would automagically shout what to do with them at his teammates. And even better, he occasionally angrily reminds his pals what they should be doing if the target is too slippery!

Away all Goats
Jul 5, 2005

Goose's rebellion

John Murdoch posted:

Yeah unlike ME2 (on Easy/Normal anyway) where you can just kind of let your squad do whatever and occasionally force a skill out or focus fire, you really want to be micromanaging most of the time in the Bureau. It's also hard to get a feel for flanking, which is bad because they kind of gloss over how important it is. IIRC, shooting a target in cover just flat-out does less damage whereas flanking them gives you huge bonuses, in an attempt to be more XCOM-like.

I can speak from experience that it's still possible to brute force your way through on Normal but it's not ideal. Also worth noting that the game handles difficulty in a really dumb way and asks how you feel about agent permadeath to determine which mode to put you on, but they're still standard crappy difficulty modes. I answered "yeah okay limited permadeath is fine" or whatever and immediately after got to deal with a brick wall of a Muton with inflated health.

Yeah I forgot to mention how absolutely bullet spongy some of the enemies are, and that's not including guys hiding behind cover. Though I guess it's partly because of using weak human weapons for like the first 2 missions

CJacobs posted:

I liked the squad AI in Spec Ops: The Line because all I had to do was point the marker at an enemy and Walker would automagically shout what to do with them at his teammates. And even better, he occasionally angrily reminds his pals what they should be doing if the target is too slippery!

My standard for competent AI squadmates has always been Republic Commando. They actually felt like elite troopers you fought along side who for the most part were capable of handling the enemy without you having to babysit them.

I don't mind telling my squadmates where to flank on the Bureau, but having to waypoint them around the enemy AND tell them what abilities to use is a little too much IMO

Away all Goats fucked around with this message at 22:02 on Dec 1, 2017

McSpanky
Jan 16, 2005

Too Shy Guy posted:

I got a key the other day from an indie dev for their game Cleansuit, a text parser horror adventure about being stalked through your house by a serial killer. It's got a neat retro aesthetic and some really funny writing, and while it's not a long game it's got a bunch of endings to puzzle out. It's also just $4, and definitely worth it for a few hours of fun.

Extremely dope find, thanks for the review. I love weird creepy-retro and I've been jonesing for a good text parser game lately.

Instruction Manuel
May 15, 2007

Yes, it is what it looks like!

CJacobs posted:

I finished that recently and it was neat how Walker became less professional with his teammates when commanding.

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

You cheated not only the game, but yourself.
But most of all, you cheated BABA

I need some advice in Hollow Knight.

I have the wall-climbing thing. I could go fight the Mantis Lords and lose. Or I could go to this place with horrible teleporting enemies and fight a gatekeeper who teleports, shoots tracking energy balls at me, and stabs his sword at me. And lose. Again.

Is... there somewhere else I can go? Or are these the only two places open to me at the moment? Because I'm pretty sick of only having one sword upgrade and having my reflexes fail me. :(

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!

Wamdoodle posted:

I finished that recently and it was neat how Walker became less professional with his teammates when commanding.

The change from "LUGO, COUNTER-SNIPE" to "TAKE OUT THAT MOTHERRFUCKER ON THE LEDGE" is still really cool and surprisingly subtle.

DiseasedTempest
Oct 9, 2007

StrixNebulosa posted:

I have the wall-climbing thing. I could go fight the Mantis Lords and lose. Or I could go to this place with horrible teleporting enemies and fight a gatekeeper who teleports, shoots tracking energy balls at me, and stabs his sword at me. And lose. Again.

Is... there somewhere else I can go? Or are these the only two places open to me at the moment? Because I'm pretty sick of only having one sword upgrade and having my reflexes fail me. :(

You can access a whole new area if you go to the upper right in Forgotten Crossroads. Alternatively, if you found or bought a Simple Key, you can access another area from the City of Tears not too far from where the big statue is.

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

DiseasedTempest posted:

You can access a whole new area if you go to the upper right in Forgotten Crossroads. Alternatively, if you found or bought a Simple Key, you can access another area from the City of Tears not too far from where the big statue is.

Bless you.

Knorth
Aug 19, 2014

Buglord
Whoops wrong thread

Knorth fucked around with this message at 00:52 on Dec 2, 2017

OzFactor
Apr 16, 2001
Note that you can't go to the upper right area of Forgotten Crossroads until you complete the area past the teleporty guy unless you bought the lamp. Then you can go there. But you should go with the Simple Key thing, that opens up a lot.

I should add that it took me a long time to get better at fighting. One of the things that really helped me was trying to take my time with bosses and relying heavily on Quick Focus, which you should be able to buy now that you can wall climb (I can't remember if you can get to Salubra before that or not, but she's just to the right of where you find Sly, the bottom right of Forgotten Crossroads).

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer

StrixNebulosa posted:

Try heading up from the City of Tears. The map is really open, you can explore in more or less any order you want.

il_cornuto
Oct 10, 2004

StrixNebulosa posted:

If the gatekeeper is the one I'm thinking of, I'm pretty sure you'll need to get past him before making much more meaningful progress, but he has a lot less health than you might think so you might be able tank him with the right charms. There is something you could do that might help, I'm not sure how feasible it is at this point, but have you figured out what's going on with the grubs in jars? If not, explore the first area under the well some more. If you have, check how many you've got - 31 will net you a useful reward, so if you're close to that try finding a few more. The other thing that might help, though again I'm not 100% sure you can do it yet, is exploring deeper under the City of Tears. You may need a key, you should be able to get one but you may have already used it, in which case I think you're out of luck until later.. If you want to know straight out, I'm hoping one of those things can get you another Nail upgrade.

Sorry that's all a little vague, Hollow Knight is big and nonlinear enough that figuring out what's available at any point in time is really hard!

Edit: Wait I just remembered, if you have a lantern which you should be able to get by now, you can explore further to the east when you first enter the well, that can lead you to a whole different track of things to do.

Also I was beaten while I was looking up things, I forgot that you can enter the area east of the Forgotten Crossroads without the upgrade waiting in the Soul Sanctum so I was focused on making the fight easier.

il_cornuto fucked around with this message at 22:38 on Dec 1, 2017

sauer kraut
Oct 2, 2004

Luisfe posted:

Ok drat, the new Humble Monthly early unlocks are Long Dark, Quantum Break and Dawn of War 3.
Yeah ok that owns. All of those are pretty much in the "kinda would like to check it out, but not for more than the price of a sandwich" territory.

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

All of you, thank you - I've been poking around the waterways and I think I might be willing to throw myself at that gatekeeper again. But not tonight. I've hit the limits of my patience tonight when it comes to platforming/combat. Fortunately I've got other things to play~

marjorie
May 4, 2014

Yeah, I was interested enough in Quantum Break to spend $20 on it during the autumn sale, so I'm tickled to be able to return it and spend ~$11 (I had a 10% off humble monthly coupon) on a whole sack of games including QB.

OzFactor
Apr 16, 2001
If you're talking about who I think you're talking about, that gatekeeper is a mini-boss version of the boss of the relatively small area he's... gatekeeping. So if you're having trouble with him... just come back later.

Snuffman
May 21, 2004

Quantum Break's TV stuff is so goddamn weird.

It features an almost entirely different cast, following an almost entirely different plot and really only seems to exist so its main character can be a boss fight.

I thought QB was merely o.k. Its nowhere near as good as the Max Payne games.

I'd love to read what the original pitch for the game was, and how it transformed throughout development.

Snuffman fucked around with this message at 23:03 on Dec 1, 2017

Samuringa
Mar 27, 2017

Best advice I was ever given?

"Ticker, you'll be a lot happier once you stop caring about the opinions of a culture that is beneath you."

I learned my worth, learned the places and people that matter.

Opened my eyes.
If you've reached the City of Tears, have you upgraded your Nail? That should make things smoother.

Crabtree
Oct 17, 2012

ARRRGH! Get that wallet out!
Everybody: Lowtax in a Pickle!
Pickle! Pickle! Pickle! Pickle!

Dinosaur Gum
So has anyone played Seven: The Days Long Gone yet?

Impermanent
Apr 1, 2010
looks good, i'm hoping it actually is good.

al-azad
May 28, 2009

I'm having mixed feelings about Hollow Knight early in the game. It adds some great ideas to the Metroid style like not filling out the map until you rest and a Souls-like death system that makes me think twice about exploring deeper, but the controls feel a little off. I don't like that you bounce back from enemies, I don't like that environmental hazards teleport you (Dust did the smart thing of physically throwing you to safety), and the Strider-like sword swing feels a little imprecise.

Still enjoying it but a bit too many nitpicks for me to say this is a top 10 game of 2017.

BirdOfPlay
Feb 19, 2012

THUNDERDOME LOSER

Shibawanko posted:

Long Dark's a good game, I haven't tried the story stuff yet, is it any good?

Yeah, it's good. I like it better than the sandbox, but you'll still be doing a lot of the same surviving. It functions off of a simple quest system.

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

Samuringa posted:

If you've reached the City of Tears, have you upgraded your Nail? That should make things smoother.

I've upgraded it once! Which does help, but I am really bad at combat.

Too Shy Guy
Jun 14, 2003

I have destroyed more of your kind than I can count.

StrixNebulosa posted:

I've upgraded it once! Which does help, but I am really bad at combat.

The pins that negate the self-knockback from attacks and increase your nail range were tremendously helpful for me. If you’ve found them I would suggest never removing them.

EDIT: In retrospect, one small complaint I have about Hollow Knight is how the pins break down to "interesting" and "boring but practical", without ever giving you enough slots to really mix the two. I found so many that had really neat-sounding effects but then spent the entire game with the ones that show you on the map, auto-pickup geo, negate knockback, increase range, and increase life.

Too Shy Guy fucked around with this message at 23:49 on Dec 1, 2017

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

organize digital employees

Everyone who uses the Steam Guard on your mobile app, please actually print out and save those backup codes. When you actually have to use them you will be glad.

My phone died and the biggest lesson is how I have relied on it so much for 2FA that it's a huge glaring point of failure

il_cornuto
Oct 10, 2004

I never used the one that stops the self-knockback, because I got used to that pretty fast and didn't want to use up a notch, but I'd agree that extending your nail's range makes a huge difference.

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

Too Shy Guy posted:

The pins that negate the self-knockback from attacks and increase your nail range were tremendously helpful for me. If you’ve found them I would suggest never removing them.

EDIT: In retrospect, one small complaint I have about Hollow Knight is how the pins break down to "interesting" and "boring but practical", without ever giving you enough slots to really mix the two. I found so many that had really neat-sounding effects but then spent the entire game with the ones that show you on the map, auto-pickup geo, negate knockback, increase range, and increase life.

I don't have the nail range one, but the knockback one isn't useful to me - I instead have one for making a zone of deadly spores whenever I heal, which is often in combat so it's actually useful :v:

occamsnailfile
Nov 4, 2007

zamtrios so lonely
Grimey Drawer

CharlieFoxtrot posted:

Everyone who uses the Steam Guard on your mobile app, please actually print out and save those backup codes. When you actually have to use them you will be glad.

My phone died and the biggest lesson is how I have relied on it so much for 2FA that it's a huge glaring point of failure

I also had this issue and I thought I had saved the recovery code into my email and...welp, I had not. I rectified that when I got a new phone but having to reactivate the drat authenticator is a huge pain. So yes, write them down somewhere you can access without your phone.

il_cornuto
Oct 10, 2004

Too Shy Guy posted:

I don't know, I never used the auto-pickup geo or negate knockback charms and only used the increase life ones for a couple of bosses. I mainly used soul-related pins instead, and the quick slash for some of the bosses. I think it might be more down to personal preference than practicality, I feel like a lot of the charms could be a staple for someone. Also, being flexible with which charms you're using can make some of the bosses a fair bit easier.

Contingency Plan
Nov 23, 2007

When in December do the mysterious/Holiday cards start dropping for crafting badges?

Scalding Coffee
Jun 26, 2006

You're already dead
How is the new Star Ocean 4k?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Random Asshole
Nov 8, 2010

I just realized that I've accumulated a HUGE supply of cards, what is the best way to sell them all? Ideally I'm looking for something that can automatically set prices, there's like ten pages of them so doing that manually would be a nightmare.