Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Who was YOUR Champion for November, 2017
This poll is closed.
:protogas: Jinder Mahal (FORMER WWE Champion) 7 6.42%
:human being: AJ Styles (WWE Champion) 57 52.29%
:alexa: Alexa Bliss (WWE Women's Champion) 6 5.50%
:eyepop: Ricochet (PWG Champion) 3 2.75%
Brock Lesnar (WWE Universal Champion) 4 3.67%
:spergin: Cody Rhodes (ROH World Champion) 5 4.59%
:shrug: Eli Drake (Impact World Heavyweight Champion) 0 0%
:ironicat: Nattie (FORMER Smackdown Women's Champion) 1 0.92%
:troll: Charlotte (Smackdown Women's Champion) 2 1.83%
:corsair: Masaaki Mochizuki (Open the Dream Gate Champion) 9 8.26%
:derp: WHERE'S OKADA/<OTHER WRESTLER>!?! (None of the Above) 15 13.76%
Total: 109 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

• Locked thread
Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

It was as close as it has ever been, but despite extremely strong challenges from Pentagon Dark, Chuck Taylor and even Viral Meningitis - it was Kazuchika Okada who won the Champ of the Month poll for October of 2017. That marks 7 of 10 months this year that Okada has been victorious - though just like last month his win is perhaps down to the opposition vote being split, which itself only speaks well for the quality of wrestling going on this year.

Eligible Champions are chosen on a combination of accessibility, prestige/notoriety and by overwhelming popular request. There is no hard and fast rule for what qualifies as an "eligible" Champion because that way madness lies - we'd either have 4 poll options or 45. For promotions where lengthy periods of time pass with no title defenses, promos, appearances, shows etc (such as PWG/Lucha Underground) those champions will be dropped from the poll for that period only, then return when once again relevant. This month due to circumstances, the top three contenders from last month's poll are NOT on this month's poll - we will have a new Champion! NXT is still at this current time a Development Brand only, and neither of its top Champions are included on the monthly poll for that reason. The monthly "None of the Above" option is a valid potential "winner" and has "won" the poll in the past, feel free to use this as a protest vote if you so wish.

Now onto the eligible contenders for the month just gone. Feel free to make an argument for/against any particular champion you might in this thread.

:protogas: Jinder Mahal (FORMER WWE Champion) - Jinder Mahal was building up to his challenge against Universal Champion Brock Lesnar at Survivor Series when one more road bump was put in his way. AJ Styles, fresh off an excellent but losing effort against Finn Balor as well as the loss of his US Title to Baron Corbin, was given an opportunity at Jinder's title. Jinder confidently faced off with the same plan as always, distract his opponent with the Singh Brothers who would get beaten up, allowing him to hit his Khallas and retain the title. This time, thankfully, mercifully, the ending was different, and Jinder Mahal's bizarre reign as Champion came to an end.

:human being: AJ Styles (WWE Champion) - WWE Champion once more, AJ went on to have an absolutely excellent match against Brock Lesnar at Survivor Series. Brock won, which was no surprise, but it was one of Brock's best performances in quite some time as AJ seemed to get the very best out of him. Afterwards, Jinder Mahal reminded everybody that he had predicted AJ's loss, but made the mistake of thinking AJ was vulnerable. Both Singhs suffered for this expectation, even when Jinder assaulted AJ from behind before a handicap match, AJ was able to beat both using an insane modified Styles Clash, and ended November STILL the WWE Champion. Thank God.

:alexa: Alexa Bliss (WWE Women's Champion) - Alexa had no title defenses in November, but was front and center in WWE's cross-brand Survivor Series event. Taking part in the Smackdown invasion of Raw, she targeted Charlotte Flair but was unable to do enough damage to prevent her losing to Charlotte at the PPV.

:eyepop: Ricochet (PWG Champion) - Proving that the PWG Championship is a world title, Ricochet defended his belt in Australia at the WSW International Assault Tour. Beating Zack Sabre Jr who has been keen to push pro-wrestling Australia to a more international audience, Ricochet continues a reign many didn't expect since almost everybody is utterly convinced he is soon to be in WWE.

Brock Lesnar (WWE Universal Champion) - Brock made one of his semi-periodic appearances again in November, building towards a less than thrilling potential match against Jinder Mahal. That all changed when AJ Styles took the belt from Jinder, and the match lived up to the hype as Brock and AJ put on one hell of a match. If only Finn Balor would get that chance...

:spergin: Cody Rhodes (ROH World Champion) - As Cody builds to his next big defense against Dalton Castle and, he hopes, a Wrestle Kingdom match against Kota Ibushi, he has taken out Rocky Romero and former champion Christopher Daniels along the way. A success on the Indy scene who has embraced the notion of being an outsider or in some way opposed to/clashing with WWE as he goads others on to leave that company, notably Daniel Bryan. For any faults Cody may have, knowing how to market himself to fans certainly isn't one of them.

:shrug: Eli Drake (Impact Global Champion) - As the former TNA continues to suffer problem after problem, Eli has continued to defend his belt and talk up the company every chance he gets. Defeating Johnny Impact and Petey Williams as the show made a migration to Canada, he also appeared at the recent Wrestlecade show where he successfully defended the belt against Jack Swagger and Johnny Impact.

:ironicat: Nattie (FORMER Smackdown Women's Champion) - Nattie, thrilled to be Champion, took every chance she could to remind people of that fact. But her dreams of a title vs title match at Survivor Series were derailed in Charlotte Flair's hometown, as the daughter of Ric Flair defeated her in a very good match to take the belt and Nattie's coveted spot.

:troll: Charlotte (Smackdown Women's Champion) - Charlotte was on top of the world, a Champion again in her hometown and getting to share the moment with her father, the legendary Ric Flair, who made a "surprise" appearance to celebrate alongside her. More glory was to come at Survivor Series when she defeated Raw Women's Champion Alexa Bliss, but things took a sour note towards the end of November. NXT's Ruby Riott debuted alongside Riott Squad members Sarah Logan and Liv Morgan and attacked Charlotte backstage. The next week they beat Charlotte in a six woman tag, after Nattie abandoned her teammates and the Riott Squad took out Naomi at ringside.

:corsair: Masaaki Mochizuki (Open the Dream Gate Champion) - The Iron Man of Dragon Gate did it again this month at Gate of Destiny, adding another incredible match to now an almost 24 year career in his first defense of the Dream Gate against Susumu Yokosuka. This was a late contender for Dragon Gate's Match of the Year (probably an overall Match of the Year contender as well) and yet another incredible match between these storied rivals with history dating back to Toryumon and M2K. The rest of his month was somewhat quiet, but he's certain to have one more defense in 2017 at Final Gate. Thanks to NotQuiteQuentin

:derp: WHERE'S OKADA/<OTHER WRESTLER>!?! (None of the Above) - If you are shaken to your core at the notion of NOT being able to vote for Okada, or some other wrestler like Toni Storm or Pentagon Dark or Chuckie T, or you just want to throw in a "None of the Above" option, then this choice is for you.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

rare Magic card l00k
Jan 3, 2011

Voted for Tim Storm. Everyone else should too.

GEORGE W BUSHI
Jul 1, 2012

Tim Storm

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!
OKADA SHOULD BE ON JUST FOR TELLING TRENT HE IS HIS BEST FRIEND AND NOT CHUCK T.

Pinche Rudo
Feb 8, 2005

10 pounds of gold, bitch

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

I'm glad I can vote for the Face that run the Place, the Champ that runs the Camp, the Phenomenal

A

J

STYLES

again.

Wiccan Wasteland
Oct 15, 2012
Okada Forever
https://twitter.com/SexyChuckieT/status/933141261527035904

Thauros
Jan 29, 2003

Mochizuki was in dragon gate's best singles match of the year and the company's been far more interesting since he won, he deserves it this month

dromal phrenia
Feb 22, 2004

Seeing Okada's face all over the Past Winners from this year sure gets me excited to vote for Naito in January :q:

Cavauro
Jan 9, 2008

why can't i vote for better champions?

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Cavauro posted:

why can't i vote for better champions?

Because Naito doesn't get the belt till January.

Eight-Six
Oct 26, 2007

Tim Storm write-in.

Cavauro
Jan 9, 2008

Given the unprofessionalism on display in the poll itself, i would like to vote for the champion of a cartoon, netflix show, or film.

Pinche Rudo
Feb 8, 2005

Welfare queen is the true champ of the year

SatoshiMiwa
May 6, 2007

Tiger Mask W for champion and best wrestling TV show

Benne
Sep 2, 2011

STOP DOING HEROIN
AJ saved us from Jinder's reign and had the best Brock singles match in years #ThankYouAJ

Go RV!
Jun 19, 2008

Uglier on the inside.

Where's Tim Storm

Dimebags Brain
Feb 18, 2013

Mochizuki had the best singles match of November and he’s much cooler than Okada.

Presenting my proof: http://www.dailymotion.com/video/x67sjcz

Dimebags Brain fucked around with this message at 16:52 on Dec 2, 2017

Big Coffin Hunter
Aug 13, 2005

Jerusalem posted:

Because Naito doesn't get the belt till January.

okada is better

oatgan
Jan 15, 2009

Big Coffin Hunter posted:

okada is better

wtf i thought you were cool

Big Coffin Hunter
Aug 13, 2005

naito is great but the rainmaker has a special place in my heart and i hope he never loses the belt

Big Coffin Hunter fucked around with this message at 20:43 on Dec 2, 2017

Cavauro
Jan 9, 2008

i vote for Muscular Buff Lucha Libre Wrestler Cartoon Vinyl Decal Sticker (12" Tall), from amazon.

Cardboard Box
Jul 14, 2009

Big Coffin Hunter posted:

naito is great but the rainmaker has a special place in my heart and i hope he never loses the belt

im with you. nothing bad at all to say about naito but okada is just the best

SatoshiMiwa
May 6, 2007

I want Okada to be champ forever but Okada probably needs 6 months of not wrestling main events for his body cause drat this year probably has been hard on him.

Dimebags Brain
Feb 18, 2013

Hopefully Naito will save me from Okada's reign at WK.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

SatoshiMiwa posted:

I want Okada to be champ forever but Okada probably needs 6 months of not wrestling main events for his body cause drat this year probably has been hard on him.

Agreed.

Okada rules and I'd love him to be champ forever, but he's still incredibly young and has many, many, many years ahead of him - give him time to freshen up and Naito a good length reign in the meantime.

Renaissance Spam
Jun 5, 2010

Can it wait a for a bit? I'm in the middle of some *gyrations*

AJ gets my vote, but I feel that Billy Pumpkin has brought enough attention to the Ten Pounds of Gold that the NWA Champion is at least as worthy of voting as the Impact Champion and next month Tim Storm should be officially on this list.

dromal phrenia
Feb 22, 2004

Okada and Naito can both be good FYI.

Okada had a historic reign and NJPW isn't wwe, he isn't going to get shuffled down the card for no reason or have lovely matches or whatever. Although I secretly still want him to team with Yano and go for the tag titles after that pose-off moment they had in the G1 :allears:

Naito as champ is going to be awesome and I hope Almas is still champ in January for maximum TRANQUILO

Veryslightlymad
Jun 3, 2007

I fight with
my brain
and with an
underlying
hatred of the
Erebonian
Noble Faction

Benne posted:

AJ saved us from Jinder's reign and had the best Brock singles match in years #ThankYouAJ

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Renaissance Spam posted:

AJ gets my vote, but I feel that Billy Pumpkin has brought enough attention to the Ten Pounds of Gold that the NWA Champion is at least as worthy of voting as the Impact Champion and next month Tim Storm should be officially on this list.

We used to have the NWA Champion on the list but like zero people voted for them and they'd go multiple months at a time without a title defense. Corgan seems to be at least trying to be a bit more regular about title matches now so if you or somebody else wants to write something up for Storm for next month and send it to me I'll include him on the poll.

SatoshiMiwa
May 6, 2007

Jerusalem posted:

Agreed.

Okada rules and I'd love him to be champ forever, but he's still incredibly young and has many, many, many years ahead of him - give him time to freshen up and Naito a good length reign in the meantime.

Having Naito hold till June or july and Kenny winning would be good, and than you can have Okada go through the g1 and book Okada/Naito for the final

Big Coffin Hunter
Aug 13, 2005

dromal phrenia posted:

Okada had a historic reign and NJPW isn't wwe, he isn't going to get shuffled down the card for no reason or have lovely matches or whatever.

of course not but he's the champ of my heart and should always be champ

Luigi Thirty
Apr 30, 2006

Emergency confection port.

Tim Storm motherfucker.

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!
I voted for Masaaki Mochizuki because he is almost as old as Tim Storm and much less racist and homophobic than AJ Styles.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

That’s unlikely.

KungFu Grip
Jun 18, 2008
Brock's on the list for a non-title match???

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

KungFu Grip posted:

Yeah, putting all the silly "brand loyalty" stuff aside, I felt the AJ/Brock stuff was very much about which Champion was the best and I think that's worthy of inclusion in the poll. Even before the Survivor Series stuff started, Jinder's challenge to Brock was all about proving his Championship reign was legit and that he was better than WWE's other top Champion.

Plus, you know:

Jerusalem posted:

There is no hard and fast rule for what qualifies as an "eligible" Champion because that way madness lies - we'd either have 4 poll options or 45.

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

KungFu Grip posted:

He is a champion and beat the loser who is going to win the poll.

Dimebags Brain
Feb 18, 2013

MassRafTer posted:

I voted for Masaaki Mochizuki because he is almost as old as Tim Storm and much less racist and homophobic than AJ Styles.

Also a better wrestler.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fenrir
Apr 26, 2005

I found my kendo stick, bitch!

Lipstick Apathy

Benne posted:

:yeah:

• Locked thread