Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

RE3 is funny because you play it and go 'why would anyone design a town with nothing but tiny maze like streets?' then years you actually walk around a Japanese town and go 'ah I see'.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Amppelix
Aug 6, 2010

Revelations, the both of them, just came out on Switch (in case you, hypothetical person reading the RE thread, somehow didn't know), so I've been playing 1 for the first time. I could've played it on the 3DS but gently caress everything about playing action games on 3DS.

I just got done with chapter 3 and let me tell you: this game's good. The cruise ship setting is brilliant and fits the series perfectly. In fact it's so good that I really wish the entire game were just set on it. I don't particularly hate the intermittent sequences set elsewhere but if the pattern holds they all seem to be more RE5/6-style action and it's just jarring.

The comms officer was a right pain in the arse who took five tries. And of course, after I defeat him by completely whiffing on one of the explosive canisters and running around for what seems like forever while taking potshots, I discover that there's a fourth explosive in his room. Also didn't think to use my lures at all in that fight. Ah well.

This is actually my first over the shoulder RE game, if you don't count the few false starts I've got on RE5. Never really manage to get into it beyond the first few missions. Hopefully Rev sells well and encourages Capcom to make the 57th RE4 port, this time on the Switch, so it'll finally be on a machine that I own and want to play games on. I do really want to play it.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Amppelix posted:

Revelations, the both of them, just came out on Switch (in case you, hypothetical person reading the RE thread, somehow didn't know), so I've been playing 1 for the first time. I could've played it on the 3DS but gently caress everything about playing action games on 3DS.

I just got done with chapter 3 and let me tell you: this game's good. The cruise ship setting is brilliant and fits the series perfectly. In fact it's so good that I really wish the entire game were just set on it. I don't particularly hate the intermittent sequences set elsewhere but if the pattern holds they all seem to be more RE5/6-style action and it's just jarring.

The comms officer was a right pain in the arse who took five tries. And of course, after I defeat him by completely whiffing on one of the explosive canisters and running around for what seems like forever while taking potshots, I discover that there's a fourth explosive in his room. Also didn't think to use my lures at all in that fight. Ah well.

This is actually my first over the shoulder RE game, if you don't count the few false starts I've got on RE5. Never really manage to get into it beyond the first few missions. Hopefully Rev sells well and encourages Capcom to make the 57th RE4 port, this time on the Switch, so it'll finally be on a machine that I own and want to play games on. I do really want to play it.

The cruise ship setting is so perfect for RE that Revelations is like the... what, 3rd, 4th game to use it? It's kind of amusing how many Evil hosed Up Cruise Ships there are.

Parachute
May 18, 2003

ImpAtom posted:

It's kind of amusing how many Evil hosed Up Cruise Ships there are.

this applies to real-life as well, but i dont think you ever come down with dysentery in RE (don't quote me on that)

Raxivace
Sep 9, 2014

ImpAtom posted:

The cruise ship setting is so perfect for RE that Revelations is like the... what, 3rd, 4th game to use it? It's kind of amusing how many Evil hosed Up Cruise Ships there are.
It's still baffling to me that they somehow worked one into RE7 and made you run through it twice.

Enough with the cruise ships.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007

ImpAtom posted:

that statement also works for revelations alone

Amppelix
Aug 6, 2010

ImpAtom posted:

Well, good thing I skipped straight from RE3 to here, I suppose!

The GIG
Jun 28, 2011

Yeah, I say "Shit" a shit-ton of times. What of it, shithead?

Amppelix posted:

Well, good thing I skipped straight from RE3 to here, I suppose!

It's also a good thing because its the first time Jill has been the protagonist since 3.

Amppelix
Aug 6, 2010

I did know that. I'm casually aware of most of the games in the series and their broad premises. I wouldn't have known about the series apparently being full of cruise ships though!

HerpicleOmnicron5
May 31, 2013

How did this smug dummkopf ever make general?

Amppelix posted:

I did know that. I'm casually aware of most of the games in the series and their broad premises. I wouldn't have known about the series apparently being full of cruise ships though!

It's ok, none of the main games do. Only the light gun game and the game boy game used cruise ships.

Momomo
Dec 26, 2009

Dont judge me, I design your manhole
Revelations has my favorite Jill quote:

"Where are you?"
"I don't know. A room, I think."

Vakal
May 11, 2008

Amppelix posted:

It would be nice if the 3DS Mercenaries game got brought over to the Switch as well.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Oh. That's good to know. Didn't love Revs 2 myself but I liked the first one a lot and even the second would be fun to have on the handheld, but I couldn't bring myself to buy it on Vita after how bad everyone said it was. Switch seems perfect for RE remasters. I hope capcom floods the system with all of them. I'm sure they will because they are capcom.

blackguy32
Oct 1, 2005

Say, do you know how to do the walk?
I'm one of the few that thinks rev 1 was better than rev 2. Rev 2 just never hooked me and I felt a lot of poo poo in it was annoying.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
i liked parts of both, but they each had different serious flaws, too.

Agoat
Dec 4, 2012

I AM BAD AT GAMES
Lipstick Apathy
I don't remember what revelations this is but this was my highlight (sorry for stream clip)
https://twitter.com/Ag0at/status/888422584806723585

Do we have any indication that the RE2 remake is alive

Pocodoco
May 11, 2014
Replaying RE3 currently, having fun with it, I wish RE6 had more of the RE3 vibe, but it can't be helped since desperation isn't really a quality they develop in the series anymore.

Amppelix
Aug 6, 2010

Oh god what is this pair of wisecracking idiots and can they please not be in the game any more after this

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

Amppelix posted:

Oh god what is this pair of wisecracking idiots and can they please not be in the game any more after this

Hahaha.

SkeletonHero
Sep 7, 2010

:dehumanize:
:killing:
:dehumanize:
Please be kind to my best friends, Jackass and Grinder.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

SkeletonHero posted:

Please be kind to my best friends, Jackass and Grinder.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Oh god now I just got reminded of that bit with the invisible hunters.

Amppelix
Aug 6, 2010

Sakurazuka posted:

Oh god now I just got reminded of that bit with the invisible hunters.

Was that bit supposed to be bad? I guess I was too focused on shooting the gun's to notice any potential dumb dialogue.

Lunethex
Feb 4, 2013

Me llamo Sarah Brandolino, the eighth Castilian of this magnificent marriage.
There's nothing wrong with Jackass.

DLC Inc
Jun 1, 2011

Agoat posted:

you'll definitely hear something about it next year

Good soup!
Nov 2, 2010

Agoat posted:

I think at this point the devs at Capcom say they've just been plugging away on it, interested to see if they go the REmake route or RE7 or maybe they have something else up their sleeve

I would totally be fine with pre-rendered backgrounds :shobon:

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

Now that the VA strike is over I wonder if they'll go hire the original voice actors (or at least Alyson Court) and replace/add to the non-union actors they got during the strike. Probably not unless a bunch of people make a clamour.

Agoat
Dec 4, 2012

I AM BAD AT GAMES
Lipstick Apathy

DLC Inc posted:

you'll definitely hear something about it next year

I certainly hope so. RE2 is my favorite.

Good soup! posted:

I think at this point the devs at Capcom say they've just been plugging away on it, interested to see if they go the REmake route or RE7 or maybe they have something else up their sleeve

I would totally be fine with pre-rendered backgrounds :shobon:

I'll happily take all of the above. I don't think I've disliked any of the main series games at all up to this point. I liked 6, even.

DLC Inc
Jun 1, 2011

Remake2 done in the style of RE7 sounds like blasphemy but after how well they handled the formula in 1st person, I'd be completely cool with it being an entirely new take. There are certainly enough setpieces and areas for a first person system to be extremely unnerving. You might need to reconstruct a lot of the station and sewer areas to be bigger but doing some kind of Jack Baker poo poo with Mr. X or even fighting Lickers on the ceilings in 1st person would be tense poo poo.

man nurse
Feb 18, 2014

I really, really want it to be the pre-rendered backgrounds and gameplay style of REmake.

rabidsquid
Oct 11, 2004

LOVES THE KOG

i hate to be that guy that screams to not change something and i really truly enjoyed RE7 but if they remade RE2 in that style it would remove or drastically change everything that was good/charming about RE2. at that point you might as well just be making a brand new game and you'd be pissing a lot of people off expecting, you know, Resident Evil 2

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Yeah RE 2 done in REmake style but with current graphics god drat, Resi 7 style ehhhhhh.

Policenaut
Jul 11, 2008

On the moon... they don't make Neo Kobe Pizza.

Some dude on Reddit awhile back who correctly leaked some stuff about other games had a big leak dump wherein one of the things was claiming REmake 2 was going to be third person and we'd be seeing it "late this year" at the earliest, but who knows if he's right.

Electromax
May 6, 2007
I was more worried about RE4-ifying the remake, not RE7-ing it. I like all 3 games but if they remake it like that FF7 style it won't be the same.

Good soup!
Nov 2, 2010

man nurse posted:

I really, really want it to be the pre-rendered backgrounds and gameplay style of REmake.

:yeah:

The Dark Id
Aug 13, 2005

Why
you
know
I
LOVE
THIS SHIT !!!!
[citation needed]

DLC Inc posted:

Remake2 done in the style of RE7 sounds like blasphemy but after how well they handled the formula in 1st person, I'd be completely cool with it being an entirely new take. There are certainly enough setpieces and areas for a first person system to be extremely unnerving. You might need to reconstruct a lot of the station and sewer areas to be bigger but doing some kind of Jack Baker poo poo with Mr. X or even fighting Lickers on the ceilings in 1st person would be tense poo poo.

That sounds like hot garbage and you should feel bad for thinking it's a good idea. Resident Evil 2 had a LOT of forced combat and everything regarding combat in Resident Evil 7 is the worst the series has ever been. gently caress that noise. That gameplay was hot trash any time there was more than one enemy around.

SuccinctAndPunchy
Mar 29, 2013

People are supposed to get hurt by things. It's fucked up to not. It's not good for you.
I feel like people are going to be upset no matter what style they go for. I'm not sure what style I even want other than "not RE4".

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

I'd be okay with a more standard third person view REmake2 as long as they didn't succumb to the temptation of making it more like RE4-6. I mean, those are fun (I'm even an RE6 apologist) but I already have them. What I don't have is an RE2 that looks good.

rabidsquid
Oct 11, 2004

LOVES THE KOG

The Dark Id posted:

That sounds like hot garbage and you should feel bad for thinking it's a good idea. Resident Evil 2 had a LOT of forced combat and everything regarding combat in Resident Evil 7 is the worst the series has ever been. gently caress that noise. That gameplay was hot trash any time there was more than one enemy around.

i think the problem with RE7 wasnt fundamental to the engine or style but the fact that there's essentially one type of enemy you fight that provides virtually no feedback when you're shooting it. it was a conscious design choice that made shooting feel like total poo poo

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Creamed Cormp
Jan 8, 2011

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
Ideally, they should do semi-fixed cameras that travel along with you so you don't have awful blind spots everywhere. Like Code Veronica, but actually done well.