Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Kite Pride Worldwide
Apr 20, 2009

I just finished Darker Side and got all 880 moons. It was actually way easier than I expected; I only took 4 tries with most of the trouble being right at the start. The ending was really sweet :3:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

^burtle
Jul 17, 2001

God of Boomin'

Rabbid Mario is basically Freddie Mercury, you're crazy.

man nurse
Feb 18, 2014

Yo looks like this just got a patch. Wonder what it updated?

Just Andi Now
Nov 8, 2009

Please be frog glitch please be frog glitch. I want the 503 Moon run to actually end on a high note.

Although I expect it's a fix to the jump rope exploit.

Araxxor
Oct 20, 2012

My disdain for you all knows no bounds.

andipossess posted:

Please be frog glitch please be frog glitch. I want the 503 Moon run to actually end on a high note.

Although I expect it's a fix to the jump rope exploit.

No glitches were fixed. All it added was Korean language support.

Just Andi Now
Nov 8, 2009

drat. Dreams dashed.

Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Dec 22, 2005

GET LOSE, YOU CAN'T COMPARE WITH MY POWERS
Can't you just play "actually play darker side%" instead? What's the point of the category if you don't play the fun final level? Shouldn't you have just stopped at 253 or whatever???

Kaubocks
Apr 13, 2011

personally i think it's hilarious a bunch of work went into routing a speedrun category that allowed them to end with the true final level and then shortly after that they found a bug that let them skip it, defeating the whole point of the category

it's quintessential speedrun

Dirk the Average
Feb 7, 2012

"This may have been a mistake."

Jeffrey of YOSPOS posted:

Can't you just play "actually play darker side%" instead? What's the point of the category if you don't play the fun final level? Shouldn't you have just stopped at 253 or whatever???

This. People will put it in categories. There are different categories for different games like glitchless, no major glitches, etc.

Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Dec 22, 2005

GET LOSE, YOU CAN'T COMPARE WITH MY POWERS
I don't care about glitchless, they can use the frog glitch within darker side for all I care, but it's dumb to play a category that exists only so you play this one level and then not play the level.

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

I HATE THAT HEDGEHOG, BROTHER!
Shout out to people recommending that Undertale speedrun. I know it has nothing to do with Mario but this was the thread it was mentioned in.

I'm glad they did this after what was apparently a TERRIBLE Metroid run. I only read what you guys and others have said about it, I don't think I could bring myself to watch the video out of embarrassment. But the Undertale one, the guy doing the speedrun kept hyping up the crowd in various ways, the crowd itself was super into it, they talk about all the tricks, he encourages in jokes and stuff to be shouted in the audience, etc. Like during the first big Flowey fight, every time he'd hit the boss in the last phase he encouraged the audience to go OW like Flowery does. The announcer seemed to know the perfect times to read donations even when she wasn't prompted to. Several big places like Fangamer and TheYetee donated $10,000 (I think each?) during it. Everdraed called in during the Flowey fight as well. It seemed like the Undertale guy made it his mission to get the crowd in a good mood with his speedrun after the Metroid thing. PLUS he even had his own "kill the animals, save the animals" thing at the end with his own thing (hugging Asriel or shunning him). When the hug happens at the end the crowd goes crazy, it's awesome. It was just a very feel good speedrun. The actual speedrun itself is cool but the highlight is just the atmosphere the dude made.

edit: Neat he also does the end credits bit perfectly and then does the Sans genocide fight cause why not

Macaluso fucked around with this message at 03:38 on Dec 2, 2017

CPColin
Sep 9, 2003

Big ol' smile.
https://twitter.com/CPColin/status/936840636623306752

Zo
Feb 22, 2005

LIKE A FOX
darker side is kinda boring to speed run though, few skips, lots of auto scrolly parts, and it's just actually not that hard compared to what people can do to optimize random rear end moons. people will run what they think is fun.

this is my favorite one from what i've seen here and there (ive never watched a full 500 run because FIVE HOURS) https://clips.twitch.tv/SecretiveEndearingNarwhalAMPEnergy

Mr Phillby
Apr 8, 2009

~TRAVIS~
Loling at the idea that a speedrunner would be upset that there's a crazy glitch that skips the no checkpoint gauntlet at the end of a 5 hour run.

Bungbroy
Dec 14, 2004

Sweet teats of the godbung, lend me thy broys
https://twitter.com/bachslap/status/936829144423264256

Thanks!

Bungbroy fucked around with this message at 17:31 on Dec 2, 2017

Chieves
Sep 20, 2010

Just copy the embed link from Twitter and paste it in. The preview sometimes doesn't show it correctly, but it'll appear fine in the actual post.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

All you have to do is link to the tweet itself. The forum embeds automatically.

Coaaab
Aug 6, 2006

Wish I was there...
Approaching 800 moons and I think my best accomplishment so far was finding the iron fence moon in bowser's castle completely by chance

plape tickler
Oct 21, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo
The bird section in darker side is complete bullshit. doing the same tedious 5 minutes of crap to get hosed over in the beak bird section, goddammit

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
I didn’t have a lot of trouble with the bird section, especially given what this thread led me to expect. It helped a lot to wait a split second before launching yourself so you straighten out.

plape tickler
Oct 21, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo
I was pulling it back and holding it, which was way too slow to connect with the swinging boards. A quicker flick worked. Had enough Mario, gently caress the rest of the moons.

Pierson
Oct 31, 2004

College Slice
Quick yes/no question: Is there anything behind getting every single moon, or is 500 my last major milestone that has a cool reward behind it?

I did love this game and it's been a joy to play I don't really see myself going for every single moon if it's just another boss fight or something, and the Switch release schedule is so insane I'd rather trade in while there's value in it.

Rolo
Nov 16, 2005

Hmm, what have we here?
There something less impacting than the darker side at 100%.

I finished the darker side and felt finished at like 600. Haven’t picked it up since.

9/10 good game.

Pierson
Oct 31, 2004

College Slice
Darker it is then, thanks man.

My only problem with the game is that the Ruined Kingdom clouds didn't majestically roll away upon your return to reveal an entire Dark Souls kingdom.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
I've got everything except the Darker Side and a couple of Dark Side paintings. I just like the excuse to wander around the worlds more.

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

I HATE THAT HEDGEHOG, BROTHER!

Pierson posted:

Darker it is then, thanks man.

My only problem with the game is that the Ruined Kingdom clouds didn't majestically roll away upon your return to reveal an entire Dark Souls kingdom.

It would be cool if they made a whole Ruined Kingdom in the sequel. That felt like a bit of a wasted opportunity

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

The Kwanzaa Bot is here to protect me.

Pierson posted:

Quick yes/no question: Is there anything behind getting every single moon, or is 500 my last major milestone that has a cool reward behind it?

I did love this game and it's been a joy to play I don't really see myself going for every single moon if it's just another boss fight or something, and the Switch release schedule is so insane I'd rather trade in while there's value in it.

lol if you think a first party Nintendo game, let alone a Mario game, is gonna go down in value

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

Pierson posted:

There are some thresholds beyond 500 that result in new costumes being for sale, I think. Not far beyond 500, though.

Pierson
Oct 31, 2004

College Slice

raditts posted:

lol if you think a first party Nintendo game, let alone a Mario game, is gonna go down in value
Is that actually a real thing or just a meme though?

Also I finally made it through (500 moon spoiler) Darker Side. What a great game.

Mr Phillby
Apr 8, 2009

~TRAVIS~

Pierson posted:

Is that actually a real thing or just a meme though?
Nintendo 1st party titles do tend to keep their value for much longer than other games.

I just googled Mario kart for example and found MK7, a game from 2011, is still being sold for £35.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Chances are by the time the prices would go down for age, they'll start going up for rarity. The consoles usually become much cheaper at least, though the Wii U who knows.

mandatory lesbian
Dec 18, 2012
entirely anecdotal but i remember going into gamestop 2 years ago and seeing a used cooy of pokemon emerald still costing like 30 or 35 bucks

but other gba games would cost less so i think its just the popular games everyone remembers that retain the price tag

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Pokemon games in particular tend to be in demand because of the forward compatibility. You need the full daisy chain of handhelds and consoles, and to spend the time playing every one, but you can transfer Pokemon from Ruby and Sapphire all the way to their remakes and onward, and in some cases access move combinations that you can't get in the more recent games. I think the R/S remakes even have a special acknowledgement for taking a Pokemon all the way from the originals.

DACK FAYDEN
Feb 25, 2013

Bear Witness

Inescapable Duck posted:

Pokemon games in particular tend to be in demand because of the forward compatibility. You need the full daisy chain of handhelds and consoles, and to spend the time playing every one, but you can transfer Pokemon from Ruby and Sapphire all the way to their remakes and onward, and in some cases access move combinations that you can't get in the more recent games. I think the R/S remakes even have a special acknowledgement for taking a Pokemon all the way from the originals.
Yeah, Pokemon games still do have the full "GBA game in DS slot, DS game wirelessly with second DS, DS uploading into the cloud with an app, DS uploading into the cloud with another app" going on.

They're locked into supporting Poke Transporter or whatever it's called, the one-way send from gen 5 > gen 6 and true Pokemon Bank compatibility, forever, but that's their only cost.

Astro7x
Aug 4, 2004
Thinks It's All Real
I am in the process of methodically clearly every kingdom with 100% of the moons. It is kind of crazy how much stuff I missed, and I've had to look a handful up. Now the gently caress am I supposed to know to do some of these things? For example, one that I couldn't find in the wooded kingdom involved going to the underground area, getting the frog thing, and then pumping like 1,000 coins into that flower. Where is the precedent that makes you even think that is possible?

Oh well. I am finding going back for the moons more fun than going back for the Korok seeds in Zelda. At least it's exposing me to new parts of the world that I can do stuff in rather than just lift a rock or whatever.

DACK FAYDEN
Feb 25, 2013

Bear Witness

Astro7x posted:

I am in the process of methodically clearly every kingdom with 100% of the moons. It is kind of crazy how much stuff I missed, and I've had to look a handful up. Now the gently caress am I supposed to know to do some of these things? For example, one that I couldn't find in the wooded kingdom involved going to the underground area, getting the frog thing, and then pumping like 1,000 coins into that flower. Where is the precedent that makes you even think that is possible?
If you look around the base of it there are a few fragments of broken coins that look like they do when you spit coins out with that thing's attack, but that's literally the only clue I know of and the Internet told me how to do that one so I don't know.

RCarr
Dec 24, 2007

I had seen the coin frog earlier and when I ran into that pool of water with unobtainable coins laying in it, it seemed pretty obvious.

Echo Chamber
Oct 16, 2008

best username/post combo
https://youtu.be/Bs5Ml7_2wT0
Kate Higgins singing (or more accurately, lip syncing) Jump Up, Super Star at 3:08:34.

Mons Hubris
Aug 29, 2004

fanci flup :)

This hatless Dark Side challenge with the invisible road and Piranha Plants is killing me. I can't get to the end of the path without taking at least one hit, and the big Piranha Plants at the end cover the whole platform in goop before I can actually execute a side somersault.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zo
Feb 22, 2005

LIKE A FOX

Mons Hubris posted:

This hatless Dark Side challenge with the invisible road and Piranha Plants is killing me. I can't get to the end of the path without taking at least one hit, and the big Piranha Plants at the end cover the whole platform in goop before I can actually execute a side somersault.

pick up the hidden star if you need a heal before the end. why are you doing side somersaults? bait an attack then regular jump.

• Locked thread