Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

The Muppets On PCP
Nov 13, 2016

by Fluffdaddy

papa horny michael posted:

They don't care for regressive comfort films, which is all that pixar does.

matt's got a site where he's reviewed just about every lovely mainstream movie that's come out in the past decade

don't be fooled

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gorn Myson
Aug 8, 2007

Matt's movie opinions are worthless, but even just looking over the first few pages of that site, he has to be a real loving idiot to put Guardians of the Galaxy 2 over Alien: Covenant and Shin Godzilla.

He did like the new King Kong though, so fair play. That movie defied my expectations and I loved it more for it.

Edit: He gave Magic Mike XXL 4 stars? I'm back on board, Matt owns.

super fart shooter
Feb 11, 2003

-quacka fat-
congrats matt on bringing the term "failson" into the mainstream of american political discourse

https://twitter.com/jbouie/status/936718515842797569

papa horny michael
Aug 18, 2009

by Pragmatica

The Muppets On PCP posted:

matt's got a site where he's reviewed just about every lovely mainstream movie that's come out in the past decade

don't be fooled

these align with what I said.

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

Restaurant de Nouvelles "À Table" Proudly Presents:
A Climactic Encounter Ending on 1 Negate and a Dream

Gorn Myson posted:

Matt's movie opinions are worthless, but even just looking over the first few pages of that site, he has to be a real loving idiot to put Guardians of the Galaxy 2 over Alien: Covenant and Shin Godzilla.

90% of Shin Godzilla is very heavy handed, lazy "Japanese Government Bureaucracy is bad!" written by Anno.

It's not great

Alien: Covenant is "Oh no how do I course correct the lovely last movie for fans but also still try and expand on this really boring lore that no one asked for or liked???" the movie and is a slog.

Mr. Lobe
Feb 23, 2007

... Dry bones...

ZenMasterBullshit posted:

90% of Shin Godzilla is very heavy handed, lazy "Japanese Government Bureaucracy is bad!" written by Anno.

It's not great

Aren't Godzilla's always heavy handed with the messaging?

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

Restaurant de Nouvelles "À Table" Proudly Presents:
A Climactic Encounter Ending on 1 Negate and a Dream

Mr. Lobe posted:

Aren't Godzilla's always heavy handed with the messaging?

yeah but Anno's directing and writing really drives it over the edge from kind of bad but at least campy fun into a director who's Got A Message And The People Need To Know even though it's the most banal take in the world.

achillesforever6
Apr 23, 2012

psst you wanna do a communism?
:lol: His Only God Forgives review

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!

sexpig by night posted:

Whedon has been a dude people don't like for a while, him coming up as a sexual weirdo just added to it
It must have been weird for Whedon to follow up on the work of a director who made an entire film about how his brand of sexy girl power feminism is dumb and bad.

PostNouveau posted:

Nothing the flash said was funny. He was super offputting.
They're right about him being the tryhard audience self-insert character. Problem is, at his best he's just a less likeable version of the TV Flash.

achillesforever6
Apr 23, 2012

Also Jesus Matt gave loving Dredd *1/2 stars?

Apoplexy
Mar 9, 2003

by Shine
Dredd was awesome, it was exactly what it needed to be. CHRISTMAAAAAAAAAAAAAAN

padijun
Feb 5, 2004

murderbears forever

don't be fooled

hahah

quote:

50 More Shades of Ideology.
by Slavoj Zizek

The subtextual fantasy of the neoliberal subject's relationship to capital of the first film is made explicit in this sequel. Christian Grey's billions go from an irresistible enticement that makes Anastasia Steele overlook his psychotic possessiveness and sadism to an active plot element. In his effort to win Anastasia back after driving her away with physical abuse, Grey purchases the company she works for, thus making her implicitly dependent on him. But he promises to change, to open up, and Anastasia believes him. But Christian is compelled to own her, as Capital will not stop until it owns us all.

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer

Halloween Jack posted:

It must have been weird for Whedon to follow up on the work of a director who made an entire film about how his brand of sexy girl power feminism is dumb and bad.

They're right about him being the tryhard audience self-insert character. Problem is, at his best he's just a less likeable version of the TV Flash.

I never watched the TV show, but it did seem like a big "gently caress you" that they didn't even audition the TV guy for the movie role.

achillesforever6
Apr 23, 2012

Apoplexy posted:

Dredd was awesome, it was exactly what it needed to be. CHRISTMAAAAAAAAAAAAAAN
Reading it I think he is just one of those people who thinks it was a ripoff of the Raid (which he really loves) even though that was more of a case of convergent films.

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010

Gorn Myson posted:

He did like the new King Kong though, so fair play. That movie defied my expectations and I loved it more for it.

Edit: He gave Magic Mike XXL 4 stars? I'm back on board, Matt owns.

Alien Covenant loving sucks

Jonas Albrecht
Jun 7, 2012

Henchman of Santa posted:

Alien Covenant loving sucks

It's complete trash.

NoEyedSquareGuy
Mar 16, 2009

Just because Liquor's dead, doesn't mean you can just roll this bitch all over town with "The Freedoms."

don't be fooled

quote:

The Raid 2
The Raid 2 2014

★★★★½ Added 05 Nov, 2014

RAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA

God drat, that movie was great

achillesforever6
Apr 23, 2012

Gorn Myson posted:

The Marvel movies are entertainment for the masses and better than most of the bougie art films that come out in a year

sub supau
Aug 28, 2007

The only good Marvel movie is Spider-man because the Vulture did nothing wrong.

The_Rob
Feb 1, 2007

Blah blah blah blah!!

achillesforever6 posted:

The Marvel movies are entertainment for the masses and better than most of the bougie art films that come out in a year

Haha nahhhhh

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747

Neon Belly posted:

It's not illegal, it's a funding issue. The CDC isn't supposed to advocate for gun control and that's up to interpretation by the people who control their purse strings.

Lmao

Pomplamoose
Jun 28, 2008

Latest ep was good but they've been doing way too many thot, snack, "looks like a fam" and "thousands of dollars of sushi" jokes lately. Maybe they've always done that and Brendan just edited them out but it's gotten really annoying.

Halloween Jack posted:

I only recently found out about Emmet Rensin and it was far more disappointing than anything about a celebrity.

What'd he do? I know vox fired him for that riot tweet but I haven't heard of any other controversies.

Gorn Myson
Aug 8, 2007

achillesforever6 posted:

Bourgie art films like Alien and Godzilla

cat doter
Jul 27, 2006

gonna need more cheese...australia has a lot of crackers
alien covenant and shin godzilla are so dumb and broad and obvious that I get drat near shocked when people talk about them being good

Okuteru
Nov 10, 2007

Choose this life you're on your own

PostNouveau posted:

Nothing the flash said was funny. He was super offputting.

Jason Momoa's rant about the others was funnier than anything the Flash said or did. Also, he's the reason most of my coworkers even saw the movie. Cheesecake sells.

Gorn Myson
Aug 8, 2007

I want my movies to be clever and narrow and subtle, like the Marvel movies

Breadallelogram
Oct 9, 2012

Pomplamoose posted:

What'd he do? I know vox fired him for that riot tweet but I haven't heard of any other controversies.

Unclear but he was on a list of "lovely media men" and immediately stepped down from his DSA position and deactivated twitter. So he's another sexual harasser of some sort.

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!

Pomplamoose posted:

Latest ep was good but they've been doing way too many thot, snack, "looks like a fam" and "thousands of dollars of sushi" jokes lately. Maybe they've always done that and Brendan just edited them out but it's gotten really annoying.

The riot tweets are cool and good, but multiple reports came out of him being extremely inappropriate towards female writers in his capacity as an editor. He was put on some "list of lovely men in media" where he's accused of sexual assault, but the specific accounts I've read are "just" about sexual harrassment.

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth
The Flash was a lovely Whedon style quip machine that just spat out one liners but Amber was 100% right about Aquaman being incredibly boring aside from being the hottest guy on the roster and his "I'M GONNA DRINK WHISKEY AND GRUMBLE" act not being meant as a joke at all.

Joementum
May 23, 2004

jesus christ
firefly had some interesting world building but the dialogue is just something i can't handle. nobody talks like that. nobody should talk like that.

and him being a fake male feminist is painfully obvious based on his shows alone, even if you've never seen him speak or seen his tweets

padijun
Feb 5, 2004

murderbears forever
I liked Buffy

Sephyr
Aug 28, 2012
Whedon's stuff never sat well with me. One of my GFs went to great lengths to try and get me into Buffy. I didn't think it was -bad-, just never found anything to hold my interest, bit it was still

More recently, a girl I was dating got me to watch Mr. Horrible's sing-along (or something) with her because it was her favorite thing ever, and I found it really, really bad. His brand of "Oh look it's all so clever, cutesy and whimsical, the hero is giving wedgies to the villainOHMIGOD the gun blew up and the cute girls is BLEEDING SLOWLY TO HER DEATH, HER SHRAPNEL-RIDDLED BODY ALMOST SAINTLY IN NEAR-DEATH" is just radioactive there.

The cool thing was that she and I talked about it and she understood why I didn't like it, and no one patronized anyone. I get the feeling my actual ex always thought that my failure to appreciate Joss and his weeping power-waifs was a moral stain on me.

super fart shooter
Feb 11, 2003

-quacka fat-
firefly was cool at the time because there weren't really any other space/sci-fi shows like that, but now that's not true anymore and even back then I thought the writing was really embarassing and bad. also it was really dumb and unimaginative how they took the "space western" concept so literally that every time they'd land on a planet everyone was riding around on horses wearing dusters and shooting old fashioned lever action rifles or whatever

scary ghost dog
Aug 5, 2007

Sephyr posted:

Whedon's stuff never sat well with me. One of my GFs went to great lengths to try and get me into Buffy. I didn't think it was -bad-, just never found anything to hold my interest, bit it was still

More recently, a girl I was dating got me to watch Mr. Horrible's sing-along (or something) with her because it was her favorite thing ever, and I found it really, really bad. His brand of "Oh look it's all so clever, cutesy and whimsical, the hero is giving wedgies to the villainOHMIGOD the gun blew up and the cute girls is BLEEDING SLOWLY TO HER DEATH, HER SHRAPNEL-RIDDLED BODY ALMOST SAINTLY IN NEAR-DEATH" is just radioactive there.

The cool thing was that she and I talked about it and she understood why I didn't like it, and no one patronized anyone. I get the feeling my actual ex always thought that my failure to appreciate Joss and his weeping power-waifs was a moral stain on me.

the juxtaposition of realistic violence and twee characters is much better realized in james gunn's ouevre

Sephyr
Aug 28, 2012

scary ghost dog posted:

the juxtaposition of realistic violence and twee characters is much better realized in james gunn's ouevre

Agreed. Maybe it's just a personal chemistry thing. Gunn's mood shifts don't feel as cheap or melodramatic to me, mostly because he starts from a different place.

poo poo, I even remember one loose Buffy episode I watched ages ago that had a big reveal that the protagonist had come back to life but she was in heaven before and was pissed at her friends for bringing her back to her lovely life. An interesting concept in itself, but it just felt maudlin and off.

Whedon-talk aside, is there any director the crew unanimously likes? Other than, say, David Cronenberg.

Dimebags Brain
Feb 18, 2013

Sephyr posted:

Agreed. Maybe it's just a personal chemistry thing. Gunn's mood shifts don't feel as cheap or melodramatic to me, mostly because he starts from a different place.

poo poo, I even remember one loose Buffy episode I watched ages ago that had a big reveal that the protagonist had come back to life but she was in heaven before and was pissed at her friends for bringing her back to her lovely life. An interesting concept in itself, but it just felt maudlin and off.

Whedon-talk aside, is there any director the crew unanimously likes? Other than, say, David Cronenberg.

Carpenter

achillesforever6
Apr 23, 2012

The_Rob posted:

Haha nahhhhh
I wasn't really being serious btw, I just like consumerist trash

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth
In many ways Stalin was the ultimate 'director'

The Crotch
Oct 16, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo

Sephyr posted:

Presumably: Carpenter, Verhoeven, Herzog, Curtis. Maybe Lynch?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

papa horny michael
Aug 18, 2009

by Pragmatica
Shane Vader