Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

Oh no oh god it's all true!
It's a pretty broad genre, so it depends on what you want. Like, Portal is super good but it's about puzzles, not really about combat or whatever. Titanfall 2 is a recent game that has a really good singleplayer thing, and you can play it pretty cheaply if you buy into that Origin Access thing for a month. Medal of Honor Allied Assault is good. Deus Ex is cool but maybe is too dated? There's a lot of cool stuff!

e: those guys saying you should play Gunslinger are maybe right, though I like Bound in Blood more

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice
my first instinct was one of the halos but I'm open to anything!

corn in the bible posted:

It's a pretty broad genre, so it depends on what you want. Like, Portal is super good but it's about puzzles, not really about combat or whatever. Titanfall 2 is a recent game that has a really good singleplayer thing, and you can play it pretty cheaply if you buy into that Origin Access thing for a month. Medal of Honor Allied Assault is good. Deus Ex is cool but maybe is too dated? There's a lot of cool stuff!

I don't actually know what I like yet! I have played Portal, I wasn't counting that because it isn't really an FPS at all

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

cheetah7071 posted:

just played and finished doom 2016. That was really, really good. I played HL2 for the first time this year and apparently I really like good FPS campaigns--I had stayed away from the genre because I don't like the multiplayer

Since I have an entire genre ahead of me I assume there's a few more truly incredible games out there for me but I'm not sure which they are. Any suggestions on what the absolute best FPS campaigns are? mouse and keyboard controls pretty mandatory, I can't aim with a controller.

Doom, Half Life 1 and Quake 1, and then theres hella Doom and Quake WADS you can play

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

The problem with playing Halo is on a PC you can only play 1 and 2. And you shouldn't play 2 because it's legit half a game, they ran out of time and just cut it in half with a lame non-ending. If you were into console FPSes then it'd be fine to check out the series I guess but otherwise skip it

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

Titanfall 2 is cool but there should be a button to skip all the dialogue

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

The new Wolfensteins are good too

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

cheetah7071 posted:

my first instinct was one of the halos but I'm open to anything!

I don't actually know what I like yet! I have played Portal, I wasn't counting that because it isn't really an FPS at all

Well, fair enough. So, what did you like about Doom and HL2?

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

I just died on loving...Little Hunter, with a sledge, long arms, impact wrists, scarier face and trigger fingers :mad:

chumbler
Mar 28, 2010

In Training posted:

Titanfall 2 is cool but there should be a button to skip all the dialogue

Don't silence my friend BT.

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice

Well, fair enough. So, what did you like about Doom and HL2?

I liked the fast-paced aggressive action in Doom. Like there's literally no downtime during fights, you're always shooting or ripping or tearing

HL2 was a while back but I remember liking the way the levels were put together--just the insane level of polish Valve put into every room

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

chumbler posted:

Don't silence my friend BT.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3FVh7-BTfoY

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

"Everyone's entitled to their point of view, but that's seriously a weird one."

cheetah7071 posted:

Would you could Dishonoured, Deus Ex or Prey?

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

> BEWARE, COWARD :ovr:

Wellll Titanfall 2 has big stompy robot friend and lots of parkour shenanigans which can make things hectic

Call of Juarez Gunslinger is not as quick but still up there, with rewarding combo head shots and skilled use of bullet time and explosives and whatnot (plus the world's greatest unreliable narrator)

Neither are gonna be as hectic as Doom 2016 but they sure beat the speed of e.g. Halo

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

this month's chat thread poll: who's better, BT or Silas Greaves

chumbler
Mar 28, 2010

Ciaphas posted:

this month's chat thread poll: who's better, BT or Silas Greaves

BT is a cool robot, and the other one probably isn't, so BT.

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

he could also play bulletstorm

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

chumbler posted:

BT is a cool robot, and the other one probably isn't, so BT.

silas could beat bt in a fight

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

he could also play bulletstorm

Bulletstorm is sick

Taintrunner
Apr 10, 2017

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
I finally beat The Evil Within 2 and I liked that game a lot! The throwbacks really pay off if you got through the first game. I think it played pretty fun and I really ended up liking all the characters and the emotional beats towards the end. As someone who is not a huge survival horror fan, I really have to reccomend it!

FirstAidKite
Nov 8, 2009

mutata posted:

I've already been laid off SINCE my Infinity layoff! I worked at an AR based silicon valley startup called castAR from July 2016 until they collapsed in April 2017.

Sounds like a prime opportunity to get into the steam indie rpgmaker market

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!
F.E.A.R is a pretty solid fps and the best game monolith ever put out, if you can deal with the dumb shock horror aspects it's a really fun game for slowing down time and nailing super soldiers to walls. i'd second half-life, quake and doom, half-life 1 is old but it has the same level of care put into its level design as 2 with less breaks from the action, and quake and doom are just two of the best arcadey fps games ever

Good point keep talkin
Sep 14, 2011

In Training posted:

Doom, Half Life 1 and Quake 1, and then theres hella Doom and Quake WADS you can play

You had me googling for a mod called "hella doom"

Nina
Oct 9, 2016

Invisible werewolf (entirely visible, not actually a wolf)

you just gotta get the weapons, though. most of the sidequests are optional

You also have to upgrade them all to level 4 which means grinding money and farming the items you can’t buy for most people.

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice
as I usually do when I finish a game, I watched the speedrun of doom

that is a good-rear end speedrun holy poo poo

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

Nina posted:

You also have to upgrade them all to level 4 which means grinding money and farming the items you can’t buy for most people.

you need to specify automata

Instruction Manuel
May 15, 2007

Yes, it is what it looks like!

Ciaphas posted:

Wellll Titanfall 2 has big stompy robot friend and lots of parkour shenanigans which can make things hectic

Call of Juarez Gunslinger is not as quick but still up there, with rewarding combo head shots and skilled use of bullet time and explosives and whatnot (plus the world's greatest unreliable narrator)

Neither are gonna be as hectic as Doom 2016 but they sure beat the speed of e.g. Halo

The Arcade mode in Gunslinger is quick non-stop action.

Taintrunner posted:

I finally beat The Evil Within 2 and I liked that game a lot! The throwbacks really pay off if you got through the first game. I think it played pretty fun and I really ended up liking all the characters and the emotional beats towards the end. As someone who is not a huge survival horror fan, I really have to reccomend it!

I'd call Evil Within 2 more survival action rather than survival horror since you really don't have to baby your supplies too much. Anyone else that's thinking about getting it, I'll saw TEW 2 is the "Aliens" to TEW's "Alien"

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

Evil Within 2 is the second survival horror game I've liked.

The other one is RE4

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OT_H6iyjt38

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

whoof, got too distracted by xbc2 apparently and now it's 130 am and i ain't tired

bodes ill for tomorrowtoday

(e) funny though, for all the time i spent playing yesterday i'm still not sure i actually like the game or not. i think i get into more actiony stuff and less stats-based stuff nowadays

Ciaphas fucked around with this message at 10:29 on Dec 2, 2017

mutata
Mar 1, 2003

FirstAidKite posted:

Sounds like a prime opportunity to get into the steam indie rpgmaker market

:magical:

I don't think I'll be doing anything indie any time soon, if I'm honest, unfortunately. Not for my income, anyway.

Nina
Oct 9, 2016

Invisible werewolf (entirely visible, not actually a wolf)
I can already say Nioh is my action game GOTY even though I’m not through it yet. They really managed to sell a high octane action game by dressing it up as Souls

Help Im Alive
Nov 8, 2009

I'm not very far in Tales of Berseria (I just got the Eizen guy) but are you supposed to be using the other characters in combat ever because they seem so much weaker than Velvet and her crazy claw thing

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

Help Im Alive posted:

I'm not very far in Tales of Berseria (I just got the Eizen guy) but are you supposed to be using the other characters in combat ever because they seem so much weaker than Velvet and her crazy claw thing

Velvet is indeed overpowered as gently caress.

Raxivace
Sep 9, 2014

Help Im Alive posted:

The other characters are still pretty good and can do some cool poo poo, they just have a higher learning curve than Velvet.

Rokurou seems like the hardest overall to get good with to me, but others might have different opinions on this.

LawfulWaffle
Mar 11, 2014

Well, that aligns with the vibes I was getting. Which was, like, "normal" kinda vibes.
I beat Evil Within 2 earlier this week and I give it two thumbs up. I liked the first game and this improved on a lot of things from it. It's still a big shift to make parts of it open world; there were definitely times that I felt like I was spending forever just running around instead of moving to a new area, and I think was definitely not as scary as the first game.

Zaggitz
Jun 18, 2009

My urges are becoming...

UNCONTROLLABLE

December is going to be the month of catching up with all the stuff i missed now that I'm laid off for the holidays and also Tokyo Xanadu Ex+.

I'll get to XC2 eventually but I wanna get my backlog sorted first. 2018 is looking like a slow year anyway.(thank god)

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

Help Im Alive posted:

You can do whatever you feel like. I always like at least trying to learn how to play all the characters in a Tales game. In this one I found Eizen and Eleanor to be really fun so I would occasionally switch between the three and ignored the others. But you can just play as Velvet the whole game too, it's just if you want some variety.

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

Zaggitz posted:

2018 is looking like a slow year anyway.(thank god)

Trails of Cold Steel II's dropping on PC at some point, so that's five or six months taken care of.

Zaggitz
Jun 18, 2009

My urges are becoming...

UNCONTROLLABLE

Really Pants posted:

Trails of Cold Steel II's dropping on PC at some point, so that's five or six months taken care of.

I'll buy it on release but I'm saving a replay of those two games on PC for when CS3 is a bit closer to being out in English.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Rex vs Ray owned but it took me a couple of goes to realise most of the weapons were a trap and I should just smash the poo poo out of it instead.

• Locked thread