Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Goredema
Oct 16, 2013

RUIN EVERYTHING

Fun Shoe

SomethingJones posted:

Well this is me throwing my hands up in light of $6 million space dollah (allegedly) pulled in during a time when the project is technically and demonstrably a mess from start to finish.

It defies common sense and logic.

In terms of gameplay it is indefensible. In terms of technical achievement it is indefensible and unfixable. In terms of art it is all over the place, models can look stunning, planets look terrible, animation is janky and bad. Movement is bad. Physics are bad.

The only way I can understand it is to remove it entirely from the world of games and gaming. It doesn't belong. It is not a game nor a demo of a game, it's more like an interactive mocap session with QWOP style triggers of canned actions.

It's designed that you can clunk your way around and the resulting images onscreen may create something that afterwards you can sit closed eyed and piece together your own mini-drama of what happened.

It evokes the idea of a game without actually being one. It puts you in the mood for the game it is trying to be without ever becoming it.

The only way it ends is if whales stop wanting what it wants to be.

I had called this, but I've been calling it all over this site and I just don't have the energy to suppository this it all the way up the call, so you'll have to call it into the anus of the it suppository call ELE it call itititititititititititcall :trustme::fh:

MFW I called it (see my Dec. blog for more it, + bonus land claim suppository w/ LTI!!!)

Goredema fucked around with this message at 14:02 on Dec 2, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SCtrumpHaters
Oct 28, 2017

by Nyc_Tattoo
That's why you guys are always wrong about CIG predictions. You think people with fresh, cold, critical eyes are looking at this. You don't understand the citizenry like I do. They bought into a vision and the fact that the game is bad now is ancillary because it will be good in the future.

I'm just trying to avoid having you guys end up like the goon bitcoiners who've been doing the whole "its gonna collapse next month for sure" for like half a decade now.

Star Citizen is strong. This poo poo will last til 2020 at least.

Goosfraba
Feb 26, 2016

History Comes Inside! posted:

Why is one Shop Keep and the other SHOPKEEP?

Is there another guy called Shop_Keep somewhere that they just didn't include here?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1j-76eLz1hc

SomethingJones
Mar 6, 2016

<3
I'm going to head off p2w arguments by saying that gamers will put Star Citizen into the p2w box right off the bat, in fact they already do - regardless of semantic fuckery.

It's either p2w or cosmetics only. Publishers don't get to define these, the market defines them and decides which box to put your game in.

In the case of Star Citizen gamers already put it in the 'trash' box

Nyast
Nov 14, 2017

BLAZING AT THE
SPEED OF LIGHT

SomethingJones posted:

Videos of 3.0 being played wouldn't get a kickstarter off the ground right now, not when Elite exists, Dual Universe exists as a slick, smooth alpha, especially not when it's unashamedly a p2w title and especially when it has a fraction of the gameplay that even the launch version of NMS had. With worse graphics than all of them, with worse performance than all of them, worse physics, worse animations.

I feel like they'd suceed, maybe with a bit less money, but still...

You're forgetting people pledge for loving Chris Roberts and a dream. The reality of what they have to show is only secondary. And everybody loves to line up against the "evil publishers" storyline.

Milkfred E. Moore
Aug 27, 2006

'It's easier to imagine the end of the world than the end of capitalism.'
haha yeah i'm sure the two sets of two days where CIG earned exactly the same amounts of money is indicative of their honest financial performance

SCtrumpHaters
Oct 28, 2017

by Nyc_Tattoo
If you can earn it ingame its not really pay to win. And even if it was star citizen isn't really about that. Theres no real way to win. Its a sandbox where you yourself define the rules and decide what your goals are. Some people are just unrealistic. Also gently caress EA and their anti consumer p2w practices.

SCtrumpHaters
Oct 28, 2017

by Nyc_Tattoo
There I citizened it out for you

Nyast
Nov 14, 2017

BLAZING AT THE
SPEED OF LIGHT
Btw what is the date of the new SQ42 reveal, again ?

Daztek
Jun 2, 2006

Nyast posted:

Btw what is the date of the new SQ42 reveal, again ?

Somewhere before Christmas, probably

Goredema
Oct 16, 2013

RUIN EVERYTHING

Fun Shoe

SCtrumpHaters posted:

If you can earn it ingame its not really pay to win. And even if it was star citizen isn't really about that. Theres no real way to win. Its a sandbox where you yourself define the rules and decide what your goals are. Some people are just unrealistic. Also gently caress EA and their anti consumer p2w practices.

If Mario Odyssey had an option in the opening cinematic that charged your credit card $100 and skipped right to the ending cinematic, instead of forcing you to play the game for dozens of hours, Star Citizens would still argue that it wasn't "pay to win", even though they would literally be paying in order to win.

The tragedy is that 99% of them would immediately pay the $100 and skip all the fun of the best game of 2017, just like they're doing with Star Citizen.*

* Although in the case of Star Citizen, they're probably right to do so. There is no game to skip, only a noclip hellscape where a $100 ticket to escape Five Years At Sandi's seems like a bargain.

SomethingJones
Mar 6, 2016

<3

SCtrumpHaters posted:

That's why you guys are always wrong about CIG predictions. You think people with fresh, cold, critical eyes are looking at this. You don't understand the citizenry like I do. They bought into a vision and the fact that the game is bad now is ancillary because it will be good in the future.

I'm just trying to avoid having you guys end up like the goon bitcoiners who've been doing the whole "its gonna collapse next month for sure" for like half a decade now.

It can't be predicted, it isn't possible to get a handle on it. At best you can predict that technically the actual build of it will continue to get worse as time goes on.

All they need to do is cast the net once a year out into the gaming market and scoop up gamers who are quite rightly sick of being hosed over by AAA.

Then they cast another net into the universities for artists and coders. They are doing this now in the UK.

They've completely and accidentally cornered an entire chunk of the market and nobody else is getting their hands on it. Just as Derek cornered his own chunk of it.

All CIG have to do is keep the show on the road - the offices open, the staff on camera, the videos, the sales. The first crack that appears in any of that infrastructure will hurt confidence and sales.

Watching the game development, the funding and the staffing is immaterial. It's the holywood show about space dreams that is the engine.

One last thing! All this 'there is room for plenty of space games, why can't we be one big happy space game family', yeah right, try saying that in a sales meeting.

These companies are ALL fighting blood, tooth and nail for a niche market.

SCtrumpHaters
Oct 28, 2017

by Nyc_Tattoo

SomethingJones posted:

It can't be predicted, it isn't possible to get a handle on it. At best you can predict that technically the actual build of it will continue to get worse as time goes on.

All they need to do is cast the net once a year out into the gaming market and scoop up gamers who are quite rightly sick of being hosed over by AAA.

Then they cast another net into the universities for artists and coders. They are doing this now in the UK.

They've completely and accidentally cornered an entire chunk of the market and nobody else is getting their hands on it. Just as Derek cornered his own chunk of it.

All CIG have to do is keep the show on the road - the offices open, the staff on camera, the videos, the sales. The first crack that appears in any of that infrastructure will hurt confidence and sales.

Watching the game development, the funding and the staffing is immaterial. It's the holywood show about space dreams that is the engine.

One last thing! All this 'there is room for plenty of space games, why can't we be one big happy space game family', yeah right, try saying that in a sales meeting.

These companies are ALL fighting blood, tooth and nail for a niche market.

Its actually really possible to predict. I'm right >90% of the time. You guys just don't get citizens and feel obligated to stick with Derek "ELE" Smart.

TheLastRoboKy
May 2, 2009

Finishing the game with everyone else's continues

SCtrumpHaters posted:

Its actually really possible to predict. I'm right >90% of the time. You guys just don't get citizens and feel obligated to stick with Derek "ELE" Smart.

What can I say dude has better hygiene.

Milky Moor posted:

haha yeah i'm sure the two sets of two days where CIG earned exactly the same amounts of money is indicative of their honest financial performance

Well all things told, if it's a complete load of shitbox then we'll find out soon enough. Though the layoffs that are apparently happening will loosen the load a little I guess I dunno I'm not a pretend businessman.

SCtrumpHaters
Oct 28, 2017

by Nyc_Tattoo
I'll kind of clue you guys in. Put this in the OP quote the poo poo out of it.

CIG only ever gets in "trouble" with the community when they gently caress with the spaceships. All manner of bad things can happen with the project but the only time its not swept under the rug is when it fucks with spaceships. Because it fucks with the theorycrafting. FTR's first negative videos were about how CIG was loving with the spaceships. CIG is learning not to gently caress with the spaceships and negative threads are isolated or ignored.

However none of the spaceship gaffes have resulted in observably lowered funding. The only reason CIG is conceivably hard up is if they overhired. Funding is about the same as last year, maybe a little less at worst. This is after the worst year ever project wise. Released nothing etc. But it hardly affected them funding wise.

So unless CIG is loving with the spaceships there is 0 cause for concern funding wise because the actual game is ancillary to this whole endeavor for at least the next 1 year or so. They've had a 5 year ride so far.

Beexoffel
Oct 4, 2015

Herald of the Stimpire

SomethingJones posted:

The game is only one component of what these guys are buying into here, and it clearly, obviously is NOT the most important thing to them.
I'm surprised as well so thanks for your insight. I'd say the buyers are now in the realm of "wanting to belong to something bigger than oneself".

Combat Theory
Jul 16, 2017

SCtrumpHaters posted:

Combat Theory posted:

I know we all cheered a bit for a "LOL they broke" Sale period, but im happy this thing has a few more millions in the Tank. i only got here half a year ago and this place is cool and good and i like the (sometimes weird) people and the thread the way it is.

SCtrumpHaters
Oct 28, 2017

by Nyc_Tattoo
Guys like Agent Mothman have been way more right than all of you guys about the project over the years. Just food for thought.

Golli
Jan 5, 2013

It really is running on faith at this point.

And faith is defined as "Belief despite the absence of evidence"

The weekly AtV is like the weekly church service that reassures the faithful that their beliefs are valid, that they are part of a community of like-minded individuals and that if they keep believing and supporting the project financially they will be rewarded when the long awaited game is delivered.

There are even annual holidays (Gamescom/Citcon and the annual sale) that give the faithful a chance to congregate in-person and maybe even have an audience with their High Visionary to further reinforce their faith.

And just like with any faith group, when the promised Day of Deliverance comes and goes, they go back to introspection - how did we fail the project, how could we have misinterpreted the signs of it's Deliverance, and look to the High Visionary and his acolytes for guidance on how to continue their part in the work to move toward Deliverance Day. And the answer is "Buy more - spread the word - suffer not the heretic"

This game will never come out as an official release that you can purchase from anyplace but Robert Space, at least not before 2942.

kw0134
Apr 19, 2003

I buy feet pics🍆

And in that light, the only questions that remain are:

1. Whether the funding tracker remotely tracks reality. We are all making these projections based on that, but who the gently caress knows. Since it could be all faked, easily I may add, all our speculation is based on the word of a company that we've seen are bald-faced liars, so all the arguments revolving around it is built on a truly haphazard foundation.

2. Almost irrespective of the first, we know that the star cultists are out in force. They generally put their money with their mouth is. How long can they be milked? This project seems intent on answering that, whether it's some psychological threshold that has yet to be reached or external pressures like the whale teats finally drying up and Crobbers sucking and sucking and getting nothing because there's finally, at long last, nothing left to drain. That is probably unanswerable until if/when it happens.

Zzr
Oct 6, 2016

The dancing cat with his 400 billions will be the last one standing. He will proudly say that he catted it. Maybe that will calm him a little.

SCtrumpHaters
Oct 28, 2017

by Nyc_Tattoo
The absolute earliest is end of 2018 when they fail to meet their quarterly releases. They'll get 3.0 live and mayyybe 3.1 next year. And honestly I think its unlikely even then that it will hurt things. 2019 we might see actual funding consequences.

Daztek
Jun 2, 2006

Pls get a different gimmick

SCtrumpHaters
Oct 28, 2017

by Nyc_Tattoo

Daztek posted:

Pls get a different gimmick

I prefer being correct about Star Citizen. I've stepped out of the "collapsing soon" rollercoaster. Its not a gimmick. If you think I'm wrong I'd be glad to hear your reasons.

Show me your genitals.

TheAgent
Feb 16, 2002

The call is coming from inside Dr. House
Grimey Drawer
in this new world where you can pass a tax bill that fucks over 90% of americans and decry it a victory, star citizen makes a lot more sense

luckily the virus I'm working on will kill every human in this world, letting the dolphins finally ascend to their rightful place as this worlds intelligent and benevolent custodians

SCtrumpHaters
Oct 28, 2017

by Nyc_Tattoo

TheAgent posted:

in this new world where you can pass a tax bill that fucks over 90% of americans and decry it a victory, star citizen makes a lot more sense

luckily the virus I'm working on will kill every human in this world, letting the dolphins finally ascend to their rightful place as this worlds intelligent and benevolent custodians

Yea you've got all this figured out. Super woke my dude.

happyhippy
Feb 21, 2005

Playing games, watching movies, owning goons. 'sup
Pillbug

SCtrumpHaters posted:

I wouldn't say 'strong', maybe 'linger'. Like a cancer patient that has been told dead within 6 months, but still there 3 years later.

AP
Jul 12, 2004

One Ring to fool them all
One Ring to find them
One Ring to milk them all
and pockets fully line them
Grimey Drawer

SCtrumpHaters posted:

They put nearly everything into this sale, lasting till 2020 would certainly be possible and in my view, the safest way to end it, by letting Citizens get bored and drift away. But they'd absolutely need to cut their headcount as it's getting more and more difficult to match previous sales.

TheAgent
Feb 16, 2002

Grimey Drawer

SCtrumpHaters posted:

Yea you've got all this figured out. Super woke my dude.
nothing in life can be said to be certain, besides star citizen and taxes

G0RF
Mar 19, 2015

Some galactic defender you are, Space Cadet.

MedicineHut posted:

Yes, I also think so. What is holding the faithful is that "reasonable hope" that stems from the funding tracker. Everything else is going to the pits but the funding tracker is that one red hot beacon of light and hope that backers go back to to reassure themselves there is still hope.

As I wrote of Chris in my “You lie” blog:

quote:

Putting aside whatever their short term financial needs are, the success of the Anniversary Sale is therefore of paramount symbolic importance. A narrative of declining fortunes and waning public demand is widely-presumed and already much discussed. It hasn’t yet become the lede for their story, yet the presumptions are widespread that such a chapter is due to begin in their tale — too much do they now resemble past archetypical development hell DOAs.

Given CIG’s absolute control without oversight of their sales ticker and given Chris Roberts complete ethical bankruptcy, does anyone seriously believe he would sit idly by and let organic demand as reflected by an honest tracker dictate his entire future? If private manipulations can escape the scrutiny of their backers and the media, postpone his overdue public reckoning and preserve the confidence of his most critical financial supporters, does anyone really believe this pathological deceiver would not pursue them?

As with every word that spatters and spittles out of his mouth, I just find that very hard to believe. If ever there was a time to bend truth towards his warped intentions, it is now. His need to preserve his colossal ego and the massive self-deluding distortion field that protects it from unvarnished reality has never been greater and where there’s a will, there’s a way.

The tracker is his last chance after an inarguably lousy year to tell the tale anew, and I believe Chris Roberts would move Heaven and Earth to ensure that the tale it will tell is the very same one no less than Daztek himself often repeats.

The funding-tracker is no more a reliable measure of organic ongoing demand that Chris is trustworthy guide to the project state. Star Citizen is a tale told by an unreliable narrator who goes before crowds and stares into cameras and lies for the sheer thrill of it.

To trust the tracker as a reliable measure of organic, non-manipulated demand is to confuse Chris Roberts for an honest man. We don’t really know what the tracker measures nor how reliably it does so. What we can know is that, so long as it remains public, it will not be allowed to undermine a narrative of continued success told be a serial fabulist and frequent liar. It will not happen.

PederP
Nov 20, 2009

Golli posted:

It really is running on faith at this point.

It also runs on hope. I've seen quite a few backers who express nothing resembling faith, but they are willing to risk their pledge in the hope it becomes a reality. They are essentially patrons of the project. I've talked to people who've bought a starter pack and don't check on or even care about progress at all, viewing this as another crowdfunded venture among many, and clearly accepting it may fail. There's a lot of loose change among gamers, and some may see this game, shrug at the janky pre-alpha state, and support it anyway because the ship concepts look kinda neat or whatever.

I've backed games that I expected to fail, because I liked the idea, the people behind it or because my prefrontal cortex yet again failed to defeat my impulsivity. There's also games I've backed or bought that I didn't really play much, or are even still sitting in my library. Should I have spent that money on doing actual good for people in need, invested it or saved it for a rainy day? Probably. But we're humans, and not robots. Doing stupid things is part of our DNA. So is the ability to rationalize these stupid decision, mostly by not caring too much, ignoring patterns of behavior, etc.

When there are people every night buying Champagne for 1000$+ and asking the bartender to wash it down the drain, it's not a stretch to believe there are people throwing the same money at space game dreams and not caring if it ends up funding a janky mess or even ending up in someone's offshore bank account. Human willingness to throw away resources is mostly dumb, but sometimes the source of great progress and good. I can't blame CIG or the people behind it for attracting this kind of money. These are the ones picking high Kickstarter tiers and getting a bucketload of merchandise and geeky tokens of gratitude in return.

Where I think it becomes unethical is when a company not only turns a blind eye to, but actively encourages, unhealthy escapism and unrealistic expectations as the motivation for excessive spending. Having a $1000 splurge item in the shop for a fancy "I COULD'VE WASHED CHAMPAGNE" spaceship skin is fine. Selling land claims for $1000 is not. Instead of washing champagne they are selling $1000 passes to an exclusive nightclub not even under construction, but in the planning stages, to people who are really unhappy about the current nightclub scene. It's very close to con-artists targeting the socially handicapped, grieving or other temporarily or permanently vulnerable individuals.

Star Citizen selling these absurdly priced items is what angers me about the project. I'm fine with a company asking for pledges and support, offering relevant tokens of gratitude, and I can excuse a degree of overzealous hype. But selling core game content for hundreds and thousands of dollars? That can never be done in good faith. It will attract backers who expect real value for their money, who will quite possibly feel grief in excess of that caused by the monetary loss. That's really the worst thing to come out of crowdfunding - ventures not funded by hope, faith or trust - but the search for greater purpose and escapism.

Get a refund and go wash some champagne... or even better give it to charity.

SCtrumpHaters
Oct 28, 2017

by Nyc_Tattoo

AP posted:

They put nearly everything into this sale, lasting till 2020 would certainly be possible and in my view, the safest way to end it, by letting Citizens get bored and drift away. But they'd absolutely need to cut their headcount as it's getting more and more difficult to match previous sales.

Theres been nothing wrong with the sales dude. How are you people not getting this? They always sell lots of rare poo poo every year. The money is the last thing that's wrong. The only reason they might feel the pinch is because they overhired.

Incitatus
Dec 16, 2005

The Meat Man was out of wings, Mr. William Ash More!:argh:
They definitely do not need 4 studios. They could shut down the Santa Monica and Frankfurt studios. You keep the one in Austin, as the cost of land is going to be cheaper than Santa Monica and you could feasibly keep the one in the UK for the tax credits or whatever. What does 4 studios accomplish that 2 consolidated studios cannot? Why go international when you don't have one release under your belt?

Incitatus
Dec 16, 2005

The Meat Man was out of wings, Mr. William Ash More!:argh:
Well, we know the Santa Monica studio won't close down due to *Hollywood*.

MedicineHut
Feb 25, 2016

Toops posted:

Before:

After:

I am the "High Poly" in the "After".

AP
Jul 12, 2004

One Ring to find them
Grimey Drawer

SCtrumpHaters posted:

Theres been nothing wrong with the sales dude. How are you people not getting this? They always sell lots of rare poo poo every year. The money is the last thing that's wrong. The only reason they might feel the pinch is because they overhired.

Glad we agree.

Crobbler Benz
Mar 22, 2016

by Lowtax
so who won the predicition for the anniversary week?

TheAgent
Feb 16, 2002

Grimey Drawer

Crobbler Benz posted:

its still going until the 4th!

AP
Jul 12, 2004

One Ring to find them
Grimey Drawer
https://www.twitch.tv/wtfosaurus

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SCtrumpHaters
Oct 28, 2017

by Nyc_Tattoo

Crobbler Benz posted:

Looks like me so far with 6mil. But I may have lowballed it all ships are on sale til the 4th.