Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ThisIsACoolGuy
Nov 2, 2010

Shaped like a friend

All 4 of my freebie core crystals were generics. But some were punchmen so I'm ok

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Calaveron
Aug 7, 2006
:negative:
I feel like this game is telegraphing its twists in such an obvious manner that they can't even be considered spoilers

Also I like the conceit about people from different Titans having wildly different accents since they're meant to be different countries. Is it like this in the Japanese version too

eonwe
Aug 11, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
I heard there is an art I need levelled in order to advance at a certain point

can someone tell me what it is, in spoilers for others please

Infinity Gaia
Feb 27, 2011

a storm is coming...

ThisIsACoolGuy posted:

sometimes when I'm having a bad day I just think about Rex's battle cries at the end of chapter 1 and I smile

Didn't the game just come out yesterday

Doesn't this mean you're having a bad day today

8-Bit Scholar
Jan 23, 2016

by FactsAreUseless
So is there anything special I have to do to access new stages in Tiger Tiger?

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

8-Bit Scholar posted:

So is there anything special I have to do to access new stages in Tiger Tiger?

Story progression. The second one unlocks when you reach the next Titan.

Tender Bender
Sep 17, 2004

8-Bit Scholar posted:

Honestly if they announced a DLC pack that added 20 new unique blades to the game, I'd probably buy it. I finally got my second unique blade and for Rex, so I feel a bit better. I dig how much dialogue the unique blades have -- I got Boreas on Nia and it's hilarious.

EDIT: are Hustle Hycanths supposed to be rare, I've been looking for one more for ages now

According to the store page, one of the dlc packs is exactly that. It's scheduled for May (Wtf?) with a story pack in October? Are those dates just placeholders or what

Blackbelt Bobman
Jul 17, 2004

I don't need friends! I've been
manipulatin' you since the start!
All so I can something,
something X-Blade!

I'm just now leaving on the first mission and I am wondering about the DLC item pack. Do the items go straight into your inventory? Will I benefit from them now, or should I just wait until I get to the next town? I guess I'm wondering if I will miss out if I wait a little bit before buying it.

TurnipFritter
Apr 21, 2010
10,000 POSTS ON TALKING TIME

Neddy Seagoon posted:

Did you miss the part where she adds Her flame abilities aren't derived from fire?

Yes but it's also pointed out that that betrays the fundamental principles of how Ether works, and when pressed on that she pulls the "Um well uh...." bit and Rex stops the line of questioning.

Zore
Sep 21, 2010
willfully illiterate, aggressively miserable sourpuss whose sole raison d’etre is to put other people down for liking the wrong things

Tender Bender posted:

According to the store page, one of the dlc packs is exactly that. It's scheduled for May (Wtf?) with a story pack in October? Are those dates just placeholders or what

Note it adds one unique blade.

ThisIsACoolGuy
Nov 2, 2010

Shaped like a friend

THINK YOU CAN TAKE ME THINK YOU CAN TAKE ME THINK YOU CAN TAKE ME THINK YOU CAN TAKE ME

DON'T FORGET ME DON'T THINK YOU CAN TAKE ME TAKE ME DON'T FORGET ME DON'T FORGET YOU CAN TAKE ME

Infinity Gaia posted:

Didn't the game just come out yesterday

Doesn't this mean you're having a bad day today

yes

:(

8-Bit Scholar
Jan 23, 2016

by FactsAreUseless

ThisIsACoolGuy posted:

THINK YOU CAN TAKE ME THINK YOU CAN TAKE ME THINK YOU CAN TAKE ME THINK YOU CAN TAKE ME

DON'T FORGET ME DON'T THINK YOU CAN TAKE ME TAKE ME DON'T FORGET ME DON'T FORGET YOU CAN TAKE ME

This game is talky as gently caress, which is fine for me playing but I'm glad nobody else has to listen to this in the background for 8 hours.

Tender Bender
Sep 17, 2004

Zore posted:

Note it adds one unique blade.

Lmao I assumed I misread that. gently caress

Klisejo
Apr 13, 2006

Who else see da' Leprechaun say YEAH!
Totally not digging the pile of backtracking fetch quests.

The Concerned Carpenter:

"Hey, thanks for saving me from getting gangbanged by some gorillas, but can you fetch a stack of this ivy from farm nodes?"

"Thanks for the Ivy, I'll go back to town now but the quest isn't over, suck my dick!"

"Thanks for saving my dumbass kid but I need this rare rear end wood, so get hopping, bitch"

"Hey you want this rare rear end wood? Well how about way more money than you have or you can go farm nodes some more, rear end in a top hat"

"You farmed nodes? Sucker. Here's the wood, *snicker*"

"Hey slave, you brought the rare wood, here's some BS reward that totally wasn't worth your time, bye."

But Rocks Hurt Head
Jun 30, 2003

by Hand Knit
Pillbug
I started the game in with the Japanese voice pack but I just can't stand missing out on the during/after combat banter, which was one of the best parts of XC1, and it's not subbed. Onward to the extremely British voices, I guess.

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!

But Rocks Hurt Head posted:

I started the game in with the Japanese voice pack but I just can't stand missing out on the during/after combat banter, which was one of the best parts of XC1, and it's not subbed. Onward to the extremely British voices, I guess.

It's okay the British voices own.

With the exception of when Rex yells, that needed a retake

Harlock
Jan 15, 2006

Tap "A" to drink!!!

Is the first core crystal unlock you get fixed?

katkillad2
Aug 30, 2004

Awake and unreal, off to nowhere
I've watched the GameXplain video like three times and have played the game for about 10 hours and I still don't think I understand the combat. I get the art cancelling on the third hit stuff, I get that it charges my driver special. That's when it kind of falls apart, I'm doing driver combos and blade combos since I see things being unlocked on blade trees for those "do x combo" requirements, but I feel like I'm just kind of pushing buttons.

If someone could answer/explain my next question, I think I might be able to piece how this stuff works. So when Tora's indicator comes up that says "Stone", do I want to use that first or use my own special first? I can't actually find "Stone" anywhere on the character sheets, is Stone the combo itself? GameXplain says that in order to do combos the following special has to be a level higher than the last, how am I supposed to know what level Stone is if I use that first?

Also the little grid that pops up is confusing as well. I get that it's an element grid or whatever, I just can't make any logical sense of the layout.

Echophonic
Sep 16, 2005

ha;lp
Gun Saliva
My first Rare crystal got me some 2-crown cat healer. My second got me a creepy steampunk doll blade called Azami. She's some sort of low-hp booster, seems pretty cool.

Zore
Sep 21, 2010
willfully illiterate, aggressively miserable sourpuss whose sole raison d’etre is to put other people down for liking the wrong things

Harlock posted:

Is the first core crystal unlock you get fixed?

Nope

Zoran
Aug 19, 2008

I lost to you once, monster. I shall not lose again! Die now, that our future can live!

katkillad2 posted:

I've watched the GameXplain video like three times and have played the game for about 10 hours and I still don't think I understand the combat. I get the art cancelling on the third hit stuff, I get that it charges my driver special. That's when it kind of falls apart, I'm doing driver combos and blade combos since I see things being unlocked on blade trees for those "do x combo" requirements, but I feel like I'm just kind of pushing buttons.

If someone could answer/explain my next question, I think I might be able to piece how this stuff works. So when Tora's indicator comes up that says "Stone", do I want to use that first or use my own special first? I can't actually find "Stone" anywhere on the character sheets, is Stone the combo itself? GameXplain says that in order to do combos the following special has to be a level higher than the last, how am I supposed to know what level Stone is if I use that first?

Also the little grid that pops up is confusing as well. I get that it's an element grid or whatever, I just can't make any logical sense of the layout.

“Stone” is the initial special move for Poppi's default element, Earth. It doesn't actually matter what level Poppi is charged to—if she's charged to level 4, she’ll do the level 4 Earth super-move, but for the purposes of blade combos when no one else has used one yet, this still counts as using Stone.

The little tree that appears afterward shows you that you can combo off of it with a level 2 or higher special of the fire or earth elements. If anyone in the party has that element, you'll see a little colored box either on the sides or bottom of the screen with their portrait and the name of the follow-up special they can do. (The sides are for your companions and the bottom is for your lead character. The companions will automatically switch blades if one of their alternate blades has the appropriate element, but the lead won’t switch unless you do it manually.)

Once you or your companions charge their special to level 2, a button prompt will appear in this box (ZL/ZR for companions, A for your lead), and if you hit it, they’ll do the combo move. Then the process repeats, except now you have to reach at least level 3 to do the next move in the sequence.

Zoran fucked around with this message at 20:26 on Dec 2, 2017

8-Bit Scholar
Jan 23, 2016

by FactsAreUseless

katkillad2 posted:

Okay, so it's not AS complex as it seems. Basically, blades all have elements -- Tora is earth by default. Pyra is fire. Elements have different formulas that combine into each other -- fire + earth + wind is one you can get early one. To build those combos, you need to hit the enemy with your special move (the A-button attack) when it is of a higher value than the preceding attack.

So Tora uses Stone, a level 1 earth attack. You have a brief window after he uses that move to build your special meter to level 2 (you'll see the Roman numeral for 2 in that spot). Use a level 2 fire attack continues the combo, and now you need a level 3 wind attack. You'll see an icon from Nia that indicates she can use an attack. She'll build her meter, and since you didn't have her use her special earlier, she'll probably reach level 3 and then you'll get a prompt to press her trigger button. This will trigger a cutscene special attack -- three successive blade arts results in a blade combo, which is really awesome.

A driver combo is using the Break, Topple, Launch and Smash effects, and the game will actually do a guided tutorial for you on that later on.

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

> BEWARE, COWARD :ovr:

I know it shows the blade combos while you're attempting one but is there anywhere out of game that lists what elements chain into each other and what Seals they cause, or some rubric by which to remember them

Ralconn
Aug 2, 2006

Is there really no manual or anything like that for this game?

I'm having a hard time remembering all these systems. :smith:

Lodin
Jul 31, 2003

by Fluffdaddy
Finally after opening twelve cores I got a unique. Obviously it was gonna be this dopey fucker.

At least it has a great bloody hammer to smash stuff with.

Devoyniche
Dec 21, 2008
Kinda bummed that while the environments are as cool as the original, the music is not. It's just generic anime butt rock.
Had they put a track like this during that "top 10" anime battle at the end of chapter 1 I would have had to change my underwear. Instead it was just generic anime grunting and edgy butt rock. (Actually I played that over top of a youtube video of that cutscene, starting it within a few seconds of just before Pyra busts out of the tube, and the whole thing actually matches up eerily well to what's going on on screen. I might weeb out and make an AMV out of it to show what it could have been or something.)

It's not even the most remembered, or beloved song from that game, it's not the one they use as an homage in other games (they use the Guar Plain theme -- which I understand, since that one is great, they even try to emulate it in XB2 in the Gormott area, and the regular battle music as being the most memorable). But that song is so anime in a good way and it actually made the JRPG anime stuff better for it. They sort of start it up as theyre leading into the battle, during the cutscenes, and it adds a lot of drama. I have a lot of thoughts on these games, I could sperg forever.

Also I just killed some random dude in a town? He was looking at the wanted posters in that town in Gormott. He didnt have any dialogue or anything, and I was able to just walk up to him and murder him, and nobody really cared? What's up with that?

Devoyniche fucked around with this message at 21:36 on Dec 2, 2017

Momomo
Dec 26, 2009

Dont judge me, I design your manhole
I'm about an hour and a half into the game so far (probably meeting Pyra soon I imagine) and I'm enjoying it a lot. Rex seems like a pretty good guy, and I can get behind him just wanting to make some good money while also maybe finding a solution to that whole "everyone's gonna loving drown eventually" problem this world has. The voices are also good too, just like the original Xenoblade. The way people billed it I was pretty worried about this stuff, but so far I'm pleasantly surprised.

numerrik
Jul 15, 2009

Falcon Punch!

Momomo posted:

I'm about an hour and a half into the game so far (probably meeting Pyra soon I imagine) and I'm enjoying it a lot. Rex seems like a pretty good guy, and I can get behind him just wanting to make some good money while also maybe finding a solution to that whole "everyone's gonna loving drown eventually" problem this world has. The voices are also good too, just like the original Xenoblade. The way people billed it I was pretty worried about this stuff, but so far I'm pleasantly surprised.

If you like that you’ll probably like the story just fine

Tales of Woe
Dec 18, 2004

abraxas posted:

Is anyone else having issues with Rex not running at full speed when pressing straight up? I'm playing this on a pro controller and I haven't had any problems with it in either BotW, Mario Odyssey, Mario & Rabbids or really anything else I've played. For some reason when I just press straight up on my left analog stick Rex walks slower than when I just press even a little diagonally to the side.

Now I'm wondering if the game's just programmed this way, if my pro controller is somehow just SLIGHTLY faulty in that it doesn't press up enough by one iota or something or if I'm just going insane. I can record an unspoilery video of this if anyone cares enough, I suppose.

I'm having this problem too with my pro controller and recalibrating hasn't fixed it. Anyone else? It doesn't happen 100% of the time but occasionally - at first i thought the game was just making me go slower for a moment to hide that it was loading stuff.

katkillad2
Aug 30, 2004

Awake and unreal, off to nowhere

Thanks friends, I think I got it.

bef
Mar 2, 2010

by Nyc_Tattoo
Glad this game has the same humor as the first

Momomo
Dec 26, 2009

Dont judge me, I design your manhole
So whenever I tried salvaging, the first input has never seemed to register. Is this supposed to happen?

Also I just noticed Nia's ears appear to be backwards. That's gonna bother the hell out of me.

8-bit Miniboss
May 24, 2005

CORPO COPS CAME FOR MY :filez:

Momomo posted:

So whenever I tried salvaging, the first input has never seemed to register. Is this supposed to happen?

Also I just noticed Nia's ears appear to be backwards. That's gonna bother the hell out of me.

It’s faster than the subsequent button presses. Lead it a bit more.

8-Bit Scholar
Jan 23, 2016

by FactsAreUseless

Momomo posted:

The first input can have incredibly harsh timing, salvaging is actually a bit tricky. I think the input is always the same at each Salvage point, but each salvage point is different from the other.

punk rebel ecks
Dec 11, 2010

A shitty post? This calls for a dance of deduction.
So is this game as good as the first so far?

Dirk the Average
Feb 7, 2012

"This may have been a mistake."

8-Bit Scholar posted:

The first input can have incredibly harsh timing, salvaging is actually a bit tricky. I think the input is always the same at each Salvage point, but each salvage point is different from the other.

This isn't always true. For some of the more difficult and remote sites, the inputs can be randomized.

Lord Ephraim
Feb 22, 2008

That's one way to get ahead in life, but nothing beats an axe to the face.
Where the gently caress do you go at the start of chapter 3?

Also I've opened about 20 core crystals and got junk. It's Fate Grand Order all over again. :negative:

8-Bit Scholar
Jan 23, 2016

by FactsAreUseless

Lord Ephraim posted:

Where the gently caress do you go at the start of chapter 3?

Also I've opened about 20 core crystals and got junk. It's Fate Grand Order all over again. :negative:

It's kind of fun in that "this feels like gambling" sort of way, there's a real thrill in using rare crystals. Common ones it's just sort of tedious.

Harlock
Jan 15, 2006

Tap "A" to drink!!!

Reset, open core, reset

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

8-Bit Scholar
Jan 23, 2016

by FactsAreUseless

Harlock posted:

Reset, open core, reset

YOu can't save scum it saves every time you open it