Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

Shooting Blanks posted:

http://www.houstonpress.com/restaurants/dining-out-near-closing-time-how-late-is-too-late-6407033

I think it is mostly an attitude difference between management and hourly employees, especially tipped. It sucks for everyone involved but FOH are more likely to have an entitlement complex about how much to make and when they get to leave - keeping them past that will annoy some of them.

I do remember one of the delivery services bragging about tips in front of the bartender packing up his to go meal before stiffing him. That was sort of lovely.

My view is this: can I get in, get my food, and leave before close? Then ok, fine. Anything after 15 to close is too late as a hard limit, 30 to close is my soft if I'm doing carryout (anytime I'm pushing that close to close anyway I'm doing carryout anyway).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

pile of brown
Dec 31, 2004

JawKnee posted:

not nearly, but you're lying if you think that isn't extra work for no benefit to anyone relying on tips (and no, I don't want to start a tipping conversation over this)

It's also extra work for no benefit for all the people who rely on hourly wages without tips every night, so long as by "extra work" you mean just doing the job youre paid to show up and do.

Recoome
Nov 9, 2013

Matter of fact, I'm salty now.
UberEats and any third party service is poo poo

Naelyan
Jul 21, 2007

Fun Shoe
My issue with third party delivery services isn't that my guys have to make bullshitty modded orders 10 minutes before close sometimes, but that I get about 4 calls a week asking me to sign up for their garbage services in which they put my restaurant on their app and then take a 25% cut on the sales, if things go well. When things go not well, I find my food on an app (or get a call from a customer, mad that the app isn't working properly) that I have not agreed to, usually with an outdated menu, and always causing problems.

gently caress third party delivery services.

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

Out here, everything hurts.

Eh, I'm only against it because the UberEats drivers have no reason to treat your food well, because anything hosed up will be blamed on the restaurant when it arrives.

Oldsrocket_27
Apr 28, 2009
We've got a new server, and holy poo poo have I taken a dislike to her fast. She only wants one or two shifts a week, only wants Friday/Saturday nights, so she's already just there to soak up money shifts where we need our good servers, and a good server she is not. She needs to be told three or four times where a plate in the "window" goes, sometimes even when the ticket is sitting in front of said plate, which means cooks need to go back and tell her over and over while the plate takes up precious space in our combined drink and food pickup spot at the bar. She then sometimes still takes food to the wrong place, which generally means we have to re-make it because people are poo poo and are happy to eat an app they didn't order because they know they won't have to pay for something they got by accident.

She can't keep her credit cards and slips straight for tables where people split checks and needs to have us dig tickets out of the tray for finished tickets mid rush, which then then puts into the pile for tickets that need to be totaled into the till, even after being told why this is all a bad thing. Her response was "What, can't you handle having to sort through them again? Is it just too much for you?" Coming from the person who can't keep her poo poo straight, it's pretty rich, but she's that condescending and assholish to everyone. Any time there's a hold or special request on a ticket, she calls the cook over to explain like we can't loving read. "Hey, you know the sauce that comes on the X burger? The southwest sauce? They want it on the side, okay?" *Hands over a ticket with SOUTHWEST SAUCE ON SIDE ONLY written on it* She chews people out like she's their manager (oh, I'm just joking around about it! teehee!) but always has a reason it's someone else's fault for her constant fuckups. She's serving with the owner's wife today, who already dislikes her, so hopefully she gets an attitude adjustment, or better yet a trip out the door.

The Maestro
Feb 21, 2006
If you’re a new server and only want Friday and Saturday shifts, gently caress off. You gotta put in your time.

I think double checking that the kitchen received your mod is fine and should be encouraged, but don’t do it in a condescending manner and if you have an expo, do it with him or her so you aren’t interrupting the cooks.

I have a new bartender I’m excited about, he’s a creative guy with talent. But with his other job and school, he hasn’t had enough time to get a feel for our bar. So he gets scheduled a night bartending shift and I have to bump him to bar server because he’s not ready, and at this rate, never will be. Frustrating for me and I hope it’s frustrating for him too.

Oldsrocket_27
Apr 28, 2009
If we’re only when it’s something weird and she were nice about it it’d be one thing, she’s pulling cooks aside and talking to us like toddlers to let us know that the burger marked “well done” needs to be well done.

Plan Z
May 6, 2012

"someone who shows up at 8:59 p.m. should get the same treatment as the diner who arrived at 5:59 p.m."

Hahahaha no unless they're nice and tip well I guess.

Anybody here prejudge customers? I hate to admit it, but I do. The one that sticks out the most is that I have a bias that age group between the Boomers and the Greatest. When one of them walks in I'm going to assume they'll bitch about price, complain why our ethnic restaurant doesn't have "normal food", waste my time, and leave like a dollar tip. It's just gone too much that way to make me see otherwise

Trebuchet King
Jul 5, 2005

This post...

...is a
WORK OF FICTION!!

midwesterners.

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

Trebuchet King posted:

midwesterners.

JacquelineDempsey
Aug 6, 2008

Women's Circuit Bender Union Local 34

I swear on my mom's ashes if I catch that new fry cook texting in the middle of our brunch rush tomorrow I'mma throw that iPhone in the fryer

Seriously, this guy's only been here a week, and he's already bitching about when he gets a break, is looking at his phone constantly, and was whining like a total pussy because he bumped into a hot sheet pan. Fucker, I got burns all day long on top of my arthritic T-rex hands that are 20 years older than you, suck it up.

...whew, I feel better now. Thank you, industry thread.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.
I'm a server and even I know enough to not look at your phone during brunch.

Recoome
Nov 9, 2013

Yeah my phone just stays in my bag when I'm on the clock, I couldn't even imagine doing that poo poo because of how it looks.

:siren:3 weeks until I leave hospo:siren:

JacquelineDempsey
Aug 6, 2008

Women's Circuit Bender Union Local 34

Skwirl posted:

I'm a server and even I know enough to not look at your phone during brunch.

He's so fuckin sneaky at it... I'm in a pickle here, maybe someone can give me advice.

I'm pretty fresh at this store myself, I only signed on in late October. That said, my KM, GM, and general crew have all said "hey JD you rock!/so glad to have you/yadda yadda" so I guess I don't suck, and my managers might respect my opinion. I take pride in my workplace, and want my store to succeed. We're the #1 rated place for breakfast in our city on Yelp and TripAdvisor for legit reasons.

Soooo.... am I a total douchebag for ratting this guy out if he's a slack-rear end? I really think he's gonna drag the place down, but I feel awkward bringing this up with the managers since I'm still kinda new.

Shooting Blanks
Jun 6, 2007

Real bullets mess up how cool this thing looks.

-Blade

Is it possible to bust rear end and fill the hot line with plates waiting for items from his station? Basically, redirect focus on the dude who is slow and sucks and let them figure it out on their own.

Mezzanon
Sep 16, 2003

Pillbug
Picked up a day shift today and when I walk in I get told that there’s a reso for 25 at 3:00 pm. Sure I can handle that. 15 kids 10 adults. Then I get told they pre-ordered the food for the kids, sure even better.

3:00 pm hits, 40 people walk in and say “we are the reservation”

Our dining room seats 45 max, so booking it off for 25 was a problem. Also they brought a sheet cake and yell at the manager when he tells them there is a cake fee for bringing your own desserts. I tell them I don’t think I have room for a group of 40 and the alpha bitch just goes “you WILL accommodate us, we are BRINGING you business.” Lady the restaurant is full and I have a twenty minute wait list

Anyways, we end up seating 12 of them in the bar and 28 in the restaurant, the pre-ordered pizza comes out and also 20 people want to order additional food and beverages. Two hours later they want the pre-ordered food split between certain people and also for me to combine the bills of certain moms with certain children with certain dads. Everybody is telling me jersey numbers because they’re a sports team but none of the kids are wearing jerseys.

What a gently caress show. Luckily I keep insanely detailed notes so I could split all of this bullshit.

JawKnee
Mar 24, 2007

You'll take the ride to leave this town along that yellow line

pile of brown posted:

It's also extra work for no benefit for all the people who rely on hourly wages without tips every night, so long as by "extra work" you mean just doing the job youre paid to show up and do.

itt the unironic endorsement for arbitrary increases in work without additional compensation

gently caress this industry, burn it to the ground and piss on the ashes - happiest day ever when I got out

Chef De Cuisinart
Oct 31, 2010

Brandy does in fact, in my experience, contribute to Getting Down.

JawKnee posted:

itt the unironic endorsement for arbitrary increases in work without additional compensation

gently caress this industry, burn it to the ground and piss on the ashes - happiest day ever when I got out

Sorry you don't like 3rd party delivery, but business is business. May as well turn away early birds and latecomers because of the inconveniences to you, and the arbitrary increase in work.

Recoome
Nov 9, 2013

Mezzanon posted:

Picked up a day shift today and when I walk in I get told that there’s a reso for 25 at 3:00 pm. Sure I can handle that. 15 kids 10 adults. Then I get told they pre-ordered the food for the kids, sure even better.

Our dining room seats 45 max, so booking it off for 25 was a problem. Also they brought a sheet cake and yell at the manager when he tells them there is a cake fee for bringing your own desserts. I tell them I don’t think I have room for a group of 40 and the alpha bitch just goes “you WILL accommodate us, we are BRINGING you business.” Lady the restaurant is full and I have a twenty minute wait list

Anyways, we end up seating 12 of them in the bar and 28 in the restaurant, the pre-ordered pizza comes out and also 20 people want to order additional food and beverages. Two hours later they want the pre-ordered food split between certain people and also for me to combine the bills of certain moms with certain children with certain dads. Everybody is telling me jersey numbers because they’re a sports team but none of the kids are wearing jerseys.

What a gently caress show. Luckily I keep insanely detailed notes so I could split all of this bullshit.

jesus christ what a nightmare

Oldsrocket_27
Apr 28, 2009

Mezzanon posted:

Fuuuuck that, you're a god amongst men for putting up with that poo poo.

Trebuchet King posted:

midwesterners.

As a midwesterner in a tipped position, absolutely yes.

Mezzanon
Sep 16, 2003

Pillbug

Trebuchet King posted:

midwesterners.

Just lol if you’ve never had to serve a table of hudderites.

Trebuchet King
Jul 5, 2005

This post...

...is a
WORK OF FICTION!!

the frustration i have with third party delivery apps is when we get a phone call for a carryout item that hasn’t been on our menu in years and they have the gall to say “well we already took their payment” like that’s somehow our problem.

did you ask us to take part in this? no. you ripped an outdated menu off of some two-bit tripadvisor and decided you could make a buck off of us. we owe you nothing, and now we’re stuck dealing with people blaming us for your poor service decisions.

prayer group
May 31, 2011

$#$%^&@@*!!!

Mezzanon posted:

My man, you are the second coming of Jesus Christ Himself for putting up with that and not eating a child's head off his neck as I would have. If I could buy you a Fernet and a beer I would.

Oldsrocket_27
Apr 28, 2009

Mezzanon posted:

Just lol if you’ve never had to serve a table of hudderites.

Wait, where do you live? I thought hutterites were a relatively local thing. If you don't want to say, it's not a problem, but it'd be interesting if we're in the same area.

Mezzanon
Sep 16, 2003

Pillbug

Oldsrocket_27 posted:

Wait, where do you live? I thought hutterites were a relatively local thing. If you don't want to say, it's not a problem, but it'd be interesting if we're in the same area.

Alberta

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

We don't need to have that dialogue because it's obvious, trivial, and has already been had a thousand times.

Chef De Cuisinart posted:

Sorry you don't like 3rd party delivery, but business is business. May as well turn away early birds and latecomers because of the inconveniences to you, and the arbitrary increase in work.

I would like to suggest a compromise position- tell me that Ubereats is affiliated with organized crime, citizen!

JawKnee
Mar 24, 2007

You'll take the ride to leave this town along that yellow line

Chef De Cuisinart posted:

:rolleyes:

so early/late guests have something in common, that they don't share with orders made through 3rd party delivery: they're bounded in how much/many you can accommodate by things like hours, and seats. Even in-house delivery has bounds that the house can control via how many drivers they employ which impacts wait times on delivery. 3rd party delivery - at least as I had to deal with it (we don't have Ubereats up here I think, but we have several others) - doesn't seem to operate within bounds that the business they're ordering through has much control over (unless the restaurant/bar/whatever chooses to just not make the order I suppose - but as you say, business is business, and I don't see any manager/owner turning down seemingly free money).

What this has to do with workers and their work is expectations - how much work can you expect to do each day, within a certain range. Start extending that range, without any idea of how far it's going to go, and yeah it starts to stress people out.

But sure, characterize what amounts to unremunerated work as an 'inconvenience' if it makes you feel better about it

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

When we first started UberEats, our delivery radius was WAY too big, to the point where we at one point threw out over 300 dollars in a SHIFT of food because we had no drivers.

rndmnmbr
Jul 3, 2012

JacquelineDempsey posted:

I swear on my mom's ashes if I catch that new fry cook texting in the middle of our brunch rush tomorrow I'mma throw that iPhone in the fryer

Seriously, this guy's only been here a week, and he's already bitching about when he gets a break, is looking at his phone constantly, and was whining like a total pussy because he bumped into a hot sheet pan. Fucker, I got burns all day long on top of my arthritic T-rex hands that are 20 years older than you, suck it up.

We make all out employees sign a form when hired, that in addition to all the usual "not allowed to have a phone on the premises, all calls for employees must go through the store phone yada yada yada", also included the line "Not responsible for theft, loss, or damage to your phone whether intentional or not", which technically gives me free reign to take their phone, rip the battery out, and snap it in two against the edge of the counter. It's supposed to be legally airtight too.

I've never had the balls to do it - no need to get vindictive, just confiscate and write them up, fire them if it happens a second time - but my boss claims to have baked a few employees a pizza with their phone embedded in the middle of it.

Oldsrocket_27 posted:

poo poo server

I get you're not a manager, but just freaking terminate and move along. Servers are a dime a dozen if they can make any kind of decent tips.

rndmnmbr fucked around with this message at 07:38 on Dec 3, 2017

Republicans
Oct 14, 2003

- More money for us

- Fuck you

If you gotta look at your phone at work be a professional and do it on the toilet.

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

Republicans posted:

If you gotta look at your phone at work be a professional and do it on the toilet.

BOSS MAKES A DOLLAR, I MAKE A DIME

THAT'S WHY I poo poo ON COMPANY TIME

pile of brown
Dec 31, 2004

JawKnee posted:

Apparently this needs to be spelled out to you but every single customer for someone who work in every hourly job means "arbitrary extra work" for them.

MAKE NO BABBYS
Jan 28, 2010

rndmnmbr posted:

We make all out employees sign a form when hired, that in addition to all the usual "not allowed to have a phone on the premises, all calls for employees must go through the store phone yada yada yada", also included the line "Not responsible for theft, loss, or damage to your phone whether intentional or not", which technically gives me free reign to take their phone, rip the battery out, and snap it in two against the edge of the counter. It's supposed to be legally airtight too.

I've never had the balls to do it - no need to get vindictive, just confiscate and write them up, fire them if it happens a second time - but my boss claims to have baked a few employees a pizza with their phone embedded in the middle

You, your boss and your company are all insanely out of touch and total assholes.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.
My issues with third party delivery is If we get too many of them it increases ticket times, leading to a worse experience for the guests who bothered to show up in person, and also interfering with the ability to flip tables, two things that can screw with my tips. So now I'm working harder for less money.

Also some of the drivers are loving dicks if the food isn't ready when they get here. I get that they're paid per trip, so they don't want to wait around, but being a dick to the expo isn't going to cook it quicker.

Malachite_Dragon
Mar 31, 2010

Weaving Merry Christmas magic

MAKE NO BABBYS posted:

You, your boss and your company are all insanely out of touch and total assholes.

Put your phone down and get back to work.

Willie Tomg
Feb 2, 2006

rndmnmbr posted:

I've never had the balls to do it - no need to get vindictive, just confiscate and write them up, fire them if it happens a second time - but my boss claims to have baked a few employees a pizza with their phone embedded in the middle of it.

And Then The Whole Theater Stood And Applauded

Field Mousepad
Mar 21, 2010
BAE
I sincerely hope you or one of your managers breaks someone's phone then gets their jaw broken.

Naelyan
Jul 21, 2007

Fun Shoe

JacquelineDempsey posted:

Guy sounds like a lovely employee, I hope you can get that resolved in a timely fashion.
*currently posting from laptop sitting at the bar "doing paperwork" in the middle of brunch service*
We're in the half hour break we usually get between 11:30 brunch and 1:30 brunch and also my kid in the back is good enough to do brunch by himself at this point so I don't actually need to be here, I am just in case poo poo goes down in a bad way. I've also already finished half of his prep list. I'm not actually a lovely manager.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SHVPS4DETH
Mar 19, 2009

seen so much i'm going blind
and i'm brain-dead virtually

Ramrod XTreme

Skwirl posted:

My issues with third party delivery is If we get too many of them it increases ticket times, leading to a worse experience for the guests who bothered to show up in person, and also interfering with the ability to flip tables, two things that can screw with my tips. So now I'm working harder for less money.

this. also when the FOH thinks it's okay for a to-go to tell US what time they want their food, and it's at 7:30 on a weekend. i get that they want more money coming in but when you let someone calling in a to-go have the same priority as in-house guests who have a res during peak business you are loving up.