Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Bass Bottles
Jan 14, 2006

BOSS BATTLES DID NOTHING WRONG
What do you lose when you die? XP and items since last checkpoint?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TurnipFritter
Apr 21, 2010
10,000 POSTS ON TALKING TIME

Just your gamer pride.

Leathal
Oct 29, 2004

wanna be like gucci?
lil buddy eat your vegetables

punk rebel ecks posted:

So is this game as good as the first so far?

Combat is better imo - but I miss Dunban and his BORN IN A WORLD OF STRIFE combo. Fusion combos are needlessly obtuse.

Story so far (up to Uraya) isnt as good as first half of XB1 but it's still interesting.

Side quests are better.

Voice acting is about the same minus in battle where it's kinda bad. Soundtrack is excellent.

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Hello? Can you hear me? ...Perhaps if I shout? AAAAAAAAAH!
I can't tell if it's because the voice direction is bad or some british thing, but Nia is awful and bored sounding.

punk rebel ecks
Dec 11, 2010

A shitty post? This calls for a dance of deduction.

Leathal posted:

Combat is better imo - but I miss Dunban and his BORN IN A WORLD OF STRIFE combo. Fusion combos are needlessly obtuse.

Story so far (up to Uraya) isnt as good as first half of XB1 but it's still interesting.

Side quests are better.

Voice acting is about the same minus in battle where it's kinda bad. Soundtrack is excellent.

Thanks. I'll ask again once people have beat the game.

Aerox
Jan 8, 2012
I got a rare blade out of my first four crystals, but it's Ursula, a Healer, and she got bonded to Rex, who I assume is primarily an attacker.

Is she worth using? Will there eventually be a way to swap her to an actual healer character later, or am I stuck with her on a suboptimal character? I'm not quite sure what I'm supposed to be doing with all these blades at this point and having to pick who they bond to before you even know what they are seems like an odd design choice.

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

> BEWARE, COWARD :ovr:

Aerox posted:

I got a rare blade out of my first four crystals, but it's Ursula, a Healer, and she got bonded to Rex, who I assume is primarily an attacker.

Is she worth using? Will there eventually be a way to swap her to an actual healer character later, or am I stuck with her on a suboptimal character? I'm not quite sure what I'm supposed to be doing with all these blades at this point and having to pick who they bond to before you even know what they are seems like an odd design choice.

At some point I found an item called an Overdrive, which lets you swap blades around. Once per Overdrive, I found out to my chagrin :(

Calaveron
Aug 7, 2006
:negative:
I have no idea how to get to Umon’s Shipyard through Greatspine Boundary. The marker points me downward but then I hit a lake and a wall and I can’t progress

Zoran
Aug 19, 2008

I lost to you once, monster. I shall not lose again! Die now, that our future can live!

Calaveron posted:

I have no idea how to get to Umon’s Shipyard through Greatspine Boundary. The marker points me downward but then I hit a lake and a wall and I can’t progress

You have to climb over the spine of the Titan and then back down. The compass marker is profoundly unhelpful for this. It needs to be low tide for you to get down the other side.

Motto
Aug 3, 2013

Aerox posted:

Everyone has a default role per their unique blade, but besides some presumable inclinations in their base stats, everyone can have any combination of atk/tank/healer blades. The class system makes me assume you're supposed to play around with roles a bit, so even if Rex starts out as an attacker, it can't hurt for him to he able to heal as well if things go south or if you swap out Nia later on.

funkymonks
Aug 31, 2004

Pillbug
There are pretty good audio options. You can turn the volume down on in battle voices if they are too annoying.

cathead
Jan 21, 2004

Aerox posted:

Yes, most of the healers have pretty decent damage arts anyway, and you can always swap arts around since on most healers there's usually a 4th damage art to replace the heal art with if you really want. Hell, I often keep the heal art in anyway (my Rex has Adenine in one slot) since some mobs can do so much damage it can be nice to have some extra heal potions. I wouldn't worry too much about min-maxing, especially early on, you're going to get a ton of blades over the course of the game and will have plenty of opportunity to change things up.

Leathal
Oct 29, 2004

wanna be like gucci?
lil buddy eat your vegetables

Calaveron posted:

This was a bitch for me too. Best hint I can give is stick to a northeast path and head upwards. If you see sleepy Gonzalez (or whatever his name is - high level sleeping monster) you're on the right track.

Lessail
Apr 1, 2011

:cry::cry:
tell me how vgk aren't playing like shit again
:cry::cry:
p.s. help my grapes are so sour!
Just got to uraya and combat in the wild is kind of a chore to where I'm either sneaking or rushing through the "encounters" now

8-bit Miniboss
May 24, 2005

CORPO COPS CAME FOR MY :filez:
19 hours in:

https://twitter.com/digitaldiatribe/status/937110136996294656

Axel Serenity
Sep 27, 2002
I got Juren after about ten crystals or so but she's bound to Nia

Give me Kos-Mos, Monolith

Caphi
Jan 6, 2012

INCREDIBLE

The fact that almost all the names are changed makes me even more confused about their choice of names to not change.

numerrik
Jul 15, 2009

Falcon Punch!

Guess who has two thumbs and just cracked open a kosmos. This guy.

Axel Serenity
Sep 27, 2002

numerrik posted:

Guess who has two thumbs and just cracked open a kosmos. This guy.

Congrats man! Pass the luck around :3:

Winding down Ch. 2 it seems. I really like that the characters aren't idiots. A lot of people though Rex would be some petty child or something from the previews, but he's actually really smart and understands things that are happening in his world? It's refreshing

ghostinmyshell
Sep 17, 2004

I am very particular about biscuits, I'll have you know.
I was in love with the first Xenoblade because there were these amazing QoL improvements to the RPG formula and with this it's a huge step back. The menus suck, the map system sucks, RNG is required to finish the subquests and main story. We've tossed out gear for a million types of collectables and crafting. Maybe after chapter three this gets better.

Slime
Jan 3, 2007

Tae posted:

I can't tell if it's because the voice direction is bad or some british thing, but Nia is awful and bored sounding.

That's just how welsh people sound. As someone who's used to it, she sounds fine to me.

Shadow Ninja 64
May 21, 2007

"I stood there, wondering why the puck was getting bigger...

and then it hit me."

I just made it to my nice new friend Tora. He's cool in my book already.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Slime posted:

That's just how welsh people sound. As someone who's used to it, she sounds fine to me.

My only complaint is they've overlaid a calmer personality onto what's clearly a more brash and over-acting character in japanese that doesn't quite mesh right in some scenes, but for 95% of the time her english dub version is great.

ThisIsACoolGuy
Nov 2, 2010

Shaped like a friend

I used a rare hypercube and got the coke bear and his friend: small child.

Rest has been garbo

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Hello? Can you hear me? ...Perhaps if I shout? AAAAAAAAAH!

Neddy Seagoon posted:

My only complaint is they've overlaid a calmer personality onto what's clearly a more brash and over-acting character in japanese that doesn't quite mesh right in some scenes, but for 95% of the time her english dub version is great.

That's my main problem. The voice direction reeks of blind recording, and they were given lines but not given much context (or the wrong context).

Warren
Aug 9, 2009

What the-
10 hours in and I got my first Rare blade, Perun. Downside, her affinity unlocks requires that you "Be kind to the townsfolk and do a few small good deeds". Somehow I have 1/3, and I have no idea what that actually means, Side quests don't count, haven't tried actually getting deeds yet because I can't get one outside of the single sidequest I could find, and based on some googling deeds don't actually progress the quest. Fun game thus far, but what in the holy hell am I supposed to do?

DACK FAYDEN
Feb 25, 2013

Bear Witness
Is there a list of what's safe to sell? The stuff that is used in salvage bundles is obvious to keep and bundle but I mean sidequest stuff. I want (but don't urgently need) cash and also I suck at salvaging so I have to pay a dude cause I can't find a Chain of Keys :shobon:

e: oh nice found one but question stands

DACK FAYDEN fucked around with this message at 01:58 on Dec 3, 2017

Over There
Jun 28, 2013

by Azathoth
gently caress am I just bad?

Im still kinda in the beginning around lvl 7/8 and everything is killing me except enemies a couple levels below me. I'm the only party member at the moment but anything above a lvl. 6 kicks my rear end every time.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Tae posted:

That's my main problem. The voice direction reeks of blind recording, and they were given lines but not given much context (or the wrong context).

I'd definitely agree with that. Most of the dub is rock-solid, but there's a few scenes where people really needed better direction for screaming or just being more aggressive.

Momomo
Dec 26, 2009

Dont judge me, I design your manhole
So I just finished chapter 1 with the first big battle. This game kicks rear end.

I'm not entirely sure why Pyra doesn't just go to Elysium her own drat self though since she seems way more adept at fighting than the guy that got the sword five minutes ago though. At least Rex immediately too the opportunity to get some revenge on the rear end in a top hat that stabbed him in the back, instead of waiting for them to leave like I figured they would. Rex has a good sense of initiative.

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

> BEWARE, COWARD :ovr:

Over There posted:

Im still kinda in the beginning around lvl 7/8 and everything is killing me except enemies a couple levels below me. I'm the only party member at the moment but anything above a lvl. 6 kicks my rear end every time.

The times before you can have a tank character suck rear end, just press on with the story

Momomo
Dec 26, 2009

Dont judge me, I design your manhole
Is it alright to just use core chips? It sounds like the weapon permanently changes and I can't change it back, so should I be waiting for something before I use it?

8-bit Miniboss
May 24, 2005

CORPO COPS CAME FOR MY :filez:

Momomo posted:

Is it alright to just use core chips? It sounds like the weapon permanently changes and I can't change it back, so should I be waiting for something before I use it?

I use them when I get them and if they supplement the class of Blade well.

https://twitter.com/digitaldiatribe/status/937079555512180737

https://twitter.com/digitaldiatribe/status/937080525029720064

As you can, see I had a choice, but the better choice in my opinion was giving the chip to Poppi because that's my current tank.

Axel Serenity
Sep 27, 2002

Momomo posted:

So I just finished chapter 1 with the first big battle. This game kicks rear end.

I'm not entirely sure why Pyra doesn't just go to Elysium her own drat self though since she seems way more adept at fighting than the guy that got the sword five minutes ago though. At least Rex immediately too the opportunity to get some revenge on the rear end in a top hat that stabbed him in the back, instead of waiting for them to leave like I figured they would. Rex has a good sense of initiative.

Without spoiling anything, you get to see Rex fight more later on, and they make it pretty clear that while he's not an expert, he's really good at holding his own and coming up with strategy. I dare say he's the well-rounded anime protagonist unicorn.

numerrik
Jul 15, 2009

Falcon Punch!

So when I want to buy a deed, do I just need to buy everything once through the entire play through or all at the same time?

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

numerrik posted:

So when I want to buy a deed, do I just need to buy everything once through the entire play through or all at the same time?

Entire playthrough.

Hand Row
May 28, 2001

Over There posted:

Random loot can be a huge boon. Make sure you also check item drops you already use as some can be of better quality with higher values despite same name.

Early on I found a chip that increased my damage big time, plus a vest that gave me 300 hp. Made a big difference.

DACK FAYDEN
Feb 25, 2013

Bear Witness

Neddy Seagoon posted:

Entire playthrough.
Is there a list of when deeds become available? Since I know it can be gated behind both town level and plot.

(but even the first trash deed from the quest was AUTO PICKUP RADIUS UP which was the number one thing I wanted most out of life)

Calaveron
Aug 7, 2006
:negative:
So that boss battle when getting to Uraya was just a cacophony and made the switch docked chug

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

katkillad2
Aug 30, 2004

Awake and unreal, off to nowhere
Maybe a spoiler'ish question, I don't know. The first time I took a long rest to get the tides right for the main quest line, one of my party members mentioned wanting to go to the forgotten wastes. Does anyone know where that is on the map?