Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Milkfred E. Moore
Aug 27, 2006

'It's easier to imagine the end of the world than the end of capitalism.'

Milky Moor posted:

GARY OLDMAN: Attention Second Fleet. This is Admiral Bishop. For six months now, we have faced an illusive enemy determined to see the Empire burn... and every human with it. There have been battles. There have been losses. Each and every one of you has proven yourself time and again but today I must ask for more. [Pause] Today, we fight one last battle. [pause] Advance recon indicates the entire Vanduul fleet has just entered the system. This means [disgruntled sigh] a Kingship is headed our way. [pause] Now some of you will not survive today. [pause] But there will be no time for sorrow. We will have to grieve for them later. Because two million souls in this system hang in the balance. There should be no illusions about what we are up against! In the history of the UEE, a Kingship has entered human space a handful of times. Battle of Orion. Siege of Tyler. The Fall of Caliban. But we are Second Fleet! History will remember us differently. We will not have to worry about it being kind because today we will define ourselves through our actions. [pause] We will not lose this system! We will not fall back! We will win! Because we have to. We fight today! So in forty years from now, when you are surrounded by everyone and everything you hold dear, and they ask what did you do [someone coughs in the background] in the Battle of Vega? You can look 'em in the eye and say: [pause] I held the line. Men and women of the Second Fleet, I am proud to stand with you today. Good luck! Bishop out.

Seriously, what the gently caress is this? From the plot leak, isn't this something that happens during the 'prequel'? This is horrible stuff, beyond the fact that it's paint by numbers generic.

"There have been battles?" No poo poo, it's a war. Same with "there have been losses". Good battles or bad battles? Expected losses or disastrous ones? Who is winning the war?

"One last battle?" How, why?

"The entire Vanduul fleet?" If so, why aren't UEE forces striking at exposed Vanduul weak spots? What's the strategic plot of this war?

"Two million souls" in classic sci-fi numerical issues, that's not even the population of Melbourne -- in a whole solar system!

"There should be no illusions about what we are up against! In the history of the UEE, a Kingship has entered human space a handful of times." What's a Kingship and what makes it scary? I can infer that it's some kind of Vanduul flagship but why are they so rare? More importantly, someone like Bishop should know how many times exactly a Kingship has entered human space. 'A Kingship has entered human space only six times' -- doesn't that sound better?

If they're holding the line, how long are they holding it for? Are there any reinforcements coming? Again, what's the strategic landscape!

About a month ago, I passed some writing work to a friend of mine who gave me some of the best advice and feedback I've gotten: be specific. This goes especially for characters who should know their stuff. Admiral Bishop should know his stuff!

Milkfred E. Moore fucked around with this message at 04:55 on Dec 3, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Solarin
Nov 15, 2007

D_Smart posted:

He's right. I have always been that way. And I've done it many times over the years. The one that paid off the most, was bankrupting two morons who were absolutely convinced that my Ph.D was from a diploma mill. Despite the fact that I had warned them for years that if they ever forced my hand, that they would find out the hard way. Then when we got sued over Alganon, they tried to play the card to attack me in filings and impugn my character in order to gain an advantage. At the point, I had no choice. I sued them both. Immediately, and while the other case was still in discovery. They didn't even make it past the declaration filing before folding. Right there, it was all over; including the bullshit Alganon lawsuits.

If anyone ever wonders why, with all his attacks, Ortwin and Chris never dared to go there, now you know.

ps: When I say that I'm going to see Chris Roberts go to jail if he doesn't deliver this game, trust me, I will do it.

:piss:

good news derek 3.0 is the game, you don't need to make weird veiled threats about him not delivering

Thoatse
Feb 29, 2016

Lol said the scorpion, lmao

Golli
Jan 5, 2013

Milky Moor posted:

Seriously, what the gently caress is this? From the plot leak, isn't this something that happens during the 'prequel'? This is horrible stuff, beyond the fact that it's paint by numbers generic.

"There have been battles?" No poo poo, it's a war. Same with "there have been losses". Good battles or bad battles? Expected losses or disastrous ones? Who is winning the war?

"The entire Vanduul fleet?" If so, why aren't UEE forces striking at exposed Vanduul weak spots? What's the strategic plot of this war?

"Two million souls" in classic sci-fi numerical issues, that's not even the population of Melbourne -- in a whole solar system!

"There should be no illusions about what we are up against! In the history of the UEE, a Kingship has entered human space a handful of times." What's a Kingship and what makes it scary? I can infer that it's some kind of Vanduul flagship but why are they so rare? More importantly, someone like Bishop should know how many times exactly a Kingship has entered human space. 'A Kingship has entered human space only six times' -- doesn't that sound better?

If they're holding the line, how long are they holding it for? Are there any reinforcements coming? Again, what's the strategic landscape!

About a month ago, I passed some writing work to a friend of mine who gave me some of the best advice and feedback I've gotten: be specific. This goes especially for characters who should know their stuff. Admiral Bishop should know his stuff!

NPCs don't have souls, so that brings the total to 20 million. Everyone else in the system already died.

Wise Learned Man
Apr 22, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Lipstick Apathy

Saw posted:

I seem to recall that at one point he claimed that capitol ships captains would control other ships during massive battles using RTS style game mechanics - or was that some weird drunken dream I had?

Not a dream:

I don't know if it was ever spoken of again, though I have a vague memory of concept art of little 3D models of a fleet being manipulated by a captain on the brige of a Bengal. I'm confident that CIG has been working really hard on this feature though!

trucutru
Jul 9, 2003

by Fluffdaddy

Milky Moor posted:

While the cultists are adamant that all the incredible progress they have done on SQ42 has not been released because "spoilers", the truth is that the plot of SQ42 has already been leaked... by CR himself.

The vanduul find a new wormhole that allows them to jump directly into the heart of the empire, bypassing all the the defenses, so the SQUADRON 42 is the only thing between them and the annihilation on most human lives.

And the kingship is a 6-km-long ship that holds the king of the vanduul, which is why it's so scary.

It looks like a xenomorph's penis, and has a bent bayonet at the end because all vanduul ships have bayonets, in space.

trucutru fucked around with this message at 05:03 on Dec 3, 2017

happyhippy
Feb 21, 2005

Playing games, watching movies, owning goons. 'sup
Pillbug

Saw posted:

I'M CALLING IT
you'll be able to pledge for buildings with turrets that will protect your precious land from the evil Vangoons

But who will man the towers and shoot the evil ones shouting Allah Smartbar?
Sell AI cops, mercs, soldiers for your land. Thats who.

Dusty Lens
Jul 1, 2015

All Glory unto the Stimpire. Give up your arms and legs and embrace the beautiful agony of electricity that doubles in pain every second.

I'm as surprised as anyone else to see that the plot to Sq42 is the plot to the Wing Commander movie.

Milkfred E. Moore
Aug 27, 2006

trucutru posted:

While the cultists are adamant that all the incredible progress they have done on SQ42 has not been released because "spoilers", the truth is that the plot of SQ42 has already been leaked... by CR himself.

The vanduul find a new wormhole that allows them to jump directly into the heart of the empire, bypassing all the the defenses, so the SQUADRON 42 is the only thing between them and the annihilation on most human lives.

And the kingship is a 6-km-long ship that holds the king of the vanduul, which is why it's so scary.

It looks like a xenomorph's penis, and has a bent bayonet at the end because all vanduul ships have bayonets, in space.

That makes Bishop's weird warning only that much weirder. Just nuke the drat thing.

Bishop doesn't seem at all concerned by this sudden, surprise attack! This writing sucks!

trucutru
Jul 9, 2003

by Fluffdaddy

Dusty Lens posted:

I'm as surprised as anyone else to see that the plot to Sq42 is the plot to the Wing Commander movie.

From the official lore.

quote:

The First Step Back

There was silence after the first Vanduul attack in 2681. Once the UEE figured out that they were dealing with an entirely new species, Humanity braced itself for… something. Though the military prepared for the possibility of diplomatic contact, the brutality of the attack on the Dell Township strongly indicated that second contact would most likely be violent as well. But for weeks, while a fighting force of UEE Navy and Marines waited, nothing happened.

When the Vanduul did return, it was a small raiding party consisting of a dozen fighters and Harvester ships. Despite the overwhelming defense force that was waiting for them, the Vanduul attacked without hesitation. This was the UEE military’s first introduction to the Vanduul.

Over the next few years, as the UEE tried to learn about this new civilization, vague hierarchal details were beginning to come into focus. Dr. Arlow Gellis, a renowned anthropologist of the time, released a study exploring Vanduul social dynamics. By comparing the prominent glyphs on the Vanduul ships, he introduced what became known as Clan Theory, in which he hypothesized that the Vanduul organized themselves in self-sufficient groups rather than adopting a species-wide government. As interaction with the Vanduul settled into a prolonged series of light skirmishes, Gellis’s theory became more and more accepted, and a sense developed across the Empire that neither diplomacy nor outright war was at all likely.

By all accounts, Imperator Illyana Messer VI and her military weren’t fazed by this development. If anything, the Imperator found the sporadic attacks in Orion to be a convenient tool to help remind the populace why they needed the Imperator’s protection.

When Messer VI named her youngest son, Samuel, as her successor in 2697, the new Imperator took the Vanduul threat even less seriously and seemed to be much more interested in using his newfound power to torment an already subjugated population into further submission.

In the early years of the 28th century, the personality of Orion system changed as well. Armitage became a waystation for soldiers, mercs and pilots looking for a chance to test their mettle against this elusive enemy. Stores began accepting Vanduul tech (and in the more extreme locations: Vanduul corpses) as trade to feed the growing bloodlust of the planet. Records from the era even indicate that hunting parties were organized to go look for Vanduul prey.

This overconfidence was about to be put in its place.

“Bit chilly tonight, guess winter’s not quite done with us. Water farms are cycling down for the night, but I’m gonna keep them in a low run just in case the temp drops. What else … I think Maura’s getting sick, so we’ll probably trek out to Conrad tomorrow and see the doc. I think that’s it. I know you’re probably hoping that this was gonna be that forgiveness comm, but it’s not. I’m not there yet.”

Stamped at 2712-02-16_18:38, that was one of the last civilian comms that left Armitage before a Vanduul fleet invaded the system. The attack force was larger than anything the population had ever seen. Capital ship after capital ship appeared in Orion and unleashed its devastating weapons on the locals.

The Battle of Orion had begun.

The UEE Navy scrambled to mount a defense, but the carrier normally posted to the system had tasked to Caliban to make an example of a growing political activist movement, leaving three destroyers and several frigates to handle the onslaught. The locals banded together with the military while scouts raced back to to alert the fleet.

Battle lines fluctuated for three days on and around the planet of Armitage as support rushed in to help. Despite suffering heavy losses during the initial attack, the Navy had begun to push the Vanduul back toward the jump point while Marines were battling over every scrap of territory on the planet surface.

That’s when the UEE caught its first glimpse of what would become known as a Kingship. Nearly three thousand meters in length, the alien ship dwarfed all of the remaining Naval ships combined. The ships of Humanity’s front line, emboldened at the prospect of victory, were too close to avert their course and were decimated in the Kingship’s first attack.

What transpired after that has been historically described as a slaughter. The remaining Naval forces fled the system to Tiber in the hopes of creating some kind of barricade to stop the Vanduul advance and abandoning the people of Armitage to the Vanduul in the process.

The Vanduul had no interest in pursuit. The Kingship stayed in the system for almost a year as they harvested what they needed from the planets before the Clan disappeared back into Vanduul space.

The Messers had suffered their first decisive military defeat in over a hundred fifty years. News of this defeat and this unstoppable terror at the fringe of the universe terrified the population. Everyone seemed to be asking: was it only a matter of time before the Vanduul pushed further into Human space?

Unfortunately, the answer was yes.

quote:

humanity braced itself for… something

:lol:

Seems like it has gone for 3 to 6 km, so it's twice as powerful nowadays.

Virtual Captain
Feb 20, 2017

Archive Priest of the Stimperial Order

Star Citizen Good, in all things forevermore. Amen.
:pray:

Wise Learned Man posted:

Not a dream:

I don't know if it was ever spoken of again, though I have a vague memory of concept art of little 3D models of a fleet being manipulated by a captain on the brige of a Bengal. I'm confident that CIG has been working really hard on this feature though!

"Command and Control Center" on the tracker links to these three youtube videos but decyphering a simple answer out of Chris has always been pretty difficult for me.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PCG4dZ1mYRw&t=248s
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JMkePHE94-I&t=1031s
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-y0GQV_Bx4U&t=170s

D_Smart posted:

ps: When I say that I'm going to see Chris Roberts go to jail if he doesn't deliver this game, trust me, I will do it.
:eyepop:

Virtual Captain fucked around with this message at 05:12 on Dec 3, 2017

Foo Diddley
Oct 29, 2011

cat

trucutru posted:

Wonder how many polygons that sucker's made of

Should be no problem getting it into the game

Dusty Lens
Jul 1, 2015

All Glory unto the Stimpire. Give up your arms and legs and embrace the beautiful agony of electricity that doubles in pain every second.

How many polygons are there in in a concept art jpg.

Golli
Jan 5, 2013

trucutru posted:

Is that how the Vanduul lay their eggs in the wormhole?

Sarsapariller
Aug 14, 2015

Occasional vampire queen

Quavers posted:

Also from Reddit:

Sorry, I didn't see this earlier. Thanks for digging it up. Looks like everything from 2012 is almost flyable, pending another rework! And the stuff from 2013 is almost in the game!

Heck, I don't think a 4-year sale-to-release timeline is bad at all. I'd be glad to spend 800 bucks on today's ships knowing I'll see them some time in 2021.

Rugganovich
Apr 29, 2017

notoriousman posted:

Bugs Bunny's nemesis and comedic foil from the esteemed Looney Tunes.

From the deep dark depths of 2 days ago.
:golfclap:

Dusty Lens
Jul 1, 2015

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UXLVFnl3WcE

True hero

Milkfred E. Moore
Aug 27, 2006

For example, here's an example of 'Admiral talking to his people' early-game speech.

quote:

This is Admiral Byrne. Give me your ears.

I will be plain with you. The rumors you have heard are correct. After an eighteen-month stand, Jupiter has fallen to the GTVA. The Jovian Systems Republic issued an unconditional surrender at 2330. Admiral Calder's Third Fleet has been routed. Alliance marines are now landing on Ganymede. The Jovian government, under threat of orbital bombardment, has agreed to cooperate. The details of the Fall of Jupiter are available for your inspection on FleetNet.

For now, know this. The GTVA has committed to total war.

At 0330 yesterday the front-line destroyers Atreus and Imperieuse, under Admiral Chiwetel Steele, transited the Delta Serpentis node. These ships and their battle groups carried out the attack on Jupiter at 0700. Steele himself personally captured Artemis Station, before scorched-earth protocols could be enacted. By capturing Jupiter's gate network and civilian infrastructure intact, Steele has accomplished what Admiral Cyrus Severanti could not: he has given the GTVA the logistical footing for full-scale war.

I ask all of you to trust in the strategy set out by the Council of Elders. We will maintain our defensive posture until a diplomatic solution to the war can be achieved.

We have a more immediate task, however. Third Fleet's survivors need our help. At 2335, Fleet Admiral Calder issued the order for a full-scale retreat to Mars. Warships and strike craft from the Imperieuse and Atreus battle groups are pursuing these survivors, as well as any civilian convoys that have refused the no-fly order. As Second Fleet Mars fends off raids from the Hood, Carthage, and Meridian, I will deploy our squadrons to cover the retreat of civilians and Third Fleet from Jupiter space. Flight operations commence immediately.

Remember this. The GTVA wants our worlds and our infrastructure intact. They hope to break our fighting spirit, or to draw us into a foolish offensive.

We will remain implacable and unmoved, and so stymie them. Ubuntu gives us that strength.

Admiral Byrne seems like someone who knows his poo poo. Admiral Bishop does not. One of these quotes comes from a fan game, the other from an overpaid 'game'.

Wise Learned Man
Apr 22, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Lipstick Apathy

Virtual Captain posted:

"Command and Control Center" on the tracker links to these three youtube videos but decyphering a simple answer out of Chris has always been pretty difficult for me.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PCG4dZ1mYRw&t=248s
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JMkePHE94-I&t=1031s
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-y0GQV_Bx4U&t=170s

:eyepop:

Pfffffft, a useful archive? You're no Derek Smart subreddit.

Virtual Captain
Feb 20, 2017

Archive Priest of the Stimperial Order

Star Citizen Good, in all things forevermore. Amen.
:pray:

Wise Learned Man posted:

Pfffffft, a useful archive? You're no Derek Smart subreddit.

:negative:

Milkfred E. Moore
Aug 27, 2006

Or, because of the 'hold the line' reference, the speech prior to Babylon 5's Battle of the Line.

quote:

Are we on? This is... this is the President.

I have just been informed that the midrange military bases at Beta Durani and Proxima 3 have fallen to the Minbari advance. We've lost contact with Io and must conclude that they too have fallen to an advance force. Our Military Intelligence believes that the Minbari intend to bypass Mars and hit Earth directly and the attack could come at any time. We have continued to broadcast our surrender and a plea for mercy and they have not responded. Therefore we can only conclude that we stand at the twilight of the human race.

In order to buy time for our evacuation transports to leave Earth, we ask for the support of every ship capable of fighting to take part in a last defense of our homeworld. We will not lie to you, we do not believe that survival is a possibility. We believe that anyone who joins this battle will never come home. But for every ten minutes we can delay the military advance, several hundred more civilians may have a chance to escape to neutral territory. Though Earth may fall, the human race must have a chance to continue elsewhere. No greater sacrifice has ever been asked of a people. But I ask you now to step forward one last time, one last battle to hold the line against the night.

May God go with you all.

Thoatse
Feb 29, 2016

Lol said the scorpion, lmao

Dusty Lens posted:

How many polygons are there in in a concept art jpg.

All of them

Spiderdrake
May 12, 2001

Dusty Lens posted:

I'm as surprised as anyone else to see that the plot to not game S Que Forty Two done by not writer Chris Roberts is not especially good.

Scruffpuff
Dec 23, 2015

Fidelity. Wait, was I'm working on again?

trucutru posted:

Certainly not a new plot by a long shot. And it's got a pet-peeve of mine from way back - which is, yet again, the complete and utter lack of comprehension about how loving big space is. Even Khan had trouble thinking that way, to his demise. Where exactly are these "defenses" if there's a wormhole that can take you past them?

If Earth is the target, and you place ships 1 million kilometers in all 6 directions, you still have loving gigantic gaps between them. What about when they're 1 billion km out? How about 1 light-year? How do you create a "perimeter" in the 6 axes of space?

The people who write these stories always reference Earth warfare tactics, with flat plains and relatively small areas, and defined natural terrain that creates chokepoints and makes things like supply routes possible. The better ones mimic submarine battles, which is a bit closer because it adds the vertical axis, but still is absurdly inadequate to account for the vastness of space - infinity in every possible direction.

There is no version of this where any enemy would need a wormhole to jump past "defenses." Until you're practically right on top of Earth itself, there's near infinite space to go around any "obstacles." This is a side-effect of the Millenium Falcon asteroid field. In real asteroid fields they're all so loving far apart it would take a miracle to even see one, much less collide with it.

Dusty Lens
Jul 1, 2015

Milky Moor posted:

Or, because of the 'hold the line' reference, the speech prior to Babylon 5's Battle of the Line.

This was the real deal.

HycoCam
Jul 14, 2016

You should have backed Transverse!

Beet Wagon posted:

I'm drinking tequila and coke right now and boy howdy gosh dangit i wish I had remembered limes and different mixers, AMA Except Why Don't You Have Limes.

AMAEWDYHL
When you run out of limes, my recommendation is Tabasco. Any hot sauce will probably do--just a few drops per shot and you're set!

HycoCam
Jul 14, 2016

Gamesguy posted:

This whole land claim idea just seems like a desperate cash grab. SC is supposed to have many different servers with a relatively low(100?) server pop cap rather than everyone on one server ala Eve Online right? How the hell do you own land when people can just start their own server? What is even the point?

Hint: there will never be any game mechanic for "owning" land in Star Citizen.

Sarsapariller
Aug 14, 2015

Occasional vampire queen

Milky Moor posted:

Well at least the final part of it is a direct ripoff of the St. Crispin's Day speech from Henry V.

Dogeh posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r7BvXGOk26Y

I recommend that you play the video with the sound down.

An excellent comparison. I wish he hadn't had to time-accel the landings because they are even more jank. All the people crowing about how stable the game is- this is what they're actually playing.

HycoCam
Jul 14, 2016

VictorianQueerLit posted:

This thread is to mock the disaster that is Star Citizen and the crazy people that are related to it. If the crazy people find their way here and want to scream about how everything, including these forums, is all about them and will always be about them that's fine but don't join them. It makes you look desperate for approval or just as crazy as he is.
How does this thread deliver day in and day out--that is some funny projection crap right there!

Sarsapariller
Aug 14, 2015

Occasional vampire queen

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fxOpYMW1k0A

trucutru
Jul 9, 2003

by Fluffdaddy

Milky Moor posted:

That president seems cool, but this president from goddamn Metal Wolf Chaos, a parody game, is also better written than the SQ42 thing:

quote:

Michael Wilson: My fellow Americans, good morning. As Americans, we love freedom. But true freedom isn't a given, like the air we breathe, or the water we drink. About 240 years ago, our forefathers fought bravely, giving their blood, sweat, and tears. And in the end, they won our freedom. And we must never forget this. If anything appears that threatens our belief in this freedom, we will oppose it. We will crush it. In fighting to gain our freedom we need no reasons. We require no just cause, or flowery words. In order to protect our neighbors who love freedom, and this faith in freedom, we continue to believe in our own justice. We won't abandon any battles. And the reason is...because we are ALL citizens of the United States of America! And as long as you all will allow it, I will be a vanguard leading this fight. And the reason is...because I'M THE PRESIDENT OF THIS GREAT UNITED STATES OF AMERICA!

Scruffpuff
Dec 23, 2015

HycoCam posted:

Hint: there will never be any game mechanic for "owning" land in Star Citizen.

Has anyone compiled a list yet of any features that CIG has promised that are actually completely contradictory? This sounds like a good start. You can own land, but the game will have separate instances. So are all the instances copies of each other? If so, there will be "reserved" land on instances the owner never touches, basically blocking that part off from the people playing on it. If the instances are all separate, ownership means nothing.

Owning land only works if there's only one universe to own it in. That's not happening.

HycoCam
Jul 14, 2016

TheAgent posted:

in this new world where you can pass a tax bill that fucks over 90% of americans and decry it a victory, star citizen makes a lot more sense

luckily the virus I'm working on will kill every human in this world, letting the dolphins finally ascend to their rightful place as this worlds intelligent and benevolent custodians
You do know the fish currently run everything, right? It was the fish that killed off the dinosaurs because the dinosaurs sucked at taking care of fish tanks.

trucutru
Jul 9, 2003

by Fluffdaddy

Scruffpuff posted:

Certainly not a new plot by a long shot. And it's got a pet-peeve of mine from way back - which is, yet again, the complete and utter lack of comprehension about how loving big space is. Even Khan had trouble thinking that way, to his demise. Where exactly are these "defenses" if there's a wormhole that can take you past them?

If Earth is the target, and you place ships 1 million kilometers in all 6 directions, you still have loving gigantic gaps between them. What about when they're 1 billion km out? How about 1 light-year? How do you create a "perimeter" in the 6 axes of space?

The people who write these stories always reference Earth warfare tactics, with flat plains and relatively small areas, and defined natural terrain that creates chokepoints and makes things like supply routes possible. The better ones mimic submarine battles, which is a bit closer because it adds the vertical axis, but still is absurdly inadequate to account for the vastness of space - infinity in every possible direction.

There is no version of this where any enemy would need a wormhole to jump past "defenses." Until you're practically right on top of Earth itself, there's near infinite space to go around any "obstacles." This is a side-effect of the Millenium Falcon asteroid field. In real asteroid fields they're all so loving far apart it would take a miracle to even see one, much less collide with it.

I don't want to defend them but there is no faster than light travel in their universe outside of wormholes. So the only way to reach earth is by using them and, until then, nobody knew about that new one.

Golli
Jan 5, 2013

Don't forget President Camacho:

President Camacho - Idiocracy posted:

poo poo. I know poo poo's bad right now, with all that starving bullshit, and the dust storms, and we are running out of french fries and burrito coverings. But I got a solution.

Beet Wagon
Oct 19, 2015

HycoCam posted:

When you run out of limes, my recommendation is Tabasco. Any hot sauce will probably do--just a few drops per shot and you're set!

pictured: an internet picture of the only hot sauce I have on hand

I'll try anything once, though.

Beer4TheBeerGod
Aug 23, 2004
Exciting Lemon
I miss anything over the last 400 posts or so?

Spiderdrake
May 12, 2001

trucutru posted:

I don't want to defend them but there is no faster than light travel in their universe outside of wormholes. So the only way to reach earth is by using them and, until then, nobody knew about that new one.
Are all systems connected by jump points? That's the usual, easiest way to make for a more "earth like" system of combat, yeah

Scruffpuff
Dec 23, 2015

trucutru posted:

If the only way of reaching Earth is by wormholes, where were their defenses? Clustered around the closest known one? I'll buy that, but it just creates more questions. It implies that wormholes are not super easy to detect, or we'd already know about the "new" one. So why would we assume there aren't even more wormholes scattered around that we hadn't found yet? Wouldn't we be smart enough to account for that possibility, rather than being so blindsided by it that it creates an instant crisis?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Milkfred E. Moore
Aug 27, 2006

Scruffpuff posted:

Pretty sure that, much like Wing Commander before it, SC uses jump points between systems.

efb