Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

numerrik
Jul 15, 2009

Falcon Punch!

katkillad2 posted:

Maybe a spoiler'ish question, I don't know. The first time I took a long rest to get the tides right for the main quest line, one of my party members mentioned wanting to go to the forgotten wastes. Does anyone know where that is on the map?

The under area of that titan which is flooded when tide is high iirc

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

8-bit Miniboss
May 24, 2005

CORPO COPS CAME FOR MY :filez:
It's so satisfying to melt a named monster with chain attacks and elemental bursts, holy cow.

BrightWing
Apr 27, 2012

Yes, he is quite mad.
Ill admit that glancing at pre release footage had me worried about the combat being slower (dulller) than the others but once it gets going and gives you more tools it settles into its own groove nicely.

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

> BEWARE, COWARD :ovr:

8-bit Miniboss posted:

It's so satisfying to melt a named monster with chain attacks and elemental bursts, holy cow.

Yeah I feel a lot better about this game when I'm trying to beat up on a boss or unique, but garbage trash feels awful to fight

8-Bit Scholar
Jan 23, 2016

by FactsAreUseless
The second Titan is just my favorite area so far, maybe my favorite area in a game, just pure aesthetics-wise. It's incredible.

chumbler
Mar 28, 2010

BrightWing posted:

Ill admit that glancing at pre release footage had me worried about the combat being slower (dulller) than the others but once it gets going and gives you more tools it settles into its own groove nicely.

I guess this isn't an issue in the actual release, but one of the previews just kind of hangs on the start of a chain attack for like 20 seconds. Was it a performance issue or just not inputting commands or something? 3:38 if it doesn't go to the correct time.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QesNU8CkW2A&t=218s

Calaveron
Aug 7, 2006
:negative:
What’s a driver combo
And why come it’s so hard to make a blade combo. In so many hours I’ve played I’ve only ever pulled a Steam Explosion once. I know it’s about building up the A button arte on all the characters but the AI can’t figure it out I think

EDIT: Also my first rare blade was the SMT marionette with the gun, from a common core math crystal
Also I don’t understand what boosters are?

8-Bit Scholar
Jan 23, 2016

by FactsAreUseless
I also don't know what boosters do. Do they impact the base stats or something?

Cao Ni Ma
May 25, 2010

Think you can take me think you can take me think you can take me think you can take me

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Calaveron posted:

What’s a driver combo
And why come it’s so hard to make a blade combo. In so many hours I’ve played I’ve only ever pulled a Steam Explosion once. I know it’s about building up the A button arte on all the characters but the AI can’t figure it out I think

EDIT: Also my first rare blade was the SMT marionette with the gun, from a common core math crystal
Also I don’t understand what boosters are?

That AI's generally pretty decent about pulling their Special Artes, you just need to give them time to actually build theirs up. And make sure you have elements that people can step through to get there. Hoping (or Overdriving) a fire-type Blade onto Nia's a good move, as you can three-stack fire between her and Rex, or just have better variety in starting from Earth with Tora.

8-Bit Scholar
Jan 23, 2016

by FactsAreUseless
Woah, I got a random unique Blade and there's an entire cutscene and sidequest that got added to an old area that I just triggered. That's neat.

BrightWing
Apr 27, 2012

Yes, he is quite mad.

chumbler posted:

I guess this isn't an issue in the actual release, but one of the previews just kind of hangs on the start of a chain attack for like 20 seconds. Was it a performance issue or just not inputting commands or something? 3:38 if it doesn't go to the correct time.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QesNU8CkW2A&t=218s

Looks like they just took forever to make the decision for which Blade to use for the chain attack. I mean, it might have been performance but I havent noticed anything like this myself so :shrug:

Ethiser
Dec 31, 2011

8-Bit Scholar posted:

I also don't know what boosters do. Do they impact the base stats or something?

I assumed they were used to try and get Blades of certain elements. When you pick them on the Blade creation screen they each have two different elements around them.

Leathal
Oct 29, 2004

wanna be like gucci?
lil buddy eat your vegetables

Calaveron posted:

What’s a driver combo

Basically a chain of arts that gets increasingly powerful as you move down it.

Break into Topple into Launch into Smash is the full combo.

Once you get rad Aussie you pretty much pull off the first three parts by default in every fight if you run him, Rex, and Nia.

Tyma
Dec 22, 2004

I love Leinster and I couldn't be happier that Jordie Barrett has signed with them on a short term deal.
A Super Quick Guide To Big Numbers

There are 14 types of weapon, and each type has it's own auto-attack animation and timing. Each Weapon type has a total of 4 Arts, and you can select which 3 of them are active on the “Enhance Arts” menu.

Landing an auto attack builds up a tiny bit of Meter on all 3 arts, and also the Special Art. When an Art's meter is full, you can cast it. Casting an art in the middle of an attack animation will award a larger amount a larger amount of meter than the auto-attack normally would (this is known in-game as “cancelling an auto-attack”). Casting it during the 'final' attack of the animation cycle will award even more meter again.

-

Driver Combos

Your A button is always Special Art, and inflicts damage based on the element of your weapon. You can activate it as soon as it fills to launch a Level 1 Special Art, or let it continue to build through to Level 3. Once it maxes out at Level 3, the Special meter stops charging, and can only reach Level 4 by standing close enough to your Blade that the umbilical chord connecting you begins to glow.

In Xenoblade 2, BIG NUMBERS are achieved by performing Special Arts in sequence, to create a Driver Combo. If you play as Rex, equip Pyra, and cast a Level 1 Special art. Rex will cast a Fire-based Special Art (called Heat), and begin the combo. You should now see a little table appear in the top right of the screen : The table shows the four possible Driver Combos that the party can now complete.

#1 : Fire – Fire – Fire (Seal Self Destruct)
#2 : Fire – Fire – Earth (Seal Affinity Down)
#3 : Fire – Water – Fire (Seal Self Destruct)
#4 : Fire – Water – Ice (Seal Shackle Blade)

Assuming you have Mia in your party, and few Blades to choose from, Combo #3 is the easiest one to aim for. To pull off this combo, we need to begin with a Fire-based Special Art (which we've done), and follow it up for a Level 2 Special Art (Water), and finish with a Level 3 Special Art (Fire). You'll also see a bar appear in the not right, with the name of the Special Art (in this case, Heat) appearing on it. This bar represents the amount of time you have to cast the next Special Art in the combo.

Assuming Mia has her default Blade equipped, her Avatar will pop up in the middle of the screen, along with the name of a Special Art. This means she wants to cast that Special Art in order to continue the combo, and is currently trying to build meter, in order to cast it. When she has enough meter, an “LZ” or “RZ” button prompt will appear next to her name. Pressing the relevant button will cast her Special Art, and continue the combo.

If all goes well, the Heat bar will be replaced by a new bar representing the spell Mia cast, and the table in the top-right will change, to show that Combo #1 and Combo #2 are off the table, and the party needs to cast a Fire or Ice Special Art, in order to pull off a Driver Combo. In theory, Rex should be able to build up a Level 3 or Level 4 meter in time, and can use that to cast 'Steam Explosion', and make BIG NUMBERS appear.

Your party members won't blow their Special Arts until you tell them to, but if at any point you cast a Special Art which is too low-level to advance the combo, then it just won't advance, and you'll have to start again from scratch.

Whenever a party member's avatar pops up in the relevant spot on-screen, it means they have the correct Blade equipped to perform the next stage of a possible Driver Combo, and the ZL/ZR prompt means they have enough bar to execute the Special Art right now. If the avatar isn't showing, then it means the weapon they currently have equipped cannot participate in the current combo. When you have no combo currently on-going, they should both pop up on-screen, and you can actually use the ZL/ZR buttons to command them to cast Level 1 Special Arts, in order to begin completely different Driver Combos. As the game gets going, the possibilities become ridiculous, and the bonus effects associated with each Driver combo (such as sealing arts) becomes a really big deal.

Tyma fucked around with this message at 04:24 on Dec 3, 2017

Axel Serenity
Sep 27, 2002

Tyma posted:

A Super Quick Guide To Big Numbers

A good post for the OP imo

8-Bit Scholar
Jan 23, 2016

by FactsAreUseless
Does anyone have any advice for the Olethro Ruins bosses? I'm level 27 right now.

Klisejo
Apr 13, 2006

Who else see da' Leprechaun say YEAH!

Ralconn posted:

Is there really no manual or anything like that for this game?

I'm having a hard time remembering all these systems. :smith:

I'm putting it back to the bottom of the queue. I'll pick it back up in 6 months when there's a nice giant FAQ with everything explained and laid out. There's too much going on here with 500 systems on top of the terrible map and quest tracking that make the game just too drat annoying to be worth it for me right now.

Klisejo fucked around with this message at 04:31 on Dec 3, 2017

Shadow Ninja 64
May 21, 2007

"I stood there, wondering why the puck was getting bigger...

and then it hit me."

He isn't a rare blade but I got some lightning Blitzball dude and he's really cool despite Rex having positively glacial auto attack speed with him active.

Zore
Sep 21, 2010
willfully illiterate, aggressively miserable sourpuss whose sole raison d’etre is to put other people down for liking the wrong things
Holy poo poo Mythra owns.

Calaveron
Aug 7, 2006
Now someone explain Poppi

8-bit Miniboss
May 24, 2005

https://twitter.com/digitaldiatribe/status/937163421153296384

Calaveron posted:

Tora is unable to bond with a core crystal. So he made his own Blade, with blackjack and hookers.

Axel Serenity
Sep 27, 2002

Calaveron posted:

Play Tiger Tiger. When you normally go to upgrade Blades, Poppi will instead have a number of crystals in the upper right based on your TT score. You can use these crystals to buy upgrades and parts like you would normal Core Chips and Aux Core upgrades for regular blades.

Sensual Simian
Jun 7, 2004

summer jorts
oh my lord the japanese language DLC is an absolute necessity. the english voice work definitely gets in the way of a good game.

Momomo
Dec 26, 2009

Dont judge me, I design your manhole
I'm of the complete opposite opinion, I can't imagine this game without the English voices.

TurnipFritter
Apr 21, 2010
10,000 POSTS ON TALKING TIME

Calaveron posted:

Well you see, Tetsuya Takahashi likes robots a lot,

Calaveron
Aug 7, 2006
You remember how in Xenoblade 1 characters would ask perfectly reasonable questions and they would either be answered in a way that made sense or not because the story dictated the mystery should remain for a while and gave a valid, understandable explanation as to why the question cannot be answered?

Well guess what DOES NOT HAPPEN IN THIS GAME

Party Miser
Apr 1, 2011
I really like the dubbing and array of accents in this game. A couple times it's a bit weird or flat (like Rex screaming), but otherwise excellent.

AlphaKeny1
Feb 17, 2006

I want to experience how hilarious the dubbing is but I don't think I can take the tedious combat voices in English

Night Blade
Feb 25, 2013

AlphaKeny1 posted:

I want to experience how hilarious the dubbing is but I don't think I can take the tedious combat voices in English

You haven't lived until you've heard Rex's english voice actor go "Aowwhhh...!"

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

AlphaKeny1 posted:

Yeah I'm liking the overall dub and some of the post-combat but even at minimum volume all the combat HIYAHs are fuckin obnoxious

Reyn Time it is not

8-Bit Scholar
Jan 23, 2016

by FactsAreUseless
People seem upset that the whole story isn't explained in the first hour.

Story is really good, in fact.

Blackbelt Bobman
Jul 17, 2004

I don't need friends! I've been
manipulatin' you since the start!
All so I can something,
something X-Blade!

Can someone explain what the bravery/justice/whatever levels mean? And also, what the boosters do when bonding with core crystals?

Also I got Adenine as my first rare Blade on my fourth or fifth core, which owns.

8-bit Miniboss
May 24, 2005

bizarre deformity posted:

Can someone explain what the bravery/justice/whatever levels mean? And also, what the boosters do when bonding with core crystals?

Also I got Adenine as my first rare Blade on my fourth or fifth core, which owns.

From what I can tell, it gives the core crystal you're bonding with an elemental bias. You see 2 elements swirling around the crystal depicting what it could end up with. Though I did this on a rare crystal, it gave me a rare Blade that was neither of the elements shown. So it might be skewed more toward normal blades maybe? Could be the number of boosters that augment that of course.

Calaveron
Aug 7, 2006

8-Bit Scholar posted:

People seem upset that the whole story isn't explained in the first hour.

Story is really good, in fact.

The problem is that the story seems to be driven by things the main character’s allies aren’t telling him rather than a secret kept by the enemies.
Also I’m predicting one of the game’s main twists (don’t tell me if I’m right or wrong) based entirely off of accents

katkillad2
Aug 30, 2004

Awake and unreal, off to nowhere

Klisejo posted:

I'm putting it back to the bottom of the queue. I'll pick it back up in 6 months when there's a nice giant FAQ with everything explained and laid out. There's too much going on here with 500 systems on top of the terrible map and quest tracking that make the game just too drat annoying to be worth it for me right now.

There would definitely be some benefits to that, I'm trying to find favorite pouch items for blades and nobody has made a list yet :smith:

TurnipFritter
Apr 21, 2010
10,000 POSTS ON TALKING TIME

katkillad2 posted:

There would definitely be some benefits to that, I'm trying to find favorite pouch items for blades and nobody has made a list yet :smith:

I forgot what the tutorial said, what's the bonus for having a character's favorite pouch item again?

Momomo
Dec 26, 2009

Dont judge me, I design your manhole
I've only done chapter 1, but them keeping Rex in the dark makes complete sense. He's a hired contractor, why would they tell him the details about what is obviously a political stunt? As far as Rex is concerned he's working for a couple days, getting a shitload of money, and keeping his mouth shut.

Sensual Simian
Jun 7, 2004

summer jorts
im atill confused as to the benefit of favorite pouch items. why should i care if Rex likes Special Sparklejuice?

edit: beaten.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

I still can’t make up my mind on whether I personally prefer the English or Japanese voiceovers. The english is fine except for brief cringeworthy crap that I struggle to get past :v: