Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

GnarlyCharlie4u
Sep 23, 2007

I have an unhealthy obsession with motorcycles.

Proof

mattdev posted:

Whatup gewns I just did my first build:

I have a CODE keyboard at home with cherry clears. Whenever I went to work my typo rate would increase exponentially due to the lovely wireless Mac keyboards we get.

Eames lounge inspired. QMK60 with 65 keys, cherry browns, rosewood case. Definitely like how much little pressure the browns require compared to the clears. I feel I get quite a bit of a finger workout with the clears, but these browns are as smooth as butter.

Wish I could get blues but alas, I work in an open office and would prefer not to drive everyone absolutely crazy.

I'm the opposite end. I love my clears to death. The quiet and the heavy pressure just make me :3:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

teethgrinder
Oct 9, 2002

Psst. One of your caps ... escaped.

clamiam45
Sep 10, 2005

HIGH FIVE! I'M GAY TOO!!!!!!
I'm the president of the mx clear fan club. My Vortex Core with clears is excellent.

Brownie
Jul 21, 2007
The Croatian Sensation
I just bought a poker 3 with clears, and I hope I like them more than the browns I have in my CM Storm Rapid. Also gently caress I cannot believe I just spent that much on a keyboard.

mewse
May 2, 2006

I want to order some clicky switches but can't decide between Kailh speed pinks, Kailh box whites (I like the click bar idea), or Kailh pro green. Any thoughts?

teraflame
Jan 7, 2009

mewse posted:

I want to order some clicky switches but can't decide between Kailh speed pinks, Kailh box whites (I like the click bar idea), or Kailh pro green. Any thoughts?

Matias click.

Constellation I
Apr 3, 2005
I'm a sucker, a little fucker.

mewse posted:

I'd say go for box whites. Note that the speed pink/bronze are also click bar. The speed switches can be a little annoying for just regular typing since it's super sensitive with the 1.1mm actuation. But I love it for gaming. The Pro light greens are 1.7mm so they're better in that regard. No experience with the pro light greens, but those use the traditional sleeve jacket for the click (think Cherry Blues but not poo poo). I've tried Kailh Golds and those are pretty nice, so the light greens should be similar.

CyberPingu
Sep 15, 2013

If you're not striving to improve, you'll end up going backwards.
Ergodox infinity with clears checking in for the clear hype train

Fishvilla
Apr 11, 2011

THE SHAGMISTRESS

CyberPingu posted:

Ergodox infinity with clears checking in for the clear hype train

This is the setup I'm pining over now. Please tell me it's as good as it sounds.

CyberPingu
Sep 15, 2013

Fishvilla posted:

This is the setup I'm pining over now. Please tell me it's as good as it sounds.

Its even better :gizz:

HappyCapybaraFamily
Sep 16, 2009

Roger Baolong Thunder Dragon has been fascinated by this sophisticated and scientifically beautiful industry since childhood, and has shown his talent in the design and manufacture of watches.
How long did it take/how annoying was it to adjust to using other layers for the F-keys? I use them a lot in my daily work.

mattdev
Sep 30, 2004

Gentlemen of taste, refinement, luxury.

Women want us, men want to be us.

HappyCapybaraFamily posted:

How long did it take/how annoying was it to adjust to using other layers for the F-keys? I use them a lot in my daily work.

About an hour since they’re mapped to my top keys. Same with the media keys.

Having a 1x sized right shift has taken much longer to adjust to.

CyberPingu
Sep 15, 2013

I use a 60% at home so was used to it already. But took about a week for muscle memory to get rewired.

Grassy Knowles
Apr 4, 2003

"The original Terminator was a gritty fucking AMAZING piece of sci-fi. Gritty fucking rock-hard MURDER!"

mattdev posted:

About an hour since they’re mapped to my top keys. Same with the media keys.

Having a 1x sized right shift has taken much longer to adjust to.

My worst typing habit on a standard keyboard is that I never, ever use right shift.

I have it mapped to activate the numpad layer on the ergodox.

F4rt5
May 20, 2006

Grassy Knowles posted:

My worst typing habit on a standard keyboard is that I never, ever use right shift.
I use right shift almost exclusively, but that's because of the darned 105th key wedged in between the left shift and z :(

mattdev
Sep 30, 2004

Gentlemen of taste, refinement, luxury.

Women want us, men want to be us.
Future of this thread.

mewse
May 2, 2006

Constellation I posted:

I'd say go for box whites. Note that the speed pink/bronze are also click bar. The speed switches can be a little annoying for just regular typing since it's super sensitive with the 1.1mm actuation. But I love it for gaming. The Pro light greens are 1.7mm so they're better in that regard. No experience with the pro light greens, but those use the traditional sleeve jacket for the click (think Cherry Blues but not poo poo). I've tried Kailh Golds and those are pretty nice, so the light greens should be similar.

Thanks for the advice, I ordered a set of box whites + a tester for the pro switches

HappyCapybaraFamily
Sep 16, 2009

Roger Baolong Thunder Dragon has been fascinated by this sophisticated and scientifically beautiful industry since childhood, and has shown his talent in the design and manufacture of watches.
I know it's Massdrop and all, but the Kailh BIG Switch amuses me. Not sure I'd use it for much more than a desktop fidget toy, but the more creative engineers out there might be able to make something interesting out of it.

Reclines Obesily
Jul 24, 2000

Hey Moona!
Slippery Tilde
Kailh been killing it the past year

https://www.instagram.com/p/BZjp-pDgie8/?taken-by=novel.keys

wolrah
May 8, 2006
what?
I really want to see some crazy person build a full keyboard using those.

Reclines Obesily
Jul 24, 2000

Hey Moona!
Slippery Tilde
if anyone got the k-type i highly suggest doing this, it costs about $10 and makes the keyboard perfect

get these http://www.switchtop.com/product/plate-mounted-cherry-stabilizers and do this;

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AstfRUuIjOw
https://imgur.com/a/QtrB5

no more rattle

CerealKilla420
Jan 3, 2014

"I need a handle man..."
I'm looking for a keyboard with a num-pad with Cherry MX Blues that isn't super ricey (non-backlit preferred) for under $100. What should I get? I'm not looking for the most quality keyboard, just for something to bring to work that doesn't suck.

NewFatMike
Jun 11, 2015

I know it's Massdrop and all, but the Kailh BIG Switch amuses me. Not sure I'd use it for much more than a desktop fidget toy, but the more creative engineers out there might be able to make something interesting out of it.

Map your overwatch ult to it. It's the best possible application.

The Deadly Hume
May 26, 2004

Let's get a little crazy. Let's have some fun.
OK I guess I'm a member of the Clear Club now (on probation). The WASD v2 turned up last week but I've only just put some caps on it.

Obviously it'll take a week of working with the Clears but first impressions are good. However the WASD pitches a little more than the Das so maybe in a week or two I'll swap in the XDA set as they're quite flat compared with the DSA profile keys that I've put in to start with, as I've discovered that I like my layout to be pretty flat. Maybe I should get another computer to justify having two different keyboards that I like.

HappyCapybaraFamily
Sep 16, 2009

NewFatMike posted:

Map your overwatch ult to it. It's the best possible application.

My brother mains Tracer, so I guess it would make sense to get him the yellow linear one. I don't play Overwatch at all, so I only barely understand what's being discussed here v:v:v

64bit_Dophins posted:

I'm looking for a keyboard with a num-pad with Cherry MX Blues that isn't super ricey (non-backlit preferred) for under $100. What should I get? I'm not looking for the most quality keyboard, just for something to bring to work that doesn't suck.

Just noticed no one had answered this yet. Here are a couple I found on MechanicalKeyboards.com that might fit your needs.

Cherry MX 3.0, from the OG manufacturer of the switches everyone knows and loves

Leopold FC900R. I've never used a Leopold myself, but all the internet chatter I hear has been positive.

Finally, if you're willing to stretch your budget to $120, I can recommend this Varmilo Z104M based on my experience with the VA87M and their customer support.

HappyCapybaraFamily fucked around with this message at 21:49 on Dec 3, 2017

ColHannibal
Sep 17, 2007

64bit_Dophins posted:

Unless you have a office with a door get clears.

Lawen
Aug 7, 2000

Johnny Law posted:

Yeah the online configurator has gotten horked and it's weird they're not addressing that.

There are three versions of the online configurator though and so you can perhaps find one that still works for you. I use the "alpha"; some other folks seem to also be fine with the "lts".

https://configurator.input.club/

https://configurator.input.club/lts/

https://configurator.input.club/alpha/

It took me a couple weeks to get around to trying again but thanks a lot for this. The /lts one did the trick and all is right in the world. Super weird that I can't find links to the /lts or /alpha pages anywhere on their site; seems like something they'd want to publicize.

I also got a second set of the Granite ergodoxian kit in from pimpmykeyboard and while it was kind of insane to spend $55 to get four keys that I needed, I regret nothing; my thumb clusters are now properly labeled. I'm one key (a 1.5U CONTROL from the Text Pro Modifier kit) away from one of my ergodoxes being perfect and am probably going to drop $10+shipping for one unless anyone has one they want to trade/sell.

HappyCapybaraFamily
Sep 16, 2009

A fellow goon sold me my current VA87M with a set of DSA Granites. They are some good typin'. I wanted a nerdier board, though, so that's why I swapped it for Godspeeds. I think the sculpted SA profile actually slows my typing down (or maybe the tons of added weight from all the o-rings too?), but too bad. Gotta keep the NASA look at all costs.

Speaking of keycaps, Massdrop has a new community-made set to be dropping soon: https://www.massdrop.com/buy/massdrop-x-glimy-dsa-2077-custom-keycap-set?mode=guest_open

... I think it looks kinda poopy :/

eta: $120 for the first TKL set drop, and they're also ABS doubleshot. Yike

mewse
May 2, 2006

Mito laser tempted me but I didn't pull the trigger. Those ones just look lovely.

teethgrinder
Oct 9, 2002

I like the font a lot but those function keys are awful.

Only thing I want to buy at this point is an alternative set for my Race 3. TOTALLY DONE OTHERWISE I SWEAR.

HappyCapybaraFamily
Sep 16, 2009

ahahahahahaaaaaaaahahaha what

... at :20bux: I'm tempted

The Unlife Aquatic
Jun 17, 2009

Here in my car
I feel safest of all
I can lock all my doors
It's the only way to live
In cars
Artisan keycaps are a blight on this hobby.

HappyCapybaraFamily
Sep 16, 2009

At least these won't end up going for hundreds of dollars

but I also agree 100%

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

Making you happy for a buck since 199X

64bit_Dophins posted:

ColHannibal posted:

Unless you have a office with a door get clearsUnicomp.

Announce your presence with loving authority, my friend.

ShowTime
Mar 28, 2005
I bought a CODE keyboard a little over a month ago based on recommendations from this thread and love it. Today it suddenly stopped working, followed by a BIOS keyboard error. I popped in another keyboard and it works fine. Any idea what could be causing the issue? I've already submitted a return but love the keyboard and would love to keep using it.

Billzasilver
Nov 8, 2016

I lift my drink and sing a song

for who knows if life is short or long?

Man's life is like the morning dew

past days many, future days few

Holy poo poo. So I bought a crummy roll up keyboard. It feels awful but it's perfect for lightweight travel situations. I also bought an aukey mechanical keyboard because it was on sale. Typing feels great but I could not imagine how loud it is. It's as loud in real life as those fake typing sounds movies add so you know the hacking is getting serious.

So I have to know, is the clackening a byproduct of the keys feeling good, or is the volume purposefully increased?

mewse
May 2, 2006

Billzasilver posted:

Holy poo poo. So I bought a crummy roll up keyboard. It feels awful but it's perfect for lightweight travel situations. I also bought an aukey mechanical keyboard because it was on sale. Typing feels great but I could not imagine how loud it is. It's as loud in real life as those fake typing sounds movies add so you know the hacking is getting serious.

So I have to know, is the clackening a byproduct of the keys feeling good, or is the volume purposefully increased?

If the aukey has blue switches those are basically the loudest mechanical switches you can get. They are clicky and noisey

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

Making you happy for a buck since 199X

Billzasilver posted:

Those are blue switches, you can get the same feel without the noise with clear switches, or a reasonable likeness of it with browns.

Some people LIKE our switches loud. (I am Eric the Mauve's Model M and I approve this message. :colbert:)

HappyCapybaraFamily
Sep 16, 2009

Anyone have a Ducky One TKL RGB? How pingy are the keys?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

F4rt5
May 20, 2006

How are the Kailh brown switches compared to Cherrys? My Google research show they have bigger tolerances for variance in force / actuation distance etc and that they can be "wildly" different across a single board. That info is a few years old now, from what I found, so I wondered if they've ironed it out now that mechanicals are ever more popular?

e: Sorry, OP says nope lol. I'll trust the OP. drat, have to save up a bit longer for a proper one and go for clears (love blues but can't have the noise). I guess my fingers will thank me.

F4rt5 fucked around with this message at 10:15 on Dec 8, 2017