Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ThisIsACoolGuy
Nov 2, 2010

Shaped like a friend

Momomo posted:

I've only done chapter 1, but them keeping Rex in the dark makes complete sense. He's a hired contractor, why would they tell him the details about what is obviously a political stunt? As far as Rex is concerned he's working for a couple days, getting a shitload of money, and keeping his mouth shut.

It's more like in that scene as rex is leaving Gramps and Pyra are like "wow we know those guys from 500 years ago and we also know each other what ambition....!" and Rex isn't like "Yo hold up what the gently caress are you talking about"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Davos
Jul 1, 2011

DESERVING RECOGNITION

Calaveron posted:

You remember how in Xenoblade 1 characters would ask perfectly reasonable questions and they would either be answered in a way that made sense or not because the story dictated the mystery should remain for a while and gave a valid, understandable explanation as to why the question cannot be answered?

Well guess what DOES NOT HAPPEN IN THIS GAME

I think this really encapsulates how I'm feeling about this game's writing, and why it's not pulling me in the same away that Xenoblade 1 did. The opening cutscene wasn't half bad for being pure exposition about the state of the world, but from the trade guild onwards it kind of stumbles about throwing some proper nouns at you here and there and hoping you'll figure things out along the way.

There's like a two hour gap between when the game first introduces you to the terms "Blade" and "Driver" and when it actually bothers explaining anything about what those things are, despite Rex having character knowledge of them from the get go.

Blackbelt Bobman
Jul 17, 2004

I don't need friends! I've been
manipulatin' you since the start!
All so I can something,
something X-Blade!

The English dub is great because Rex will shout "WE WILL BEAT THEM... WITH THE POWER OF FRIENDSHIP!" during battles and it makes me laugh every single time.

Calaveron
Aug 7, 2006
:negative:
Ok, the game redeemed a lot of its spotty writing with the Zeke scene holy cow

Tender Bender
Sep 17, 2004

Calaveron posted:

You remember how in Xenoblade 1 characters would ask perfectly reasonable questions and they would either be answered in a way that made sense or not because the story dictated the mystery should remain for a while and gave a valid, understandable explanation as to why the question cannot be answered?

Well guess what DOES NOT HAPPEN IN THIS GAME

Everything involving the bird people was insane. Xenoblade's plot starts off strong but once you get there it implodes spectacularly.

Shadow Ninja 64
May 21, 2007

"I stood there, wondering why the puck was getting bigger...

and then it hit me."

My first rare crystal gave me a normal dork, lame.

Also, is the progression in this game Break -> Topple -> Launch -> Smash now? I know we lost daze in there,

Calaveron
Aug 7, 2006

Tender Bender posted:

Everything involving the bird people was insane. Xenoblade's plot starts off strong but once you get there it implodes spectacularly.

I mean, to be fair the birdmen couldn’t answer any questions because they turned into horrible disfigured monsters

8-bit Miniboss
May 24, 2005

CORPO COPS CAME FOR MY :filez:

Shadow Ninja 64 posted:

My first rare crystal gave me a normal dork, lame.

Also, is the progression in this game Break -> Topple -> Launch -> Smash now? I know we lost daze in there,

Yes, once you get the Topple tutorial it will explain exactly that.

Also holy loving poo poo. Get to the end of the Chapter 3 and you'll be in this loving game.

Saxophone
Sep 19, 2006

Found my first rare crystal after a boss fight.

Kosmos.

:smugdog:

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Calaveron posted:

Ok, the game redeemed a lot of its spotty writing with the Zeke scene holy cow

Excuse me, but He is the Zekenator and you will address him as such :colbert:.

Sam Faust
Feb 20, 2015

Saxophone posted:

Found my first rare crystal after a boss fight.

Kosmos.

:smugdog:

:mad:

Unlucky7
Jul 11, 2006

Fallen Rib
Some of these enemies are really annoying to fight. Like the wolves that keep summoning adds and that drat level 89 ape that seems to want to join in every fight.

AlphaKeny1
Feb 17, 2006

In chapter 1 there's a chest behind a partially opened door in the loading bay... how am I supposed to get that?

8-bit Miniboss
May 24, 2005

AlphaKeny1 posted:

In chapter 1 there's a chest behind a partially opened door in the loading bay... how am I supposed to get that?

You can't get to it without certain field skills. Don't worry about it for now. There's going to be a lot of treasure like that.

Axel Serenity
Sep 27, 2002

AlphaKeny1 posted:

Should be a door and a ramp on the lower level that winds back up around to the back of the door. There's a level 5 dude roaming there, iirc.

Dirk the Average
Feb 7, 2012

"This may have been a mistake."

AlphaKeny1 posted:

There's a path that leads to the other side of that door.

AlphaKeny1
Feb 17, 2006

8-bit Miniboss posted:

You can't get to it without certain field skills. Don't worry about it for now. There's going to be a lot of treasure like that.

Ok, thanks!

edit: wait I'll try and snap a pic

Echophonic
Sep 16, 2005

ha;lp
Gun Saliva
Managed another rare blade with my 5th. Adenine, the neat book-lady. She's got a bunch of skills.

AlphaKeny1
Feb 17, 2006

I'll look for a ramp below, guess I'm just impatient. Thanks everyone!

Toad King
Apr 23, 2008

Yeah, I'm the best

8-bit Miniboss posted:

Also holy loving poo poo. Get to the end of the Chapter 3 and you'll be in this loving game.

Yeah the end of ch. 3 + begining of ch. 4 started ticking all the JRPG story boxes that I've been looking for.

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

> BEWARE, COWARD :ovr:

Neddy Seagoon posted:

Excuse me, but He is the Zekenator and you will address him as such :colbert:.

See the knowledge that at some point a character like this will grace me is what's keeping me on ENG

Dirk the Average
Feb 7, 2012

"This may have been a mistake."

AlphaKeny1 posted:

For future reference, doors that you can break down have a symbol on them when you approach. In the future, such things will be possible, but if there's no symbol, then there's just another path that will lead there.

8-bit Miniboss
May 24, 2005

AlphaKeny1 posted:

Oooooh, I thought you meant on the Argentum. My bad. You'll find it easy. No field skills required for that one.

Also hell yeah, finally have a use for all of these common blades.

Calaveron
Aug 7, 2006

Ciaphas posted:

See the knowledge that at some point a character like this will grace me is what's keeping me on ENG

Like legit his intro scene balances on a razor sharp knife’s edge between obnoxious tryhard funnie and legit actual funny and it succeeds at being funny

Caphi
Jan 6, 2012

INCREDIBLE

Ciaphas posted:

I'm actually inclined to switch when I get him because I know that his arts in JP are amazing but I'm going to give the translation a chance first.

8-bit Miniboss
May 24, 2005

Not my choice of rare, but I'll take it since I can finally use that 3rd slot.

https://twitter.com/digitaldiatribe/status/937201059449094144

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

I have zero idea what sort of element combinations I want, what classes combo together best, or what weapon types to pursue

I used to be a lot better at analyzing this stuff :v:

Ornamented Death
Jan 25, 2006

Pew pew!

It is vaguely annoying to win a boss fight only for the following cutscene to go, "Actually, you lost that fight."

Meowywitch
Jan 14, 2010

Pyra is cool, even if her accent is weird

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!

voltcatfish posted:

Pyra is cool, even if her accent is weird

Her accent is weird in that she doesn't have one.

While the rest are British as gently caress.

Which owns

Zore
Sep 21, 2010
willfully illiterate, aggressively miserable sourpuss whose sole raison d’etre is to put other people down for liking the wrong things

8-bit Miniboss posted:

Lol, literally the same group I have Rex rocking right now. Nia's gotten all the cool rare blades so far; the little girl+Polar Bear, the creepy giant round puffball who opens like a clam and a rad earth blade with a huge axe.

Adept Nightingale
Feb 7, 2005

Ornamented Death posted:

It is vaguely annoying to win a boss fight only for the following cutscene to go, "Actually, you lost that fight."

It keeps doing this and it's driving me up a wall.

Game is still great, though.

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

8-bit Miniboss posted:

Kora's a healer, right? Any particular reason you're using her besides "is rare"?

(e) oh wait i guess you implied 'no'

8-bit Miniboss
May 24, 2005

Ciaphas posted:

Kora's a healer, right? Any particular reason you're using her besides "is rare"?

(e) oh wait i guess you implied 'no'

Nia is my main healer, but I still gave her a Tank blade for offensive skills (swapped out the one aggro skill) and element variety. Extra healing is never bad and Kora is one of the few electric blades I have. Also rares have way more affinity slots so you're just leaving benefits on the table otherwise.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Ciaphas posted:

Caphi posted:

I'm actually inclined to switch when I get him because I know that his arts in JP are amazing but I'm going to give the translation a chance first.

In all seriousness, keep it on English if only for when you encounter that character. Do share your thoughts after it :munch:.

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

Neddy Seagoon posted:

In all seriousness, keep it on English if only for when you encounter that character. Do share your thoughts after it :munch:.

You better not be baiting me here :mad:

In voice related matters, turns out Game narration volume is what you use to silence the battle chatter, not Battle narration. Unfortunately(?) Game narration is tied to e.g. traveling, collection, post-battle, etc. So what is Battle narration? :shrug:

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Ciaphas posted:

In voice related matters, turns out Game narration volume is what you use to silence the battle chatter, not Battle narration. Unfortunately(?) Game narration is tied to e.g. traveling, collection, post-battle, etc. So what is Battle narration? :shrug:

Battle Naration is Gramps saying things like "Topple Burn!"

ConanThe3rd
Mar 27, 2009
So Poppi is loving adorable. Her walk cycle is a treat to watch. Its all very Astroboy.

8-bit Miniboss
May 24, 2005

ConanThe3rd posted:

So Poppi is loving adorable. Her walk cycle is a treat to watch. Its all very Astroboy.

Her dance is cute as hell.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ConanThe3rd
Mar 27, 2009

8-bit Miniboss posted:

Her dance is cute as hell.

Idle Animation?