Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Zoe
Jan 19, 2007
Hair Elf

Stabbey_the_Clown posted:

My guess is that the victim (probably Nagito) will be killed with one.

I'm going to be real upset if Nagito dies. He's Honorary, More Interesting Main Character at this point.

For a while there I was sure the twist would be that someone gets murdered because someone else panicked and wanted off the island before the bombs went off, but I don't think there's actually time for a trial etc. at this point if they're set to blow at noon. And, not a very big pool of potential suspects left, for that matter. Fortunately in most cases (unfortunately in one particular one...) these kids might have reached the point where everyone left in the group survives. I can't remember the number of survivors in the first game however.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Stroth
Mar 31, 2007

All Problems Solved

Zoe posted:

For a while there I was sure the twist would be that someone gets murdered because someone else panicked and wanted off the island before the bombs went off, but I don't think there's actually time for a trial etc. at this point if they're set to blow at noon.

Nah, Monobear would totally get rid of the bombs. He always removes the motivation once a murder's been committed.

fractalairduct
Sep 26, 2015

I, Giorno Giovanna, have a dream!

Zoe posted:

I can't remember the number of survivors in the first game however.

Six, and there are seven left in this game.

Glazius
Jul 22, 2007

Hail all those who are able,
any mouse can,
any mouse will,
but the Guard prevail.

Clapping Larry
Yes, the guy whose special talent is being lucky couldn't possibly have guessed a password.

...now I wonder if he did, found a welcome message from Nezumi Nobunaga, and decided to go destroy whatever he could in the castle.

Who What Now
Sep 10, 2006

by Azathoth
I finally caught up with this thread. Thanks for the effort, FP.

One thing I've been holding on to this whole that bothered me about Mikan's murders is that the entire thing would have been avoided if even a single person had just been kind to her before the despair disease incident. Or hell, even if someone had just told Hiyoko to shut the hell up Mikan might have had second thoughts.

Stabbey_the_Clown
Sep 21, 2002

Are... are you quite sure you really want to say that?
Taco Defender

Zoe posted:

I'm going to be real upset if Nagito dies. He's Honorary, More Interesting Main Character at this point.

Counterpoint: He's an insane psychotic loon who was planning on murdering a student already.

Who What Now
Sep 10, 2006

by Azathoth
I still don't understand why Makoto won't let Akane give him a black eye.

And Soda is an idiot trash boy and I hope he's the next murder victim.

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

Jack in!! MegaMan, Execute!

Who What Now posted:

One thing I've been holding on to this whole that bothered me about Mikan's murders is that the entire thing would have been avoided if even a single person had just been kind to her before the despair disease incident. Or hell, even if someone had just told Hiyoko to shut the hell up Mikan might have had second thoughts.

Yeah, but then we wouldn't have those HILARIOUS running gags where Hiyoko calls Mikan pig barf while Mikan apologizes for ever being happy ever. :v:

Who What Now posted:

I still don't understand why Makoto won't let Akane give him a black eye.

Hajime?

BlazeEmblem
Jun 8, 2013

Uh oh. Do I use Ariadne thread or Goho-M?

Who What Now posted:

She wasn't in the proper state of mind at the time. She was a very different person once her memories were returned, and that made her kill, not Hiyoko bullying her. In fact, she only killed Hiyoko when she walked in on her in the music venue. Hiyoko was never a target for murder from her.

Who What Now
Sep 10, 2006

by Azathoth

BlazeEmblem posted:

She wasn't in the proper state of mind at the time. She was a very different person once her memories were returned, and that made her kill, not Hiyoko bullying her. In fact, she only killed Hiyoko when she walked in on her in the music venue. Hiyoko was never a target for murder from her.

Hikan killed because she thought it was what the one person who was ever kind to her would have wanted. If there were other people who had been kind to her she may have taken their wants into consideration as well. I know that she didn't target Hiyoko, but if Ibuki had stood up to Hiyoko on Mikan's behalf I don't think she'd have been so quick to off Ibuki when she regained her memories.

Yeah, him. I have a really, really hard time remembering names, especially Japanese ones.

Hemingway To Go!
Nov 10, 2008

im stupider then dog shit, i dont give a shit, and i dont give a fuck, and i will never shut the fuck up, and i'll always Respect my enemys.
- ernest hemingway
People were nice to Mikan (though most of the time that they were she interpreted something they said as something horrible), they just didn't stand up for her or even really notice her solitary bully. This group really doesn't notice much about each other. Still, there wasn't any reason for absolutely no one to bond with Mikan... In DR1, she would've become friends with someone in a previous chapter or had been revealed to be impossible to befriend.

In the first game, Mikan kind of had an equivalent in Toko, but she actively lashes out against everyone while indulging in victimhood fantasies. Later people notice Togami bullying Toko but by then Togami had been threatening the group for a long time and Toko's a serial killer so they aren't sure what they're supposed to do. There were actually several situations like that. Characters in DR1 had feelings about other characters, and other characters noticed those feelings.

I kind of feel like the character dynamics of DR1 and their actions are a lot stronger, while DR2's are far more just fulfilling their quirky anime charicatures while not accomplishing anything.
Like what was going on in DR1? Characters first thing first made up a system of not being out at night in order to try not to get killed, which Togami ignores and causes a rift in the group for it, and then a lot of the motives in the cases have to do with the question of why they were captured and what their lives before this situation were. There was a traitor situation but there was actually evidence the traitor had worked against the group beyond Monobear's word. Just, I really remember believing in DR1's characters, and I've been unable to believe in DR2's when a lot of what they do seems to be to fulfill their stereotypes and ignore their own stakes.

Well, I feel that way. I was prepared to effortpost harder to justify my opinion, since we're so far into DR2 it feels like it's about time that we can compare the two but trying to type it up, I realize there were some dynamics of DR2 that I had forgotten. It would take a lot of work to be objective here. Still, I don't think that in DR1 characters would have noticed Hiyoko bullying Mikan, wouldn't have let TeruTeru's comments slide, or keep caring about some "traitor" without more evidence that that's actually a thing going on beyond the word of their captor. I don't totally dislike DR2s characters on this metric, either Akane, Sonia, and Fuyuhiko have developed arcs and try their best to help the group despite their limitations. I liked Togami as the rival to the group better than Nagito, but Nagito has proved himself a disturbing and interesting character. But still, a lot of DR2 still just does not feel quite right to me.

FPzero
Oct 20, 2008

Game Over
Return of Mido

*Ding dong, bing bong*

: Ahem... Hope's Peak Academy's School Trip Executive Committee has an announcement to make... Gooooood morning, everyone! Looks like today is gonna be another perfect, tropical day! Now then, let's show some enthusiasm and make sure to give it our all today!

The scenery this morning is the same as it ever was. I can see the sunlight peeking through the window. I can hear the faint sound of waves crashing on the beach.

But the bombs Nagito set are going to destroy all this...once time runs out at noon.

At the moment...there's nothing about our situation that's changing for the better.

: Usually, I'd go to the restaurant...but what should I do today? As long as I remember what Nagito said...

: Oh, by the way, I'll be waiting here, so if you want to reveal yourself, come see me anytime...
: ...Mister or Miss Traitor.

It sounds like he was planning to hang out at the restaurant all day...

Music cuts out.

: Wait a minute...he's going to be there all day?
: Then...if anyone went to the restaurant like they normally do...

The bad feeling lingering in my chest grew with each beat of my frantic heart...

I immediately ran out of my cottage.

: I know we're running to the restaurant but Sonia's out by the pool.

: ...Good morning, Hajime.
: Um, about yesterday... I may have been somewhat careless with my words. I could not keep myself from snapping at what Kazuichi said, and I acted on my own... Thanks to my actions, everyone ended up going their own separate ways, right?
: Yeah, but...what you said wasn't wrong either.
: ...
: Um...I have not given up yet. I will do my very best to live until the very end.
: If not...I will not be able to face Gundham, Nekomaru, or the others who have died!

: No one in the lobby... Usually Chiaki is here but not today... Let's go upstairs.

Music fades out.

The moment I set foot inside the restaurant...

...The worst-case scenario was unfolding before me.

: Playtime's over... Now...where'd you hide the bombs!?
: That hurts...but I'll never tell. If you really want me to spit it out, you should try torturing me or something.
: ...Huh? Torture?
: Maybe...you can stab my fingers with that fork over there, or scoop my eyes out with that spoon... If you're not willing to fill me with despair, there's no way my hope will ever bre...gh...ghhhhh!

Akane's hands suddenly wrapped around Nagito's neck, and his face began turning a startling shade of red...

: That's fine with me... Just die already!

Her clenched hands kept squeezing...even tighter...as if she was trying to snap his neck instead of just strangling him...

: Wh-What are you doing!?
: A-Akane!?
: H-Hey...are you all right...? Isn't he...seriously gonna die...?

But she was too overcome by rage to acknowledge us...

Music cuts out.

*Slap!*

: ...Huh?

: Calm down...okay? You wouldn't do something like that, right? You're not the kind of person who would hurt someone...right?
: See, it's all right. Yep...no problem.

: S-Sorry...I'm awake now...
: What...was I doing anyway?
: Th-That's what I wanna ask... Don't tell me you were actually thinking about killing him.

Music fades out.

And that's when it happened... In the corner of my eye, I saw him slowly stand up.

: Thank you Akane... I got to see my dead dog again. I haven't seen him in ages.
: Serves you right... You probably pissed off Akane in the first place...
: Hmmm...I didn't mean to do that though... Anyway, thank you for saving me. Looks like I owe you one.

: If you sincerely mean that, please tell us the password to enter the ancient ruin.
: The password? To that ancient ruin? What are you going to do with that?
: Don't play dumb... You've hidden the bombs inside that ruin, right?
: Yep, I did...
: ...until yesterday.

...Huh?

: "Until yesterday..."
: Wh-What the heck does that mean!? Why'd he have to go and make things so complicated!?

: I assumed correctly...he definitely hid the bombs inside the ancient ruins.
: However...what exactly does he mean by, "until yesterday"?

: That bastard... Did he actually move the bombs somewhere else...?

: Thanks, Chiaki...for stopping Akane.
: No, I didn't do anything. Akane isn't the sort of person who could seriously do something like that in the first place.
: Is...that...so?
: But more importantly... It might be better if we listen to what Nagito has to say...I think.

: Seriously...I messed up... I made you freak out... It's like I wasn't myself anymore... I didn't even realize what I was doin'... I'm surprised at myself...

: Hey Nagito...what do you mean by, "until yesterday"?
: There wasn't anything important inside the ancient ruin... Just some familiar scenery.
: ...Familiar scenery?

: I got bored of it. Also...if I hid them in there, it would be completely meaningless.
: So even if you had managed to learn the password to the ancient ruin, it has no meaning anymore. Now that I've moved the bombs somewhere else.
: ...But they were inside that ancient ruin, right?

: Anyway, I guess it was right for me to move them. They were about to be found before the traitor confessed.
: Well, it's not like it really matters... In fact, that might be better.
: ...To make hope shine even brighter!
: Stop talking crazy and tell us where you moved the bombs already!
: Looks like you're in a hurry...well, that's understandable. After all, time runs out today.

: Then let's begin the final battle. The final battle between the traitor...and everyone else...
: The final battle between hope and despair...! The place I hid the bombs this time is...a place you've all visited at least once.
: That's it!? That's too broad!
: It shouldn't be that hard if you guys split up. For now, why don't you guys search everywhere as fast as you can? As long as everyone cooperates...it should be easy to find out where the bombs are.
: Wh-What the heck...!?

No Music.

: It's going to be fine... I'm pretty sure everything will work out in the end... After all...there's no way hope can lose...
: Absolute hope that can break through any despair can never lose in a place like this!
: And not only that...I believe in you all. I believe in the time we spent together.

: And more than anything...I believe in my Ultimate Luck! So it's going to be fine... As long as you believe in hope with all your hearts, the path should open... *leaves*

With that...Nagito walked away and left us with a sinister mixed message.

: Dammit... Why does he still have to be alive...!?
: Now's not the time to complain about stuff like that!
: Besides...we don't have time to fight among ourselves...
: You are right... We must hurry and search for the bombs! We should still have time to stop them!
: But based on all the places we searched...I don't know where we should look...

: The only thing we can do is split up and cover as much ground as we can! There are exactly six of us! Each person should be in charge of searching an island!
: Then...leave this island to me. I already have the layout of this island in my head.
: LEAVE IT TO ME!

: If Akane has the first island...then I'll do the second one.
: Miss Sonia should get the smallest island. Are you okay with searching the central island!?
: Huh? B-But...!?

: You're probably not good at covering ground anyway, right? It's fine, you can search the central island. Chiaki, you search the 3rd island with the hospital. Hajime, you search the amusement park island... And...I'll handle the final island.
: Alright...then let's do it!
: Let's hurry up and find those bombs so we can take care of Nagito once and for all.

We stormed out of the restaurant and immediately left to search for the bombs. We didn't have time to even think about who the traitor is.

...But...it's ironic...

Nagito is the reason we're all splitting up, but the reason we're all cooperating...is because of Nagito, too.

...It's pretty drat ironic.

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

Honestly, I'm surprised it someone this long to choke him.

Zoe
Jan 19, 2007
Hair Elf
Maybe they should be trying to like, keep a watch on Nagito so that they know when he does these things.

I can't help but share his opinion of the remaining cast at the moment tbh.

Doc Hawkins
Jun 15, 2010

Dashing? But I'm not even moving!

:staredog:

So, uh, how'd your dog die, Nagito?

Kinu Nishimura
Apr 24, 2008

SICK LOOT!

Hemingway To Go! posted:

I kind of feel like the character dynamics of DR1 and their actions are a lot stronger, while DR2's are far more just fulfilling their quirky anime charicatures while not accomplishing anything.
Like what was going on in DR1? Characters first thing first made up a system of not being out at night in order to try not to get killed, which Togami ignores and causes a rift in the group for it, and then a lot of the motives in the cases have to do with the question of why they were captured and what their lives before this situation were. There was a traitor situation but there was actually evidence the traitor had worked against the group beyond Monobear's word. Just, I really remember believing in DR1's characters, and I've been unable to believe in DR2's when a lot of what they do seems to be to fulfill their stereotypes and ignore their own stakes.

Exactly two people in DR1 actually accomplish anything (Sakura sacrifices herself and Kyoko does all the work.) Kazuichi and Nekomaru immediately tied up the crazy rear end in a top hat, unlike the cast of the first game who just let Byakuya "I will kill everyone because gently caress you" Togami just run around doing whatever he wanted, including after he nearly got the group killed by intentionally loving up a murder scene. Also, the cast of the first game were apparently so dense that none of them noticed the difference in their bodies from two years' worth of lost memories, again, except Kyoko, who just did all the work. The entire cast's opinion of the Toko and Byakuya situation is a resounding "whatever, who cares." Not only does the person who institutes the nighttime rule do so entirely for a murder, it doesn't even take that because Sayaka immediately plans a murder with it. Also, the gang in DR1 had one consistent enemy to work against, whereas in DR2 they not only have Monokuma, who is evil and making them murder each other, but also Usami, who is running around spouting off nonsense and has outright admitted to kidnapping them all.

Like I'm not gonna call DR2's cast paragons of intelligence here, but the cast in DR1 is loving stupid. Always remember that only one person in that entire group was smart enough to figure out 11037.

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

Hey, Chihiro did things, too. :(

MarquiseMindfang
Jan 6, 2013

vriska (vriska)

Doc Hawkins posted:

:staredog:

So, uh, how'd your dog die, Nagito?

Choking on a million dollars, or something.

LAY-ZX
Nov 10, 2009

alcharagia posted:

Always remember that only one person in that entire group was smart enough to figure out 11037.

With things like this it's easy to forget when reading the translated game, but the characters are Japanese. Likely most of them don't even know English, let alone being able to read it upside-down.

Robindaybird
Aug 21, 2007

Neat. Sweet. Petite.

LAY-ZX posted:

With things like this it's easy to forget when reading the translated game, but the characters are Japanese. Likely most of them don't even know English, let alone being able to read it upside-down.

from my recollection from the original LP even the Japanese players were mad at how obvious it was - they may not be fluent, but English is a very common subject in a lot of schools.

I feel like while the DR2 cast is overall *smarter* in terms of figuring out the mysteries - with DR1 Hagakure was dead weight and I don't recall Hifumi or Mondo contributing much if anything while they were alive and the cast are more prone to go off on wild goose chases - the DR2 kids just seem to have a lower sense of situational awareness.

Overall I say it's a mixed bag.

Robindaybird fucked around with this message at 06:22 on Dec 4, 2017

Kinu Nishimura
Apr 24, 2008

SICK LOOT!

Hobgoblin2099 posted:

Hey, Chihiro did things, too. :(

And I just finished replaying DR1, too. You're right. Chihiro did do things. He was actually the most competent character, which is probably why he's one of my favorites. :v:

Solitair
Feb 18, 2014

TODAY'S GONNA BE A GOOD MOTHERFUCKIN' DAY!!!
I should try replaying the first game sometime. I just finished V3, so I have to occupy myself until someone makes an LP of that one and I can talk about it ITT.

Insertnamehere31
Jan 23, 2012

This could be the most one-sided fight since 1973 when Ali faced an eighty-foot tall mechanical Joe Frazier. My memory isn't what it used to be, but I think the entire Earth was destroyed.

So uh, are we just gonna ignore the giant gently caress-off bomb sitting on the central island with a running countdown as a possibility here?

Stabbey_the_Clown
Sep 21, 2002

Are... are you quite sure you really want to say that?
Taco Defender

Insertnamehere31 posted:

So uh, are we just gonna ignore the giant gently caress-off bomb sitting on the central island with a running countdown as a possibility here?

Hmmm... well, Togami did at one point make the good argument that it probably wasn't a bomb, and I did agree with that because the point of the game is for the students to make the choice between living peacefully in confinement forever or killing to escape... but that was before Monobear just flat out violated that by locking them in a house to starve to death, so clearly they aren't operating on the same twisted morality.

FPzero
Oct 20, 2008

Game Over
Return of Mido

I'm in charge of searching the 4th island. I should search every nook and cranny...

: According to Nagito...the bombs have enough power to easily wipe out this entire island. Then it's probably not very small. I'll definitely find it!

: I guess they could be here?

: Wait a sec, the door is open...

: The door's open...?

Looks like I can go inside, but...

: It's possible that the bombs were hidden in here...
: All right, let's go...!

: How should I describe this place...? It's so cloyingly cute that I feel like I'm going to be sick.

: Kyaaaaaaah!?
: Why...why is Hajime in my house!?
: ...The door was wide open.
: Ha-wa-wa!?

As soon as she heard that, Monomi waddled to the door and...

: Kyaaaah! It's broken! My security system is broken! The robber probably did it!

: No...a robber is no excuse... A female teacher with a young boy student in her house...is just inappropriate!
: Aaaaaah! I've been splattered with disgrace!

Jeez, she's noisy...

: Wow this place is pink. Hey, wait a second, why would Monomi have a monitor and surveillance camera in her house?

It's the monitor that Monokuma uses for his announcements. If this is here...is Monomi forced to see his broadcasts, too? If they're really allies, they wouldn't need to bother with something like that.

So there's a surveillance camera here, too... Is Monomi being monitored by Monokuma, too? Then that would mean they're not allies... I guess it's just as Chiaki said...

: Let's have a look at the rest of Monomi's things.

: What the heck is this...?

Monomi plushies...on hangers?

: Kyaaah! Don't go touching my things without permission! They're important!
: Your own plushies? You must love yourself...just like Monokuma.
: Y-You're wrong! Please don't compare me to that thing!
: Y-You don't have enough delicacy... Entering a woman's house without her permission, and touching her things...makes your teacher very sad...
: This will not be allowed! Hajime needs a class in morality!

Delicacy and morality...? I don't think those things have anything to do with each other...

: I shall give you a special, private lesson after school. Miss Monomi will slowly and thoroughly give you a good teachi--
: Ha-wa-wa!? Th-That sounds really inappropriate!?
: Ahhhh! Once again, I've been splattered with disgrace! Such a sticky and gooey disgrace!
: ...You're the one who started saying it.

: Aaaaaah! I've been splattered with disgrace! Such sticky disgrace!
: So anyway, you said something about a robber... Are you talking about Monokuma?
: Monokuma wouldn't do something as cheap as breaking the lock... Ever since he took over my power, he can do anything he wants on this island as long as he wills it...

Power...? Will...? You're always so melodramatic...

: But if it wasn't Monokuma...does that mean the robber is one of us?

: I-I'm not doubting my students or anything...but my important thing was definitely stolen...
: What's your important thing anyway?
: My treasure box!

...I don't think any of us would steal Monomi's treasure box... But if someone did, why would they steal it in the first place?

: ...Can you let me know if you find my treasure?
: It's a magnificent treasure box covered in sparkling pink lights!
: Well, if I come across it...

Are these...monitors? They're not displaying anything right now, but why are there so many...?

: Are you monitoring us with these...!?
: *G-Gasp!*
: So...I was right...

: The surveillance cameras all over the island...and the footage those cameras are recording... You were watching that footage on these monitors... You were monitoring us, weren't you?
: I was...until Monokuma appeared.

: I no longer have my Magic Stick, and because of that, Monokuma stole all my powers... So...I don't have the authority to monitor everyone anymore. These monitors are useless.
: Huh? What does that stick have to do with the surveillance cameras?
: A-Anyway...I can't monitor everyone anymore...!
: I have no other way of following your movements unless I rely on these somewhat nifty ears...
: I don't really understand, but...does that mean Monokuma has been watching us from those surveillance cameras?

: No...it's probably not him either... In his current state, he shouldn't even need to use those cameras. His power keeps increasing beyond my expectations... He's surpassed any standard of measuring it.
: Hey...stop talking about stuff that doesn't make any sense. Who's watching those surveillance cameras?
: They probably only matter to...the outside?

...Outside?

: Do you mean...the group that's controlling you and Monokuma? I see...so the people outside the island are watching the footage captured by the surveillance cameras, and...
: Well, let's just brush that whole thing aside!
: There's no way I can do that!

: But...I can't say...
: Hey...

Is she trying to cover it up by crying...? That's exactly what Monokuma does. Just as I thought, I can't trust her at all.

: All righty, that's enough of your questions! Now it's my turn to question you!
: ...Me?
: Why did you suddenly come to the amusement park? It's strange that you're walking around alone. Did something...happen?
: Something...*did* happen.
: Huh?

That's right... I don't have time to waste at a place like this!

: Hey, I need to ask you an important question! Do you know where they are? Somewhere on Jabberwock Island, Nagito--

: Why hello there, Monomi! Wanna play with your big brother!?
: Monokuma?
: Wh-What's with your sudden invitation? We've never played before...
: C'mon, everyone's busy. You shouldn't interfere...

: ...SO HURRY UP AND COME PLAY WITH ME!
: Aaaaaaah! M-My eaaars! Please don't pull my ears!
: I'll let you students handle the rest! Do your best! *both leave*

: He always interferes whenever we're discussing something important... I guess he really is monitoring us...

No... Now's not the time to complain. I should get back to searching for the bombs. I shouldn't waste any more time!

I leapt out of the Monomi House and returned to searching for the bombs.

: No bombs at Monomi's house, so we have to keep looking.

: Maybe in here again?

: The bombs shouldn't be small. If I find them, it should be really obvious...

: Dammit... Looks like there's nothing in here.

: Dammit...I don't see the friggin' bombs anywhere...!

Nothing good will come from rushing... I should try looking somewhere else...!

: Maybe in the coaster cars?

: It's no use... There's nothing suspicious here either...

: Hajime...! ...I-I found them!
: You found them...?
: Yeah, a poo poo-ton of bombs were piled on top of each other...! God drat...! I didn't expect to find actual bombs!
: Wh-Where'd you find them!?

: Near that stupid factory where the life-size Monokuma plushies are made...
: The Plushie Factory...got it!
: I'll go tell Kazuichi and Akane. Can you tell Sonia and Chiaki?
: Yeah, got it...!
: ...We'll meet in front of the bombs later! *leaves*

Meet...in front of the bombs... But what's going to happen after that? Will we be able to stop them? No...there's no point in thinking about that right now. I need to tell Sonia and Chiaki about the bombs first...

: Sonia should be at the central island, and Chiaki should be at the 3rd island...!

: Sonia should be here on the central island...!

But the only place on this island where bombs could probably be hidden is Jabberwock Park...

: If that's the case...maybe Sonia is searching there?

Huh, that's weird... I don't see her anywhere...

: Heeeey Sonia!

???: I'm right heeeeeeeeere!

: Juuuuust kidding! It's only me!
: Hajime used Call Sonia. But nothing happened.

: Because...she's already done to a faraway place...
: Juuuuust kidding! If you're looking for Sonia, she was walking around near the military base! *leaves*

The military base... The one on the final island? Did she already hear about the bombs? Is that why she went to the final island?

But...even so, there's no reason for her to be at the military base... Because...the bombs were found at the Plushie Factory...

: I don't really understand but...I'll head over there after I talk to Chiaki.

Maybe...she went to the base on her own without knowing anything about the bombs.

: Chiaki should be at the 3rd island... All right, let's go.

Hm? Near the music venue...is that...?

: ...It is! It's Chiaki!

: ...Chiaki! I've been looking for you!

: ...What happened?
: Don't respond so slowly! It's the bombs! We found the bombs! Hurry over to the Plushie Factory!
: Hey, are you listening...? This is no time to space out!
: Ah, you're right...the bombs are bad, right? We gotta go to the Plushie Factory. I'll head over. *leaves*

At least be a little more nervous. Even in a situation like this, she moves at a snail's pace.

: All right...I should hurry over to the final island and meet up with Sonia at the military base!

Before I go to the Plushie Factory, I need to meet up with Sonia at the military base first!

Sonia! There she is! What...is she doing in a place like this?

*Rustle...rustle...*

Looks like Sonia is digging around the back of that truck...

: Hey, what are you doing...?

: Ahhhhhhhhhh!
: H-Hajime...! Please do not startle me!
: Phew... I thought my heart was going to explode.

Explode...?

: A-Anyway...what are you doing here? Weren't you searching the central island?

: I was, but...there was something I needed to confirm here...
: Never mind that for now...we found them!

: What did you find?
: The bombs, obviously! They found the bombs at the Plushie Factory!
: Huh? The bombs are at the factory?
: Let's hurry over to the Plushie Factory! The others should already he there, too!
: Hey, what are you stalling for!? If we don't hurry, it'll be too late!

: Y-You are right...I understand... I shall make my way there shortly, so please go on without me.

: It is going to be fine! I will catch up with you soon!
: G-Got it...then I'll start heading over.

I don't know what Sonia wants to do, but there's no time to argue about it. I left Sonia for now and decided to go to the Plushie Factory first.

But why is she even at the military base?

...I can just ask her later.

: Anyway, the bombs are the biggest priority! I should hurry over to the Plushie Factory!

: Next time, I don't even know what might happen...

FPzero fucked around with this message at 19:30 on Dec 6, 2017

Zoe
Jan 19, 2007
Hair Elf
Sonia apparently the only one that clicked that a bunch of military stuff and a bunch of bombs might have something to do with each other.

Blademaster_Aio
Jan 22, 2017

Monomi does NOT help her case.

At all.

Which is sad, because she's obviously not on Monokuma's side.

And anyway, time for the grand finale I guess? What are we even going to do with the bombs? How will we defuse them?

EponymousMrYar
Jan 4, 2015

The enemy of my enemy is my enemy.

Blademaster_Aio posted:

What are we even going to do with the bombs? How will we defuse them?

I think Sonia's getting the solution to that right now.

timp
Sep 19, 2007

Everything is in my control
Lipstick Apathy
Can't help but feel like maybe the super obvious looking bombs that Fuyohiko found are a decoy, or maybe a trap...

Thesaya
May 17, 2011

I am a Plant.
FP, you had a typo in this update.

"Monomi plushies...on hangars?"

(*Hangers, which I am sure you already knew)

FPzero
Oct 20, 2008

Game Over
Return of Mido

Thesaya posted:

FP, you had a typo in this update.

"Monomi plushies...on hangars?"

(*Hangers, which I am sure you already knew)

It's probably a typo in the game's script. A lot of times I'll fix typos as I go but sometimes they pass right by me. And believe me, there are a lot of typos that you all aren't seeing. "Embarassed" (one R) and "ambience" (should be ambiance) are constant throughout the script and sometimes whole words are left out, though your brain often fills them in. It's really surprising though. It's like they never ran a simple spell check over the whole thing and had no one edit. I've also noticed a ton of similar phrasing being used throughout such as the phrase "In actuality" and using "ambiance" for a lot of things aren't words or phrases you hear a lot but the game throws out really often. I get that the localization was rushed but some of this stuff is really noticeable since I have to do a close read of the script as I make the updates.

Doc Hawkins
Jun 15, 2010

Dashing? But I'm not even moving!

FPzero posted:

: Because...she's already done to a faraway place...

"Gone," I assume.

Does anyone know what game (I also assume) this is a reference to?

Cyouni
Sep 30, 2014

without love it cannot be seen

FPzero posted:

It's probably a typo in the game's script. A lot of times I'll fix typos as I go but sometimes they pass right by me. And believe me, there are a lot of typos that you all aren't seeing. "Embarassed" (one R) and "ambience" (should be ambiance) are constant throughout the script and sometimes whole words are left out, though your brain often fills them in. It's really surprising though. It's like they never ran a simple spell check over the whole thing and had no one edit. I've also noticed a ton of similar phrasing being used throughout such as the phrase "In actuality" and using "ambiance" for a lot of things aren't words or phrases you hear a lot but the game throws out really often. I get that the localization was rushed but some of this stuff is really noticeable since I have to do a close read of the script as I make the updates.

I was curious so I checked - ambience is also a valid way of spelling it.

MegaZeroX
Dec 11, 2013

"I'm Jack Frost, ho! Nice to meet ya, hee ho!"

Cyouni posted:

I was curious so I checked - ambience is also a valid way of spelling it.

Yeah, Google even suggests it is more common.

Grammar.com posted:

Ambience and ambiance are different spellings of the same word, referring to the special atmosphere or mood of a particular environment. While some dictionaries list ambiance as the standard spelling, ambience is far more common in all main 21st-century varieties of English.

FPzero
Oct 20, 2008

Game Over
Return of Mido

Then I guess both I and Chrome's built-in spellchecker are old-fashioned! Doesn't help that the word is pronounced (at least in the game) as if has the extra A in it. But now I know better!

Doc Hawkins posted:

"Gone," I assume.

Yeah I write many of these updates past midnight before going to bed and I miss a lot of these misspellings that a spellchecker won't pick up. I appreciate when you all point them out though because I'm more than willing to go back and fix errors in my transcription.

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~
This is nothing, DRV3 launched with a typo in the intro cinematic

Selane
May 19, 2006

Didn't that not actually happen? I think there were some typos in the demo, but as far as I know they fixed them before release. Or maybe I'm remembering incorrectly, I don't know.

FPzero
Oct 20, 2008

Game Over
Return of Mido

I heard that it did but I didn't notice it and never went back to check it myself. I do remember Fedule messaging me about it in disbelief though. I wonder if localization companies can't rely on traditional spellchecking methods for their scripts because of all the Japanese names and other game words that a spellchecker won't understand. But even then, it's surprising no one caught this intro typo. Maybe when you read the intro enough you just don't even see it anymore.

Or "something something NISA bad at their jobs" if we want to go that route.

GuyUpNorth
Apr 29, 2014

Witty phrases on random basis
You'd think NISA has competent translators with agreed-upon romanization, if they use in-house team. If not? Anything goes I guess.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Stroth
Mar 31, 2007

All Problems Solved

GuyUpNorth posted:

You'd think NISA has competent translators with agreed-upon romanization, if they use in-house team. If not? Anything goes I guess.

NISA is the translation team. They're the american branch of Nippon Ichi Software and they don't do anything but translate and market japanese games for companies that aren't multinational. The Danganronpa games were made by Spike Chunsoft.

• Locked thread