Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
esperterra
Mar 24, 2010

SHINee's back

Age of Youth 2 started last month. Anyone know if there's groups subbing it, or do I have to wait for Netflix to pick it up once it finishes airing?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Koramei
Nov 11, 2011

I have three regrets
The first is to be born in Joseon.
I haven't actually gotten around to watching it myself yet, but I think it's all here: http://dramafire.com/category/korean-dramas/age-of-youth-2017/

still kinda bummed they swapped out half the actresses but the ratings look decent

esperterra
Mar 24, 2010

SHINee's back

Isn't everyone back full time but Kang, who we'll see a bit of anyway? Or do you mean they recast some of the four remaining girls?

Either way I'm hype. Thanks for the link!

Fight! For your kite!
Jul 29, 2008
I'm not expecting much but all the 2017 Chuseok Specials look to be repeats or dead concepts. Street king looks to be the most interesting.

EvilElmo
May 10, 2009

Fight! For your kite! posted:

I'm not expecting much but all the 2017 Chuseok Specials look to be repeats or dead concepts. Street king looks to be the most interesting.

KBS2 Swan Club (백조클럽) [2 episodes back to back]
MC: Seo Jang-hoon
Cast: Seo Jung-hee, Oh Yoon-ah, Kim Sung-eun, Hwan Ji-won, Cheng Xiao (WJSN)
The cast will communicate and heal through ballet.
Rating: TBA (8 PM)

Why wouldn't you want to watch this?

Jamesman
Nov 19, 2004

"First off, let me start by saying curly light blond hair does not suit Hyomin at all. Furthermore,"
Fun Shoe
I miss the dance battles they used to do for Chuseok and Lunar New Year. They were so fun.

Speaking of dancing, Hit the Stage was a really neat concept and I want another season of that.

Koramei
Nov 11, 2011

I have three regrets
I just finished Reply 1988 per this thread's recommendation. I really liked it, except when they suddenly jolted forward five years. It kinda made sense after I'd watched through it, and they didn't actually abruptly cut off half the plot threads like I thought they'd done at first, but it made me lose interest in finishing it for a couple of weeks. The last episode especially was really really good though, although ending with Deok-seon casually reminding us that all their parents, who we'd grown to love over the course of the series, were old and frail now was pretty loving cruel. Kinda fits with the theme of the series though I guess.

I've been trying to get into 1994 now but I'm not finding it has the same charm, 1988 was really a cut above most dramas. Hopefully there'll be another one before too long.

esperterra posted:

Isn't everyone back full time but Kang, who we'll see a bit of anyway? Or do you mean they recast some of the four remaining girls?

Either way I'm hype. Thanks for the link!

Yoo Eun-jae, the main girl, got replaced as well. I've pretty much only heard great things about it though. Anyone know if it's gonna hit one of the major streaming services at all? It seems weird it's only on the kinda sketchy websites considering how major it is.

esperterra
Mar 24, 2010

SHINee's back

I'm assuming it will hit Netflix once the whole season is out, that's where I watched the first. I've been holding off on the temptation to watch some of the fansubs.

Shame about them replacing the main girl, she was good, but of the girls left living in the boarding house she's the only one I think won't suffer from having a new actress. The other three would imo.

e: as someone working through 1994 slowly and loving loving it, I'm glad to hear 1988 is a cut above. I might watch that one before 1997 now, if only because the brief cameo the 1997 cast has in 1994 didn't endear me to any of them.

qbert
Oct 23, 2003

It's both thrilling and terrifying.

Secx posted:

I just binge-watched all four seasons of New Journey to the West in a couple of weeks.

I haven't watched season 1 and 2 of 1N2D, but the chemistry of the group in season 1 of NJTTW is incredible. Season 2 was the low point with Seung Gi leaving and Ahn Jae Hyun being new to variety. I was actually afraid he'd turn into a Kwang Hee, but he redeemed himself and season 3/4 are some of the best variety I've ever seen. Rivaling the golden years of Running Man and season 3 of 1N2D.

Na PD is a genius.

I started watching this show with Season 4 and enjoyed it a lot. For some reason I've been working backwards and watched Season 3 next, which was also great.

I haven't been able to find Season 1 online though, was curious how you watched it. I think the V Live app restricts US residents from watching the show.

Fight! For your kite!
Jul 29, 2008
https://www.google.com/amp/s/amp.reddit.com/r/koreanvariety/comments/3jmh6y/new_journey_to_the_west_eng_sub/

Seems to work. I only watched the first episode so I can't comment on the quality of the subs.

Beyond the concept issue, I wish the networks would be more open to new blood. They seem uneasy to try anyone new and would rather poach anyone with a pulse on the other networks. I don't hate Min Kyung Hoon, but he's a spot player at best. Why not try an old gagman or a silly idol?

2 Days & 1 Night are doing a two part Invincible Youth special. Narsha, KSY, and Hara join the cast as they revisit Yuchi-ri. A perfect companion piece to enjoy with SNSD disbanding.

Fight! For your kite! fucked around with this message at 19:28 on Oct 9, 2017

Secx
Mar 1, 2003

Hippopotamus retardus

qbert posted:

I started watching this show with Season 4 and enjoyed it a lot. For some reason I've been working backwards and watched Season 3 next, which was also great.

I haven't been able to find Season 1 online though, was curious how you watched it. I think the V Live app restricts US residents from watching the show.

PM'ed you a link since I wasn't sure about :files:

Season 1 is 23 episodes, but they're very short. Like 10 min short.

Season 3 was definitely my favourite. Season 2 starts a bit slow since Ahn Jae Hyun was new, but the second half is pretty good.

EvilElmo
May 10, 2009

EvilElmo posted:

KBS2 Swan Club (백조클럽) [2 episodes back to back]
MC: Seo Jang-hoon
Cast: Seo Jung-hee, Oh Yoon-ah, Kim Sung-eun, Hwan Ji-won, Cheng Xiao (WJSN)
The cast will communicate and heal through ballet.
Rating: TBA (8 PM)

Why wouldn't you want to watch this?

Ok I watched this. It was meh. It had a weird casting. One girl with 18 years experience being a ballet dancer, another was a current idol, one was an old lady. Didn't really work IMO.

quote:

SBS The Traveler's Guide to My Room (내 방 안내서) [2 episodes back to back]
Son Yeon-jae (rhythmic gymnast) + Nikita Klæstrup (Danish political commentar / model)
Park Na-rae (comedian) + Scoop DeVille (American rapper / producer) + Salam Wreck (American hip-hop producer)
Haemin (buddhist monk) + ZAZI (Dutch female pop-folk band)
Park Shin-yang (actor) + Francesca Llopis (Spanish artist)
Korean stars trade houses with their international counterparts for 5 days, experiencing each other's countries and lifestyles.
Rating: 4.1%, 4.2% (~11 PM)
Watched episode 1 of this. It was ok. The American guys were kind of annoying and giving Nikita air time isn't a great thing though.

Koramei
Nov 11, 2011

I have three regrets
I'm getting more into Reply 1994 now but did it have to have a heartfelt moment with a doctor bringing his patient to tears about how she's got terminal cancer with the he-man heyeyey song blaring up in the background, Jesus Christ.

EvilElmo
May 10, 2009

Koramei posted:

I'm getting more into Reply 1994 now but did it have to have a heartfelt moment with a doctor bringing his patient to tears about how she's got terminal cancer with the he-man heyeyey song blaring up in the background, Jesus Christ.

1994 annoyed me.

My Daughter's Men is pretty funny. Dads watch their daughters go on dates (everyone knows they're being filmed), it's pretty funny. Good casting.

Fight! For your kite!
Jul 29, 2008
The Happy Together Sing my Song segments are fun.They gather four artists with somewhat of a loose theme at a karaoke ; once your song is sung you can go home. The initial setup runs a bit long and the PR talk is a bit dry but it quickly becomes an issue of pride as the night carries on.

The episode with IOI has a great Ji Sukjin moment.

I like Super Junior's new song more than Twice's.

Secx
Mar 1, 2003

Hippopotamus retardus
RIP Gutaeng hyung (Kim Joo Hyuk). Looks like a heart attack while driving.

His girlfriend/fiancee was in middle of filming Running Man when she learned the news too. I can't see them airing the episode after this.

https://www.soompi.com/2017/10/30/running-man-filming-halts-kim-joo-hyuks-girlfriend-lee-yoo-young-learns-passing/

I think they mentioned him on the 10 year anniversary episode of 1N2D that recently aired as well, right before his accident.

westborn
Feb 25, 2010

Secx posted:

I think they mentioned him on the 10 year anniversary episode of 1N2D that recently aired as well, right before his accident.

Not only that, due to the ongoing strikes at MBC the latest episode was just a rerun of the "best trip" voted by the viewers, the one where they help out old ladies in a village, with Joo Hyuk still as a member - and it was only the first part of that trip.

RIP Joo Hyuk
"Remember this Member"

Jamesman
Nov 19, 2004

"First off, let me start by saying curly light blond hair does not suit Hyomin at all. Furthermore,"
Fun Shoe
Hong Jin Young is now on Twitch. At the time of this post, she is on right now playing some PUBG and it's wonderful. :allears:

https://www.twitch.tv/ssambahong

Koramei
Nov 11, 2011

I have three regrets
what the hell

Jamesman
Nov 19, 2004

Fun Shoe

Koramei posted:

what the hell

Trot singers like video games, it turns out.

Plus I guess she's making some reasonable money from it.

qbert
Oct 23, 2003

It's both thrilling and terrifying.
I'm watching it now and...they might win?

Edit: Wow, their team made it to #2.

Fight! For your kite!
Jul 29, 2008
Jamesman, I know you were watching Sister's Slam Dunk and presume that's where you grew fond of HJY, but I am curious on your thoughts in relation to Minzy and her comments regarding the group dynamic in 2NE1.

Jamesman
Nov 19, 2004

Fun Shoe

Fight! For your kite! posted:

Jamesman, I know you were watching Sister's Slam Dunk and presume that's where you grew fond of HJY, but I am curious on your thoughts in relation to Minzy and her comments regarding the group dynamic in 2NE1.

I actually grew fond of Hong Jin Young from when she was on Strong Heart early in her debut, and when I would see her guest on Running Man. She's just very unconventional compared to how other Korean celebrities behave, and it's very charming to me. I actually haven't gotten to Slam Dunk 2 yet so I haven't seen her or Minzy from there yet.

Fight! For your kite!
Jul 29, 2008
I dropped S1 pretty quickly, around the time they were overglossing JYP. The scope was way too big for a cast of mostly variety rookies.

S2 gets dry pretty quickly but the well-worn territory and an easy-going cast makes it good variety to comfort watch.

Jamesman
Nov 19, 2004

Fun Shoe
I'm stuck on Hong Jin Kyung's arc in the first season because it's really, really slow and not much fun. Informative and insightful, sure, but not good variety. I've been spacing out my watches very far apart.

futurememory
Oct 22, 2011

"You're a bad man! You're a VERY bad man!"
What are the must-watch k-variety shows based around idols? I’ve watched a bunch of Weekly Idol and Knowing Bros., was wondering if there’s anything else I should be branching out to.

Also, Battle Trip is pretty fun.

westborn
Feb 25, 2010

futurememory posted:

What are the must-watch k-variety shows based around idols?

The must-watch would be Invincible Youth, Season 1.

Are there any specific idols you want to see? There's very little "mixed cast" stuff that has mainly idols, but a lot of group specific shows. Most groups have their own "realities" or streaming "varieties".
"One fine day" sends groups on holidays, "Heroes" has a few fixed idols and was pretty good, "After School Club" is another (rather cringy) music talk-show, "Master Key" has a lot of idols but isn't very good.
You could also watch the last few years of the annual "Idol Star Athletics Championships" or look for "Let's go Dream Team", "Happy Together" or "Law of the Jungle" episodes with idols you like.

esperterra
Mar 24, 2010

SHINee's back

Age of Youth/Hello My Twenties S2 hitting Netflix on the 18th.

In Canadia anyway.

futurememory
Oct 22, 2011

"You're a bad man! You're a VERY bad man!"

westborn posted:

The must-watch would be Invincible Youth, Season 1.

Are there any specific idols you want to see? There's very little "mixed cast" stuff that has mainly idols, but a lot of group specific shows. Most groups have their own "realities" or streaming "varieties".
"One fine day" sends groups on holidays, "Heroes" has a few fixed idols and was pretty good, "After School Club" is another (rather cringy) music talk-show, "Master Key" has a lot of idols but isn't very good.
You could also watch the last few years of the annual "Idol Star Athletics Championships" or look for "Let's go Dream Team", "Happy Together" or "Law of the Jungle" episodes with idols you like.

Thanks for the recs! I’ll pretty much watch whoever is popular - been binging mostly on Twice and BTS stuff, but the Knowing Bros. episode with Super Junior that just aired was pretty hilarious.

TV Zombie
Sep 6, 2011

Burying all the trauma from past nights
Burying my anger in the past

Is Sister's Slam Dunk Season 2 subbed/streaming anywhere?

Koramei
Nov 11, 2011

I have three regrets

esperterra posted:

Age of Youth/Hello My Twenties S2 hitting Netflix on the 18th.

In Canadia anyway.

looks like it's in the US too. about time, I've been holding off on that until it was but I've heard it's supposed to be really good.

esperterra
Mar 24, 2010

SHINee's back

Koramei posted:

looks like it's in the US too. about time, I've been holding off on that until it was but I've heard it's supposed to be really good.

Yeah, I started watching some fansub before telling myself to just wait so I can binge it all like I did S1.

Timing's perfect. Gives me something to watch when I'm home for Christmas.

Koramei
Nov 11, 2011

I have three regrets
Has there been any more word on that kdrama Netflix is supposed to be producing, incidentally?

unrelatedly, I watched Go Back Couple. I mostly liked it but it felt kinda discordant; half of it was standard Kdrama super lightheartedness, but then the other half was a mother and father having been ripped from their child to be flung into their past selves, and it couldn't seem to make up its mind whether that was a major plot point or just something we should be forgetting about so the leads could have their moment to moment hi-jinks. Aside from that though it was pretty fun, and there were a few genuinely heart wrenching scenes when they did seem to remember the elephant in the room, especially with Jang Nara's character and her mother.

westborn
Feb 25, 2010

Koramei posted:

Has there been any more word on that kdrama Netflix is supposed to be producing, incidentally?
I haven't heard of them producing a kdrama, but their variety show seems to be coming together well, with the cast potentially including Yoo JaeSuk, Lee KwangSoo, Kim JongMin and Sejeong.

futurememory posted:

Thanks for the recs! I’ll pretty much watch whoever is popular - been binging mostly on Twice and BTS stuff, but the Knowing Bros. episode with Super Junior that just aired was pretty hilarious.

If you haven't watched them yet, I'd recommend Twice TV 5 & 6 (both available with subs on their vlive channel) and their episodes on Carefree Travelers for Twice. I find most of them usually rather lacking as guests on variety, but that travel focused stuff as a group definitely has its moments.

As for other current groups, EXID's Showtime was fun & I personally enjoy WJSN/Cosmic Girls a lot. Their first show was pretty good (apart from one annoying gmmick I'm not going to mention) and their new vlive variety is pretty fun so far, too.

Fight! For your kite!
Jul 29, 2008

TV Zombie posted:

Is Sister's Slam Dunk Season 2 subbed/streaming anywhere?

I watched it on KBS World's YouTube.

I tried watching Heroes a few years ago, but the subs were of low quality. Do they get better as the series goes on?

EvilElmo
May 10, 2009
Prison Playbook (on Netflix) any good?

Jamesman
Nov 19, 2004

Fun Shoe
Well holy poo poo. Waking up to read that SHINee's Jonghyun committed suicide.

He'd actually been pretty active lately. He just held a solo concert and filmed for a variety show. :(

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

If only all of life's problems could be solved by smoking a professor of ancient evil texts.

Bread Liar
Just saw that myself.

The police say they found burned coal nearby, so I'm guessing carbon monoxide?

Jamesman
Nov 19, 2004

Fun Shoe
Yeah that's the current belief. He burned charcoal in a pan.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

esperterra
Mar 24, 2010

SHINee's back

Jamesman posted:

Well holy poo poo. Waking up to read that SHINee's Jonghyun committed suicide.

He'd actually been pretty active lately. He just held a solo concert and filmed for a variety show. :(

poo poo.

• Locked thread