Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

anime was right
Jun 27, 2008

death is certain
keep yr cool

Jack Trades posted:

Totally. We all know that it's impossible for two people to independently reach the same opinion.

its literally all you did in the sfv thread and why no one likes you

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

absolutely anything
Dec 28, 2006

~As for dreams, she has enough and more to spare~
[guy who does 360s with an s motion that nobody likes voice] yes, truly odd how i would hold such a wise opinion :rolleyes:

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

I mean, that's a nice attempt at a burn and everything but if you've got an easier way to do 360 motions on a keyboard than just two quarter circles, I'd love to hear it. I haven't found any.

mango sentinel
Jan 5, 2001

by sebmojo

absolutely anything posted:

[guy who does 360s with an s motion that nobody likes voice] yes, truly odd how i would hold such a wise opinion :rolleyes:

64128 is the optimal 360 motion

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

mango sentinel posted:

Yeah minimize and postpone the jump directions as much as possible is what always worked for me

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

mango sentinel posted:

Actually it's a 360 and then walk away

DoubleDonut
Oct 22, 2010

Fallen Rib
I always forget if you start a 360 with 6 or 4 and that's why I never play 360 characters

Poniard
Apr 3, 2011

Noone plays 360 characters, everyone plays ps4 or pc ones.

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

Poniard posted:

Noone plays 360 characters, everyone plays ps4 or pc ones.

I heard switch characters have some appeal because of their dual stances.

DoubleDonut posted:

I always forget if you start a 360 with 6 or 4 and that's why I never play 360 characters

Hardcore players start 360 motions with an 8 and complete them before their pre-jump frames run out.

bebaloorpabopalo
Nov 23, 2005

I'm not interested in constructive criticism, believe me.

Shiki Dan posted:

Worse than Slammasters in SF: The Movie or giving every move in Alpha 3 infinite juggle properties and then tying recovery to your opponent's neutral state?

I don't know enough about SF: The Movie The Game but the name Slammasters alone makes it a better mechanic and I guess I should've clarified in regard to how neutral is played but I guess that still leaves SF3 parries open as a huge subjective option.

Sirlin answer: Alpha 3 was the first Street Fighter game with 2 button throws, obviously the worst mechanic ever conceived.

punk rebel ecks
Dec 11, 2010

A shitty post? This calls for a dance of deduction.
I typically had trouble with 360 moves, until I realized it is all in when you press the corresponding button. Just press the button when you are at the "up" motion and it always comes out as it stops you from jumping.

Gutcruncher
Apr 16, 2005

Go home and be a family man!
Can anyone tell me why the hell SFV doesn’t auto update like any other steam game? What the gently caress

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

Gutcruncher posted:

Can anyone tell me why the hell SFV doesn’t auto update like any other steam game? What the gently caress

Onlynetworkprogrammerforcfnlinkedinprofile.jpg

MohShuvuu
Aug 26, 2010

I eat ass.
it's to save you from redownloading 5gb for every update

Fruitsnacks
Oct 28, 2007

yo mamma a Horus posted:

use whatever grip feels comfortable to you!

one thing that may not be immediately apparent is there is a minimum height you can iad from, on the way up.

your problem may be you are doing it too fast!

try i-no in training mode against a potemkin set to block, put him in the corner and try to do iad KSH. if you are doing it low enough he will block all the hits, if you are too high the S will probably miss
The "minimum height" for IADs doesn't mean you have to manually delay your air dash input until your character reaches a certain height. What it really means is that your character will not dash any lower than a certain height if you begin the air dash from the ground. So if you input 956 from the ground and the 6 happens before you reach the minimum height then the air dash will automatically begin once your character reaches the minimum height. A properly done IAD is basically buffering the air dash from the ground.

Shiki Dan
Oct 27, 2010

If ya can move ya toes ya back's fine

bebaloorpabopalo posted:

I don't know enough about SF: The Movie The Game but the name Slammasters alone makes it a better mechanic and I guess I should've clarified in regard to how neutral is played but I guess that still leaves SF3 parries open as a huge subjective option.

Sirlin answer: Alpha 3 was the first Street Fighter game with 2 button throws, obviously the worst mechanic ever conceived.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mnCHbfdldb8#t=0m48s

Anyway Crush Counters in SFV are pretty bad but I'd argue that it's more due to their implementation rather than the idea.
In a game with decent walkspeeeds, good pokes, and fast/open gameplay they could be good.

anime was right
Jun 27, 2008

death is certain
keep yr cool

Shiki Dan posted:

Anyway Crush Counters in SFV are pretty bad but I'd argue that it's more due to their implementation rather than the idea.
In a game with decent walkspeeeds, good pokes, and fast/open gameplay they could be good.

i hesitate to call blazbzlue "good" but it sure as hell is an improvement i agree.

anime was right
Jun 27, 2008

death is certain
keep yr cool
im not fixing that typo

Pomp
Apr 3, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
if you can't do a standing 360 without doing some dumb bullshit motion then you are weak and will not survive the trumpenreich

Reiley
Dec 16, 2007

Shiki Dan posted:

What a life to live, to be both Gomez Addams and a man who posed for videogame sprites.

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004

Reiley posted:

What a life to live, to be both Gomez Addams and a man who posed for videogame sprites.
I'm pretty sure I remember hearing that Bison's sprites were of Raul's stunt double since, you know, the whole cancer thing.

Zand
Jul 9, 2003

~ i'll take you for a ride ~ ride on a meteorite ~
blade arcus has a demo on steam. if you were wondering how bad it was it's worth playing....

Saoshyant
Oct 26, 2010

:hmmorks: :orks:

MohShuvuu posted:

it's to save you from redownloading 5gb for every update

Plus that one time it came with a rootkit spyware. Accidentally.

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RpdA09ZtzYg

Geese has a unique wall jump

Crocoswine
Aug 20, 2010

this game has walljumps?

Ms. Unsmiley
Feb 13, 2012

everyone except eliza and akuma can walljump, yeah. the command is back back upback against a wall

Spuckuk
Aug 11, 2009

Being a bastard works

That move looks extremely like Shouther from fist of the north star

CharlestonJew
Jul 7, 2011

Illegal Hen

that's so sick

mango sentinel
Jan 5, 2001

by sebmojo

sharrrk posted:

everyone except eliza and akuma can walljump, yeah. the command is back back upback against a wall

They don't do a weird gliding body splash from it.

MechaX
Nov 19, 2011

"Let's be positive! Let's start a fire!"

I... didn't even know the game had wall jumps, but that was pretty sick. Comments are saying it's unblockable too?

anothergod
Apr 11, 2016

bebaloorpabopalo posted:

I've heard 2 button throws were bad from multiple sources, but I never understood why that is.

Zand
Jul 9, 2003

~ i'll take you for a ride ~ ride on a meteorite ~

anothergod posted:

I've heard 2 button throws were bad from multiple sources, but I never understood why that is.

2 button throws tend to lead to kara throws
2 button throws tend to have startup
2 button throws tend to have whiff animations
2 button throws tend to be way too techable
2 button throws can often be teched by option selecting throw techs with attacks

David Sirlin posted:

Next is the 2-button throw, a bad idea in fighting games with 2D gameplay. 3D Fighting games are different beasts, so they are excused here, but note that even Dead or Alive offers a macro to turn its 2 button throw into a 1 button throw...and maps that macro to a face button by default. Anyway, 2 button throws solve a non-problem that no one has ever actually had. That's the problem of accidentally throwing and being sad about it. Street Fighter 2, Guilty Gear series, and Street Fighter Alpha 2 all demonstrated that 1 button throws work just fine and don't actually create any problems. Adding a second button press just adds complexity where it's not necessary, and helps nothing. (Edit: it does add a throw whiff which could be a good thing, but simpler is still better...)

2 button throws in 2d fighters are a good indicator that throws are being intentionally made weak. blocking is generally already a very strong option as it generally wins vs attacking, and its weird to make the counter to blocking weak.

Zand fucked around with this message at 22:02 on Dec 3, 2017

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

Zand posted:

Sirlin: "2 button throws solve a non-problem that no one has ever actually had. That's the problem of accidentally throwing and being sad about it."

Err, what? There are plenty of situations where you could accidentally land a throw and would actually be sad about it.
Even in like ST, if I remember right, there was a Vega combo that would result in a throw and you doing less damage if you were a little bit too close when doing it.
Same poo poo happens in Xrd sometimes too.

Reiley
Dec 16, 2007

I really hate it when I accidentally do a bunch of damage and get an oki setup :sigh:

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!
There's definitely hypothetical situations where you'd get more damage or a better setup from not throwing but it's pretty rare for a throw to be a bad or even mediocre outcome

Pomp
Apr 3, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

Jack Trades posted:

Err, what? There are plenty of situations where you could accidentally land a throw and would actually be sad about it.
Even in like ST, if I remember right, there was a Vega combo that would result in a throw and you doing less damage if you were a little bit too close when doing it.
Same poo poo happens in Xrd sometimes too.

what loving combos are you starting with close range 6h

anime was right
Jun 27, 2008

death is certain
keep yr cool

Zand posted:

2 button throws tend to lead to kara throws
2 button throws tend to have startup
2 button throws tend to have whiff animations
2 button throws tend to be way too techable
2 button throws can often be teched by option selecting throw techs with attacks

2 button throws in 2d fighters are a good indicator that throws are being intentionally made weak. blocking is generally already a very strong option as it generally wins vs attacking, and its weird to make the counter to blocking weak.

all of things are "tend" because they're deliberate choices by the developer.. the only thing that two button throws are bad for is startup and that honestly depends on the style of game ur making.

non-2 button throws are also inherently an option select and you also cannot get close versions of throw buttons on demand which lowers ur available gameplay options

Pomp
Apr 3, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

anime was right posted:

all of things are "tend" because they're deliberate choices by the developer.. the only thing that two button throws are bad for is startup and that honestly depends on the style of game ur making.

non-2 button throws are also inherently an option select and you also cannot get close versions of throw buttons on demand which lowers ur available gameplay options

just hit the button on 5 :confused:

anime was right
Jun 27, 2008

death is certain
keep yr cool

Pomp posted:

just hit the button on 5 :confused:

6h is a move

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

anime was right
Jun 27, 2008

death is certain
keep yr cool
im not strongly in favor of 1 button or 2 button throw if there's a good reason behind it (instant throws are better on a single button, for example, and startup throws are better on 2 buttons) but its the dumbest hill to die on for either side