Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Raenir Salazar
Nov 5, 2010

"According to Wikipedia" there is a black hole that emits zionist hawking radiation where my brain should have been

I really should just shut the fuck up and stop posting forever
College Slice

Sanguinia posted:

Confession to cleanse my soul: I ended up buying THREE 140 quartz packs trying to get Scathach, one of only two Servants in Grand Order I really truly wanted. I came away from all those rolls, plus another 120 I had banked, without a single SSR. I feel hollowed out inside, and when I reflected on it I realized that I spent so much I'd be miserable even if I got her.

I take solace only in the knowledge that I felt such shame I immediately deleted my payment information from my phone, and even considering paying into a system like this again, even Overwatch boxes, is now triggering literal nausea. My god these random loot gambling systems are poison. Whichever EU country is was that's going after Battlefront 2 is doing God's work.

:smith: :hf: :smith:

It's going to be okay, what we spent was small change compared to some people; at least we managed to stop ourselves.

Tbf the issue with loot crates is that they're appearing in AAA titles that cost what a AAA title does, also includes DLC, Microtransactions, and season passes; it's all massive greed ontop of exploitative gambling compulsion mechanics.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry
I'd say that at least thus far, the story/cast has not been the main draw. For me to least that has instead been taking whatever servants that have caught my eye and raising them up and figuring out how to make teams work. Even for interludes of servants I like it has not been what I'd call... substantial. If anything the story content I'm looking forward to at this point is the carnival Phantasm-esque nonsense in events, which don't necessarily require having the involved 4*/5* in question.

Sanguinia
Jan 1, 2012

~Everybody wants to be a cat~
~Because a cat's the only cat~
~Who knows where its at~

Nate RFB posted:

I'd say that at least thus far, the story/cast has not been the main draw. For me to least that has instead been taking whatever servants that have caught my eye and raising them up and figuring out how to make teams work. Even for interludes of servants I like it has not been what I'd call... substantial. If anything the story content I'm looking forward to at this point is the carnival Phantasm-esque nonsense in events, which don't necessarily require having the involved 4*/5* in question.

Fair enough. I was more talking about from a design standpoint: generally the game's challenge level has been low thus far, so the way things are set up in the gameplay loops makes it seem like the thing you're supposed to be looking forward to and coming back for after every round is the story more than anything else.

That being said, I'm probably biased because of how much I loved Okeanos and Orleans as stories (god Septem sucked...) and how happy it makes me that Grand Order makes its narrative more of a primary focus than pretty much any other phone game out there. I also get a lot of pleasure out of the process of raising my Servants and finding unusual strategies in various combinations, so I can see where you're coming from.

Raenir Salazar posted:

:smith: :hf: :smith:

It's going to be okay, what we spent was small change compared to some people; at least we managed to stop ourselves.

Tbf the issue with loot crates is that they're appearing in AAA titles that cost what a AAA title does, also includes DLC, Microtransactions, and season passes; it's all massive greed ontop of exploitative gambling compulsion mechanics.

And yeah, obviously Triple A and other mainstream games using gambling addiction as a supplement on top of all their other exploitative money extraction devices is a bigger deal than a free to play game explicitly made to allow you to beat it without spending a dime in defiance of its competitors which virtually force you to pay to win. Still, having experienced the dark side of even this game's version of it personally, I won't weep if every game that uses anything like this is regulated like gambling.

GhostStalker
Mar 26, 2010

Guys, find a woman who looks at you the way GhostStalker looks at every bald, obese, single 58 year old accountant from Tulsa who managed to win $4,000 by not wagering on a Final Jeopardy triple stumper.

Just got home from seeing the first Heaven's Feel movie in Manhattan earlier tonight. Just glad I decided to check Village East's Fate ticketing page last night to see if there was anything available, and lo and behold, they had added a 7:45 screening since last I checked on top of the 7pm one I knew was happening tonight that was sold out and I was planning on trying to beg tickets to at the box office tonight. The theater was decently packed for the showing I attended, so that was cool as well.

They also added a bunch of showings on weekdays earlier this week after the premiere last Saturday, but I was working AnimeNYC this last weekend (Peter Tatara is good people, the volunteer coordinator was the first one I worked under at New York Comic Con back in 2010, a lot of the Leftfield staff are mostly convention veterans formerly of ReedPop, and the Con really is going places based off how well the first year went) and couldn't go to that (but still got a ton of swag from their Fate GO localization panel and the cosplay meetup Aniplex did at their booth with great shots of both their official cosplayers and fans, but I was unable to afford any of the merch I really wanted to get there that they were selling, or get a roll on their gatcha for 3, 4, and 5 * Servant Cards that they were doing near the end of each con day because I as needed to help clear the Con floor instead), and tonight was the only time I was already in Manhattan anyway, so decided to take a chance to see if I could get in and was not disappointed.

Mapo tofu scene got a ton of laughs, as did the Bar that made him Gar. Oh, and the Saber/Rider "fight". Huge reaction to Lancer's E rank Luck manifesting itself again and it's inevitable conclusion. Loved the opening montage stuff, especially the first time Kuzuki shows up in it to take the picture with Taiga, Shirou, and Sakura. I think I have way too much Grand Order on the brain because during a bunch of the Servant fights, all I could think about was Servant effectiveness affinities, like how Caster should've been able to take down Assassin real quick and all that. Oh, and RIP Regend, the Savior of France, though no one got that when I mentioned it after the movie was over.

Hazdoc
Nov 8, 2012

Muscovy Ducks are a large tropical breed, famous for their lean and extremely flavorful meat.

Hazduck!

~SMcD
Of all the crappy mobile games I've played, F/GO is probably the most amusing. Though its a bit difficult for somebody who knows nothing about Fate to get into, of course.

Nyaa
Jan 7, 2010
Like, Nyaa.

:colbert:

Hazdoc posted:

Of all the crappy mobile games I've played, F/GO is probably the most amusing. Though its a bit difficult for somebody who knows nothing about Fate to get into, of course.
Worry not, it have shitload of anime to confuse you more.

Freak Futanari
Apr 11, 2008

Hazdoc posted:

Mayhaps you want to consider reading the VN

Plutonis
Mar 25, 2011

loving TERTIARIES

Sanguinia
Jan 1, 2012

~Everybody wants to be a cat~
~Because a cat's the only cat~
~Who knows where its at~

I look forward to when the Tsukihime Remake is finally finished, because when new fans trickle from that back into Fate I'll be able to complain about Quaternaries.

Freak Futanari
Apr 11, 2008
I look forward to when the Tsukihime Remake is finished because maybe then we'll finally get a collab. Ciel when

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice
If type moon still hasn't accepted any offers that get fsn onto steam in English then there's a 0% chance tsukihime 2 will be localized

KiteAuraan
Aug 5, 2014

JER GEDDA FERDA RADDA ARA!

From what I've heard, they want an UNGODLY sum for the license, to the point where no one wants to take the risk, even on a property like FSN. Which must be a large sum, because all sorts of poo poo gets English releases now.

Nyaa
Jan 7, 2010
Like, Nyaa.

:colbert:
Altria license fee.

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747

KiteAuraan posted:

From what I've heard, they want an UNGODLY sum for the license, to the point where no one wants to take the risk, even on a property like FSN. Which must be a large sum, because all sorts of poo poo gets English releases now.

also, it's literally, no exaggeration literally longer than War and Peace and i'm pretty sure trying to license the fan translation would open its own new can of worms

the fact that we even have a fan translation as good as the one that exists is kinda bonkers, honestly

Hazdoc
Nov 8, 2012

Muscovy Ducks are a large tropical breed, famous for their lean and extremely flavorful meat.

Hazduck!

~SMcD

Freak Futanari posted:

Mayhaps you want to consider reading the VN

Oh, I'm already acquainted with the fate series (I read F/SN like... 7 years ago), its just hard to explain to my friends who don't know anything about the nasuverse. So I end up not having anyone to brag to about how I rolled genderbent Attila the Hun or whatever.

Compendium
Jun 18, 2013

M-E-J-E-D

KiteAuraan posted:

I suspected a huge licensing fee was the reason why we don't have the VN on our shores as an official thing, but we get all the other stuff.

a kitten
Aug 5, 2006

After finally getting around to starting to read through the original VN, some random impressions:

Huh, Saber is shorter than Rin
There really is a lot of cooking
Shirou: an idiot?
Disheveled morning Rin is very good.
There is a shitload of foreshadowing/obvious in hindsight stuff. (I've watched the UBW anime, and learned about the series in various other ways)

Randallteal
May 7, 2006

The tears of time
My favorite thing about the VN is how many of Rin's portraits they devoted to knowing smirks. It feels like she spends 2/3 of the fate route making fun of Shirou to his face, which is appropriate for what a moron he is through that route.

Hommando
Mar 2, 2012
Shirou jackhammers that smirk off of her face though.

Shinjobi
Jul 10, 2008

Gravy Boat 2k

Hommando posted:

:yikes:

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice

Hommando posted:

this is a bad post

Stairmaster
Jun 8, 2012

wouldnt that just make her more smug

Stairmaster
Jun 8, 2012

i think we'd all feel alot more confident if archer hosed us

Silver2195
Apr 4, 2012

a kitten posted:

She stopped aging at ~15, so this shouldn't be surprising.

Conspiratiorist
Nov 12, 2015

17th Separate Kryvyi Rih Tank Brigade named after Konstantin Pestushko
Look to my coming on the first light of the fifth sixth some day
Girls are actually more or less done growing at 15; Saber's just short.

Plutonis
Mar 25, 2011

Stairmaster posted:

i think we'd all feel alot more confident if archer hosed us

he's definitely the man i'd love to have sex with the most

Plutonis
Mar 25, 2011

-tall dark and handsome
-muscled as hell
-excellent cook and housekeeper
-snarky but really caring
-teaches you a lot of stuff
-has an insanely sexy voice
-has an insanely epic theme song

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
Same

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012
I mean, he might tie you to a chair and leave you with a rapist, but hey, nobody's perfect.

Rody One Half
Feb 18, 2011

Conspiratiorist posted:

Girls are actually more or less done growing at 15; Saber's just short.

We know for a fact that Saber isn't full size.

Stairmaster
Jun 8, 2012

Do you think his theme plays when he's about to nut

DisDisDis
Dec 22, 2013
I've done extensive research on the subject and Archer is a bottom

Stairmaster
Jun 8, 2012

Drown in your ideals and die

DisDisDis
Dec 22, 2013
don't worry stair, I'd let him top too

Stairmaster
Jun 8, 2012

Gilgamesh is the bottom

Bakanogami
Dec 31, 2004

Grimey Drawer

a kitten posted:

I’ve seen some “life size” cardboard cutouts they cart out at events, and while admittedly these things are kind of weird with anime character proportions, two things really stand out.

-Archer/Gil are both really tall.
-Saber is a loving midget.

Freak Futanari
Apr 11, 2008

Plutonis posted:

he's definitely the man i'd love to have sex with the most

uhhhhhh that should be Kotomine

Gamerofthegame
Oct 28, 2010

Could at least flip one or two, maybe.
isn't artoria forever 14

ofc she's short

Silver2195
Apr 4, 2012

Bakanogami posted:

I’ve seen some “life size” cardboard cutouts they cart out at events, and while admittedly these things are kind of weird with anime character proportions, two things really stand out.

-Archer/Gil are both really tall.
-Saber is a loving midget.

In the original myth, Gilgamesh is about 16 feet tall. Nasu actually scaled him down a bit.

I remember there being a discussion previously about Nasuverse character weights (with obvious exceptions like Iskander and Hercules) being oddly light.

Edit: Akiha is 99 pounds, Sakura is 101 pounds, Waver is 110 pounds, and Hisui and Kohaku are 95 pounds each. Shirou and Bazett are 128 pounds each, although Archer is 172 pounds. For the characters you'd expect to be light, Zouken is 95 pounds and Illya 75. Saber is 93 pounds.

Edit 2: Kotomine is 181 pounds, though. Apparently this is the same in Zero and Stay Night, despite him growing 8 cm (3 inches) in the intervening time.

Edit 3: Disappointingly, ORT does not have a listed weight. Nrvnqsr Chaos is 185 pounds, so I guess being made of hundreds of animals smooshed together somehow doesn't affect his weight.

Edit 4: Perhaps most strangely of all, Cu Chulainn weighs 154 pounds in Stay Night, 159 in Grand Order, and 165 in Extra. Is it possible to gain weight while on the Throne of Heroes? Or is this a side effect of his better Endurance stat under Extra!Rin?

Silver2195 fucked around with this message at 03:09 on Dec 4, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AlternateNu
May 5, 2005

ドーナツダメ!

Silver2195 posted:

Edit 2: Kotomine is 181 pounds, though. Apparently this is the same in Zero and Stay Night, despite him growing 8 cm (3 inches) in the intervening time.

The hell? Did getting dunked in grail mud make him grow three inches?