Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Athletic Footjob
Sep 24, 2005
Grimey Drawer
nz needs to implement what australia’s doing with their eftpos contactless system http://appleinsider.com/articles/17/10/17/anz-first-to-offer-contactless-eftpos-payments-in-australia-thanks-to-apple-pay

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bump_fn
Apr 12, 2004

two of them

cinci zoo sniper posted:

yes, and you link it with bank. it doesn't exist in its own special vacuum like bump_fn's post implied, which i dismissed as a notion (causing this ruckus)

implied or implode

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

bump_fn posted:

implied or implode

dont mess with me mind, fake britt

poty
Jun 21, 2008

虹はどこで終わるのですか? あなたの魂の中で、または地平線で?

cinci zoo sniper posted:

i can afford apple stuff. not the very best every year or refresh, but nonetheless.

how much is a good appartment in riga

do you think its a good investment

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

poty posted:

how much is a good appartment in riga

do you think its a good investment

its a terrible investment. as for the prices, here's downtown.

https://www.ss.com/lv/real-estate/flats/riga/centre/sell/fDgSeF4belI=.html

so basically you cant spend more than 1.5 mil (thats 4500 sqft downtown penthouse). in downtown dece apt will be like 100-200k, on the outskirts you can buy for much less.

for reference wrt purchasing power, my very well earning friend did recently take a mortage for an apartment on riga outskirts - its a 500-something sqft 2br or 3br that cost <50k and needed several grand in repairs and furniture

the place i stay at, aiming to provide medium-upper class studio apartments for young professionals, does sell their 350 sqft studios for around 50k. no repairs needed, fully furnished and renovated 3 years ago. a much better district than where that friend bough hist multi-br

another friend bought, but this was several years ago, a 460 sqft studio on the outskirts, but on the correct side of the river and noticeably closer to downtown than the friend from above. he 40k for that unfurnished studio in a newly built medium-tier apartment complex.

cinci zoo sniper fucked around with this message at 13:54 on Dec 3, 2017

poty
Jun 21, 2008

虹はどこで終わるのですか? あなたの魂の中で、または地平線で?
yeah those prices are no bargain. thanks for the info

Bulgogi Hoagie
Jun 1, 2012

We
europe is insanely backwards with regards to apple pay compared to the good countries like U.K. and russia

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

Bulgogi Hoagie posted:

europe is insanely backwards with regards to apple pay compared to the good countries like U.K. and russia

it works the same way and has broader technical support, there're just more parties to negotiate for lesser markets than russian elite or fellow anglos

between russia and uk, apple pay works with banks in another 15 or so european countries

Bulgogi Hoagie
Jun 1, 2012

We

cinci zoo sniper posted:

it works the same way and has broader technical support, there're just more parties to negotiate for lesser markets than russian elite or fellow anglos

between russia and uk, apple pay works with banks in another 15 or so european countries

i’m not saying there aren’t some european countries with apply pay support, just highlighting that those two have the most apple pay banks so far pretty overwhelmingly

eg belgium, the capital city of the european union, has no apple pay-capable banks

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

Bulgogi Hoagie posted:

i’m not saying there aren’t some european countries with apply pay support, just highlighting that those two have the most apple pay banks so far pretty overwhelmingly

eg belgium, the capital city of the european union, has no apple pay-capable banks

fair enough. also no one real cares about belgium, its full of terrorists and executives

Best Bi Geek Squid
Mar 25, 2016
i just noticed that some kind soul bought me an av. thank you, anonymous benefactor :3:

The_Franz
Aug 8, 2003

Bulgogi Hoagie posted:

eastern europe in general is a giant apple pay dead zone, although it sounds like it's coming to poland soon

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

brap
Aug 23, 2004

Grimey Drawer
wait walmart still hasnt given up that hosed up payments system people were talking about around the time apple pay came out?

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene

i am very amused by these real estate listings

apparently you need a passable grasp of three languages to shop for a high-end apartment in riga

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

Notorious b.s.d. posted:

i am very amused by these real estate listings

apparently you need a passable grasp of three languages to shop for a high-end apartment in riga

to sell? absolutely. to shop for? doesn't really matter, in that range people will get you interpreters for viewings and whatnot

Plorkyeran
Mar 22, 2007

To Escape The Shackles Of The Old Forums, We Must Reject The Tribal Negativity He Endorsed

poty posted:

yeah those prices are no bargain. thanks for the info

when i was in riga a few years ago i was pretty surprised at how not-cheap everything was. given the pay disparity between what i was making and what the coworkers i was visiting were making i was expecting a similar different in CoL, but it didn't actually seem to even be much cheaper to live there.

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

looks like it’s the same as far as i can tell?

unless
i’m missing something? currently we can only do contactless with visa/mastercard, even if not credit. maybe that what they talking about

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

Plorkyeran posted:

when i was in riga a few years ago i was pretty surprised at how not-cheap everything was. given the pay disparity between what i was making and what the coworkers i was visiting were making i was expecting a similar different in CoL, but it didn't actually seem to even be much cheaper to live there.

its not cheap. ive lived in plenty of other countries, and riga is consistently the most expensive ive been to wrt quality purchases - compared to germany, uk, france, sweden, you name it. electronics cost the same if not more, options are more constrained. food baseline is slightly cheaper than sweden, but depends on the grocer. same goes for eating out. the difference is nowhere near the multiplier of 3 or more that you get comparing latvia with western or northern european countries.

hence everyone being extremely thrifty, and corruption and financial fraud of all kinds being prevalent.

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene

Plorkyeran posted:

moscow is one of the most expensive cities on earth

cinci zoo sniper posted:

its not cheap. [...]

hence everyone being extremely thrifty, and corruption and financial fraud of all kinds being prevalent.

sounds like the post-soviet world in a nutshell

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

Notorious b.s.d. posted:

moscow is one of the most expensive cities on earth
moscow is a city of contrasts. in many areas, it's not even all that expensive, compared even to, say, riga. you can find where to spend your money, though, no doubt

Athletic Footjob
Sep 24, 2005
Grimey Drawer

echinopsis posted:

looks like it’s the same as far as i can tell?

unless
i’m missing something? currently we can only do contactless with visa/mastercard, even if not credit. maybe that what they talking about

“Widely accepted in Australia, eftpos is a contactless payments system that ties directly into a cardholder's account, identical to competing credit and debit card solutions, reports Business Insider. Unlike Visa and Mastercard processors that charge an estimated 0.55 percent of the transaction value to a customer's bank, eftpos fees can be as low as 0.15 percent.”

cheaper for businesses, less reason to object having paywave, higher adoption

Maximum Leader
Dec 5, 2014

cinci zoo sniper posted:

its a terrible investment. as for the prices, here's downtown.

https://www.ss.com/lv/real-estate/flats/riga/centre/sell/fDgSeF4belI=.html

so basically you cant spend more than 1.5 mil (thats 4500 sqft downtown penthouse). in downtown dece apt will be like 100-200k, on the outskirts you can buy for much less.

for reference wrt purchasing power, my very well earning friend did recently take a mortage for an apartment on riga outskirts - its a 500-something sqft 2br or 3br that cost <50k and needed several grand in repairs and furniture

the place i stay at, aiming to provide medium-upper class studio apartments for young professionals, does sell their 350 sqft studios for around 50k. no repairs needed, fully furnished and renovated 3 years ago. a much better district than where that friend bough hist multi-br

another friend bought, but this was several years ago, a 460 sqft studio on the outskirts, but on the correct side of the river and noticeably closer to downtown than the friend from above. he 40k for that unfurnished studio in a newly built medium-tier apartment complex.

i found the kitchen of nightmares by sorting for cheapest apartments:

google translate tells me it "needs repair" but im pretty sure burning it down would be a better option

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

Maximum Leader posted:

i found the kitchen of nightmares by sorting for cheapest apartments:

google translate tells me it "needs repair" but im pretty sure burning it down would be a better option

that's not the worst kitchen i've seen in last 9 months

Soricidus
Oct 21, 2010
freedom-hating statist shill

cinci zoo sniper posted:

that's not the worst kitchen i've seen in last 9 months

please clean your stove occasionally

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

Soricidus posted:

please clean your stove occasionally

i don't have a stove

ComradeCosmobot
Dec 4, 2004

USPOL July

brap posted:

wait walmart still hasnt given up that hosed up payments system people were talking about around the time apple pay came out?

yup that “scan a barcode” payment system is almost more popular than apple pay

bump_fn
Apr 12, 2004

two of them
the uni didn't buy me proper apple care but basically sold as an equiv but its thru this vendor and I can't wait until the keyboard fails

Dixie Cretin Seaman
Jan 22, 2008

all hat and one catte
Hot Rope Guy
riga has a reputation as a delightful balmy paradise filled with fun, beautiful women. but always stay alert for espionage. a naval commander on shore leave (bit of a ladies' man) was once utterly compromised by a sexy female operative. got him addicted to some weird AR game about putting discs into funnels (wtf?) the horny idiot even shared it with his crew, almost took out his whole ship. somehow he wasn't even reprimanded for his carelessness! ill say this, tho: riga has some amazing sunsets.

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

Dixie Cretin Seaman posted:

riga has a reputation as a delightful balmy paradise filled with fun, beautiful women. but always stay alert for espionage. a naval commander on shore leave (bit of a ladies' man) was once utterly compromised by a sexy female operative. got him addicted to some weird AR game about putting discs into funnels (wtf?) the horny idiot even shared it with his crew, almost took out his whole ship. somehow he wasn't even reprimanded for his carelessness! ill say this, tho: riga has some amazing sunsets.
?augmented reality game about putting discs into funnels? :wtc:

but i can deffo see sailor take on latvia, alcohol and well looking prostitutes are not very difficult to find, and the prices are some of the lowest in the region

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

foreigners though always get targeted by scams. like the other day bunch of people tried to beat up canadian troops in mcdonalds or something like that and paint it all as nato death squad cleansing ethnic russians from latvia, one fastfood chain restaurant at a time

bump_fn
Apr 12, 2004

two of them
I would love to live in a poor euro nation and then people would hack me thinking its brilliant espionage and just find out my hosed up fetishes or something

lol owned bitch u thought I was some operative but I just a thing for asses

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
i love asses so much

FMguru
Sep 10, 2003

peed on;
sexually

hehe

akadajet
Sep 14, 2003

Notorious b.s.d. posted:

apple pay works fine and has almost universal adoption. why would they give up on the most successful phone payment system outside of africa/scandinavia?

I'm in the US and I tried apple pay twice today. Once at a shoe store, where the payment terminal hung up on "processing..." and the sales clerk told me "Oh, Apple pay is really flakey here. Just use your card". At the grocery store it did nothing despite the terminal having an NFC reader.

0/2 so far. Almost universal indeed.

Joe 30330
Dec 20, 2007

"We have this notion that if you're poor, you cannot do it. Poor kids are just as bright and just as talented as white kids."

As the audience reluctantly began to applaud during the silence, Biden tried to fix his remarks.

"Wealthy kids, black kids, Asian kids -- no, I really mean it." Biden said.

infernal machines posted:

and canada, we've had contactless payment for like five years from every bank and all credit cards. we also have apple pay wherever someone feels like supporting it

Tim's started taking* MasterCard PayPass like 10 years ago. before they started taking interactive

*none of the cashiers were trained on how to loving use it

kitten emergency
Jan 13, 2008

get meow this wack-ass crystal prison

lol

kitten emergency
Jan 13, 2008

get meow this wack-ass crystal prison
apple pay works pretty much everywhere i go in new york idk

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we have sealed ourselves away behind our money, growing inward, generating a seamless universe of self.

cinci zoo sniper posted:

?augmented reality game about putting discs into funnels? :wtc:

:ironicat:

how do you not get this?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chris Knight
Jun 5, 2002

me @ ur posts

Fun Shoe

infernal machines posted:

:ironicat: