Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Pastry of the Year
Apr 12, 2013

Szurumbur posted:

Persona 5 again: your teammates IMs/text messages are more often than not rather long, with proper grammar and sent instantly, often a few in rapid succession, which destroys the illusion of them being ,,real". Your own texts are terse two or three-word long, which look really impolite in comparison.

which is weird because the texting in Catherine was really great

the thing dragging down Catherine is that it has a really loving neat story and great characters and dialogue and I am absolutely shithouse at three-dimensional puzzles

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

poptart_fairy posted:

There were people in that thread calling others white supremacists because they aired complaints. Palpek had to step in and tell them to drop that poo poo.

Internet discourse has been 'Top Ten Reasons You Won't Believe Why You Are Hitler Will Melt Your Heart' for years now so I can believe that some people are bandying it about but still.

Necrothatcher
Mar 26, 2005

Not really a thing dragging a game down, but my sister has bought my nephew a lovely Ben 10 switch game for his birthday when he's asked for Mario Odyssey. :(

I've gotten him Mario Kart, but gently caress, I would have bought him Odyssey if I'd known...

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

He plays for the dreamers that forgot how to dream, and the lovers that forgot how to love.

Mr. Flunchy posted:

Not really a thing dragging a game down, but my sister has bought my nephew a lovely Ben 10 switch game for his birthday when he's asked for Mario Odyssey. :(

I've gotten him Mario Kart, but gently caress, I would have bought him Odyssey if I'd known...

Quick, before he finds himself enjoying it and turns into me :v:

But yeah, that sucks. No matter how young you are, the minute you become an Aunt/Uncle or Parent/Grandparent it's like all taste goes out of the window.

poptart_fairy
Apr 8, 2009

by R. Guyovich

RareAcumen posted:

Internet discourse has been 'Top Ten Reasons You Won't Believe Why You Are Hitler Will Melt Your Heart' for years now so I can believe that some people are bandying it about but still.

Makes it no less dumb when people like Guy Mann lead the charge, especially when he goes ballistic over any negativity involving Borderlands. Pot kettle etc

Sunswipe
Feb 5, 2016

by Fluffdaddy

John Murdoch posted:

Continuing with Watchdogs 1 I'm beginning to realize a huge flaw of the game,
It's poo poo? I got if free on Ubisoft's not-Steam service and uninstalled after a couple of hours. There's nothing about the game that's done well, let alone in an interesting way.

VileLL
Oct 3, 2015

Terminally Bored posted:

It's really funnny cause Guy Mann is actually a trump chud. He got found out in the trump lol thread two days ago.

who could possibly be surprised by this

poptart_fairy
Apr 8, 2009

by R. Guyovich
Gonna need a link because holy moley, lol

Jetamo
Nov 8, 2012

alright.

alright, mate.

spit on my clit posted:

oh boy we're really doing this. lets not.

instead lets bitch about how bethesda keeps dragging down the elder scrolls series as a whole by focusing on releasing skyrim on every console from now until 2030, and their mmo that three people play, instead of focusing on a new entry to the series. ok, im probably being unfair to the mmo, im sure at least six people are playing it by now.

If it's of any consolation, ESO is by the Zenimax side not the Bethesda side IIRC.

Guy Mann
Mar 28, 2016

by Lowtax

Terminally Bored posted:

It's really funnny cause Guy Mann is actually a trump chud. He got found out in the trump lol thread two days ago.

I don't suppose you have a link handy for the people like me who aren't up to date on the dozens of thousand page megathreads that make up 70% of the front page of GBS on any given day?

SneezeOfTheDecade
Feb 6, 2011

gettin' covid all
over your posts

Jetamo posted:

If it's of any consolation, ESO is by the Zenimax side not the Bethesda side IIRC.

Yes, ESO is Zenimax Online, not Bethesda, although ZO really wants to pretend it’s the Bethesda side of the company.

ESO actually isn’t a half-bad game and does some interesting technical stuff (IIRC it was the first MMO to do dynamic sharding), but it suffered from two problems that weren’t the game’s fault: management insisted on and published a release date without actually talking to the devs about whether that was feasible (according to the devs I’ve spoken to), and it happened to come out at the exact moment when everyone collectively got tired of MMORPGs.

John Murdoch
May 19, 2009

I can tune a fish.

spit on my clit posted:

instead lets bitch about how bethesda keeps dragging down the elder scrolls series as a whole by focusing on releasing skyrim on every console from now until 2030, and their mmo that three people play, instead of focusing on a new entry to the series. ok, im probably being unfair to the mmo, im sure at least six people are playing it by now.

By all accounts ESO came out the other side basically being the next Elder Scrolls game where you can gently caress around and do Elder Scrolls Stuff, all as a single player with minimal MMO bullshit getting involved.

Sunswipe posted:

It's poo poo? I got if free on Ubisoft's not-Steam service and uninstalled after a couple of hours. There's nothing about the game that's done well, let alone in an interesting way.
Actually, I said something very different after that comma! :eng101: When it's not relying on awkward mission scripting, I kinda like Watchdogs. I even like Aiden because he's fun to hate. There's enough good ideas in there that they went on to make WD2 which is supposed to be really, really good. An Assassins' Creed 1 -> 2 situation.

poptart_fairy
Apr 8, 2009

by R. Guyovich
WD2 is much better because the protagonist isn't a complete poo poo, and the storyline's mostly light enough that it doesn't clash as badly with all the ridiculous other poo poo you can do.

Terminally Bored
Oct 31, 2011

Twenty-five dollars and a six pack to my name

poptart_fairy posted:

Gonna need a link because holy moley, lol

Jose posted:

i looked at the thread ratings and lol every magaman has voted it 1

frakeaing HAMSTER DANCE posted:

Jose post the 1 votes

Jose posted:

1.0: spacetoaster
1.0: HoboNews
1.0: T.S. Smelliot
1.0: fridge corn
1.0: Blood Libel
1.0: VR Native American
1.0: Guy Mann
1.0: Im Ready for DEATH
1.0: BluesShaman

EDIT: The best thing is that pretty much all of them had no idea unless they were following the thread closely.

On topic again: every strategy or tactics or any menu heavy game every should have the UI scaling option because gently caress reading anything at 12 font on a 1440p monitor. I'm looking at you Invisible Inc.

Terminally Bored has a new favorite as of 16:21 on Dec 3, 2017

Pastry of the Year
Apr 12, 2013

poptart_fairy posted:

WD2 is much better because the protagonist isn't a complete poo poo, and the storyline's mostly light enough that it doesn't clash as badly with all the ridiculous other poo poo you can do.

I'm a complete poo poo and everyone loves my storyline

John Murdoch
May 19, 2009

I can tune a fish.

poptart_fairy posted:

Yeah, I'll fully admit that WD1 is wildly uneven and surely had to be a mess behind the scenes to end up as it did. I have to wonder if the reason there's so much superfluous poo poo in the game is because Ubisoft's 600 satellite studios were left spinning their wheels during rough patches, so hey, have a bunch of minigames. Still have a soft spot for it tho.

poptart_fairy
Apr 8, 2009

by R. Guyovich

John Murdoch posted:

Yeah, I'll fully admit that WD1 is wildly uneven and surely had to be a mess behind the scenes to end up as it did. I have to wonder if the reason there's so much superfluous poo poo in the game is because Ubisoft's 600 satellite studios were left spinning their wheels during rough patches, so hey, have a bunch of minigames. Still have a soft spot for it tho.

Apparently it underwent a ton of rewrites - I only know of the most obvious stuff though, such as your wife becoming your sister, and your son turning into your nephew, etc. Even then I'm not sure if this is true or just internet whispers.

Pastry of the Year
Apr 12, 2013

poptart_fairy posted:

your wife becoming your sister, and your son turning into your nephew

See, nowadays that would be expensive DLC

ilmucche
Mar 16, 2016

Terminally Bored posted:

On topic again: every strategy or tactics or any menu heavy game every should have the UI scaling option because gently caress reading anything at 12 font on a 1440p monitor. I'm looking at you Invisible Inc.

This is all games.

John Murdoch
May 19, 2009

I can tune a fish.

poptart_fairy posted:

Apparently it underwent a ton of rewrites - I only know of the most obvious stuff though, such as your wife becoming your sister, and your son turning into your nephew, etc. Even then I'm not sure if this is true or just internet whispers.

The funny thing is, on some level I think having them be siblings/extended family really does work better for what, well, what at least one of the writers was trying to do, at some point, in one of the drafts. I think the more obvious sign of how confused the script is is Jordi, who feels like he stepped out of a completely different game. In fact the entire "fixer" concept is just a big pile of ???? for how much it intersects with but never actually affects the plot (maybe that changes in the back half of the game though).

RyokoTK
Feb 12, 2012

I am cool.

Guy Mann posted:

I don't suppose you have a link handy for the people like me who aren't up to date on the dozens of thousand page megathreads that make up 70% of the front page of GBS on any given day?

lol don’t pretend like you have a better way to spend your time

poptart_fairy
Apr 8, 2009

by R. Guyovich

John Murdoch posted:

The funny thing is, on some level I think having them be siblings/extended family really does work better for what, well, what at least one of the writers was trying to do, at some point, in one of the drafts. I think the more obvious sign of how confused the script is is Jordi, who feels like he stepped out of a completely different game. In fact the entire "fixer" concept is just a big pile of ???? for how much it intersects with but never actually affects the plot (maybe that changes in the back half of the game though).

Funnily enough Jordi's in WD2 and fits perfectly. :v:

Guy Mann
Mar 28, 2016

by Lowtax
The game Tower Unite is built pretty heavily around the idea of building and decorating player areas using customization items that you buy with in-game currency, however the stores that sell the items are on a completely separate map from where you actually build your house. So any sort of building project inevitably winds up with you bouncing back and forth between loading screens running down to the store to pick up an office chair or a few dozen additional canvases when you inevitable run out during a project. It seems like having some kind of build menu a la The Sims wouldn't be very difficult from the backend and would be hugely convenient.

Terminally Bored posted:

EDIT: The best thing is that pretty much all of them had no idea unless they were following the thread closely.

It's true. Much like the Xbox One, Mount Everest, Chinese people, Star Citizen, Doobie's Dog House, Lena Dunham, fat people, cops, Indian people, Ouya, and Bitcoin me thinking that a thread about spending years humorlessly obsessing over something you hate isn't entertaining is actually just because I secretly love the thing you're making fun of.

poptart_fairy
Apr 8, 2009

by R. Guyovich
Mate, you're a hellthread re-reg with an encyclopaedic knowledge of the topic who jumps out the very second someone mentions gaming journalism or Borderlands.

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

Boy the level scaling in Borderlands is such garbage.

Deceitful Penguin
Feb 16, 2011

Samuringa posted:

I swear I'm not trying to be condescending here, but there are a lot of posts about how BJ dies really easily in TNC and it kill the momentum of the game but...have you tried playing it on easy? Maybe that would make things smoother?

edit: Like, it's definitely not just you people having this problem and while it wouldn't fix everything at least it'd make it fun
No it's really weird how you can play the first two games at a fairly high difficulty level, then you just get splattered in game 2.

It's also more how uneven the difficulty is and how the gimmick of having low health/high armor isn't great.

I am probs going into easy later, when I lose patience.

RareAcumen posted:

Boy the level scaling in Borderlands is such garbage.
The first BL game was a charming, if flawed game, with a bit of mystery, a little bit of humour and a shitload of guns.

The rest increased the last bit at the cost of everything else. Is there anything as pathetic as someone unfunny trying to hard?

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

Oh, I didn't mean Borderlands as in the first game, I meant the series.

Veotax
May 16, 2006

The only good Borderlands game is the Telltale one.

Also the only good Halo games are ODST and Reach.

Brother Entropy
Dec 27, 2009

Guy Mann posted:

It's true. Much like the Xbox One, Mount Everest, Chinese people, Star Citizen, Doobie's Dog House, Lena Dunham, fat people, cops, Indian people, Ouya, and Bitcoin me thinking that a thread about spending years humorlessly obsessing over something you hate isn't entertaining is actually just because I secretly love the thing you're making fun of.

what thread do you think you're posting in

Brother Entropy
Dec 27, 2009

tired: humorlessly hating that the president of the united states finds new ways to be an awful person on a daily basis

wired: humorlessly hating new mario doesn't jump right or skyrim is shallow or whatever

Yardbomb
Jul 11, 2011

What's with the eh... bretonnian dance, sir?

Veotax posted:

Almost scary how correct this is.

Morglon
Jan 13, 2010

Safe and sound, detached from reality.
Just like your posting.
What drags gaming down are the obscene levels of additional DRM some are using. You got Steam, that's what people are comfortable with stop tagging on your own launcher and loving Denuvo with sixty billion EULA to agree to. Honestly I skip those kinds of game these days rather than rewarding that poo poo.

Yardbomb
Jul 11, 2011

What's with the eh... bretonnian dance, sir?

Morglon posted:

What drags gaming down are the obscene levels of additional DRM some are using. You got Steam, that's what people are comfortable with stop tagging on your own launcher and loving Denuvo with sixty billion EULA to agree to. Honestly I skip those kinds of game these days rather than rewarding that poo poo.

Denuvo's been long since beat too, it's just another dead in the water bloat DRM now.

Lead Psychiatry
Dec 22, 2004

I wonder if a soldier ever does mend a bullet hole in his coat?

Cythereal posted:

X-Morph is a decently fun combo tower defense/twin stick shooter with the twist that you're playing as the aliens invading Earth and fending off huge waves of human tanks and planes and whatnot. However, after completing the game, I feel the game dropped the ball hard on bosses. Across fourteen levels, there were only four bosses - and one of them was reused in a later level as a pair of minibosses. The bosses that appear are pretty great: a skyscraper-sized spider tank in South Africa (and two later appear in Nigera), a gigantic ultraheavy tank that would make a Baneblade or Mammoth Tank feel inadequate in Germany, a gigantic ekranoplan flying fortress in Russia, and of course a giant battle mech in Japan. But... that's it. The Americans don't scrape together some lunatic superheavy, either in the New York or the Hawaii mission that would be just perfect for some colossal battleship or aircraft carrier. The Chinese don't. The British don't. And so on and so forth.

In a game that's otherwise pretty corny fun, the lack of enemy and map variety in general is lackluster.

My issue is turret placement around bomber paths. Most of the time the placement doesn't appear to be under the path, but it still registers as possibly being hit. So I move it over a few squares or whatever and shift the camera a bit but no, it still registers as likely to be hit.

Made playing the Russia level with the boss an utter loving chore.

Punished Chuck
Dec 27, 2010

Guy Mann posted:

To be fair, being a smug contrarian that just endlessly posts “the things goons think are good are actually bad, and the things they think are bad are actually good, and everyone but me is a shitlord pissbaby (or whatever other incredibly lame catchphrase is currently in vogue in PYF) for thinking otherwise” is the only thing you’ve ever done across all of your accounts so it’s really only a matter of time before you notice that goons don’t like Trump and decide that he’s good.

Veotax posted:

https://i.imgur.com/Z77wo9A.gifv

ODST is the only bad Halo. I will go to war over this.

Lunchmeat Larry
Nov 3, 2012

I think the new version has yet to be cracked but yeah it was getting beaten on day 1 for a while there

RyokoTK
Feb 12, 2012

I am cool.

Guy Mann posted:

You wouldn’t know humor if it shoved its balls down your throat, you boring loving nincompoop.

poptart_fairy
Apr 8, 2009

by R. Guyovich
Wasn't there statistics about how DRM only really "needs" to stop the first couple days worth of piracy, or am I remembering wrong?

MiddleOne
Feb 17, 2011

poptart_fairy posted:

Wasn't there statistics about how DRM only really "needs" to stop the first couple days worth of piracy, or am I remembering wrong?

It's all spurious. Publishing companies usually run towards DRM to calm down board members who start whinging about potential revenue being lost rather then for its proven effectiveness in boosting revenue. A lot of DRM practices build on fundamental misunderstandings of both economics (that a consumer will consume something a price=0 does not mean that they would consume it at price=X), consumer behavior (customers are not rational and will for a myriad of reasons often pay for things even if they theoretically have the opportunity to avoid doing so) and just plain consumer research (not all consumer groups are capable of resorting to piracy).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

rodbeard
Jul 21, 2005

spit on my clit posted:

oh boy we're really doing this. lets not.

Considering the huge step backwards fallout 4 was I wouldn't be surprised if the next elder scrolls, if they ever get to making one, brought back individual pauldron slots.