Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Flagrama
Jun 19, 2010

Lipstick Apathy

Flipperwaldt posted:

There isn't necessarily a difference between these two anymore. A manufacturer certainly can set things up so the reset - delete everything option puts back all the crap it came with out of the factory.

There are two resets.

Top one is the one that should restore even the crap. Second one should be a completely clean version.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zadda
Jan 27, 2007

Young Urchin
For some reasons my Windows 10 suddenly decided to re-arrange my desktop icons every reboot.

Running a dual screen setup but have been from the start of using windows 10. Can't think of something that recently changed either.

Any ideas to fix this?

dont be mean to me
May 2, 2007

I'm interplanetary, bitch
Let's go to Mars

Zadda posted:

For some reasons my Windows 10 suddenly decided to re-arrange my desktop icons every reboot.

Running a dual screen setup but have been from the start of using windows 10. Can't think of something that recently changed either.

Any ideas to fix this?

Use a connector other than DisplayPort or a more standards-compliant DisplayPort monitor. If you have above-1080p monitors check your GPU specs to see if the HDMI ports can push more than 1080p to a DVI target.

E: Yeah, general-purpose computer HDMI ports should be able to push 1920x1200p60 to a DVI target (it's in the HDMI 1.0 spec), but everyone is at best 'should'-adjacent these days.

dont be mean to me fucked around with this message at 05:42 on Dec 3, 2017

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

maybe for one second you can pause; try to step into another person's perspective, and understand that a watermelon is cursing me

GRINDCORE MEGGIDO posted:

I should have asked why it didn't, don't know if it was a setting I changed or what.

I changed from one z170 board to another, didn't see the point in reinstalling. There's no problem with that, is there? I didn't have any mobo specific drivers installed.
It's because the serial(?) on the motherboard is a crucial part of the activation hash or whatever, so there's some tool you have to run to basically replace the old motherboard info in there with the new so it plays nicely even though they might be exactly the same model and clearly a repair replacement.

Flipperwaldt
Nov 11, 2011

Won't somebody think of the starving hamsters in China?

Flagrama posted:

There are two resets.
Top one is the one that should restore even the crap. Second one should be a completely clean version.
I had no idea, but that's good news. Thanks.

GRINDCORE MEGGIDO
Feb 28, 1985

Ghostlight posted:

It's because the serial(?) on the motherboard is a crucial part of the activation hash or whatever, so there's some tool you have to run to basically replace the old motherboard info in there with the new so it plays nicely even though they might be exactly the same model and clearly a repair replacement.

Got it. Does the "I recently changed hardware" option ever allow activation for new motherboards?

bobfather
Sep 20, 2001

I will analyze your nervous system for beer money

GRINDCORE MEGGIDO posted:

Got it. Does the "I recently changed hardware" option ever allow activation for new motherboards?

Yeah, but you'll likely have to call in to MS to explain that. They are usually fine with it though.

Im_Special
Jan 2, 2011

Look At This!!! WOW!
It's F*cking Nothing.
Mutha fucker, Classic Shell no longer in development.

Zadda
Jan 27, 2007

Young Urchin

dont be mean to me posted:

Use a connector other than DisplayPort or a more standards-compliant DisplayPort monitor. If you have above-1080p monitors check your GPU specs to see if the HDMI ports can push more than 1080p to a DVI target.

E: Yeah, general-purpose computer HDMI ports should be able to push 1920x1200p60 to a DVI target (it's in the HDMI 1.0 spec), but everyone is at best 'should'-adjacent these days.

Ok, I had a look, my setup is like this: one monitor is 1920x1080 and is connected via a DVI-D to the GPU, the other monitor is 1280x1024 and only has a vga connector. It has always been connected via an active DisplayPort to VGA converter. I suppose it's the latter that needs to change then? And to what?

My gpu is an msi 1060 with following

Video out 3x DisplayPort, DVI-D, HDMI
highest HDMI-version HDMI 2.0b
highest DisplayPort version DisplayPort 1.4

I thought this was a windows problem but seems like a hardware issue then!

dont be mean to me
May 2, 2007

Let's go to Mars

If your DVI port is DVI-I, DVI-I to VGA cables exist because DVI has straight analog pinouts available; use that to hook up the VGA. If your only remaining ports are HDMI or DisplayPort, use an HDMI-to-DVI cable for the digital monitor.

At a guess, your VGA monitor currently has the earlier port in your GPU's polling order, and your DisplayPort adapter does not report its presence when the monitor attached to it is powered off (possibly even if it's in sleep mode) and definitely isn't retaining the last display array size it fed to the monitor. If it was the later monitor, only the contents for its display position would be forced into 1024x768 land (the default for disconnected monitors). Since it's the earlier monitor, they're both mangled like that. And polling order is generally hard-coded on GPUs.

With prices for even non-TN 1080p monitors with digital input hitting commodity level, it may be prudent to pick one up to replace the 1280x1024.

dont be mean to me fucked around with this message at 19:45 on Dec 4, 2017

Zadda
Jan 27, 2007

Young Urchin
Ok, thanks for your help/advice!

underage at the vape shop
May 11, 2011

by Cyrano4747
I'm getting blue screens seemingly randomly, the most recent change was a windows update just the other day. I'm getting kernel data inpage as the error code, whats the best eay to go about fixing it? Chkdsk on c gets stuck at 26% when I reboot, is my ssd dead?

TheFluff
Dec 13, 2006

FRIENDS, LISTEN TO ME
I AM A SEAGULL
OF WEALTH AND TASTE

underage at the vape shop posted:

I'm getting blue screens seemingly randomly, the most recent change was a windows update just the other day. I'm getting kernel data inpage as the error code, whats the best eay to go about fixing it? Chkdsk on c gets stuck at 26% when I reboot, is my ssd dead?

Most likely the system drive is dying, yes. It can also be bad RAM though. If chkdsk is getting stuck then the disk does seem like the prime suspect, but you can run memtest86 or something to rule the RAM out if you want to be sure before getting a new one.

May 11, 2011

by Cyrano4747

TheFluff posted:

Most likely the system drive is dying, yes. It can also be bad RAM though. If chkdsk is getting stuck then the disk does seem like the prime suspect, but you can run memtest86 or something to rule the RAM out if you want to be sure before getting a new one.

I left it for a while and came back, the event log says 0 bad sectors :shrug:

There's a lot of conflicting advice on the internet about how to deal with this problem but I'll try memtest. The computers only a few months old so if its hardware, atleast I can just consumer laws a new one

TheFluff
Dec 13, 2006

FRIENDS, LISTEN TO ME
I AM A SEAGULL
OF WEALTH AND TASTE

I left it for a while and came back, the event log says 0 bad sectors :shrug:

There's a lot of conflicting advice on the internet about how to deal with this problem but I'll try memtest. The computers only a few months old so if its hardware, atleast I can just consumer laws a new one

Bad sectors doesn't necessarily tell the whole story. You can try something like Crystal DiskInfo (free) or some other SMART monitoring thing and see if it's reporting any read errors or other suspicious stuff. If the computer is new then it sounds kinda unlikely that the SSD itself is dying though. The bluescreen error itself definitely points to a disk (or less likely, RAM) issue, but it doesn't necessarily have to be the disk itself that is the root cause of the problem. I myself have seen some bizarre issues caused by flaky SATA cables (those things can be surprisingly finicky), and other more or less esoteric things you can try looking into are updating the SSD firmware or updating your BIOS.

Do you have any other drives in the system, by the way?

May 11, 2011

by Cyrano4747

TheFluff posted:

Bad sectors doesn't necessarily tell the whole story. You can try something like Crystal DiskInfo (free) or some other SMART monitoring thing and see if it's reporting any read errors or other suspicious stuff. If the computer is new then it sounds kinda unlikely that the SSD itself is dying though. The bluescreen error itself definitely points to a disk (or less likely, RAM) issue, but it doesn't necessarily have to be the disk itself that is the root cause of the problem. I myself have seen some bizarre issues caused by flaky SATA cables (those things can be surprisingly finicky), and other more or less esoteric things you can try looking into are updating the SSD firmware or updating your BIOS.

Do you have any other drives in the system, by the way?

I have 2 SSDs and a HDD. The second SSd is from my old computer buit it just has games on it, it wouldn't have anything to do with kernel stuff right?

underage at the vape shop fucked around with this message at 16:05 on Dec 4, 2017

TheFluff
Dec 13, 2006

FRIENDS, LISTEN TO ME
I AM A SEAGULL
OF WEALTH AND TASTE

I have 2 SSDs and a HDD. The second SSd is from my old computer buit it just has games on it, it wouldn't have anything to do with kernel stuff right?

I wouldn't have thought so, but judging by some rather vague message board posts (totally a reliable source), at least back in the day the automatic page file management could use any non-removable disk in the system for paging (and paging errors are what is causing this bluescreen - the kernel dumped something out of RAM to disk, then at a later point tried to read it back from disk to RAM, but failed) and it would try to choose the least busy one. Can't find an honest answer if that still is the case in Win10, but at least the checkbox in the system settings is still called "automatically manage page file for all drives", which at least kinda implies that using other drives than the system one is still possible. Really can't give you an informed answer here, sorry. Running chkdsk on the other drives can't hurt in any case though, I suppose...

Maybe someone else knows more about Windows virtual memory management than I do and can chime in?

TheFluff fucked around with this message at 16:32 on Dec 4, 2017

chocolateTHUNDER
Jul 19, 2008

GIVE ME ALL YOUR FREE AGENTS

ALL OF THEM

At least the dude is making it open-source. Hopefully people will pick up the torch.

HalloKitty
Sep 30, 2005

Adjust the bass and let the Alpine blast

But.. what? Unbelievable. It's such a great bit of software.

Zero VGS
Aug 16, 2002
ASK ME ABOUT HOW HUMAN LIVES THAT MADE VIDEO GAME CONTROLLERS ARE WORTH MORE
Lipstick Apathy

HalloKitty posted:

But.. what? Unbelievable. It's such a great bit of software.

lol, we have that rolled out across our enterprise... that was my doing actually... hopefully the open source version gets updating to keep working with Microsoft's annoying updates

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

TheFluff posted:

I wouldn't have thought so, but judging by some rather vague message board posts (totally a reliable source), at least back in the day the automatic page file management could use any non-removable disk in the system for paging (and paging errors are what is causing this bluescreen - the kernel dumped something out of RAM to disk, then at a later point tried to read it back from disk to RAM, but failed) and it would try to choose the least busy one. Can't find an honest answer if that still is the case in Win10, but at least the checkbox in the system settings is still called "automatically manage page file for all drives", which at least kinda implies that using other drives than the system one is still possible. Really can't give you an informed answer here, sorry. Running chkdsk on the other drives can't hurt in any case though, I suppose...

Maybe someone else knows more about Windows virtual memory management than I do and can chime in?

When you leave Windows to manage virtual memory entirely, it can and will place pagefiles on all drives if it chooses, and this can result in issues if one of those drives has issues. You can force the system to have the game on just one of the drives going into Control Panel than system, advanced system setting, performance options, advanced, and then selecting Change in the virtual memory area. Then, de-select Automatically manage paging file size for all drives, then select the drives you don't want the page file on and set them to no paging file while leaving the others to still have System managed file.

Ihmemies
Oct 6, 2012

What's the point of that app? Windows 10 pretty much works just like windows 8, instead the start menu is in a resizeable box instead of full screen. Difference is minimal at best.

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006
Turning the light on the darkest places, you and I know we got to face this now. We got to face this now.

Because people are huge babies and hate change.

HalloKitty
Sep 30, 2005

Adjust the bass and let the Alpine blast

GreenNight posted:

Because people are huge babies and hate change.

Yes, because options should never be available, and the right way to work is exactly the way some committee at Microsoft decided that day

Sininu
Jan 8, 2014

Ihmemies posted:

What's the point of that app? Windows 10 pretty much works just like windows 8, instead the start menu is in a resizeable box instead of full screen. Difference is minimal at best.

Read your post for answer to your question.

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006
Turning the light on the darkest places, you and I know we got to face this now. We got to face this now.

That's right. It's a Start menu, it's not hard. They figured out Office when Microsoft changed the GUI and that was way more complicated. People need to learn to deal.

dont be mean to me
May 2, 2007

Let's go to Mars

Chkdsk as a boot process (whatever that screen with the dot-spinner and the manufacturer or Windows logo is called) isn't really programmed to disclose full progress information. I know on all of mine it will sit at one early percentage while it finishes the bulk of its work.

As for diagnosing your error, Microsoft doesn't always have full details for bugcheck codes (or requires diagnostic or development kits to figure them out) but according to them figuring yours out should be straightforward.

Ihmemies
Oct 6, 2012

Sininu posted:

Read your post for answer to your question.

You can still enable full screen start menu from options in windows 10, if anyone really misses it. You don't need a separate app for that...

Autorun apps you want always. Pin heavier most-used apps to taskbar(s). Pin less-used apps to start menu. Let the "i use these once a year" stay buried in the menu system, then you can search for them by typing when needed!

Some keyboards even have hotkeys you can bind launch macros etc. to.

Ihmemies fucked around with this message at 20:00 on Dec 4, 2017

Squatch Ambassador
Nov 12, 2008

What? Never seen a shaved Squatch before?

Ihmemies posted:

The only real complaint I have with the Win10 start menu is how the programs list doesn't display sub folders. That's mostly because at work I deal with a lot of software suites that dump all the start menu entries in subfolders under the developer name. I end up manually editing the structure in programdata so that users don't have to look through that mess to find the right shortcut.

Raygereio
Nov 12, 2012

Ihmemies posted:

Windows 10 pretty much works just like windows 8
Yes, exactly. That's the problem.

xamphear
Apr 9, 2002

SILK FOR CALDÉ!
There's been a start menu since Windows 95, and if you count it, 98, XP, 7, 8, and 10 as all distinct variants, there have been 6 of them over the years. And yet, people who don't like 8's or 10's, or strongly prefer 7's, are just weirdos who hate change. Maybe change is fine as long as it's progression and not regression? Maybe people were happy to see change when it made things better and not worse?

redeyes
Sep 14, 2002

by Fluffdaddy
Honestly from all the people ive seen bitch about 8 and 10, the only things that matter for the start menu are having a SHUTDOWN worded button and DOCUMENTS, PICTURES, MUSIC, and the list of the last 10 apps they loaded. The rest is optional and extraneous.

Volguus
Mar 3, 2009

redeyes posted:

Honestly from all the people ive seen bitch about 8 and 10, the only things that matter for the start menu are having a SHUTDOWN worded button and DOCUMENTS, PICTURES, MUSIC, and the list of the last 10 apps they loaded. The rest is optional and extraneous.

Which is the only way it should be. The rest is extraneous and takes screen estate. Wooooo ... candy crush something!!! Go to loving hell microsoft and shove that junk down your throat. Progress implies change. Change does not, never did and never will imply progress.

Rev. Bleech_
Oct 19, 2004

~OKAY, WE'LL DRINK TO OUR LEGS!~

what sort of chumpass rodent hasn't just been hitting the start key and the first couple of letters of whatever they want to run since like 2007 anyway

Volguus
Mar 3, 2009

Rev. Bleech_ posted:

what sort of chumpass rodent hasn't just been hitting the start key and the first couple of letters of whatever they want to run since like 2007 anyway

Ever since said rodent tried the new fancy "Search" thingy back in ... whatever it was they launched windows 7, found it useless at best, but only mildly inconvenient since it only took very little screen space, and never touched it again. Also, said rodent has heard that in the latest incarnations it can even search the web for you. Wooooo.

May 11, 2011

by Cyrano4747
Ran a memtest86, all good. Also did chkdsk on the older SSD, all good.

dont be mean to me posted:

Chkdsk as a boot process (whatever that screen with the dot-spinner and the manufacturer or Windows logo is called) isn't really programmed to disclose full progress information. I know on all of mine it will sit at one early percentage while it finishes the bulk of its work.

As for diagnosing your error, Microsoft doesn't always have full details for bugcheck codes (or requires diagnostic or development kits to figure them out) but according to them figuring yours out should be straightforward.

The most recent critical error has a bugcode of 122, and the other 2 from yesterday are 30 and 0, even though it said kernal data inpage error on the bluescreen. All of the criticals say kernel power, does that mean my PSU is toast?

Zero VGS
Aug 16, 2002
ASK ME ABOUT HOW HUMAN LIVES THAT MADE VIDEO GAME CONTROLLERS ARE WORTH MORE
Lipstick Apathy

Rev. Bleech_ posted:

lol you expect me to type on a keyboard? Seriously, pin to taskbar for apps I use all the time, Classic Shell for the alphabetical list of all apps and a quick way to get to the control panel stuff, who needs to be typing poo poo?

nielsm
Jun 1, 2009

Ran a memtest86, all good. Also did chkdsk on the older SSD, all good.

The most recent critical error has a bugcode of 122, and the other 2 from yesterday are 30 and 0, even though it said kernal data inpage error on the bluescreen. All of the criticals say kernel power, does that mean my PSU is toast?

"Kernel-Power" type events just means that, from the view of the OS, the computer turned on or off. A Critial Kernel-Power event is typically any "looks like the computer turned off without a nominal shutdown".

GRINDCORE MEGGIDO
Feb 28, 1985

Volguus posted:

Which is the only way it should be. The rest is extraneous and takes screen estate. Wooooo ... candy crush something!!!

There's some useless bs apps that I can't remove from the start menu. Apart from that, and the search being useless, I don't mind the new start menu at all but it takes quite a bit of bullshit removal.

Bouncing around all the settings after a new install is.... A mess though and totally schizophrenic.

GRINDCORE MEGGIDO fucked around with this message at 11:20 on Dec 5, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bobfather
Sep 20, 2001

I will analyze your nervous system for beer money
Suggested Apps in the 10 Start menu are horseshit, as are the Metro games installed in the 10 Start menu that aren't in the Program area of Settings.