Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Comptroll The Forums
Apr 25, 2007

DON'T HURT MY FEE FEES!

Athanatos posted:

I'd like to see the Ohtani and Stanton decisions made within minutes of each other.

In a catastrophic mixup, Stanton goes to the Mariners and Ohtani to the Cardinals

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

A city that was to live by night after the wilderness had passed. A city that was to forge out of steel and blood-red neon its own peculiar wilderness.
Gonna have a joint press conference to say they are going to the Giants lol

Carlosologist
Oct 13, 2013

Revelry in the Dark

mods please make the thread title "The True Meaning of Ohtani", it has a very Christmas vibe to it

bawfuls
Oct 28, 2009

Carlosologist posted:

mods please make the thread title "The True Meaning of Ohtani", it has a very Christmas vibe to it
seconded

Dutchy
Jul 8, 2010

Carlosologist posted:

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

Carlosologist posted:

Inspector_666
Oct 7, 2003

benny with the good hair
The true meaning of Ohtani is to make us all Padres fans.

Poque
Sep 11, 2003

=^-^=
I hope he goes to the AL so Yankee fans can boo him every year for no reason

Spoeank
Jul 16, 2003

That's a nice set of 11 dynasty points there, it would be a shame if 3 rings were to happen with it

Dexo posted:

Gonna have a joint press conference to say they are going to the Giants lol

But they act like the press conference is just for one and at the end BOOM the other comes out.

In reality I'm resigned to Stanton on the Cards and Ohtani on the Mariners but a man can dream.

rickiep00h
Aug 16, 2010

BATDANCE

Spoeank posted:

But they act like the press conference is just for one and at the end BOOM the other comes out.

BAW GAWD THAT'S STANTON'S MUSIC

ScottyJSno
Aug 16, 2010

日本が大好きです!

Finally had time to update for real.

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

A city that was to live by night after the wilderness had passed. A city that was to forge out of steel and blood-red neon its own peculiar wilderness.
https://twitter.com/Ken_Rosenthal/status/937672406935785472

Update your maps.

Carlosologist
Oct 13, 2013

Revelry in the Dark

Maybe we’ll discover the true meaning of Ohtani deep in the heart of Texas

Petanque
Apr 14, 2008

Ca va bien aller
Ohtani's name in Japanese means "big valley" so clearly Chavez Ravine is the frontrunner here

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

Well, of course I know him.
He's me.

Thanks a lot, Yuli :argh:

Good list aside from Texas and LA though.

Mike_V
Jul 31, 2004

3/18/2023: Day of the Dorks
"I want to go to a team that is not a powerhouse" *includes the Dodgers and Cubs on final list*

Inspector_666
Oct 7, 2003

benny with the good hair

Mike_V posted:

"I want to go to a team that is not a powerhouse" *includes the Dodgers and Cubs on final list*

So much of the stuff Ohtani is said to want is just hearsay. The Cubs and Rangers are the two that are the most surprising to me, though, given the geography stuff that has seemed to be borne out so far.

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

He's me.
Ohtani just wants some free bbq and deep dish before turning them down

OJ MIST 2 THE DICK
Sep 11, 2008

Anytime I need to see your face I just close my eyes
And I am taken to a place
Where your crystal minds and magenta feelings
Take up shelter in the base of my spine
Sweet like a chica cherry cola

-Cheap Trick

Nap Ghost

I hope he goes to the Reds

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

I know Maddon has been talking up in interviews letting Ohtani pitch and play, with the only caveat being not playing the field the day after he pitches.

Popete
Oct 6, 2009

This will make sure you don't suggest to the KDz
That he should grow greens instead of crushing on MCs

Grimey Drawer
Every article/Tweet regarding Ohtani has at least one angry Yankees fan saying that Ohtani is too scared to play for the Yankees and it's fantastic.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

I've taken all the stories about what Ohtani wants with the necessary grain of salt but the Cubs just don't seem to match any of them. Maybe he's enamored by the history or they made a really great sell job but that's the one that just makes it impossible for me to get a real sense of where this thing is at.

Big Mean Jerk posted:

Ohtani just wants some free bbq and deep dish before turning them down

Although that makes sense.

Inspector_666 posted:

It seems like a lot of non-New Yorkers don't realize the NYDN is very much a tabloid.

I think a lot of non NYers became aware of DN vs Post with all the Trump stuff but don't realize they're both rags on opposite sides of a yellow journalism war.

Canned Sunshine
Nov 20, 2005

CAUTION: POST QUALITY UNDER CONSTRUCTION

STAC Goat posted:

I've taken all the stories about what Ohtani wants with the necessary grain of salt but the Cubs just don't seem to match any of them. Maybe he's enamored by the history or they made a really great sell job but that's the one that just makes it impossible for me to get a real sense of where this thing is at.

There’s the fact the Cubs need two new starters so he’d instantly slot in, he could play outfield when not pitching since there’s flexibility there, and no other Japanese players on the team now.

Edit: and with the various uncertainties I’m not sure I’d call the Cubs a powerhouse...

BigBallChunkyTime
Nov 25, 2011

Kyle Schwarber: World Series hero, Beefy Lad, better than you.

Illegal Hen

SourKraut posted:

There’s the fact the Cubs need two new starters so he’d instantly slot in, he could play outfield when not pitching since there’s flexibility there, and no other Japanese players on the team now.

Edit: and with the various uncertainties I’m not sure I’d call the Cubs a powerhouse...

Plus the media wouldnt poo poo all over him the first time he has a bad game.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

The "no other Japanese player" thing is fair (but I imagine not a unique case, although I haven't checked) but the position and rotation stuff kind of just sounds like the basic job requirement. Like if some team is saying "Sign with us and compete for a rotation spot in spring training" or "Sign with us but we're never letting you hit or field" they probably have an X on them.

Like, the idea I've started to form of the guy is that along with some basic weather and living preferences he just doesn't want to have to deal with a team that expects him to win them a championships in Year 1 or will scrutinize any struggles he has. To which... yeah, run far away from NY because we're assholes who will totally boo you in May if you aren't performing. We suck like that. But if he's seriously considering Chicago it seems like then he either really loves the pizza or got really into 2016 or something. Or they just did a really good job selling themselves over his reservations/preferences. Which if they did, more power to them.

And no, Chicago might not be NY but lets not pretend they're some small market, relaxed fanbase or anything.

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute
^^^
Ohtani's agent has already clarified that "smaller market" was just code for "not NYC" hence Chicago/SF/LA being on the list. What it was about NYC that Ohtani didn't care for has not been clarified, the whole "He hates the media circus!" line is just conjecture.

Everything I've seen has said the Cubs made the cut entirely on the strength of a phenomenal and "creative" pitch, whatever that means. I still think the Cubs are a long shot to actually sign him given the obvious west coast bias, but at least they got their foot in the door.

Sydin fucked around with this message at 18:27 on Dec 4, 2017

Pancakes
May 21, 2001

Crypto-Rump Roast

Sydin posted:

Everything I've seen has said the Cubs made the cut entirely on the strength of a phenomenal and "creative" pitch, whatever that means. I still think the Cubs are a long shot to actually sign him given the obvious west coast bias, but at least they got their foot in the door.

“Cubshine Lollipops” on loop.

Longpig Bard
Dec 29, 2004

I hope the Shigetoshi Hasegawa legacy is not too great to scare away Ohtani!

What position does he play? Pitcher and DH?

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

Sydin posted:

^^^
Ohtani's agent has already clarified that "smaller market" was just code for "not NYC" hence Chicago/SF/LA being on the list. What it was about NYC that Ohtani didn't care for has not been clarified, the whole "He hates the media circus!" line is just conjecture.

Well that's sort of what I mean. My personal picture of the guy is that he isn't afraid of big markets or anything but that he recognizes the pressure and expectations on him so doesn't really want to be in a position with a top contender or massive media crush where his every move will be scrutinized and if he has a mediocre season he'll be hyper analyzed all season. SF seems ok for that, LA a little less so but still not as bad as NY, but Chicago seems a lot closer to NY in that regard.

That and he seems to want to live in a particular geography/climate.

But like, its all guess work and conjecture and whatever. I'm just saying Chicago doesn't fit the personal bullshit narrative I've worked out in my head. Which is saying nothing but its a cold stove.

seiferguy
Jun 9, 2005

FLAWED
INTUITION

Toilet Rascal
Bah gawd

https://mobile.twitter.com/BNightengale/status/937482516331618304

Longpig Bard
Dec 29, 2004

No

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

I wouldn't be surprised if Seattle has the inside edge because of their history with Ichiro.

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

He's me.
Make Seattle Cool Again

Inspector_666
Oct 7, 2003

benny with the good hair

bumming your scene posted:

What position does he play? Pitcher and DH?

Pitcher/DH and he used to play RF a couple of years ago.

Meydey
Dec 31, 2005
Cruz already said that he would play RF when Ohtani wants to DH. Lets do this Mariners!

Dr. Fraiser Chain
May 18, 2004

Redlining my shit posting machine

I'd rather he go to a team with a chance to win something before he retires

Intruder
Mar 5, 2003

I look forward to the few games he gets shelled and has to be pulled early (every pitcher has a few) and the Mariners are hosed with no DH

ZenVulgarity
Oct 9, 2012

I made the hat by transforming my zen

Ohtani to the Ms would legit own

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute

Several GM's also thought NYC was the clear-cut front runner and that turned out well. It is also incongruent with the belief that Ohtani as much as possible wants to avoid being compared to other Japanese stars. Would be a touch difficult to not get compared to Ichiro if he went to Seattle.

Not that there isn't a very real chance he won't sign there given they were one of the very first teams we heard made the cut, but I'm taking any "GM inside scoop" news with a grain of salt at this point.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

New Concept Hole
Oct 10, 2012

東方動的
The Mariners are actually just trying to get more designated hitters and don't even realize Ohtani can pitch

• Locked thread