Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Breadallelogram
Oct 9, 2012

The Crotch posted:

Presumably: Carpenter, Verhoeven, Herzog, Curtis. Maybe Lynch?

I think Matt is anti-Lynch

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Trabisnikof
Dec 24, 2005

Eisenstein too.

Bryter
Nov 6, 2011

but since we are small we may-
uh, we may be the losers

Breadallelogram posted:

Matt reconfirmed as worst chapo

420 Gank Mid
Dec 26, 2008

WARNING: This poster is a huge bitch!

Sephyr posted:

Whedon's stuff never sat well with me. One of my GFs went to great lengths to try and get me into Buffy. I didn't think it was -bad-, just never found anything to hold my interest, bit it was still

More recently, a girl I was dating got me to watch Mr. Horrible's sing-along (or something) with her because it was her favorite thing ever, and I found it really, really bad. His brand of "Oh look it's all so clever, cutesy and whimsical, the hero is giving wedgies to the villainOHMIGOD the gun blew up and the cute girls is BLEEDING SLOWLY TO HER DEATH, HER SHRAPNEL-RIDDLED BODY ALMOST SAINTLY IN NEAR-DEATH" is just radioactive there.

The cool thing was that she and I talked about it and she understood why I didn't like it, and no one patronized anyone. I get the feeling my actual ex always thought that my failure to appreciate Joss and his weeping power-waifs was a moral stain on me.

Dr. Horrible is a lot funnier after you realize the Joss Whedon self-insert character is Captain Hammer.

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!

sexpig by night posted:

In many ways Stalin was the ultimate 'director'

One of the latest TARFU Reports has the segment "Who Said It: David Mamet or Kim Jong-il?"

TomViolence
Feb 19, 2013

PLEASE ASK ABOUT MY 80,000 WORD WALLACE AND GROMIT SLASH FICTION. PLEASE.

Breadallelogram posted:

Matt kind of hates everything as far as I can tell, even the things he likes, and then himself for liking them. So what I'm saying is I strongly identify with Matt.

Guy Goodbody
Aug 31, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo

super fart shooter posted:

firefly was cool at the time because there weren't really any other space/sci-fi shows like that, but now that's not true anymore and even back then I thought the writing was really embarassing and bad. also it was really dumb and unimaginative how they took the "space western" concept so literally that every time they'd land on a planet everyone was riding around on horses wearing dusters and shooting old fashioned lever action rifles or whatever

Dude, Firefly came out years after Cowboy Bebop and Outlaw Star. And it ripped off Outlaw Star hard. setting aside general tone or character archetype stuff that you could argue was just coincidental, the first episode being about a smuggler discovering that their cargo contains a strange black-haired girl cryogenically frozen in the fetal position who is wanted by the government because of their unique abilities is a pretty loving big coincidence

The biggest difference is that Outlaw Star is a good show.

Guy Goodbody fucked around with this message at 04:13 on Dec 3, 2017

Guy Goodbody
Aug 31, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo
Outlaw Star actually blended Western genre conventions with Asian spirituality and culture to make an interesting universe, as opposed to just having a bunch of white people swear in Chinese despite there not being a single asian person with a speaking role.

Guy Goodbody
Aug 31, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo
I was mad about Firefly ripping off Outlaw Star when it came out, and I'm still mad about it now

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

Guy Goodbody posted:

Outlaw Star actually blended Western genre conventions with Asian spirituality and culture to make an interesting universe, as opposed to just having a bunch of white people swear in Chinese despite there not being a single asian person with a speaking role.

yea it's weeby as poo poo but I genuinely liked Firefly better when it was called Outlaw Star because wow did Joss bite that hard, but worse. Outlaw wasn't perfect at its own run at the 'space western' style but yea at least it had more ambitions than 'we have the white guy say 'that's bullshit' in Mandarin sometimes between gunfights'.

sub supau
Aug 28, 2007

Guy Goodbody posted:

In incredibly loving bad and painful to listen to Chinese at that.

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

TetsuoTW posted:

In incredibly loving bad and painful to listen to Chinese at that.

*extremely took one Chinese cooking class voice*

"This guy is sure full of *fàng pì* am I right fellow cool outlaw swear boys"

Analytic Engine
May 18, 2009

not the analytical engine

Guy Goodbody posted:

pagua sunfa,
pagua sunfa,
pagua sunfa,
pagua sunfa,
PAGUA SUNFA

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-KDyY6oH33g

Pomplamoose
Jun 28, 2008

Sephyr posted:

Agreed. Maybe it's just a personal chemistry thing. Gunn's mood shifts don't feel as cheap or melodramatic to me, mostly because he starts from a different place.

poo poo, I even remember one loose Buffy episode I watched ages ago that had a big reveal that the protagonist had come back to life but she was in heaven before and was pissed at her friends for bringing her back to her lovely life. An interesting concept in itself, but it just felt maudlin and off.

Whedon-talk aside, is there any director the crew unanimously likes? Other than, say, David Cronenberg.

Kubrick, the Coen Brothers

Breadallelogram posted:

I don't know if he's anti-Lynch but it wouldn't surprise me if he was. He seems to dislike movies that deemphasize narrative and focus more on aesthetics, mood, and symbolism. For example he dislikes Blade Runner and most Refn films. He did give Bronson a positive review though.

achillesforever6 posted:

:lol: His Only God Forgives review

I'm ambivalent about Only God Forgives, but his review isn't wrong.

achillesforever6
Apr 23, 2012

psst you wanna do a communism?

Pomplamoose posted:

I'm ambivalent about Only God Forgives, but his review isn't wrong.
Yeah I'm not big on Only God Forgives (the trailers for it were great)

Bronson is amazing and he is also right about Crank 2: High Voltage

X-Ray Pecs
May 11, 2008

New York
Ice Cream
TV
Travel
~Good Times~

cat doter posted:

alien covenant and shin godzilla are so dumb and broad and obvious that I get drat near shocked when people talk about them being good

Shin Godzilla's a drat well-crafted film, the dialogue and editing are so snappy that it just flies, and to me it never felt like I was mostly watching boardroom meetings, because it's just blasting into the next scene. Also it's got a drat cool Godzilla redesign, and amazing city-leveling action. God drat I love Shin Godzilla.

Phobophilia
Apr 26, 2008

by Hand Knit
I'm going to quote my take on Shin Godzilla:

Phobophilia posted:

Just watched Shin on the plane. If there's a theme to it, the moral of the story is that they want to repeal article 9, not because they want to end accountability to the outside world, but because they want to take responsibility and stand as equals. It is all in the spirit of international cooperation, US drone strikes, French research labs, Chinese tankers. And they fight Godzilla with symbols of Japanese industrial might: chemical plants, trains, repurposed construction equipment. Guns and tanks and nukes were a mere distraction. If there is nationalism, it is not pernicious.

Phobophilia
Apr 26, 2008

by Hand Knit
Also I'm a little behind, just got through 162 at the gym, holy lmao the bit where the french commandos have to convert to islam to storm the grand mosque, and had to collect koran pages had me rolling.

pseudosavior
Apr 14, 2006

Don't you do cocaine at ME,
you son of a bitch!
I was not expecting the Chapo thread to suddenly and totally sell me on finally watching Outlaw Star, but gently caress it, the world works in strange ways.

Also, Matt's right about Lynch.
He's great, sure, but if you need to take a 300-level class on "How to properly understand whatever the gently caress you just saw", it's Not a Good Movie.

TomViolence
Feb 19, 2013

PLEASE ASK ABOUT MY 80,000 WORD WALLACE AND GROMIT SLASH FICTION. PLEASE.

If you're watching David Lynch under the impression that anything you witness is to be understood I think you're doing it wrong.

Joementum
May 23, 2004

jesus christ
Yeah, the people who try to tie all the threads together in work where he’s very explicit about it being an arbitrary dream world are funny.

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth
David Lynch constantly: "I create hosed up dreamscapes barely grounded in reality let alone continuity unless the story requires it. They're meant to be enjoyed alone as their own thing scene by scene."

Every film student: "Right but what about my essay on why every project he's ever worked on are actually connected by rock solid tethers?"

cenotaph
Mar 2, 2013

Those are film studies students, who the production kids laugh at.

Bulkiest Toaster
Jan 22, 2013

by R. Guyovich
But they all do clearly have a thread behind them. Lost Highway for instance is clearly about a man being cucked.

Breadallelogram
Oct 9, 2012

I find Lynch stuff super interesting but he himself describes his process as just coming up with interesting images and then using his intuition to build some kind of story around them on the fly. I understand why some people aren't into it.

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

Bulkiest Toaster posted:

But they all do clearly have a thread behind them. Lost Highway for instance is clearly about a man being cucked.

all art is about a man being cucked, at the end of the day.

Dr. Killjoy
Oct 9, 2012

:thunk::mason::brainworms::tinfoil::thunkher:
At the bare bones of it Twin Peaks Season 3 is about a man being cucked by both an inferior and superior version of himself.

Jonas Albrecht
Jun 7, 2012

Felix completely mad in the new episode.

KICK BAMA KICK
Mar 2, 2009

This is the angriest Chapo ever. Just nonstop yelling.

cat doter
Jul 27, 2006

gonna need more cheese...australia has a lot of crackers

Breadallelogram posted:

I find Lynch stuff super interesting but he himself describes his process as just coming up with interesting images and then using his intuition to build some kind of story around them on the fly. I understand why some people aren't into it.

I think he's just being modest, a lot of people tell stories this way especially filmmakers, he's just more honest about it

Okuteru
Nov 10, 2007

Choose this life you're on your own
Angry Félix is the best Chapo.

Jonas Albrecht
Jun 7, 2012

Goddamn 2018 is going to suck. Even if the Democrats retake the house and senate, by strong margins even, they're still gonna try to do a bill with GOP input.

Apoplexy
Mar 9, 2003

by Shine
“This is at The Saban Forum”

Felix: “I’m permabanned from that forum. I’m SettlementStomper58”

Virgil: “Beat me by a second.”

Phobophilia
Apr 26, 2008

by Hand Knit
i hope theres a chapo take on the new will smith vehicle with orcs and elves and cops by the suicide squad dude because holy poo poo this is going to be insanely unwoke

cat doter
Jul 27, 2006

gonna need more cheese...australia has a lot of crackers

Phobophilia posted:

i hope theres a chapo take on the new will smith vehicle with orcs and elves and cops by the suicide squad dude because holy poo poo this is going to be insanely unwoke

what the gently caress that doesn't sound real

Okuteru
Nov 10, 2007

Choose this life you're on your own

cat doter posted:

what the gently caress that doesn't sound real

https://youtu.be/6EZCBSsBxko

It's basically Shadowrun without the corporate overlords.

scary ghost dog
Aug 5, 2007

Phobophilia posted:

by suicide squad dude do you mean will smith

Serf
May 5, 2011

scary ghost dog posted:

by suicide squad dude do you mean will smith

nah, david ayer is the director

dude only knows how to make 1 movie but its a fuckin good movie

Sandweed
Sep 7, 2006

All your friends are me.

New episode is good.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sub supau
Aug 28, 2007

Serf posted:

nah, david ayer is the director

dude only knows how to make 1 movie but its a fuckin good movie
except this time it is written by max landis so it's going to be a tug of war between fuckin good movie and stupid bullshit