Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

8-Bit Scholar
Jan 23, 2016

by FactsAreUseless
oh god Azami is scary in a traditional sense

I'm loving these rare blades though. I just unlocked some military-themed one that is pretty aces. I've gotten enough Rares now that I need to be thoughtful about who I equip them to. And it seems Overdrives are really really rare still?

8-Bit Scholar fucked around with this message at 15:59 on Dec 4, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zore
Sep 21, 2010
willfully illiterate, aggressively miserable sourpuss whose sole raison d’etre is to put other people down for liking the wrong things
Tora eventually gets 3 blades. The second is unlocked via the main story and the third via a sidequest

They're all Poppi doing robot transformations with different weapons. Second is a dodge tank and third form is an attacker by default

ThisIsACoolGuy
Nov 2, 2010

Shaped like a friend

Can I melt down the generic BLADEs I pull or something?

I have 12 common boxes and I'd like to open them but I don't want to flood my screen with a million of the same icons. That and I doubt it'll let me have infinite room.

DalaranJ
Apr 15, 2008

Yosuke will now die for you.
Let me ask my question from a different angle then. When and where do Boosters start dropping?

Zore
Sep 21, 2010
willfully illiterate, aggressively miserable sourpuss whose sole raison d’etre is to put other people down for liking the wrong things

ThisIsACoolGuy posted:

I have 12 common boxes and I'd like to open them but I don't want to flood my screen with a million of the same icons. That and I doubt it'll let me have infinite room.

Yeah, though you'll want to keep a variety of weapon types/models/elements/field abilities. There's a mechanic in Chapter 4 where you send excess blades on side missions and vastly expanded your blade capacity.

DalaranJ posted:

Let me ask my question from a different angle then. When and where do Boosters start dropping?

You can get them from some chests and by turning salvage in at the exchanges.

Also recycling a blade gives you one for every star they have.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"
Anyone know a good spot in Gormott to find Salty Soil?

ThisIsACoolGuy posted:

You can release them from the Manage Blade menu. You'll get a Booster for doing so.

TF2 HAT MINING RIG posted:

The in-game joke about revealing armor is sweet.
Is it the Heart-to-Heart about Brighid and Pyra ruffling through Tora's "projects" in his house? Yes Tora, do tell the angry fire woman more about how much effort you put into the tail-wiggle protocol of Poppi's Bunnit costume. She's. All. Ears. :toughguy:

ThisIsACoolGuy
Nov 2, 2010

Shaped like a friend

Thanks! Guess I just glanced over it somehow

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

DalaranJ posted:

I've been finding them in chests hidden around the town right away in Chapter 2.

TurnipFritter
Apr 21, 2010
10,000 POSTS ON TALKING TIME

Sensual Simian posted:

What are the boosters for when opening cores? Should I automatically use all boosters or only 1 or....What the gently caress is a bravery booster and why should I care?

We don't know, but the general guess is that Bravery/Justice/Compassion/Whatever The Last One Is relate to elemental affinities. We think that Boosters increase the chance of the Blade having a specific elemental affinity (if move the cursor over a Booster when you're Bonding a Blade, you'll two opposing elements circling the Crystal).

Calaveron
Aug 7, 2006
:negative:
"So what cutesy noise should our mascot creatures do"
"I don't give a poo poo"
"BRILLIANT"

8-Bit Scholar
Jan 23, 2016

by FactsAreUseless

DalaranJ posted:

Boosters can be acquired by releasing old blades and by trading in collectibles at those trading posts in town. I've also found them in salvage chests and in other incidental places, but releasing old blades is the easiest way.

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

> BEWARE, COWARD :ovr:

How do you decide which blades to mulch and which ones to send out mercin'?

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Ciaphas posted:

That's easy; Do you really need a fourth goddamn Shield-Hammer Blade?

Zore
Sep 21, 2010

Ciaphas posted:

For me-

Do they have field skills?- keep
Dog?- keep (they're really rare and required for a lot of missions)
And minimum of 5/6 every other element and weapon. Now I just mulch the 1 star scrubs with a spear and fire mastery since I have like 4 better ones of him.

Its also worthwhile to keep at least one of every elemental blade on your drivers to make passing some checks easier

Calaveron
Aug 7, 2006
Music is good but nothing is as catchy as say, those who bear their name or God forbid because it's such a good song, mechanical rhythm

Louisgod
Sep 25, 2003

Always Stupid
Bread Liar
Maybe this is :filez: but is there any place to currently get the soundtrack in full? I bought XB1's sountrack years ago and would like to do it for XB2 if possible assuming it has ALL the tracks from the game.

Lord Ephraim
Feb 22, 2008

That's one way to get ahead in life, but nothing beats an axe to the face.
Are certain rare blades more common than others? All my friends have Godfrey and Boreas, but I seem to be the only one with Electra.

Speaking of Electra she has a voiced sidequest and it's pretty funny. Kind of dumb that you can't see it unless you roll her but that's the way the dice falls.

Lessail
Apr 1, 2011

:cry::cry:
tell me how vgk aren't playing like shit again
:cry::cry:
p.s. help my grapes are so sour!

Neddy Seagoon posted:

Do you mean the second Zeke fight? You know the Aegis is truely powerful when she can smash the protagonist through the 4th wall with a slap.

Yep. The back end of that chapter was amazing

DACK FAYDEN
Feb 25, 2013

Bear Witness

Lord Ephraim posted:

Speaking of Electra she has a voiced sidequest and it's pretty funny. Kind of dumb that you can't see it unless you roll her but that's the way the dice falls.
I think the intent is that a player who goes through the whole game will roll at least half the rare Blades and it won't be "that" bad to roll them all

(like, Godfrey has the random merc missions that are just for him!)

Saxophone
Sep 19, 2006

Do we know if rare blades are unique? As in, can I get another KosMos on another character?

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Lessail posted:

Yep. The back end of that chapter was amazing

NOPON, GO!

Zore
Sep 21, 2010

Saxophone posted:

Do we know if rare blades are unique? As in, can I get another KosMos on another character?

Nope, they're unique.

Lord Ephraim posted:

Are certain rare blades more common than others? All my friends have Godfrey and Boreas, but I seem to be the only one with Electra.

We don't know yet. Most of them have a voiced sidequest or heart to heart at least though.

Echophonic
Sep 16, 2005

ha;lp
Gun Saliva

DACK FAYDEN posted:

I think the intent is that a player who goes through the whole game will roll at least half the rare Blades and it won't be "that" bad to roll them all

(like, Godfrey has the random merc missions that are just for him!)

Yeah, I have the book woman and she has merc jobs to unlock her unique ability levels that require opening up more stock at bookstores. Seems like it really varies based on the blade.

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Hello? Can you hear me? ...Perhaps if I shout? AAAAAAAAAH!
Some of the name changes trip me up during conversation, since Homura->Pyra and Hana->Poppi. Also Rex being Yakuza since Tora keeps yelling ANIKIII

^burtle
Jul 17, 2001

God of Boomin'

Ornamented Death posted:

Are monsters at or just below your party supposed to be HP sponges? I'm keeping my core chips up to date as much as possible, and I'm never in any real danger of dying, but it just feels like it takes forever to chew through all the HP on common enemies. I can understand big, tanky monsters like all the random dinosaurs wandering around, having huge amounts of HP, but it seems like loving mosquitoes of the same level have just as much HP and that's just stupid.

This is my first Xenoblade game but it really feels like everything needs a 25% health reduction. I'm assuming the dps goes up the higher levels you go, but fighting a monster the same or level or two higher than my party is like a 5-10 minute affair in Chapter 3.

Poppi Question: Does unlocking her ability to change cores make changes happen during the battle, or do you just unlock the ability to chose what element she is at any given time?

Zore
Sep 21, 2010

^burtle posted:

This is my first Xenoblade game but it really feels like everything needs a 25% health reduction. I'm assuming the dps goes up the higher levels you go, but fighting a monster the same or level or two higher than my party is like a 5-10 minute affair in Chapter 3.

Poppi Question: Does unlocking her ability to change cores make changes happen during the battle, or do you just unlock the ability to chose what element she is at any given time?

You can just change her permanent element through Poppiswap like the rest of her upgrades, can't switch elements midbattle.

^burtle
Jul 17, 2001

God of Boomin'

Makes sense, thanks!

Devoyniche
Dec 21, 2008
So it seems like you get a roulette chance of 3 different guys each time you use a core, is that right? I was just, I noticed that they have those three flashing silhouettes; you can kinda see what youre gonna get. Rares flash orange and have a different shaped silhouette. I wonder if there is any way to influence how it will land? I know it didnt work but Im thinking of poo poo like, "down and a" when trying to catch pokemon. I tried hitting a few buttons while the roulette was going, and I got a few rares, but I know that's just placebo.

What do boosters do?

I also wonder if some of the rares are kinda of gated behind story progression? I didnt start spamming crystals until about when I was building the boat, but I didnt start getting rares until after Uraya I think. And some of the rare's skill unlocks are things like "Kill x of ____ enemy in Uraya".

Devoyniche fucked around with this message at 18:25 on Dec 4, 2017

Calaveron
Aug 7, 2006

Devoyniche posted:

So it seems like you get a roulette chance of 3 different guys each time you use a core, is that right? I was just, I noticed that they have those three flashing silhouettes; you can kinda see what youre gonna get. Rares flash orange and have a different shaped silhouette. I wonder if there is any way to influence how it will land? I know it didnt work but Im thinking of poo poo like, "down and a" when trying to catch pokemon. I tried hitting a few buttons while the roulette was going, and I got a few rares, but I know that's just placebo.

What do boosters do?

Also if Roc and Wulfric are anything to go by (because I can't recall if my Asami did) Rares only flash once

DalaranJ
Apr 15, 2008

Aphrodite posted:

I've been finding them in chests hidden around the town right away in Chapter 2.

Yeah, that’s the problem. They’re found as a one time drop and I have no idea how rare or important they are.

^burtle
Jul 17, 2001

God of Boomin'

Devoyniche posted:

What do boosters do?

I also wonder if some of the rares are kinda of gated behind story progression? I didnt start spamming crystals until about when I was building the boat, but I didnt start getting rares until after Uraya I think. And some of the rare's skill unlocks are things like "Kill x of ____ enemy in Uraya".

Boosters are tied to elements I believe, so Bravery I think is fire for instance, using a Bravery booster increases your odds of pulling a fire blade.

Zore
Sep 21, 2010

DalaranJ posted:

Yeah, that’s the problem. They’re found as a one time drop and I have no idea how rare or important they are.

They aren't at all.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

So just to confirm and make sure Im not crazy, if I level up a weapon art and then later swap the blade Im using to a new one with the same weapon, I wont have to reupgrade the weapon art, correct?

DalaranJ
Apr 15, 2008

^burtle posted:

Boosters are tied to elements I believe, so Bravery I think is fire for instance, using a Bravery booster increases your odds of pulling a fire blade.

Does this mean that different characters have different chances for element pulls based on what’s in their thought cloud?

Zore
Sep 21, 2010

Barudak posted:

So just to confirm and make sure Im not crazy, if I level up a weapon art and then later swap the blade Im using to a new one with the same weapon, I wont have to reupgrade the weapon art, correct?

Correct. Weapon art levels are tied to the Driver and are the same for every Blade that uses that weapon, though Drivers themselves have different arts per weapon.

Like Nia gets a Topple with Greataxes while Rex gets a Launch etc.

This is incidently why its difficult to 'cross class' people even outside of being stuck with certain Blades. Rex doesn't get direct healing spells with any of the Healer blades, only the spawn potions so he's always a worse healer than Nia.

abraxas
Apr 6, 2004

"It's a Yuletide!"

Neddy Seagoon posted:

Anyone know a good spot in Gormott to find Salty Soil?

I asked yesterday and still have no idea where to find any. If you happen to come across any Salty Soil for what I assume must be the same side quest I'm on, pretty please do post about it here because gently caress waddling along random digging points hoping for the right poo poo to fly out ugh.

e: I love you Zore, and I get off work in 10 minutes so my dumb tiny brain can probably remember that long enough for me to actually finish this quest!

abraxas fucked around with this message at 18:50 on Dec 4, 2017

Zore
Sep 21, 2010

abraxas posted:

I asked yesterday and still have no idea where to find any. If you happen to come across any Salty Soil for what I assume must be the same side quest I'm on, pretty please do post about it here because gently caress waddling along random digging points hoping for the right poo poo to fly out ugh.

Uraya Stone Gate Ruins quick travel spot. Its right near there.

Rainuwastaken
Oct 30, 2012

Another blue ribbon for Hecarim.

Louisgod posted:

Maybe this is :filez: but is there any place to currently get the soundtrack in full? I bought XB1's sountrack years ago and would like to do it for XB2 if possible assuming it has ALL the tracks from the game.

There's a soundtrack CD that came with the collector's edition I think? It doesn't seem to have all the tracks, but someone ripped them a few hours ago over on /r/Xenoblade_Chronicles. I'd post a link but I don't want to catch Lowtax going through my wallet again.

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

Im in chapter 3 and I haven't gotten a single unique blade, I've opened probably 15 loot cubes and have never gotten anything better than 1 crown. This is absolutely the worst system in the game, just let me pick a weapon instead of wasting time in all these unskippable cutscenes waiting for one I want to actually use!!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Saxophone
Sep 19, 2006

There's apparently a "thing" where a certain salvage site yields both a common and a rare very consistently. This may get patched out so if it's something you'd be interested in, I wouldn't update without reading patch notes.

I might build up a stock of them.