Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

unwantedplatypus
Sep 6, 2012

Crazycryodude posted:

Comrades,

We understand that our offer of the Defense Ministry to the DAL has been.... controversial. And while we still stand by our initial decision, the SRLF must bow to the popular will and rescind the offer. The Defense Ministry will remain under the control of the SRLF, but to ensure that the DAL remains heard, we shall relinquish the Justice Ministry to their full control. We hope this reflects our commitment to the ideals of the revolution, and a promise that all criminals of the former regime will be brought to justice and be made to answer for their crimes. We're not here to create a terror, but justice must be done, fairly and evenly. We'd also like to clarify that the CLF's ability to police their communities will be recognized and legitimized through the newly proposed Militia Union, cementing the people's power in this new Sirta.

This new government is off to a troubling start

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Crazycryodude
Aug 15, 2015

Lets get our X tons of Duranium back!

....Is that still a valid thing to jingoistically blow out of proportion?

What makes you say that?

Godlovesus
Oct 16, 2015

Ask me about continually throwing myself at the enemy and losing every single time in EU4 Multiplayer.
ReSeAu enters the Parliamentary Chamber, signalling his desire to speak.

We of the Union of Civil Service, having undertaken numerous consultations within our party, have come to a consensus.

Our party accepts the offer given by the SRLF to participate in the formation in the new government in return for the Portfolio of Finance and Speakership.

This was not an easily reached decision and we admit there was much consternation with regards to the DAL being placed in charge of the defense forces. After mediation and negotiation between various parties, we are glad that the SRLF has provided a reasonable compromise for all parties involved.

Ladies and Gentlemen, while I understand that we may have been on opposing sides in the conflict and be of differing ideologies, we must not forget that we are all Sirtians. It is time to put aside our enmity and reunited to build our nation side by side, for a house divided against itself cannot stand.

I implore all parties to work together despite our disagreements, to rebuild our nation together and demonstrate that this government intends to move forward together.

As Speaker and in the Ministry of Finance, The UCS pledge to take any and all steps necessary to ensure people can look upon our government with trust and pride.

Godlovesus fucked around with this message at 05:34 on Dec 3, 2017

Crazycryodude
Aug 15, 2015

I just realized I haven't made my vote official, so here's officially voting ReSeAu as Speaker.

Tythas
Oct 3, 2013

Never felt at home in reality
Always hiding behind avatars

I know it's late but i would like to register for the SRLF

Crazycryodude
Aug 15, 2015

Added!

AFancyQuestionMark
Feb 19, 2017

Long time no see.
A couple of hours after the leader of the UCS made his speech, Lenore Hughes goes up on stage to speak:

"I am glad that the coalition seems to be coalescing at a swift pace, and wholeheartedly support the policies and ideas it leans on. I am certain the other members of Dawn feel the same way. Therefore, I officially announce Dawn's entry into the coalition under the agreed terms. May this be the first step on the way to a government that serves the people, helping those in need and providing safety and comfort to all citizens.

In this coalition, I personally won't get to serve as Minister. Nevertheless, I plan to do the utmost to improve life for all of Sirta through legislation and continuous constructive dialogue with the Ministers of this government. We must remember that we are here because of you," she looks into one of the many SCN connected cameras in the hall, "the people, and it is your future that we must strive for!"

AFancyQuestionMark
Feb 19, 2017

Long time no see.
January 3062 Parliament Speaker Selection:

Nominees: ReSeAu Gen.

Party Breakdown:

* SRLF - 18 ReSeAu Gen

* Dawn - 9 ReSeAu Gen

* UCS - 6 ReSeAu Gen

* DAL - 6 Abstain

* FDG - 3 ReSeAu Gen, 3 Abstain

* FSP - 3 Abstain

* Unity Coalition - 3 Abstain

* KNK - 3 ReSeAu Gen

* The Community - 3 Abstain

* VM - 3 Abstain

Guardian Council Appointments:

* Vera Albright - ReSeAu Gen

* Thomas Gil - Abstain

* Frank Probst - ReSeAu Gen

* Lucia Caldera - ReSeAu Gen

* Sander Hansen - Abstain

* Lisa Wyatt - ReSeAu Gen

* William Viner - ReSeAu Gen

* Roger Rockwell - ReSeAu Gen

* Janet Oliphant - ReSeAu Gen

* Silvia Collins - ReSeAu Gen

* Rachel Hoffman - Abstain

* Paul Thiede - Abstain

* Della Jalbert - ReSeAu Gen

* Sofia Juhl - ReSeAu Gen

* Jade Ross - ReSeAu Gen

Citizen Seats:

* Rutherford T. Vanderbush - Abstain

* Jessica Ramsey - Abstain

* Susanne Brandt - Abstain

* Autumn Black - ReSeAu Gen

* Grace Wright - ReSeAu Gen

Overall: 52 ReSeAu Gen, 28 Abstain.

Outcome: ReSeAu Gen selected as new Parliament speaker.

Congratulations to Godlovesus! Now that you hold this almost entirely ceremonial role, you are in charge of collecting all motions proposed in the drafting phase into one post, looking out for any contradictions with existing law in those proposals, reminding other MPs of the rules and so on. Use your new authority wisely.

Crazycryodude
Aug 15, 2015

Comrade Luxemburg

Comrades, it has been a long few days, but my heart is gladdened by the obvious dedication to Sirta's future among my fellow members of Parliament. The people have spoken, and their representatives are in agreement - let's get to governing. I would like to officially call for a Motion of Confidence in the People's Coalition. The proposed ministerial positions are as follows:

Minister of Justice - Victor Knapfstein (DAL)
Minister of Defence - Comrade Hill (SRLF)
Minister of Internal Security - Comrade Radek (SRLF)
Minister of Foreign Affairs - Rutherford Vanderbush (Citizen seat)
Minister of the Interior - Danube (FDG)
Minister of Finance - ReSeAu Gen (UCS)
Minister of Education - Comrade Bookchin (SRLF)
Minister of Infrastructure - Comrade Luxemburg (SRLF)
Minister of Health - Dr. Xavier Dubois (Dawn)
Attorney General - Roger Rockwell (Guardian Council appointee)

Nothingtoseehere
Nov 11, 2010

Freedom and Stability Party

The Freedom and Stability party Votes against the proposed government. We fear that the DAL in control of the justice ministry will launch a witch-hunt against the rich and former regime members who have done nothing wrong in their haste to find those guility who committed crimes under Greene, and that they will trample over the rights of due process we had a revolution to establish just because of people's background.

The FSP also accepts that this government will be formed regardless, but the principles of democracy we fought to establish means we must make our reservations known: If we receive hostility for it, so be it. Every government needs a opposition.

Crazycryodude
Aug 15, 2015

(Technically there's no voting until the drafting phase is over in a couple days, but your objections are noted)

Nothingtoseehere
Nov 11, 2010

Crazycryodude posted:

(Technically there's no voting until the drafting phase is over in a couple days, but your objections are noted)

(Just seems a bit silly to propose a motion of confidence and not vote on it for two days: I though drafting was only for bills, not motions?)

AFancyQuestionMark
Feb 19, 2017

Long time no see.
Stefan Borisov is the first to go up on stage and respond to Luxemburg's announcement:

"Let me say this, at the conclusion of the negotiations between our parties - the People's Coalition and its' principles are fully in accord with our group's long-term development program. Despite not acquiring everything we set out to, I have no regrets in joining this coalition and working alongside the other parties towards the long-term prosperity of our country.

Like the esteemed Miss Hughes, I will not hold a portfolio in this government, but am unwavering in my confidence in Danube's compatibility with the position. Therefore, I will be working to advance our program through legislation.

That is all."

Next, Victor Knapfstein is the one to speak:

"It is fitting that those who fought alongside us against tyranny in times past are those to join the struggle once more. We are confident that our allies in the SRLF and their partners in this coalition can work with us to deliver justice to the enemies of the people, who have evaded it for far too long. As they used to say in the Popular Resistance - Long Live the Revolution!"

I'll take this opportunity to remind everyone that a Motion of Confidence is no different from any other bill or motion, in that it's proposed in the drafting phase and voted on in the voting phase. In the time remaining in the current drafting phase, feel free to draft as many bills as you want. If your bill requires funding, it will come into effect only after the next Budget Bill is approved.

AFancyQuestionMark fucked around with this message at 21:01 on Dec 3, 2017

unwantedplatypus
Sep 6, 2012
The Community objects to the SRLF putting a guardian council appointee in the position of attorney general. As an unelected group, The Community is opposed to the existence of those seats; and as a continuation of a group of people's own egos to the detriment of others, The Community opposes the Guardian Council itself.

edit: In addition, the inclusion of Rutherford Vanderbush as minister of foreign affairs is something The Community finds odd. What experience does he have that would be beneficial to this job?

unwantedplatypus fucked around with this message at 21:20 on Dec 3, 2017

AFancyQuestionMark
Feb 19, 2017

Long time no see.

unwantedplatypus posted:

The Community objects to the SRLF putting a guardian council appointee in a ministerial position.

Minor nitpick, but the Attorney General isn't a ministerial position.

sniper4625
Sep 26, 2009

Loyal to the hEnd
Comrade Radek

I heartily agree with you, good sir, on the undemocratic nature of the appointed seats. However, that should not condemn the person sitting in them - as the MP with one of if not the strongest legal background, the Honorable Mr. Rockwell was a natural choice.

As to the Honorable Mr. Vanderbrush, I direct you to the FDG, who put for the name for consideration.

Pakled
Aug 6, 2011

WE ARE SMART
Yes, I can field that question. We wanted Mr. Vanderbush as Minister of Foreign Affairs because we believe he, as a very influential man of high ideals, is an asset to the Sirtan government and to our coalition, as well as an excellent face of Sirta to neighbors and to potential investors.

unwantedplatypus
Sep 6, 2012

sniper4625 posted:

Comrade Radek

I heartily agree with you, good sir, on the undemocratic nature of the appointed seats. However, that should not condemn the person sitting in them - as the MP with one of if not the strongest legal background, the Honorable Mr. Rockwell was a natural choice.

As to the Honorable Mr. Vanderbrush, I direct you to the FDG, who put for the name for consideration.

We are not condemning Mr. Rockwell as a person, but as a matter of principle the Guardian Council appointees should not be seen as legitimate.

Pakled posted:

Yes, I can field that question. We wanted Mr. Vanderbush as Minister of Foreign Affairs because we believe he, as a very influential man of high ideals, is an asset to the Sirtan government and to our coalition, as well as an excellent face of Sirta to neighbors and to potential investors.

A man being influential and having high ideals does not in and of itself mean he is a good pick to lead a government ministry. Investors, if foreign investors is something we even want, will be much more concerned with the economic viability of Sirta and the security of their assets rather than just the amicability of the Minister.

Crazycryodude
Aug 15, 2015

Comrade Luxemburg

While the government does not officially have the confidence of Parliament yet, I believe we have enough of a consensus to begin legislating. First and foremost, the issue of the budget. There can be no meaningful progress on any legislation until we properly understand the resources we have available, and with our compromised revenue streams, recognizing our expenses is going to be critical. As such, I request that the budgetary office of Transitional Government prepare an estimate on what operating costs a fully organized government will incur. We know it will cost more, but not how much, and the sooner we have a picture of our expenses, the sooner we can begin tentatively budgeting funds for our various programs.

The Lord of Hats
Aug 22, 2010

Hello, yes! Is being very good day for posting, no?

unwantedplatypus posted:

A man being influential and having high ideals does not in and of itself mean he is a good pick to lead a government ministry. Investors, if foreign investors is something we even want, will be much more concerned with the economic viability of Sirta and the security of their assets rather than just the amicability of the Minister.

I have been doing business in Sirta and abroad for the better part of fifty years now, and I dare say the results speak for themselves. I am keenly aware of the economic realities that Sirta now faces, the opportunities that it can present to foreign investors at this critical juncture, and how and where best to present those opportunities. Frankly, I can only assume you chose to question my qualifications without looking at them. I will not claim that I would be the correct choice in all circumstances, but for our present foreign policy goals, I believe I am more than suited to the task.

HiHo ChiRho
Oct 23, 2010

Comrade Bookchin

Comrades, allow me to introduce the The Sirtan Investment of Schools, Trade, Education Reform Act, aka the SISTER Act:

SISTER ACT posted:

WHEREAS, the Sirtan people have languished with minimal skills and knowledge for too long, and

WHEREAS, they have also suffered from a lack of civic engagement necessary in a free and open democracy, and

WHEREAS, the Sirtan government commits to radical improvements on all levels of the present education system, therefore

BE IT ENACTED BY THE FIRST PARLIAMENT OF REVOLUTIONARY SIRTA:

Section 1. That the government open free trade schools, known as Civic Education Centers (CEC), available to all citizens, by the end of this year.
(a) Priority in construction of CECs will be ordered based on the need of such trade skills by locality, as determined by the Ministry of Education in consultation with the local communities.

Section 2. That the government will ensure that all active schools, colleges and universities are tuition free within five years.

Section 3. That all citizens are offered classes in civic engagement, including but not limited to: direct democracy, participatory budgeting, community development and organizing, worker's cooperatives and social ecology.
(a)These classes will be taught through grade schools as mandatory civics courses alongside other grade school curriculum.
(b)These classes will be available to be taken voluntarily at colleges, universities and civic education centers.

Section 4. This act shall take effect immediately.

Magnusth
Sep 25, 2014

Hello, Creature! Do You Despise Goat Hating Fascists? So Do We! Join Us at Paradise Lost!

The following is an excerpt of an interview with Comrade Kropotkin of the SLRF conducted shortly after the fall of Greene. The interview itself is long and covers many subjects, but his excerpt concerns Kropotkin's role in the CLF

Klara Whitberg, Journalist: Mr. Kropotkin, can you start by giving us a description of why you joined the CLF and what you did there?

Comrade Kropotkin: Please, just call me ‘Kropotkin.' As for why I joined the CLF, that is a funny question - i didn't, really. When i joined up, we were still debating what to call ourselves. In the spirit the question was intended, however, the answer is simple. I come from a small town mostly built around several semiautomated farming complexes. But after Greene took over, as a part of his bid to secure his power, he confiscated much of the food produced in those complexes and imposed heavy but specific taxes and fines aimed at funneling food towards cheam resale in the major population centres. People like me, my friends and family, were forced to starve even though we were the ones producing the food. So we protested and fought it, and when that didn't work, well, we raided the local police station, took to arms, and kicked Greene's goons out. Soon, we heard that others had done the same in other towns, and began organizing. That's how the CLF started, really. People organizing against a cruel state that would starve them to death.

KW: And then, once the CLF was formed, what did you do then? What was your daily life like?

CK: Well, at first, i was very much an active combatant. Our main targets were transports of food and munitions, things we needed to arm ourselves and feed the people. But i've always been a writer and communicator, and it soon became obvious that we needed someone to gather and dissiminate knowledge and tactics, create recruiting material, and train both dedicated members and the populace at large to fight, and that became my role. Many people will recognize my name, Kropotkin, as the author of many of our fliers and recruitment material, but that's not all i made. Often, we would be contacted by a local militia which had just rebelled and needed help; i wrote the manuals on tactics and strategy and communications protocols we circulated internally, and when some new town or village started rebelling and contacted us, i - or one of the others i worked with - would be sent to brief them on the command structure and communication protocol. For quite a while, i believe there was a significant price on my head for that.

KW: I see. And during that early time when you were still an active combatant, did you ever kill anyone?

CK: I don't want to give you the wrong impression; even when i had a role as writer and recruiter, i often got into combat situations. Greene's goons would often retaliate while i was in some small town to brief our new members; twice my transport got attacked by regime forces, and sometimes there were simply too few hands to go around and i had to get my hands dirty.
As for the meat of your question, yes. Many times. Sometimes directly, shooting guards defending a target or soldiers attacking a town. At other times, a bomb we would plant would kill a train full of soldiers, or a poisoned wine would kill an officer or a corrupt official.

KW: Thank you for clarifying that. And during these operations, did you ever witness anyone committing grievous atrocities and war crimes - on either side?

CK: Yes, often. The Greene regime would often use weapons and tactics forbidden by the Solar Union Treaty on Extreme Cruelty and Crimes of War. Gassing towns known to harbor CLF militants, poisoning food stores, stealing foreign aid meant to help the starving masses. And as the war went on, it got nastier. We suspect that two or three towns got hit with IDS plagues, and there are a number of known uses of nanite trojans.

KW: ‘IDS plagues' and ‘nanite trojans'? I'm not sure all of our viewers are familiar with these terms, so could you clarify?

CK: Yes, of course. An IDS plague is an Induced Depression and Suicide plague, a specially engineered virus that targets certain parts of the brains of its victim to induce depression and suicidal thoughts to an extreme degree. Often, it'll take a day or two to spread through a town, but by then, the first suicide or two will have occured, which can spark a chain reaction. Suicide is even more on everyone's mind, and people close to the deceased will often commit suicide the same day, further sending everyone spiralling into grief and depression. Often, it is less than half a week from the first suicide until the entire infected population is dead. A nanite trojan concists of spiking a person's blood stream and organs with a large amount of nanites which will later be activated, kill the person, and spread out, killing everyone in the area. What the regime would do was spike prisoners' blood and organs, alter their memories with induced memory technology - another thing outlawed for use against combatants by the Solar Union Treaty - and let them believe they'd escaped, only to have the nanites activate on their return to CLF. I saw that happen once, personally; I was in another room, and very lucky to survive.

KW: And the CLF? Did any of your ‘comrades' ever commit any atrocities? The stories that filtered down to us in the urban centres through Greene's media painted the CLF as quite brutal, but i think many people would be interested in hearing a different side of the story.

CK: it goes without saying that Greenes media was mostly Lies and propaganda. However, i am here to inform, so let me give you the truth. The CLF always did what it could to avoid civilian casualties, but that wasn't always possible. That said, i am aware of two missions which resulted in the mas killing of our friends and family among the people. One was an unfortunate accident caused by misinformation, which resulted in a civilian train being derailed. The other was a rogue cell using an illegal nanite swarm weapon. It's leadership was discovered and eliminated by the CLF. I saw what those bastards did to innocents, and i want to state in the strongest terms possible that the CLF NEVER condoned such tactics. With the formation of a SLRF-lead government, i will do all in my power to make sure that those wronged by the actions of such rogue members will be compensated.

KW: I see. Thank you for your honesty. Now, you have certainly expressed you opinions on those among the CLF who -

CK: The rogue traitors to CLF ideals, yes

KW: The rogue traitors to CLF ideals who turned upon civilians, yes. But what do you think should be done about SDF soldiers who commited such crimes and attrocities.

CK: That's simple. Prison labour for life, and a blanket prohibition on them ever getting an AMR. I don't believe in the death penalty, and neither do i wish to work them to death - such are the tools of the regime. But with a lifetime of labour to aid in the rebuilding and growth of Sirta, they might still do some small good for our planet.

KW: I see. Do you then support a Truth and Reconciliation commision as suggested by the Forward Development Group?

CK: I am vary about giving the guardian council too much say in our democratic processes, but beyond that point, i have no significant opposition to such a commision. We shall work with the other parties of government to create a process of justice and the elimination of corruption that is amicable to all, i am sure.

KW: I am looking forward to seeing what shakes out on that front. But now that we are talking politics and government, i must ask you why you chose to retire from the CLF and join the SLRF?

CK: I didn't so much retire to join the SLRF as the SLRF simply split ways with the CLF. I and others, who would go on to found the SLRF formerly, were already talking and thinking during the war, about how best to continue the struggle for independence for every worker and every plain citizen of Sirta once the arms were laid down and peacetime begun. Then, when peacetime happened, we found that we had other priorities than the mainline of the DAL, the official political wing of the CLF, so we split of, amicably, and formed our own party.

KW: I see. With your differing views, what do you think of the DAL then?

CK: I've taken laser blasts for several people in the DAL, and they for me. The scars still ache, and several of them nearly killed me. I would do so in a heartbeat again for any of them, and I am confident that my friends and comrades in the DAL would do the same for me.

KW: I see. Thank you Kropotkin. It was a pleasure interviewing you.

CK: No, the pleasure was mine. The people of Sirta deserve to know the full account of the events of the war.

Magnusth fucked around with this message at 01:58 on Dec 4, 2017

AJ_Impy
Jun 17, 2007

SWORD OF SMATTAS. CAN YOU NOT HEAR A WORLD CRY OUT FOR JUSTICE? WHEN WILL YOU DELIVER IT?
Yam Slacker
Arthur Subtallier, Unity Coalition, Peoples Coalition

Honourable colleagues, we have a duty to perform, an obligation to the people of Sirta. We need to ensure they are fed, clothed and housed as an urgent priority. However, before we can determine how best to meet those needs, we need to establish precisely what those needs are and where. So, I propose:

"Census Act posted:

Acknowledging that all Sirtans have an inalienable right to food, clothing and shelter,
Recognising that to fulfil our obligation to meet those needs efficiently we must be clear as to what is needed and where,
Determining that obtaining that information is a priority for this new Sirtan government:

It is proposed that we conduct a CENSUS of all Sirtans, in order to identify their current status and needs, and to facilitate and hasten our actions to meet those needs.

Pakled
Aug 6, 2011

WE ARE SMART
A census is a good idea. We can't entirely trust the statistics published by the old regime. I would, however, wish to amend the bill to include more precise language about how the census should be carried out.

Census Act Amendment 1 posted:

The Census Act of 3062 is amended to include, appended at the end of the current text:

quote:

The Interior Ministry is directed to conduct the census in two phases, firstly of assembling a registry of all buildings in Sirta and secondly assembling a registry of the population.
The building registry is to include the following information:

quote:

Address, residential status, owner, number of permanent residents (if residential),type of residence (if residential)
The population registry is to include the following information:

quote:

Name, AMR status, age (or, if AMR, age at scan), age since scan (if AMR), gender, address of primary residence, occupation, education level, head of household status, relation to head of household
The Interior Ministry is required to have its full report for the 3062 Census ready for government use by 1 February, 3063.

For the sake of transparency and for use in research, I would introduce another amendment relating to the public disclosure of census results, with considerations toward privacy.

Census Act Amendment 2 posted:

The Census Act of 3062 is amended to include, appended at the end of the current text:

quote:

Upon assembling a full report, the Interior Ministry is required to disclose publicly all building registration data except number of permanent residents and owner, and all the assembled population data excluding names, addresses, and ages. For the public report of the population survey, each entry shall be identified with generic household groupings associated with the lowest level of local administrative division in place of addresses, and with ages rendered as age groups.

And finally, I would also like to submit a third amendment for the consideration of parliament, making the census reoccur regularly.

Census Act Amendment 3 posted:

quote:

Every fifth year after 3062, the Census shall be conducted according to these terms, to be made available by 1 February the following year.

Pakled fucked around with this message at 06:31 on Dec 4, 2017

AFancyQuestionMark
Feb 19, 2017

Long time no see.
Lenore Hughes submits a bill:

Care and Shelter Act posted:

0.1. For the purposes of this act, a “homeless citizen” is any citizen with no registered place of residence and no residential properties on record, not employed by any organization providing onsite housing for employees and not serving in the SDF.

0.2. For the purposes of this act, a “seized residence” is any residential property on the transitional governments’ Seized Assets List.

0.3. For the purposes of this act, an “appropriate wage” is a wage matching or exceeding the average wage for civil service employees, but is no more than five times the average wage for all registered employees in Sirta.

1.1. An organized initiative shall be established under the Ministry of Interior, named “The Care and Shelter Agency”, henceforth referred to as “the agency” in this act.

1.2. The purpose of this agency shall be to provide any willing homeless citizen with free high-quality short-term housing, food and medical care.

2. All seized residences, except for any explicitly excluded by the Minister of Interior, shall be placed under the agency’s management.

3.1. All employees of the agency shall be considered civil service employees and paid an appropriate wage.

3.2. No agency employee may be drawn from community service or penal labor initiatives.

4.1. Information regarding the agency’s purpose, current status, available residences and their capacities shall be made freely available to the public via the SCN.

4.2. Homeless citizens shall be encouraged to make use of the agency’s services via advertisements and announcements by the Ministry of Interior.

5.1. Any Budget approved by Parliament shall provide sufficient funding to the Ministry of Interior to cover the agency’s operational expenses.

5.2. The Ministry of Interior shall be obligated to fund the agency’s operations.

"I think this is a good way to help some of the most vulnerable members of our society, and that, while it may not be a radical change, it will aid a lot of people in need at an insignificant cost. There are over 350 upscale private homes, retreats and even some luxury hotels owned by corrupt high-ranking regime officials that now belong to our government. It would be an incredible waste to let them sit unused when they can be turned to the benefit of society. We estimate that this initiative will cost less than 500,000 credits a month, a paltry sum compared to the other expenses of government.

I hope that our partners in the People's Coalition, as well as any other parties that care for citizens in need, will support this act."

AFancyQuestionMark fucked around with this message at 08:26 on Dec 4, 2017

The Lord of Hats
Aug 22, 2010

Hello, yes! Is being very good day for posting, no?

AFancyQuestionMark posted:

"I think this is a good way to help some of the most vulnerable members of our society, and that, while it may not be a radical change, it will aid a lot of people in need at an insignificant cost. There are over 350 upscale private homes, retreats and even some luxury hotels owned by corrupt high-ranking regime officials that now belong to our government. It would be an incredible waste to let them sit unused when they can be turned to the benefit of society. We estimate that this initiative will cost less than 500,000 credits a month, a paltry sum compared to the other expenses of government.

I hope that our partners in the People's Coalition, as well as any other parties that care for citizens in need, will support this act."

I don't doubt the good will and motivations behind this proposal. What I am skeptical of is that budget estimate. With the financial situation the government presently finds itself in, we must be cautious of the commitments we make. It does us no good if so noble a program were to fall victim to budgetary concerns. With that in mind, I have a proposal to make:

Sirtan Budget Office Act posted:

WHEREAS, the government of Sirta is committed to fiscal responsibility and financially effective policies, and

WHEREAS, the mismanagement of the Greene administration has left inadequate institutional knowledge

BE IT ENACTED BY THE FIRST PARLIAMENT OF SIRTA:

Section 1. An office, known as the Sirtan Budgetary Office (or SBO) shall be established with the purpose of accurately determining and scoring the budgetary costs of all parliamentary proposals, considering both the direct costs and economic impacts involved.

Section 2. This office shall be nonpartisan, and adequately staffed and funded to produce estimates in a timely manner.

Section 3. No bill that would require government funding shall be passed without first obtaining an SBO score.

I believe that this shall rapidly pay for itself. In addition, since this is not a small decision, and I would like to have an established mandate should the proposed government be approved, I would also like to propose:

Outer Alliance Resolution posted:

WHEREAS, the previous administrations of Sirta tended towards non-participation in galactic affairs, and

WHEREAS, effective diplomatic interaction with its neighbors is essential to Sirta's prosperity and well-being.

BE IT HEREBY RESOLVED BY THE FIRST PARLIAMENT OF SIRTA:

Section 1: That the government shall seek membership in the Outer Alliance.

Obviously this is merely a statement of intent, not a formal ratification--that will need to wait until we have terms of membership, after all--making it clear that it is the unified will of Sirta that this be done will go a long way to smoothing the application process.

The Lord of Hats fucked around with this message at 17:33 on Dec 4, 2017

Crazycryodude
Aug 15, 2015

I don't believe it's wise to commit to joining the Outer Alliance just yet. A feasibility study to determine the pros and cons like the FDG proposed would be very welcome, but we believe it hasty to outright commit to joining with no idea as to the possible costs and benefits.

AFancyQuestionMark
Feb 19, 2017

Long time no see.

The Lord of Hats posted:

I don't doubt the good will and motivations behind this proposal. What I am skeptical of is that budget estimate. With the financial situation the government presently finds itself in, we must be cautious of the commitments we make. It does us no good if so noble a program were to fall victim to budgetary concerns. With that in mind, I have a proposal to make:

"Our estimate isn't spurious. I assure you, the feasibility of our proposal has been investigated at length and the expenses estimate was arrived at after a consultation with the transitional government. Regardless, your budgetary office proposal is a very good idea. It has my full support, and I don't see why anyone in our or any other party would oppose it. Having more information to work with will benefit all of us."

The Lord of Hats posted:

Outer Alliance Resolution

"However, your other proposal is hasty in the extreme. I don't know about the rest of you, but I personally know almost nothing about the benefits of Outer Alliance membership or, more significantly, about what we'll have to give up to obtain it. I think a detailed study of the matter should be carried out, before we can begin to consider whether or not membership is something we even want. As the Minister of Foreign Affairs, you will be in the best position to carry out such a study and convince the rest of us that membership is a good idea. Until then, I won't support your act. I urge everyone else to adopt this position as well, and not make any uninformed statements of intent. After all, the people of Sirta have entrusted us with their future - we owe it to them to be responsible with it."

AFancyQuestionMark
Feb 19, 2017

Long time no see.

Crazycryodude posted:

I request that the budgetary office of Transitional Government prepare an estimate on what operating costs a fully organized government will incur.

An official response to this request is sent out to the entirety of Parliament:

"This isn't a matter which can be accurately estimated by us, since our role has been very limited relative to any proper government as described by the constitution, meaning we lack the proper experience to base our calculations on, and the regime's records can't be relied on. However, we have done our best to provide an answer to your request, and, having combined our own expenses with the salaries of the ministerial staff and other organizational and operative costs, have arrived at a rough number range: Running the most limited government the constitution allows for will cost somewhere between 520 and 540 million credits."

CourValant
Feb 25, 2016

Do You Remember Love?
Private Message
To: ReSeAu Gen, (UCS)

My Dear Speaker,

Most sincere congratulations on attaining both the role of Speaker, and the soon-to-be portfolio of Minister of Finance.

It is no doubt an affirmation of your many years of service, dedication, and professionalism.

The KNK salutes your achievements, and on a personal note, I do hope this is the start of many joint efforts between both our Parties.

Ever your humble servant.

-Eli Masamune
Kikuzakura no Kai

CourValant
Feb 25, 2016

Do You Remember Love?

The KNK requests the floor.

My Fellow Members of Parliament,

In response to Comrade Luxemburg’s Motion of Confidence in the formation of this new Government, the Kikuzakura no Kai offers the following response.

We congratulate the Good Comrade and the SRLF in achieving their election victory. At the same time, we are also troubled by the representation of officials in this first cabinet.

It comes as no surprise that most, if not all, Ministerial Positions have gone to the SRLF and their allies. To the Victor goes the Spoils, I suppose.

Still, we have hoped that for all the talk of inclusivity and building a Government Of The People, that the other Parties would be better represented.

Including ReSeAu Gen and the UCS is a good start; however, we don’t deem it sufficient.

As such, I formally request that the KNK be considered for the portfolio of either Health, or Infrastructure.

Surely, Good Comrade, as Prime Minster, you have better things to do than oversee road construction?

I yield the remainder of my time.

sniper4625
Sep 26, 2009

Loyal to the hEnd

CourValant posted:

The KNK requests the floor.

My Fellow Members of Parliament,

In response to Comrade Luxemburg’s Motion of Confidence in the formation of this new Government, the Kikuzakura no Kai offers the following response.

We congratulate the Good Comrade and the SRLF in achieving their election victory. At the same time, we are also troubled by the representation of officials in this first cabinet.

It comes as no surprise that most, if not all, Ministerial Positions have gone to the SRLF and their allies. To the Victor goes the Spoils, I suppose.

Still, we have hoped that for all the talk of inclusivity and building a Government Of The People, that the other Parties would be better represented.

Including ReSeAu Gen and the UCS is a good start; however, we don’t deem it sufficient.

As such, I formally request that the KNK be considered for the portfolio of either Health, or Infrastructure.

Surely, Good Comrade, as Prime Minster, you have better things to do than oversee road construction?

I yield the remainder of my time.

Comrade Radek

Honorable Masamune, we thank you for your well wishes on this most auspicious occasion. While I, of course, am not the Prime Minister, I can state with some certainty on his behalf that we shall be unable to accede to your request. You are absolutely correct that the ministerial positions have gone to the SRLF and those who have proactively chosen to work with us - for in a coalition government, this is very much how it works. In addition to their active outreach and desire to work with us, the selected parties also received more than a bare minimum of the vote, which is why it is somewhat odd that you would think to remove Dawn's representation from the government in favor of your own. As for the Infrastructure Ministry, an unfortunate requirement of parliamentary process requires a sitting MP to officially helm the ministry, but I have it on good terms that the able and loyal Comrade Kropotkin will serve to lift much of the day to day burden from Comrade Luxemberg's shoulders.

In short, we look very much to working further with your party, given your stated desires to do what is best for The People, and we can perhaps return to the subject of your party's inclusion in this Government at a later date. Until that point, please do not hesitate to get in touch should you have any initiatives that may be of mutual benefit to our Parties and The People.

sniper4625 fucked around with this message at 20:48 on Dec 4, 2017

Godlovesus
Oct 16, 2015

Ask me about continually throwing myself at the enemy and losing every single time in EU4 Multiplayer.
ReSeAu ascends the Speaker's Dias. Solemnly, he signals for the attention of all Members

It is with great honor that I humbly accept the role of Speaker for this Assembly. I intend to uphold the duties of this role with the dignity and respect it deserves.

Let us now look forward, my fellow members, to the future. I can see already bills being drafted and anticipate passionate debate. Let us not forget however, decorum or regular order, which I will enforce rigorously.

To my knowledge, the current bills on the table are:

1. A Motion of Confidence for the formation of government under Comrade Luxembourg from the SRLF
2. The SIRTRAK Act, proposed by Member Radek of the SRLF
3. The SISTER Act, proposed by Member Bookchin of the SRLF
4. The Census Act, proposed by Member Subtallier of the Unity Coalition, along with associated amendments with Member Danube of the FDG
5. The Care and Shelter Act, proposed by Member Hughes of Dawn
6. The Sirtan Budget Office Act, proposed by Member Vanderbush
7. The Outer Alliance Resolution, proposed by Member Vanderbush.
8. Bill F-1, also known as the Tax Enforcement Act, proposed by the UCS.

It is my understanding that the ruling party has not yet submitted a Budget Bill. I would like to remind them that the bill is mandatory as stipulated by the constitution.

That is all, thank you.

Godlovesus
Oct 16, 2015

Godlovesus posted:

Bill F-1
This Act may may cited as the Tax Enforcement Act
Section I: Preamble

A). Aware of the existing tax gap between revenues calculated and revenues collected,

B). Reaffirming that taxes are mandatory monies payable to government for the purpose of its operations,

C). Understanding that the tax current gap may not reflect actual intentional delinquency on the part of taxpayers and,

D). Being aware of the need to collect revenues for the sustained working of government operations.

Section II: Purpose
Parliament therefore;
A) Reaffirms that the Income Tax Act and its associated powers of administration, enforcement, verification and collection are of the jurisdiction of the Ministry of Finance and its subsidiary branches,

B). Accepts the need to expand staffing operations within Revenue Collections in order to meet existing policy and anticipate for future policy,

C). Understands the need to collect arrears outstanding

Section III: Administration

Aware of the needs above, and in order to fulfill said mandate, Parliament proposes:

A). A extension of time of forty five (45) days for all taxpayers, delinquent or otherwise, to;
I). File and submit any and all outstanding tax returns with the relevant details
II). Submit any outstanding payment in full, or in lieu of an ability to pay, an acceptable payment arrangement extending no longer than twelve (12) months of any amounts owing to the Ministry without penalty for previous delinquency
III). Submit themselves to a audit should the Ministry or relevant subsidiary bodies believe amounts are being misrepresented in a manner to which their tax burden would be significantly lowered

B). In the event of taxpayer non-compliance to Section III A, the Minister may empower officers and officials to act in its stead to;
I). Impose a five percent (5%) compound interest daily, per annum for any amounts owing along with associated penalties until taxes are paid in full,
II). Place an assessment based upon existing factual information for any taxpayer not compliant with Section III A(I) which will be held as amounts owing,
III). Enforce collections actions against delinquent taxpayers through legal actions including but not limited to; garnishment against the taxpayer, the certification of debts in Tax Court, the seizure and sale of assets relating to the taxpayer and the assessment of joint liability of third parties related to the taxpayer.

Section IV: Enforcement
Accepting that the Ministry may not be able to undertake such a project in full in its present condition, Parliament will:
A). Instruct its Ministry and relevant branches to focus on sections of taxpayers noted as having significant tax gaps.

B). Allocate resources and priority to the collection of taxpayers with the largest outstanding balances

C). Allocate priority to the audit of taxpayers noted as having multiple revenue lines

D). Allow for the extension or adjustment any time periods, penalties or assessments in Section A or B at the Minister’s discretion.

Section V: Resources
Parliament accepts that a sustained revenue collection is key to the functioning of governance and will consider upon the drafting of the next budget bill;
A). An adequate allocation of manpower and resources to be determined by the Budgetary Office to enforce the mechanisms of this Act

B). A further increase in funding to empower the Ministry of Finance in its current and future operations

Section VI: Continuation of Act

A) The Act is meant as an temporary addendum to the Income Tax Act and the majority of its provisions will sunset two (2) years from the establishment from this law. Save for Section III B). and Section IV, which will replace previous existing provisions in the Income Tax Act

Godlovesus fucked around with this message at 00:35 on Dec 5, 2017

Crazycryodude
Aug 15, 2015

Point of order, a budget bill cannot be proposed until the government officially has the confidence of Parliament. And while we seem to have a working coalition, the Motion of Confidence hasn't technically passed so we cannot draw up an official budget until next month's session.

unwantedplatypus
Sep 6, 2012
I appreciate that Mr. Vanderbush attempted to rebuff me for questioning his credentials, and then proceeded to propose an incredibly questionable bill whereby we would join an organization we have little knowledge of.

unwantedplatypus fucked around with this message at 01:03 on Dec 5, 2017

unwantedplatypus
Sep 6, 2012
As of right now, the Guardian Council can appoint nearly a fifth of the parliament. The Community understands the intent behind the Guardian Council seats, to have a group of MPs not beholden to the whims of party politics.

However, the Community is deeply troubled by the concept of an unelected council (made up of immortals) having such a huge influence on the politics of our country

Thusly, we propose an amendment to the constitution.

quote:

Provision of the proposed amendment:

1)10 of the 15 guardian council seats will be replaced by citizen seats

2)The appointees of the guardian council currently sitting in Parliament at the time of writing of this bill may retain their seats until the next election

3) As a result of this bill; 60 of the 80 parliamentary seats will be elected via closed list proportional representation, 15 will be randomly selected from eligible citizens, and 5 will be appointed by the Guardian Council

4) This amendment will take effect at the start of the next parliamentary election

AFancyQuestionMark
Feb 19, 2017

Long time no see.

unwantedplatypus posted:

As of right now, the Guardian Council can appoint nearly a fifth of the parliament. The Community understands the intent behind the Guardian Council seats, to have a group of MPs not beholden to the whims of party politics.

However, the Community is deeply troubled by the concept of an unelected council (made up of immortals) having such a huge influence on the politics of our country

Thusly, we propose an amendment to the constitution.

Silvia Collins, a Guardian Council appointment, responds to the the Community's proposal:

"Our seats weren't created out of some aversion to party politics, but rather as a way to protect the core values of the Revolution from being abandoned in favor of narrow electoral considerations, a duty which the Councillors are well equipped to carry out. As the core values of our society evolve over time, the special elections to elect new Councilors will allow the Guardian Council to accommodate these changes without altering its' character all at once, as a result of a single election. In that respect, replacing their appointments to Parliament with citizen seats is a notion worthy of ridicule.

Frankly speaking, I suspect that their apparent deeply-ingrained prejudice against AMRs is clouding the Community's judgment on this issue."

AFancyQuestionMark fucked around with this message at 07:56 on Dec 5, 2017

Pakled
Aug 6, 2011

WE ARE SMART
One of the most important and daunting tasks before our fledgling government is to sort out the question of guilt and restitution for the abuses of the Old Regime. It is my intention with this act to enable the people to seek justice and damages for the corruption they suffered under Vallstein and Greene, and to enable our society to weed out from government everyone who profited from tyranny.

"[b posted:

The Truth and Reconciliation Act[/b]"]
1. Definitions
For the purposes of this act,
Victim - Any person who brings claims before the Commission.
Defendant - Any person who is accused of a crime before the Commission.
Old Regime - The Government of Sirta as it existed between the accession of Adrian Vallstein in 3032 and the coup that ended the Greene government in 3061.
TRC - Truth and Reconciliation Commission

2. Formation of the Truth and Reconciliation Commission
There is hereby established a temporary body under the Ministry of Justice known as the Truth and Reconciliation Commission. The objective of the TRC is to hear claims of and publicly investigate crimes committed against individuals at the behest of, or by persons previously protected from justice by, the Old Regime.

3. Selection and Succession of Commissioners
The TRC is to be constituted of 7 commissioners, of whom 4 are nominated by the Prime Minister on the advice of the cabinet, and 3 are nominated by the Minister of Justice, and all of which are confirmed by a majority vote in Parliament. Parliament reserves the right to recall a commissioner at any time with a majority vote. One commissioner is to be designated as the chairperson by the Minister of Justice. In the event of the death, incapacitation, recall, or resignation of a commissioner, the chairperson will designate an acting commissioner to serve until a new commissioner is installed by either the Justice Ministry or Parliament, depending on which body nominated the previous holder of the post. In the event of the death, incapacitation, recall, or resignation of the chairperson, the Minister of Justice will choose a new chairperson among the commissioners, who will then appoint an acting commissioner, who will serve in such capacity until a new commissioner is installed by either the Justice Ministry or Parliament, depending on which body nominated the previous holder of the post.

4. Powers of the Commission
The TRC shall have the power to:
 form and dissolve subcommittees and hire staff to carry out any of the duties assigned to the Commission.
 subpoena witnesses and evidence relating to any claim brought before it.
 order restitution of assets and monetary compensation following the judgement of the council, including the power to seize assets and order the garnishing of wages.
 bar individuals from all elected office and civil service for life following the judgement of the council.
 dissolve itself at any point at least one year after its inception, when the commissioners unanimously agree that the purpose of the commission has been satisfied.

5. Responsibilities of the Commission
The TRC shall:
 seek justice for crimes committed by and for the Old Regime while adhering to the Process of Justice detailed in Section 6.
 implement a process for submitting a claim for judgement which is free and easily accessible.
 make all proceedings publicly available via live SCN broadcast, video recordings, and transcripts.
 issue a quarterly report to Parliament detailing the progress of the Commission, on a qualitative and quantitative level, and making any recommendations it has come to feel, through its contact with the public, Parliament could do to further improve the lot of those who were victimized by the Old Regime.

6. Process of Justice
Submission of claims
 Any Sirtan citizen has the right to submit a claim of damages incurred during the Old Regime to the TRC. The TRC, or a subcommittee it so designates to handling this task, shall evaluate the claims, and if it has any reason to believe the alleged crime was committed by, at the behest of, or under the protection of any individual who worked for the Old Regime, the TRC will accept the case.
Investigation
 The TRC, or a subcommittee it so designates to handling this task, shall contact the defendant and, should the defendant wish to dispute the claim, investigate relevant financial records, call witnesses to testify, and hear the testimony of the victim and the defendant.
Restitution
 A unanimous decision by the TRC is required to rule whether, by a preponderance of the evidence, the defendant owes restitution to the victim. If the return of the original property is not possible, then the amount owed is decided by the TRC and is to be set based on the value of any damages incurred and an appropriate amount for hardship faced by the victim as a result of the damages. Unless amnesty is granted, a defendant found responsible for the claim is to be further barred from ever holding elected office or entering the civil service.
Amnesty
 A defendant who is found responsible for damages may appeal for partial amnesty. The defendant is still responsible for paying the damages of any lost money or property, but a defendant who can, by the unanimous judgement of the TRC or a subcommittee it so designates to handling this task, prove by a preponderance of the evidence that they could not have avoided committing the damages without risk to the lives or health of themselves or their loved ones shall not be barred from holding elected office or civil service.
Referral to the Regular Courts System
 If, at the conclusion of the case, the TRC considers it likely that the defendant committed or ordered an act of murder, torture, rape, or other serious, violent human rights abuses, the TRC shall refer the case to an appropriate court as a criminal case.

7. Rights of Victims, Witnesses, and Defendants
Victims shall overall be treated with respect and dignity.
Victims, Witnesses, and Defendants have the right to appear in person before the Commission if they so choose. Such persons shall be provided room and board for as long as necessary when testifying before the Commission, if they so request. Otherwise, reasonable accommodations shall be made for telepresence.
Victims and defendants shall not be discriminated against on the basis of sex, gender, place of birth, race, class, military or militia service history, or political affiliation.
Victims and defendants have the right to an attorney.
Defendants found responsible for claims shall be protected from any further civil litigation and criminal prosecution for any crimes for which they complete their TRC-ordered restitution.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AFancyQuestionMark
Feb 19, 2017

Long time no see.
Victor Knapfstein responds to Danube's bill:

"While the proposal's spirit is admirable, we in the DAL believe it to contain several major deficiencies. As such, I submit an alternative bill and ask everyone truly committed to justice to support it."

Truth and Justice Act posted:

Definitions for this act:

* “punishment” refers to any punitive measures the regular court system is legally authorized to dispense.

* “investigative powers” refers to any means at the disposal of the municipal police forces, the regular court system and the Intelligence Service for the purpose of investigating crimes.

* “properly judged” refers to decisions arrived at without coercion or compensation by external actors.

* “regime official” refers to any member of the Public Security Force, the Sirta Defense Force, the Intelligence Service, all government departments, the municipal police forces, the regular court system and all companies under a long-term contract with the government, between the years 3032 and 3060.

Commission Formation: A body by the name “The Truth and Justice Commission”, henceforth referred to as TJC within this act, shall be formed under the Ministry of Justice for the purpose of investigating and judging crimes committed by regime officials. Parliament and the Ministry of Justice are obligated to fully fund the TJC’s operation.

Commission Membership: The TJC shall consist of 9 Commissioners appointed by the Minister of Justice. The TJC is authorized to employ as many people as it finds necessary.

Commission Jurisdiction: The TJC shall have exclusive jurisdiction in investigating and judging crimes committed by regime officials. All courts and other government bodies shall be obligated to refer all relevant cases to the TJC.

Commission Powers: The TJC shall have access to all investigative powers relevant to pursuing its’ cases. It shall be able to dispense any properly judged punishment.

Commission Term: The TJC shall keep operating for as long as it deems necessary.

AFancyQuestionMark fucked around with this message at 09:08 on Dec 5, 2017