Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

Inescapable Duck posted:

It looks like Magica is going to be the 'rarely appearing, deadly serious threat' villain rather than Glomgold. (With Glomgold possibly taking on a bit of Rockerduck with their rivalry being as much pissing contests as violent conflict)

I wonder how they're gonna handle Magica and what her exact deal is. Is she just somewhere else right now and communicating with Lena through her shadow, or is she actually possessing her shadow and Lena's trying to bring her into the real world. I wonder how they're gonna handle Poe De Spell in the show now too? And if Lena is Magica's niece, does that mean she's his daughter in this version :confused:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Reinbach
Jan 28, 2009

counterfeitsaint posted:

It seems unlikely that Scrooge gave much consideration to his secretary's housekeeper's granddaughter before the nephews arrived. I always assumed it was Beakley that was over-protecting her. Like, if anything I'd expect a gag where he doesn't even know her name.

Also I just found this show and got caught up and I really like it. I hope the GF alum can sneak it just one "Grunkle Scrooge" for old time's sake.

Did anybody else catch the Bill Cipher in this episode?

cant cook creole bream
Aug 15, 2011
I think Fahrenheit is better for weather

Reinbach posted:

Did anybody else catch the Bill Cipher in this episode?

Nah. That was a different guy without a top hat.

evilmiera
Dec 14, 2009

X_Toad posted:

You know, I'm kind of missing the triplets being straight-up aces and the Junior Woodchucks' manual being an absurdly comprehensive source of knowledge. How can we have moments like the end of "A Letter from Home" when the drat thing is shown to be wrong on its first outing?

The fact that their rivalry apparently involves regular staring contests kind of lessens his threat level, too. Glomgold is supposed to live on the other side of the world and only rarely interacts with Scrooge, and when that happens, it's always bad news.

Note the bold part. They're not complaining about the show not being original DuckTales, they're complaining about some of the scheduling decisions.

Not a fan myself. And I don't understand the Emperor and Rogal Dorn's obsession with tacos either.

Everyone knows it is Taco Thursday man.

MichiganCubbie
Dec 11, 2008

I love that I have an erection...

...that doesn't involve homeless people.

This episode was so incredibly Venture Bros. I love it.

X_Toad
Apr 2, 2011

evilmiera posted:

Everyone knows it is Taco Thursday man.
Thursday is Pancake Day.

cptn_dr
Sep 7, 2011

Seven for beauty that blossoms and dies

No, traditionally pancake day is always a Tuesday.

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

The tools of a hero mean nothing without a solid core.

Any night can be taco/burrito night when you grow up in New Mexico and the requisite fixins are commonplace in the fridge/pantry. Gringos.

HIJK
Nov 25, 2012
in the room where you sleep
Just watched Toth-Ra. The brief Thriller sequence was great. Scrooge being protective of his kids was awesome too.

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

I was pleasantly surprised to see that both Toth-Ra and the tomb keeper were voiced by Bassem Youssef. They've just been on point with their guest stars so far.

kefkafloyd
Jun 8, 2006

What really knocked me out
Was her cheap sunglasses
After a brief hiatus, the next episode is coming up this Saturday. It's the fabled pushed out of order Huey episode.

The Impossible Summit of Mt. Neverrest! Scrooge and Huey are determined to be the first to set foot atop an impossible summit.

Acebuckeye13
Nov 2, 2010

If you or someone you know has a gambling problem, crisis counseling and referral services can be accessed by calling
1-800-GAMBLER

Ultra Carp

kefkafloyd posted:

After a brief hiatus, the next episode is coming up this Saturday. It's the fabled pushed out of order Huey episode.

The Impossible Summit of Mt. Neverrest! Scrooge and Huey are determined to be the first to set foot atop an impossible summit.

Sounds like a perfect Christmas episode to me! :downs:

Folt The Bolt
Feb 21, 2012

Nothing exciting to see here. Move along.
Finally had the opportunity to watch the first episode of new DuckTales in my country's language, and I actually really like it. The song is different from the one I know, mostly because we took some major liberties with the DuckTales theme when translating it over here and the new translation is closer to the original lyrics. Harald Mæle returns as Skrue McDuck (AKA Scrooge), possibly as Rotor McKvakk (Launchpad McQuack) too, and he's as good as I remember him being. We have a new voice for Donald and he does his signature voice very well, and still shows a good range of emotions in the role. Ole, Dole, og Doffen (Hewey, Dewey, and Luey) are voiced by three brothers who are also the sons of the actress who voiced the three of them in the original DuckTales which is a bit of trivia I find quite interesting. I also kinda like Nebby's (AKA Webby) voice in the dub over her original voice (Kate Micucci's high-pitched voice annoys me sometimes but is otherwise great). Frøken Vagle (Mrs. Beakley) also has a new voice, though I think it sounds a bit too young for her (but is otherwise good).

Overall, I like my country's :norway: dub of DuckTales (2017).

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

So... what language does Launchpad blurt out while high on snake venom in the Norwegian dub?

Folt The Bolt
Feb 21, 2012

Nothing exciting to see here. Move along.

nine-gear crow posted:

So... what language does Launchpad blurt out while high on snake venom in the Norwegian dub?

Still Swedish. The pronounciation is more in-line with actual Swedish though. I think.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
'Death by plane crash or not at all!' Launchpad knows his destiny.

Infinitum
Jul 30, 2004

"That man is not allowed in my house. He knows what he did.."

:allears:

cant cook creole bream
Aug 15, 2011
I think Fahrenheit is better for weather
Scrooge was kind of a dick towards that dead guy.

Aces High
Mar 26, 2010

Nah! A little chocolate will do

it's kinda interesting, Launchpad effectively described hypothermia when he was describing the "snow fever" and that is not something you take lightly when mountain-climbing. Sure he probably paid waaaaaaay more than he should have for his equipment but from the looks of it the outfitter gave him everything he needs so he won't die

Bobbin Threadbare
Jan 2, 2009

I'm looking for a flock of urbanmechs.

Aces High posted:

it's kinda interesting, Launchpad effectively described hypothermia when he was describing the "snow fever" and that is not something you take lightly when mountain-climbing. Sure he probably paid waaaaaaay more than he should have for his equipment but from the looks of it the outfitter gave him everything he needs so he won't die

That's what made the outfitter such a cunning con man. He basically condensed the symptoms of hypothermia to make it sound more dangerous and make the mark's hypochondria act up, threw in snow blindness so he could sell some goggles, and renamed it "ice fever" to make it mysterious since most people are at least familiar with the idea of hypothermia. The best lies contain the most truth, and it's interesting that someone on the writing staff understands that.

Dewey's response was clever, too. He backed the merchant into a corner by playing along with the snow blindness ruse: either the outfitter keeps up the charade and has to at least give Dewey and Launchpad a refund to keep them quiet, or he does what he did and calls Dewey's bluff, which is actually the bluff he's using on the customers in front of him.

Bobbin Threadbare fucked around with this message at 05:30 on Dec 3, 2017

Symbolic Butt
Mar 22, 2009

(_!_)
Buglord

cant cook creole bream posted:

This was my favorite part of the episode

misadventurous
Jun 26, 2013

the wise gem bowed her head solemnly and spoke: "theres actually zero difference between good & bad quartzes. you imbecile. you fucking moron"

"If I had a nickel for every person who cursed me with their dying breath, I'd be twice as rich as I already am!"

Yvonmukluk
Oct 10, 2012

Everything is Sinister

Bobbin Threadbare posted:

That's what made the outfitter such a cunning con man. He basically condensed the symptoms of hypothermia to make it sound more dangerous and make the mark's hypochondria act up, threw in snow blindness so he could sell some goggles, and renamed it "ice fever" to make it mysterious since most people are at least familiar with the idea of hypothermia. The best lies contain the most truth, and it's interesting that someone on the writing staff understands that.

Dewey's response was clever, too. He backed the merchant into a corner by playing along with the snow blindness ruse: either the outfitter keeps up the charade and has to at least give Dewey and Launchpad a refund to keep them quiet, or he does what he did and calls Dewey's bluff, which is actually the bluff he's using on the customers in front of him.

Erm...I think you mean Louie.

Also, I loved his immediately rejecting the adventure to hang out at the resort as soon as he learned there was no treasure involved.

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

misadventurous posted:

"If I had a nickel for every person who cursed me with their dying breath, I'd be twice as rich as I already am!"

Okay, now picture, if you can, James Urbaniak saying that line instead of David Tennant.

Tell me again that this show isn't just Venture Bros. with funny animals...

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

I like how even when they're bundled up in the frigid snow they still don't wear pants.

RandomPauI
Nov 24, 2006

Grimey Drawer
I can't think of a line that Scrooge said that Doc couldn't pull off but it's less effective the other way around. A lot of lines still work though

---

Mrs. Beakley: What the hell is this thing made out of?
Scrooge: [suspiciously] Nothing.
Mrs. Beakley: Come on...
Scrooge: All right, fine, I might have used a few unorthodox parts.
Mrs. Beakley: Just tell me one.
Dr. Venture: [mumbling] An... orphan.
Mrs. Beakley: A what? An orphan? Did you say... an ORPHAN? It's powered by a forsaken child?
Scrooge: [defensive] Might be, kind of - I mean I didn't use the whole thing!

---

Lewey: What's our mission?
Scrooge: Your mission is to have the best drat home-school prom 500$ can buy!

---

Lewey: That's a tight fit.
Webby: It's like they were made for each other!
Scrooge: Yes, because they were, because they were both made by the same guy. Now can we finish this up, please?

---

Scrooge: [emoting clues to Venture during a guessing game] You're a brainless nobody who lives entirely off your uncle's fame and fortune!
Donald Duck: Uh... George Bush?
Scrooge: [More upset] Hardly! I've never, NEVER hated anyone more than you!
Donald: Um... let's see... Hit... Did Hitler have a son?
Scrooge: [Even more upset] No! You should just admit that your a failure and drink poison!
Donald: Um... Socrates' son?

---

Scrooge: Hmm, how they fit a stairway behind this bookcase, I'll never figure out. Hey, if I pull this candle down, will it...?
Mrs. Beakley: ...get wax on the carpet? Yes

Edit:

I know that the writers said this wasn't a Christmas episode but it got moved to December anyways. But one of the opening lines is that they were there instead of home for Christmas.

RandomPauI fucked around with this message at 02:39 on Dec 4, 2017

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Guessing they added the Christmas line in the cold opening (ha!) to justify the ep being pushed back.

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004
This show is great. Fun, funny, breezy, good characters, well written. It's one of the better pure adventure shows I've seen.

But as an adult in 2017 I'm also struggling with watching an escapist fantasy about the ultra wealthy. Sure, it occasionally addresses economic disparity issues in a line or two, or tries to make Scrooge more generous than in the original show. But it's really difficult not to see some ugly class commentary in there for me, especially when it comes to the Beagle Boys living in trailers in a junk yard, or the one lower class friend having a dark spirit living inside her that occasionally comes out to attempt murder, or Huey Dewey and Louie acting like entitled rich kids at the arcade then ultimately being rewarded for it with even more privelage, or the downtrodden inventor being dismissed and nickel-and-dimed by a corporate board who is poised to make fabulous wealth off of his ideas.

Maybe all of that is completely intentional and the show is just addressing it in time in a nuanced way. But to me the show never quite seems to land on the ethically right side of the issues for me. I just keep feeling like Scrooge should have a Schindler's List moment where he realizes that greed is a disease and capitalism is evil and he could alleviate so much suffering in the world if he just didn't have a giant bin full of gold to swim in.

Or maybe it's just a kid's show and I should let it go.

amigolupus
Aug 25, 2017

Another great episode! I've said this before, but I really love how they spread the cast so there would be different group dynamics per episode. Dewey being there to temper Scrooge's recklessness was great. And I was wondering how Dewey and Webby would be like together, and it turns out the two are just psyched to have adventures. :allears:

cant cook creole bream posted:

I was kind of worried there for a second that the show would do what Up did and have the explorer duck turn out to be alive and crazy and they'd have to fight him, but nope! Guy was dead as a doornail.

Also it's kind of crazy that for a kids' show, they actually acknowledged he died stubbornly trying to climb Mt. Neverest.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

They have changed up Scrooge's character a bit to focus more on adventuring and his personal ethics than his greed, so obviously keeping in mind there's significantly less sympathy for wealthy characters in this day and age. And pretty much every other rich character featured so far has been a villain or at least a jerk.

HIJK
Nov 25, 2012
in the room where you sleep

feedmyleg posted:

This show is great. Fun, funny, breezy, good characters, well written. It's one of the better pure adventure shows I've seen.

But as an adult in 2017 I'm also struggling with watching an escapist fantasy about the ultra wealthy. Sure, it occasionally addresses economic disparity issues in a line or two, or tries to make Scrooge more generous than in the original show. But it's really difficult not to see some ugly class commentary in there for me, especially when it comes to the Beagle Boys living in trailers in a junk yard, or the one lower class friend having a dark spirit living inside her that occasionally comes out to attempt murder, or Huey Dewey and Louie acting like entitled rich kids at the arcade then ultimately being rewarded for it with even more privelage, or the downtrodden inventor being dismissed and nickel-and-dimed by a corporate board who is poised to make fabulous wealth off of his ideas.

Maybe all of that is completely intentional and the show is just addressing it in time in a nuanced way. But to me the show never quite seems to land on the ethically right side of the issues for me. I just keep feeling like Scrooge should have a Schindler's List moment where he realizes that greed is a disease and capitalism is evil and he could alleviate so much suffering in the world if he just didn't have a giant bin full of gold to swim in.

It is certainly a kid's show and Scrooge's wealth is a plot device to let the kids go to strange and fascinating places instead school. Expecting a cartoon retelling of The Wire is what sank Korra, it's a lot to ask of a kid's cartoon to ask for a plot where Scrooge McDuck, a guy who grew up in horrific crippling poverty, to realize that having wealth and the ability to take care of himself and his family without fear is actually pure evil.

It's a cartoon aimed at young kids, I don't think it can sustain that kind of commentary without a huge tone shift.

Bobbin Threadbare
Jan 2, 2009

I'm looking for a flock of urbanmechs.

feedmyleg posted:

Your interpretation isn't really supported by the text of the show. The Beagles are career criminals raised to be such by Ma Beagle. Magica's niece may be from the wrong side of the tracks, but the only person who has a problem with that is Webby's working-class grandmother. The triplets lived in a house boat until very recently and had long ago established their routines at Funso's Fun Zone, so them acting entitled has nothing to do with their wealth or class. The inventor is erratic and creates destructive robots more often than not, but Scrooge gives him a regular salary on the off chance that he creates something valuable and/or so he won't use his destructive robots to get revenge.

I'll grant you that Scrooge is greedier than he needs to be considering his wealth, but at the same time his skinflint ways mean he employs people like Launchpad who probably wouldn't have a job otherwise. Plus he's self-made; I don't think we've seen a single "old money" character on the show.

Funky Valentine
Feb 26, 2014

Dojyaa~an

"There is no ethical consumption under capitalism, Unca Scrooge," says Dewey as he puts on his Che shirt.

counterfeitsaint
Feb 26, 2010

I'm a girl, and you're
gnomes, and it's like
what? Yikes.
I was kinda on board until you equated being possessed by a demon as part of the class struggle.

X_Toad
Apr 2, 2011

feedmyleg posted:

But as an adult in 2017 I'm also struggling with watching an escapist fantasy about the ultra wealthy. Sure, it occasionally addresses economic disparity issues in a line or two, or tries to make Scrooge more generous than in the original show.
Being a Don Rosa fan first and foremost, my main problem with adaptations like DuckTales is that they forget that Scrooge's cheapness applies to others but also to himself. His living quarters are a one-room appartment in the bin, the clothes he most often wear are decades old, he would rather walk than have a chauffeur, etc.

But of course, I can't deny that having stories in which Scrooge deals with real-life tycoons problems would be fascinating. How did he treat with unions, does he see his employees as the first adjustment variables like so many modern CEOs do, would he lobby for always lower taxes on his businesses, etc.

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004
Totally. I was thrown off in the episode with the board vultures where he had so many extraneous expenses - it struck me as very un-Scrooge.

counterfeitsaint posted:

I was kinda on board until you equated being possessed by a demon as part of the class struggle.

I don't think it's that much of a stretch to say that a decent number of wealthy Republicans think that poor people have something bad inside of them that makes them commit crimes.

But yeah, obviously the show shouldn't be overtly about class warfare. But there have just been too many little things that strike me as slightly more tone-deaf than ideal. I'm still going to watch and enjoy the show, but I wish they'd at least made Scrooge a more active philanthropist or something.

Funky Valentine
Feb 26, 2014

Dojyaa~an

X_Toad posted:

does he see his employees as the first adjustment variables like so many modern CEOs do,

He hasn't fired Launchpad yet so probably not.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
I've always enjoyed Scrooge's stinginess.

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

feedmyleg posted:

Totally. I was thrown off in the episode with the board vultures where he had so many extraneous expenses - it struck me as very un-Scrooge.

To be fair Scrooge has always been willing to spend extra on protecting his money bin. (Not to mention paying for the money bin itself, something the Vultures pointed out) Scrooge even in the comics by Barks and Rosa has been known to spend lots of cash on some weird stuff. Like the Time he bought a restaurant for a million dollars so he could make Donald do the dishes to pay off his 32 dollar tab or when he had 40 extra money bins constructed so he could hide his money in just one of them.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

X_Toad
Apr 2, 2011

MonsterEnvy posted:

To be fair Scrooge has always been willing to spend extra on protecting his money bin. (Not to mention paying for the money bin itself, something the Vultures pointed out) Scrooge even in the comics by Barks and Rosa has been known to spend lots of cash on some weird stuff. Like the Time he bought a restaurant for a million dollars so he could make Donald do the dishes to pay off his 32 dollar tab or when he had 40 extra money bins constructed so he could hide his money in just one of them.
Isn't that part of the European tradition of comics though? I remember one where I spent an inordinate amount of money to transfer the cash in his bin on a gigantic plane (the cost was offset by the fact that his bin cost him a fortune in insurance), only to reverse the plan when the Beagle Boys easily slip on board, nearly steal everything and suddenly the plane becomes an even bigger insurance cost.