Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

guppy
Sep 21, 2004

sting like a byob
A friend of mine hosted dinner and I brought cookies. The menu was Italian, so I wanted to make something that fit the theme, and after Googling, I ended up with anginetti, Italian lemon cookies.

They came out really well, soft and light with strong lemon flavor. Recipe here. I don't have a drop of Italian in me, so I have no idea how authentic they are. I was a bit taken aback by the 5 tsp of baking powder and the entire 1oz bottle(!) of lemon extract plus zest in the dough, but while the lemon flavor is strong, it's not overpowering at all and I really liked them. If you're making this, buy two 1oz bottles of extract, you need a little more for the icing. The blogger's comments about a yield of 50 were about right, I got 52 out of mine. (The comments are also where I got confirmation that yes, the entire bottle of extract really does go in the dough.)

I have no professional experience and don't really understand what ingredients do what in a baking recipe; I'm wondering what makes them come out so light. Is it the baking powder?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Midniter
Jul 9, 2001

That recipe has five cups of flour and only one cup of sugar, which is a pretty low ratio of sugar to flour. Sugar promotes browning, so with a low (for a cookie) amount of sugar and a bake time that's not terribly long, that would be my guess as to why they don't get too dark.

The baking powder is a leavening agent which creates bubbles of carbon dioxide that help the cookies rise. Otherwise, they'd bake up flat as a pancake.

cocoavalley
Dec 28, 2010

Well son, a funny thing about regret is that it's better to regret something you have done than to regret something you haven't done

Those look yummy :) As an Italian-American, I can say that they are very similar to recipes that have been in my family for years.

Funny thing about these high-yield family recipes, my grandmother's spiced "meatball" cookies call for 'a bottle' of anise. We don't know what size ... She took that knowledge with her when I was a toddler (along with her pastiera recipe that my aunt has been trying to recreate every Easter for at least 30 years. No, none of the recipes online is right, ask me how I know! :v:) I can remember more than one Christmas when we'd have a shitton of leftover overpowering anise cookies. My mother swears she used the smallest bottle she could find. We eventually gave up and pivoted to a different recipe married into the family (it doesn't have any anise in it, ha).

Italian Meatball Cookies
Yields 4-5 dozen

4 cups flour
1 cup sugar
½ cup baking cocoa
1 teaspoon each baking powder and baking soda
1 teaspoon each ground clove, ground nutmeg, ground cinnamon
¼ teaspoon ground allspice
1 cup milk
⅔ cup oil

For icing:
2 cups confectioner’s (powdered) sugar
A tablespoon or so of milk

Preheat oven to 350°F. Mix the dry ingredients together in one bowl and the wet ingredients in another bowl (big enough to eventually hold all of the ingredients). Gradually add the dry ingredient mixture into the wet mixture. Once the dough has come together, pinch off 1-1½ inch pieces and roll into balls. Place 2 inches apart on cookie sheet and bake for about 10 minutes. Cool completely. For the icing, add the milk a little bit at a time to the powdered sugar until the consistency of thick syrup or condensed milk. Dip the cookies in the icing and let dry on waxed paper. (I just dunk and coat them completely, but half-dips are ok, too)

Their texture is cakey and lighter than typical drop cookies, reminiscent of donut-holes.

PERMACAV 50
Jul 24, 2007

because we are cat

guppy posted:

Italian lemon cookies

cocoavalley posted:

Italian Meatball Cookies

I'm stealing both of these. Thanks in advance on behalf of my coworkers!

guppy
Sep 21, 2004

sting like a byob

The Midniter posted:

That recipe has five cups of flour and only one cup of sugar, which is a pretty low ratio of sugar to flour. Sugar promotes browning, so with a low (for a cookie) amount of sugar and a bake time that's not terribly long, that would be my guess as to why they don't get too dark.

The baking powder is a leavening agent which creates bubbles of carbon dioxide that help the cookies rise. Otherwise, they'd bake up flat as a pancake.

Sorry, I should have been clearer. I mean "light" in the sense of density and weight, not color. I am glad to know about sugar and browning, though.

Suspect Bucket
Jan 15, 2012

SHRIMPDOR WAS A MAN
I mean, HE WAS A SHRIMP MAN
er, maybe also A DRAGON
or possibly
A MINOR LEAGUE BASEBALL TEAM
BUT HE WAS STILL
SHRIMPDOR
What would be a good dairy and egg free cookie? Doesn't have to be vegan or paleo or whatever bullshit, I'd just like to bring in cookies to work and three co-workers are ovo-lacto free. Two for medical reasons, one's vegan but she's extremely cool and low-key about it and bends the rules for honey and other low impact animal products every once and again, and I just want to make something everyone can enjoy because my co-workers are all pretty darn cool. As far as I know, nuts are OK and beloved, so load that poo poo up.

I'll probably make fruit leather if I cant whip up cookies.

Suspect Bucket fucked around with this message at 23:32 on Nov 15, 2017

legendof
Oct 27, 2014

I'd make date balls, since they're free of eggs and dairy to begin with. Also, I just loving love date balls.

TychoCelchuuu
Jan 2, 2012

This space for Rent.

Suspect Bucket posted:

What would be a good dairy and egg free cookie? Doesn't have to be vegan or paleo or whatever bullshit, I'd just like to bring in cookies to work and three co-workers are ovo-lacto free. Two for medical reasons, one's vegan but she's extremely cool and low-key about it and bends the rules for honey and other low impact animal products every once and again, and I just want to make something everyone can enjoy because my co-workers are all pretty darn cool. As far as I know, nuts are OK and beloved, so load that poo poo up.

I've never disliked a recipe from this book. I've had two people tell me the chocolate chip cookies are the best they've ever had. These are really good if you can handle spicy cookies. Here's a well-regard chocolate chip cookie recipe I've never tried. Really though if you just Google "vegan X cookie" where X is whatever kind of cookie you want to make, you'll get more recipes than you can handle. Asking for a good dairy and egg free cookie is basically like asking for a good cookie these days - you have so many options that it's basically impossible for anyone to give an answer except "I like these cookies" or whatever.

Anne Whateley
Feb 11, 2007
:unsmith: i like nice words
A lot of vegan cookies rely on ingredients that nonvegan cooks don't have on hand, or techniques that are kind of a pain in the rear end. This recipe is just, like, coincidentally vegan, and you don't have to gently caress around with flaxseed or chickpeas or anything. Nonvegans will happily eat it without even realizing.

https://www.vogue.com/article/ovenly-vegan-chocolate-chip-cookie-recipe

The only heads-up if you are making it for vegans is to look at the ingredients of the chips, like obviously milk chocolate won't work.

Suspect Bucket
Jan 15, 2012

SHRIMPDOR WAS A MAN
er, maybe also A DRAGON
or possibly
BUT HE WAS STILL
SHRIMPDOR
Oh my god what even is vegan chocolate. I have literally never even considered that in my life. I guess just dark chocolate? Which is superior in choco chip cookie making anyway, especially if it's a nice sweet dough.

That recipe does look like it would be excellent with a bit of grated coconut mixed in. Mm.

TychoCelchuuu
Jan 2, 2012

This space for Rent.
Many brands of dark chocolate are vegan. You can Google it to find out.

Suspect Bucket
Jan 15, 2012

SHRIMPDOR WAS A MAN
er, maybe also A DRAGON
or possibly
BUT HE WAS STILL
SHRIMPDOR

TychoCelchuuu posted:

Many brands of dark chocolate are vegan. You can Google it to find out.

Awesome, will do.

SymmetryrtemmyS
Jul 13, 2013

I got super tired of seeing your avatar throwing those fuckin' glasses around in the astrology thread so I fixed it to a .jpg

Suspect Bucket posted:

Coworkers of mine have described these as the best cookies they've ever had. They're my go-to cookie when I want to impress, and they've never failed.

They're sort of like a cross between polvorones and shortbread. They have a sort of crumbly texture, but they melt in your mouth due to all the butter and powdered sugar (not granulated! the cornstarch improves their texture). Last time I made them I added some nutmeg and mace to the cinnamon, and it turned out very well.

Ingredients

225 grams butter, room temperature
240 grams powdered sugar
2 teaspoons (10 ml) vanilla extract
250 grams all purpose flour
about 110 grams pecans, hazelnuts or other nuts, toasted and finely ground (if using hazelnuts, wrap in a dishtowel while still warm and roll about until most of the brown skins come off)
ground cinnamon (optional)

Method

Using electric mixer, beat butter in large bowl until light and fluffy. Add 60g powdered sugar and vanilla; beat until well blended. Beat in flour, then nuts. Divide dough in half; form each half into ball. Wrap separately in plastic; chill until cold, about 30 minutes.

Preheat oven to 350°F. Whisk remaining 1 1/2 cups powdered sugar and cinnamon, if using, in pie dish to blend. Set cinnamon sugar aside.

Working with half of chilled dough, roll dough by 2 teaspoonfuls between palms into balls. Arrange balls on heavy large baking sheet, spacing 1/2 inch apart. Bake cookies until golden brown on bottom and just pale golden on top, about 18 minutes. Cool cookies 5 minutes on baking sheet. Gently toss warm cookies in cinnamon sugar to coat completely. Transfer coated cookies to rack and cool completely. Repeat procedure with remaining half of dough. (Cookies can be prepared 2 days ahead. Store airtight at room temperature; reserve remaining cinnamon sugar.)

Sift remaining cinnamon sugar over cookies and serve.

e: never mind, dairy :v:

Still keeping this recipe in the post because it's extremely thread relevant

Boywhiz88
Sep 11, 2005

floating 26" off da ground. BURR!
I’m dying!

The whole time I’m reading I’m waiting for the butter substitute or a sarcastic comment about loving vegans, just use butter.

Then I reached the edit! Too good

Gonna try monster cookies for the first time today

Dogwood Fleet
Sep 14, 2013

cocoavalley posted:

Those look yummy :) As an Italian-American, I can say that they are very similar to recipes that have been in my family for years.

Funny thing about these high-yield family recipes, my grandmother's spiced "meatball" cookies call for 'a bottle' of anise. We don't know what size ... She took that knowledge with her when I was a toddler (along with her pastiera recipe that my aunt has been trying to recreate every Easter for at least 30 years. No, none of the recipes online is right, ask me how I know! :v:) I can remember more than one Christmas when we'd have a shitton of leftover overpowering anise cookies. My mother swears she used the smallest bottle she could find. We eventually gave up and pivoted to a different recipe married into the family (it doesn't have any anise in it, ha).

Italian Meatball Cookies
Yields 4-5 dozen

4 cups flour
1 cup sugar
½ cup baking cocoa
1 teaspoon each baking powder and baking soda
1 teaspoon each ground clove, ground nutmeg, ground cinnamon
¼ teaspoon ground allspice
1 cup milk
⅔ cup oil

For icing:
2 cups confectioner’s (powdered) sugar
A tablespoon or so of milk

Preheat oven to 350°F. Mix the dry ingredients together in one bowl and the wet ingredients in another bowl (big enough to eventually hold all of the ingredients). Gradually add the dry ingredient mixture into the wet mixture. Once the dough has come together, pinch off 1-1½ inch pieces and roll into balls. Place 2 inches apart on cookie sheet and bake for about 10 minutes. Cool completely. For the icing, add the milk a little bit at a time to the powdered sugar until the consistency of thick syrup or condensed milk. Dip the cookies in the icing and let dry on waxed paper. (I just dunk and coat them completely, but half-dips are ok, too)

Their texture is cakey and lighter than typical drop cookies, reminiscent of donut-holes.

Those look amazing. I'm guessing you already thought of this, but could your grandmother have been using bottles with the whole flower shaped seed pod in them? That could make a bit of a difference.

dog nougat
Apr 8, 2009
Wanted some cookies the other night after making dinner. Decided to whip up a batch of chocolate chip, since they're pretty drat quick to make. Orange, almond, cardamom chocolate chip cookies.

Almond flavor didn't really come through too much, and was more of a textural thing. The bursts of orange from the best and the cardamon really came through great and really complimented the bittersweet chocolate. Def my new fav for when I wanna just throw some cookies together quickly.

PERMACAV 50
Jul 24, 2007

because we are cat
The past few efforts:

Green Mint Chocolate Chip Cookies

Dark Chocolate Mint Chip Cookies- this isn't the exact recipe I used, but it's close enough and probably better anyway

Nutella Peanut Butter Chip Cookies

Gwyrgyn Blood
Dec 17, 2002

Those all look amazing and I'm gonna make at least one of those this weekend.

I made those Mexican Hot Chocolate Snickerdoodles posted earlier a couple of times as well. Like those a lot, though I tweaked the recipe a bit to use half Coconut oil/extract, and cut down on the Cayenne a bit. Kind of want to replace the Cayenne with a different pepper entirely but I'll have to play around with it.

PERMACAV 50
Jul 24, 2007

because we are cat

Gwyrgyn Blood posted:

Those all look amazing and I'm gonna make at least one of those this weekend.

I made those Mexican Hot Chocolate Snickerdoodles posted earlier a couple of times as well. Like those a lot, though I tweaked the recipe a bit to use half Coconut oil/extract, and cut down on the Cayenne a bit. Kind of want to replace the Cayenne with a different pepper entirely but I'll have to play around with it.

I bet chipotle powder would be good in those.

Boywhiz88
Sep 11, 2005

gently caress yeah those green Mint cookies.

Rotten Cookies
Nov 11, 2008

gosh! i like both the islanders and the rangers!!! :^)

Not Very Good Pictures incoming. It's all I got of the test batches with my phone.

From 10 o'clock going forward there's spumoni (pistachio, chocolate, cherry tri-cookie) that accidentally got too much time, pfeffernusse on top which were a pain but came out awesome, cardamom sugar cookies are my personal faves, and mint-chocolate.

This is a sugar cookie with chopped pistachio, almond extract, and green food coloring. The test batch has come out awesome, and my girlfriend is addicted. lovely christmas tree shape? Nah, those are gonna be holly leaves

Making huge batches of cookie dough in advance is loving awesome. Got a basement freezer with 36 dozen cookies worth of dough hell yeah

Rotten Cookies fucked around with this message at 18:30 on Dec 4, 2017

Boywhiz88
Sep 11, 2005

Fellow bakers: Target has big things going this week! They’ve apparently started Guittard chips which are great! 40 cents cheaper than Cub! My friend Jen swears by em! Ghiradelli baking bars, cocoa, and big bags of chip have a 20% Cartwheel coupon. The 24oz bags go down to $4.79 from $6, they’re cheaper than Nestle! And cheapest I’ve seen by far since at least July!

Repost from my FB but I figured folks might appreciate the info. It’s most relevant if you’re in the Twin Cities, it’s the most relevant but hopefully it might help some folks.

Love those cookies, any chance you could share the spumoni recipe?

Does anyone have interest in a baking thread? I love the cookie thread but want to share more, and get more advice, recipes, etc for other baked goods!

The title I’m thinking of is The Baking Thread: baking is a science, cooking is a fart

fknlo
Jul 6, 2009

Fun Shoe

Boywhiz88 posted:

Does anyone have interest in a baking thread? I love the cookie thread but want to share more, and get more advice, recipes, etc for other baked goods!

The title I’m thinking of is The Baking Thread: baking is a science, cooking is a fart

I'd be interested. I've moved 600 miles away from my favorite bakery and haven't found anything local that even remotely replicates the amazing poo poo they made so I'm going to start making things myself as if that's going to be successful by any means. Gotta try though.

On cookies, my favorite thing they made were salted oatmeal cream pies.

They're so amazing. I'm going to make a couple of recipes from the thread this weekend. It's gonna be my first time making cookies from scratch. Can't wait to see how I gently caress it up!

Rotten Cookies
Nov 11, 2008

Boywhiz88 posted:

Love those cookies, any chance you could share the spumoni recipe?

1 C softened butter
0.5 C Sugar
1 tsp vanilla (I omitted it once by mistake and it was fine? I keep using it though because, well, whatevers)
1 egg
2.25 C flour
0.25 tsp salt

Divide the dough into thirds, then each one gets
(0.25C chopped pistachio, green food coloring, 1 tsp almond extract)
OR
( 1 ounce/square of unsweetened chocolate, melted and cooled)
OR
(2 tbs of finely chopped maraschino cherries)

Then you layer the three doughs all fancy like so you get some neat green/brown/red cookies.

fknlo
Jul 6, 2009

Fun Shoe
I made some cookies! First time making some from scratch, I think they turned out ok? I did use too many chocolate chips. I didn't have chunks like in the recipe but used some semi-sweet and bittersweet chips. It said the dough would be crumbly but I think mine was over crumbly and I had to pack it a little bit to get it to hold together. They're pretty good.

PERMACAV 50
Jul 24, 2007

because we are cat
This week has been COOKIE WEEK. In addition to additional batches of cookies I've already posted here, I made:

Molasses Crinkles

Orange Almond Kisses, which came from this newspaper clipping:

Caveat: I have NO IDEA where they got "four dozen" from. I followed the directions to the T and got precisely 22.

Cranberry Orange sugar cookies. EVERYBODY likes these.

Chewy Cranberry White Chocolate cookies. Holy poo poo, do NOT overbake these. I burn these every loving year. One of these days I'll figure it out.

:siren: BONUS MOM ROUND: :siren:

Christmas Mickeys that mom did for a client, and Pusheens for my sister and brother-in-law's Christmas box.

PERMACAV 50
Jul 24, 2007

because we are cat
Christmas is in two weeks, you can't tell me I'm the only one baking some fuckin cookies!!

Chewy Peanut Butter Chocolate Chip Cookies

Left vs. right is the difference between hand-rolling dough balls and plopping them right on the tray out of the scoop :eng101:

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

🎧Listen to Cylindricule!🎵
https://linktr.ee/Cylindricule

Oh hey, there's a cookie thread!

I had a huge chocolate craving last night when I was shopping, so I ended up making these cookies.

They're chocolate with broken pieces of caramel M&Ms mixed in. They're pretty rich.

Trebuchet King
Jul 5, 2005

This post...

...is a
WORK OF FICTION!!

oh my gosh I wish the pusheen cookies were for me.

Oneiros
Jan 12, 2007

Sex Hobbit posted:

:siren: BONUS MOM ROUND: :siren:

Christmas Mickeys that mom did for a client, and Pusheens for my sister and brother-in-law's Christmas box.

Your mom is a cookie wizard :worship:

Sex Hobbit posted:

Oh poo poo, I didn't even know this thread was here. I bake cookies for work just about every week and go hog loving wild every holiday season. I don't even know where to start.

But you can get your basic bitch on with these pumpkin spice snickerdoodles I've made a whole bunch of times, 'tis the season.

Here are mine:

Trying to get back into the habit of baking after a rough year so I’m giving these a try. Never would have though to put actual pumpkin into cookies. Dough is chilling overnight hopefully they’ll turn out OK. The spices smelled so good while I was putting it together!

Rotten Cookies
Nov 11, 2008

I already shown these in worse pictures, but I figured I should Just Post and put in a better pic. Also included a handy cookie guide for my family party.

And jesus fuckin' christ those pusheen and mickey mom cookies look phenomenal.

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

Rotten Cookies posted:

And jesus fuckin' christ those pusheen and mickey mom cookies look phenomenal.

Do those have outlines?!? They look outlined! How do people do this poo poo?

PERMACAV 50
Jul 24, 2007

because we are cat

Brawnfire posted:

Do those have outlines?!? They look outlined! How do people do this poo poo?

There are a TON of tutorials out there (this is something she's only gotten into since she retired last year) but the short version is you use slightly thicker icing to pipe around the outside and let it set before filling the inside with runnier icing. I'll pass the compliments along the next time I see her :)

Anyway, I decided it was time for something cute at work, so peanut butter cookies with M&Ms happened.

These come out very cakey and floury, so caveat baker if that's not really your bag.

edit- Oneiros, how did the pumpkin cookies come out?

PERMACAV 50 fucked around with this message at 06:57 on Dec 19, 2017

tsc
Jun 18, 2004
hostis humani generis

I love spritz cookies. "Holiday spice" aka cinnamon, cloves, and a poo poo load of ginger. Little bit of heavy cream for a smoother consistency.

PERMACAV 50
Jul 24, 2007

because we are cat

tsc posted:

I love spritz cookies. "Holiday spice" aka cinnamon, cloves, and a poo poo load of ginger. Little bit of heavy cream for a smoother consistency.

Hell yes! I just picked up a cookies press today from the thrift shop for all of $2.

Mr_Roke
Jan 1, 2014

Sex Hobbit posted:

The Christmas Mickeys are incredible and I now want a Mickey cookie cutter.

I'm halfway through attempting these sugar cookies. Baked them Saturday and they turned out very well but my attempts at decorating them was an aborted disaster. I made my icing too thick and the piping bags I bought were too small to roll down any of my cups & glasses to give me enough free hands to fill them. Most of my first colour ended up on the counter rather than in a bag.

So I dumped the batch of icing and stuck the cookies in ziploc bags in a container in a freezer. I have no idea if they actually freeze well but I'm giving it another go Thursday or Friday with bigger bags. If I can get the icing consistently and manage a piping bag decently (I've never piped before) I figure it shouldn't be too hard - outline the cookie, fill, and then it's just dots or lines with some toothpick dragging for the fancy looking stuff.

Oneiros
Jan 12, 2007

Sex Hobbit posted:

edit- Oneiros, how did the pumpkin cookies come out?

Delicious, thank you for sharing the recipe! I was kinda skeptical because even chilled to near-freezing the dough was super sticky and nearly unmanageable but they turned out super fluffy and moist and delicious. Coworkers tore thru two dozen today and I’ve got another batch making my kitchen smell amazing right now (god help my waistline).

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

Chocolate cookies, dipped in mint white chocolate and sprankled with pulverized christmas

tsc
Jun 18, 2004
hostis humani generis
I tried to make some really basic chocolate chip cookies and they somehow retained the shape of the cookie scoop. But they're still chocolate chip cookies, so.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Suspect Bucket
Jan 15, 2012

SHRIMPDOR WAS A MAN
er, maybe also A DRAGON
or possibly
BUT HE WAS STILL
SHRIMPDOR

tsc posted:

I tried to make some really basic chocolate chip cookies and they somehow retained the shape of the cookie scoop. But they're still chocolate chip cookies, so.

That's a pretty cool trick actually. Taste good?