Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

> BEWARE, COWARD :ovr:

Cowcaster posted:

i am receiving independent reports that this indeed is apparently much lauded switch gotm xenoblade 2

wish i could see that tweet at work because i suspect i know which character is being referred to and want to commisserate

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Spring Break My Heart
Feb 15, 2012
There's something weird and stiff about the way Mega Man looks in the trailer. Like the enemies look fine, even. Oh well

FauxLeather
Nov 7, 2016

Um Bongo

Help Im Alive posted:

I think it looks ok but I've only played like three mega mans (mega men)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3aSC5A726f0

This looks so good!
I can really tell they're putting more care into the environments and enemies than Mighty No. 9 did because they're shaded in such a vibrant way and have really clear 2D-like silhouettes.
That digger boss at the end of the trailer is so gorgeous.

Dyz
Dec 10, 2010

Saint Freak posted:

My back hurts by proxy.

Xenobra

Cowcaster
Aug 7, 2002

oh my god i just realized she's shaped exactly like dickbutt

Olive!
Mar 16, 2015

It's not a ghost, but probably a 'living corpse'. The 'living dead' with a hell of a lot of bloodlust...

Raxivace posted:

Honestly that sounds like what I found offputting about the humor in Nuts & Bolts too, particularly in the beginning.

Motto
Aug 3, 2013

Spring Break My Heart posted:

There's something weird and stiff about the way Mega Man looks in the trailer. Like the enemies look fine, even. Oh well

I think they're emulating the 8-bit animations and poses a little too much to not look odd on the model, but that's my only issue with the style.

Taintrunner
Apr 10, 2017

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

hosed up that this is still the best banjo kazooie game

Cowcaster
Aug 7, 2002

does this count as nws

grieving for Gandalf
Apr 22, 2008

so someone tell me the backstory to that character from xenoblade. what's going on here

Accordion Man
Nov 7, 2012

Buglord
I like how when I first saw the two protags for Xenoblade 2 I was all like, "Those designs are poo poo."

And then Monolith went, "You ain't seen anything yet, rear end in a top hat!"

Saint Freak
Apr 16, 2007

Regretting is an insult to oneself
Buglord

grieving for Gandalf posted:

so someone tell me the backstory to that character from xenoblade. what's going on here

are you prepared to feel ashamed of your words & deeds?

Dyz
Dec 10, 2010
I just noticed her back is arched like 90 degrees too

It’s broken

Dyz fucked around with this message at 21:59 on Dec 4, 2017

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

I hate it when game devs frontload their character content.

grieving for Gandalf
Apr 22, 2008

Saint Freak posted:

are you prepared to feel ashamed of your words & deeds?

someone needs to be shamed for this and if it's me, I want to know now

Motto
Aug 3, 2013

The game has some randomly acquired party members that were farmed out to guest artists, and either the artist felt like drawing that or they were asked for it.

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

You summon a lot of random units to fill out your party and that one is one of the uniques you can summon.

There are a lot of weird designs in there.

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused

So the deal is that Xenoblade 2 has a mechanic where you equip "blades", which are living weapons. The weapons are inhabited by spirits which take on a variety of forms. You can think of them as summons from any other JRPG because that's what they are. Now instead of designing their own characters with consistent visuals and themes, Monolith instead invited tons of artists from other studios to design blades to be included in the game. The result is that they all look like they stepped out of different games and have nothing connecting them to the setting or story.

So to answer your question directly; there is no backstory to that character. Some artist just wanted to draw Shiva from FF with even bigger tits and Monolith went "hell yeah we'll put that in our game".

FauxLeather
Nov 7, 2016

Um Bongo
Maybe I'm just used to mobages with shitloads of guest artists. One or two stinker character designs like hers is pretty much inevitable, she looks like she vacuum sealed herself within a Laura Ashley curtain (along with two pillows).
It's pretty standard as far as JRPG character designs go, she's like a really forgettable iteration of Final Fantasy's Shiva or something.

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!

ok maybe nuts & bolts really is bad

tap my mountain
Jan 1, 2009

I'm the quick and the deadly
They're basically personas except most of them are busty waifus

Saint Freak
Apr 16, 2007

Buglord

Internet Kraken posted:

So the deal is that Xenoblade 2 has a mechanic where you equip "blades", which are living weapons. The weapons are inhabited by spirits which take on a variety of forms. You can think of them as summons from any other JRPG because that's what they are. Now instead of designing their own characters with consistent visuals and themes, Monolith instead invited tons of artists from other studios to design blades to be included in the game. The result is that they all look like they stepped out of different games and have nothing connecting them to the setting or story.

So to answer your question directly; there is no backstory to that character. Some artist just wanted to draw Shiva from FF with even bigger tits and Monolith went "hell yeah we'll put that in our game".

Oh so its that vita game that advertises WEAPONIZED LESBIANS and they turn into weapons.

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

I got a dude that looks like Yoshimitsu and has flaming hair

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused

FauxLeather posted:

Maybe I'm just used to mobages with shitloads of guest artists. One or two stinker character designs like hers is pretty much inevitable, she looks like she vacuum sealed herself within a Laura Ashley curtain (along with two pillows).
It's pretty standard as far as JRPG character designs go, she's like a really forgettable iteration of Final Fantasy's Shiva or something.

Yeah but its not "one or two" bad designs. The vast majority of the rare blades I've seen look terrible. Even the ones that look good strike the inherent problem that using guest artists results in; there's no consistent design to them. They don't look like they should all be in the same game and have no connection to the story or setting. If you don't care about that then its not an issue but I like to get immersed in RPGs and having consistent visuals is important for that.

EDIT: Here's a random pic I stole from the Xenoblade 2 thread to highlight my problem with the visuals (contains spoilers for chapter 6 btw); click me

That's 4 characters that all have wildly different aesthetics. I could see myself liking some of those designs (excluding flaming tits) but mashed together it creates a disconnect in my brain.

Internet Kraken fucked around with this message at 22:16 on Dec 4, 2017

FauxLeather
Nov 7, 2016

Um Bongo
I feel you and I agree about visual consistency, I haven't played the game and her design is pretty much all I've seen anyone talk about. I kind of got the impression it was the outlier with this noise ratio.

tap my mountain
Jan 1, 2009

Saint Freak posted:

Oh so its that vita game that advertises WEAPONIZED LESBIANS and they turn into weapons.

It's more like Fi, where they are both the weapon and a separate entity, except with more tiddies

The Moon Monster
Dec 30, 2005

nachos posted:

Bro customization inspires gameplay. I find myself wanting to run raids for more of a shader.

I just eneded up never using more than a handful because I'd only have an hour or two to enjoy them before upgrading the piece of gear they were on :shrug:

al-azad
May 28, 2009

Mega Man Powered Up was my favorite aesthetic (and the last MM game I played tbh) so MM11 has me pretty excited.

FirstAidKite
Nov 8, 2009
How does the blade creation system in xenoblade 2 work? Is it completely random or is it something where you can control what you get out of it?

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

FirstAidKite posted:

How does the blade creation system in xenoblade 2 work? Is it completely random or is it something where you can control what you get out of it?

The extra blades are almost completely random.

You get some set blades as quest rewards and all the party members have their own unique blade they start with but other than that it’s random.

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

FauxLeather posted:

I feel you and I agree about visual consistency, I haven't played the game and her design is pretty much all I've seen anyone talk about. I kind of got the impression it was the outlier with this noise ratio.

I cant tell you because i keep rolling randoms Tier 1 trash blades that I never want to use because they put a 100% gacha mechanic in as the way you get new weapons. if you just play the story though theres story ones that have actual narratives, side quests and are actually useful though so you can coast on random weirdos in the interim.

FirstAidKite
Nov 8, 2009

Andrast posted:

The extra blades are almost completely random.

You get some set blades as quest rewards and all the party members have their own unique blade they start with but other than that it’s random.

Oh...so it's like a gachapon thing then...

Great

Taintrunner
Apr 10, 2017

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Saint Freak posted:

now THIS is why I bought a Vita

FirstAidKite
Nov 8, 2009
Goddamn I forgot valkyrie drive exists. What a gross thing.

It's like the various devs of those kinds of games are trying to one-up each other or something

Propaganda Hour
Aug 25, 2008

after editing wikipedia as a joke for 16 years, i ve convinced myself that homer simpson's japanese name translates to the "The beer goblin"

FirstAidKite posted:

It's a goshapon with different quality of drops. Like you get common cores with a 1%* of ending up as a rare Blade, or uncommon cores, or rare cores with a 70%* chance of ending up as a rare.

Or you could just use the starter cores for each character and largely ignore the system because whatever.

*Made up numbers, I have no idea what the actual %s are.

tap my mountain
Jan 1, 2009

I don't have a big problem with the gacha system besides the minute long cutscene every time you pull one

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

tap my mountain posted:

I don't have a big problem with the gacha system besides the minute long cutscene every time you pull one

You can skip it

Saint Freak
Apr 16, 2007

Buglord

tap my mountain posted:

2% of the battery life each pull? Yikes.

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

Andrast posted:

You can skip it

You can only skip like half of it

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FirstAidKite
Nov 8, 2009

Propaganda Hour posted:

It's a goshapon with different quality of drops. Like you get common cores with a 1%* of ending up as a rare Blade, or uncommon cores, or rare cores with a 70%* chance of ending up as a rare.

Or you could just use the starter cores for each character and largely ignore the system because whatever.

*Made up numbers, I have no idea what the actual %s are.

Is there something in place to keep people from just savescumming, because I feel like that system could be pretty easily (albeit tediously) gamed.

• Locked thread