Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

R-Type
Oct 10, 2005

by FactsAreUseless

Platystemon posted:

Make a Fire Hedgehog but with 20 mm cannons:

That would end a protest, quick

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bewbies
Sep 23, 2003

Fun Shoe

aphid_licker posted:

Did they manage to make copies of the engines or was performance reduced? I understand that aircraft engines were just as bleeding edge metallurgically etc. for the time back then as they are today.

The Tu-4's engines actually weren't reverse engineered things, they were developed independently (though I think they did copy the boost system). The Russians were pretty good at building giant radials.

The metallurgy thing was a much bigger deal for the airframe; the Russians didn't have some of the cutting edge stuff Boeing had access to, but they were damned if they weren't going to copy that thing rivet for rivet, so instead of modifying the design they just lowered the strength requirements, because Russia.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug

bewbies posted:

The Tu-4's engines actually weren't reverse engineered things, they were developed independently (though I think they did copy the boost system). The Russians were pretty good at building giant radials.

The metallurgy thing was a much bigger deal for the airframe; the Russians didn't have some of the cutting edge stuff Boeing had access to, but they were damned if they weren't going to copy that thing rivet for rivet, so instead of modifying the design they just lowered the strength requirements, because Russia.

Even better: In the 1980s, Russian's visited a Lockheed plant and applied a sticky substance to their shoes in order to collect metal shavings on the floor to get metallurgy from.

Ola
Jul 19, 2004

CommieGIR posted:

Even better: In the 1980s, Russian's visited a Lockheed plant and applied a sticky substance to their shoes in order to collect metal shavings on the floor to get metallurgy from.

What an opportunity for glorious subversion if Lockheed were informed in advance and could sprinkle seemingly good, but ultimately fragile alloys.

Terrible Robot
Jul 2, 2010

FRIED CHICKEN
Slippery Tilde

e.pilot posted:

The B-29 wing is still flying today as part of the super guppy.

I learned something today. That's pretty neat.

Nebakenezzer
Sep 13, 2005

The Mote in God's Eye

CommieGIR posted:

I thought this was the 1950s and with Britain?

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug

Nebakenezzer posted:

I thought this was the 1950s and with Britain?

It might have been.

EDIT: The British GAVE the Soviets 20 jet engines that they reverse engineered.

quote:

The major problems inside MI5 concern its relationship with the former Prime Minister Harold Wilson. As the Minister responsible for trade in the Attlee Government, he attempted to increase exports to the USSR. He constantly ran up against United States Government opposition towards any growth in such trade. Wilson felt that the United States used the hysteria of the cold war to prevent Britain from increasing its trade with the USSR. His was not a position that was likely to be viewed with favour in MI5. In fact, there was near hysteria in MI5 when he was sent to the USSR to negotiate the sale of 20 advanced jet engines. Wilson was only a junior Minister carrying out a Cabinet decision, but from that point on he was viewed with suspicion by MI5 officers.

bewbies
Sep 23, 2003

Fun Shoe
The Attlee government wanted to be friendly with the Soviets and decided the best way to do this was to sell them what was at that time the world's best jet engine; during the negotiations some Russians visited the RR plant and did the "metal shavings in shoe" trick.

They PROMISED not to ever use them for military applications but you can probably imagine what was powering the MiG-15s that the UN had to fight over Korea

tactlessbastard
Feb 4, 2001

Godspeed, post
Fun Shoe

bewbies posted:

but you can probably imagine what was powering the MiG-15s that the UN had to fight over Korea

Metal shavings? :haw:

PhotoKirk
Jul 2, 2007

insert witty text here

tactlessbastard posted:

Metal shavings? :haw:

After a few flights, yes.

Dr_Strangelove
Dec 16, 2003

Mein Fuhrer! THEY WON!

R-Type posted:

That would end a protest, quick

:raise:

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

RandomPauI posted:

I never thought I'd ever get to touch something that went into outer space.

My geologist Grandpa let me play with a meteorite when I was a kid

meltie
Nov 9, 2003

Not a sodding fridge.

Sagebrush posted:

My geologist Grandpa let me play with a meteorite when I was a kid

I've held (lucite-coated) Apollo moon samples :D

e: and a vial of Norwegian heavy water retrieved from the sunken M/F Hydro (speaking of cool things)

meltie fucked around with this message at 23:28 on Dec 4, 2017

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

"Stand back, Ottawan ruffian, or face my lumens!"
I touched the moon rock at the Cradle of Aviation Museum on Long Island. I was like five, and the sign said "Don't Touch" but I did it anyway. :3:

...their own damned fault for making it so it was easy enough for me to do so. :colbert:

e.pilot
Nov 20, 2011

sometimes maybe good
sometimes maybe shit
The Kennedy Space Center has a small piece of moon rock you can touch. It’s probably more germs than moon rock at this point but I still touched it. :c00lbert:

Finger Prince
Jan 5, 2007

Johnson space center in Houston has a moon rock you and all the other grody tourists can touch. Which I did, because it's loving cool. Also they have tons of moon rock and dust samples there you can look at through magnifiers, as well as descriptions of how they're different from earth rocks. Also redneck dads loudly proclaiming their ignorance with statements like "it's just a rock, who cares."

Rudest Buddhist
May 26, 2005

You only lose what you cling to, bitch.
Fun Shoe
I'm patiently shopping around for Grumman AA1's as I finish up my Instrument Ticket and I came across this blog with some AA1A posts from the nineties

Here's a sweet post about some "Mondo lift" over the Sierra Nevada's

Steve Williams posted:

Last week I flew the orange airplane from Hayward, in the San Francisco area, down to the Los Angeles area to visit relatives. Both during the trip down and the trip back included surprising events affecting the performance of the 26-year-old two-seater.

The trip down to L.A. is quite a pain in the Trainer, because several ranges of mountains are in the way -- the largest at the end of the trip just north of L.A. The return trip is even more inconvenient. At least on the way down I have plenty of time to cruise as low as 3,000 feet, burning off fuel, before climbing over one of the passes. But on the way back I must climb immediately after departure in order to fly anywhere near directly from EMT to HWD. It is possible to first fly west to Santa Barbara and complete the whole trip home at no more than 3-4,000 feet, but it's slightly out of the way.

With just me aboard and full fuel, the orange airplane cruise-climbs fairly well below about 4,000 feet at perhaps 105 mph. From 4,000 to about 8,000 I must slow to 90 mph or less, and depending on the air I sometimes can't maintain 500 fpm. Above 8,000 I'm step climbing -- I'll level and accelerate and then gradually pull the nose up, maintaining 2-300 fpm to perhaps 80 mph, and then try to accelerate again without losing altitude. Like I said, a pain. (Remember that this is the original 108-hp engine.)

Departing last Wednesday, the winds aloft were forecast out of the north from 20 knots at 3,000 feet to over 40 knots at 9,000 feet. They seemed stronger than forecast down low. Climbing to 5,500 southeast through the Santa Clara valley, I was indicating about 100 mph, but the ground speed was often 140 knots. Pretty nice. I leveled at 5,500 and dodged the head-on Southwest jets inbound to SJC. Southwest chose such a nice color for their airplanes!

Apparently pilots and controllers were concerned about turbulence, because they kept chatting about flight conditions. My weather briefing didn't concern me -- just the usual warnings of occasional turbulence below the moon. The ride was smooth, although I was flying through patches of lift and sink.

The first surprise came at Priest VOR (ROM), 115 nm southeast of San Jose. Priest lies at 3,880 MSL, on a peak of the mountains west of California's central valley. (Those who know the orange airplane are wondering how I knew I was at Priest. Simple: I looked out the window!) I flew into another bit of lift, and trimmed the nose down a bit to maintain altitude, taking advantage of the momentary boost to gain speed. The throttle was fully open, and the RPM right around the red line. The plane continued to climb, now at 1,000 fpm. I pitched down more, and was forced to close the throttle a bit as the engine wound up. Finally, I realized that this wasn't just another little area of mild lift, but a major elevator ride, and I might as well take full advantage. "31 Lima's climbing." "Last called Oakland center, say again?" "31 Lima, we're in, um, some mondo lift here, and we're going to ride it on up." "31 Lima, roger, no traffic." I never can figure out who this Roger guy is.

I pitched up to about 2,800 RPM and gradually opened the throttle. At one point the VSI was pegged at over 2,000 fpm, but it didn't last long. I didn't look at the clock, but I believe I leveled at 7,500 after less than a minute. If the high mountains were closer, I'd have circled in the lift, as some of you have seen me do to escape the Sierra. But in this case I continued, and soon was out of the lift and into sink, pitched up to 90 mph just to hold 7,500 feet. Later, I step climbed normally to 9,500. At one point the controller advised another aircraft of the lift over Priest. As it was rather an unusual advisory, the pilot asked for clarification. Finally, the controller said, "Well, actually, it was reported as 'mondo lift.'" (Sorry, I had keyed the mic and just couldn't think of any other words at that moment.) The pilot understood. Another pilot apparently didn't. "Oakland center, where's that turbulence reported?" The controller tried to explain. Then I called back. "Oakland center, 31L, be advised the ride was smooth the whole time. It was just an area of very strong lift." That seemed to calm down the other pilots.

I flew over the mountains between New Cuyama and Santa Paula, north of Santa Barbara, and turned east toward the destination. There were a few bumps in the mountains, but nothing serious. The ground speed had stayed up over 140 knots for much of the trip. I began a 200 fpm descent just past Burbank. I've grown fond of these long, slow descents. It seems that in the two-seater one has the choice of descending normally at 500 fpm for only a few minutes, which requires pulling back the throttle to keep the propeller blades from flying off, or of descending over many miles at 200 fpm, with the engine at a more reasonable RPM. The slow descent is plenty to really get the engine spinning, even at high altitude, and to get the airspeed up to the bottom of the yellow arc around 140 mph. Between Burbank and El Monte I still had part of the tailwind, and so indicated some impressive ground speeds. The ride got progressively rougher as I descended near the mountain faces.

I usually arrive at the airport traffic area really high and fast, because there's never any problem slowing the two-seater for the arrival. Reduce power even 500 RPM, and one can slow to the white arc within seconds. Those stubby wings are great for sporty handling, but they aren't terribly efficient at generating lift. El Monte asked me to report a right base over the Santa Anita racetrack perhaps five miles northwest of the airport. I arrived there still turning red line RPM, 1,500 feet above the pattern and descending now at 1,000 fpm. I realize this isn't how your instructor taught you to politely enter the pattern, so I always make sure I'm aware of ALL of the airplanes in the pattern, and I am always prepared to get out of their way if my unusual arrival would be inconvenient for others, especially students and instructors. Many times I've had to climb above the ATA or turn away and reenter the pattern at a more sedate speed, but usually it works out. (And, no, I don't believe in shock cooling.)

I landed at El Monte, after 301 nm in 2:24, 125 knots block to block.

After a nice visit with relatives, I departed El Monte on Saturday. I couldn't raise SoCal approach, so I was forced to fly north of Burbank, again quite near the mountains. The ride wasn't bad, and after finally establishing radio contact I climbed into the Class C over San Fernando. I was at 4,500 feet over the 3,750-foot mountains west of San Fernando when it happened again. The ride stayed smooth, but the VSI started spinning. I rolled the trim wheel forward and reduced throttle. "SoCal approach, 31 Lima's climbing." "31 Lima, uh, um, say your type again?" "31 Lima, Alpha-Alpha-One." (The ATC book doesn't have AA1A.) "Okay, I see your ground speed at 135 in a climb, and I thought that's the best-performing Yankee I've ever seen." "Yeah, I wish it'd last all the way to Hayward." Another pilot chimed in: "I gotta get me one of those." The VSI was pegged, and I leveled at 6,500 after perhaps 30 seconds.

I continued westbound past Santa Barbara, and turned northwest into a mild headwind to follow the freeway to San Luis Obispo. I knew I couldn't make Hayward in a headwind without getting fuel. I didn't like the fuel situation at Santa Maria or Paso Robles when I stopped at those cities on previous trips, so SBP seemed a good place. Also, I missed last year's AYA fly-in to SBP, and this year's was rained out, so I wanted the chance to see why everybody says it's a great place to fly into.

Having cleared the high mountains, I reasoned that I might as well descend right away into lighter headwinds. I began a 200 fpm descent, winding it up to the top of the green arc. The descent lasted all the way to SBP, and I didn't pull the power until short final. SBP really is as nice as they say. Quick fuel, and a nice restaurant. From the pattern, you can see mountains, ocean, and strange, abrupt peaks within a few miles of the runways. I climbed up the freeway past the California Condor nesting sanctuary on the right and the 3,000-foot towers on the left, and leveled at 2,900 for the rest of the route home. After Paso Robles, the direct route took me away from the freeway over a striking expanse of washboard hills. Ranches dot the hills, and the grass for grazing is broken only occasionally by trees. But as the sun descended, the terrain relief became more pronounced, and I was not at all convinced a forced landing would be terribly easy, especially considering the long walk or the long, cold night that would follow. I could have climbed, but as it was I would be arriving in the Bay Area after the sun set, and the rapidly cooling air often becomes hard to see through.

I flew east of Pinnacles National Monument in the dusk, and was relieved to be able to again follow roads into Hollister at the south end of my home valley. Bay approach was cooperative for a change, and I again waved to the Southwest passengers in their little windows as they flew by in their big orange airplanes. The mountains east of San Jose disappeared into the haze and dark before long, and I descended by reference to the red lights on the tall towers and the headlights on the freeways. Hayward and San Jose ATIS called the visibility five miles. Finally, about seven miles out, the HWD PAPI appeared, and I followed the four bright red lights to land after about 3:00 in the air (not counting the stop), about 100 knots over the route.

It was a beautiful trip. I didn't manage Tiger speeds, but somehow that doesn't bother me. I'm amazed at how often lift plays a role in an airplane with so little resemblance to a glider. And there's a real feeling of accomplishment to completing a trip over mountains and broad areas of desolate terrain in the most basic aircraft.

Luneshot
Mar 10, 2014

The good part about working in an astronomy department is that we have a box of meteorites for public outreach. We've got two iron-nickel meteorites that must weigh at least 10-15 pounds each, plus cool poo poo like a pallasite.

No Martian or lunar meteorites, though, unfortunately.

Plastic_Gargoyle
Aug 3, 2007

bewbies posted:

The Attlee government wanted to be friendly with the Soviets and decided the best way to do this was to sell them what was at that time the world's best jet engine; during the negotiations some Russians visited the RR plant and did the "metal shavings in shoe" trick.

They PROMISED not to ever use them for military applications but you can probably imagine what was powering the MiG-15s that the UN had to fight over Korea

I have an entire post to make about this at some point, I've been up to my neck in research on early Soviet jet development for several years now.

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

Finger Prince posted:

Johnson space center in Houston has a moon rock you and all the other grody tourists can touch. Which I did, because it's loving cool. Also they have tons of moon rock and dust samples there you can look at through magnifiers, as well as descriptions of how they're different from earth rocks. Also redneck dads loudly proclaiming their ignorance with statements like "it's just a rock, who cares."

I have a friend who worked at a zoo and she said one of the best parts of her job was correcting Expert On Everything-type idiots who were spouting off whatever they thought they knew about the different animals.

Really incredibly dumb stuff, too. Like "a turkey is just a grown-up chicken" level of pulled-from-rear end.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

Sagebrush posted:

I have a friend who worked at a zoo and she said one of the best parts of her job was correcting Expert On Everything-type idiots who were spouting off whatever they thought they knew about the different animals.

Really incredibly dumb stuff, too. Like "a turkey is just a grown-up chicken" level of pulled-from-rear end.

Cunningham’s Law

The best way to get a zoo employee to tell you some animal facts is to vocalise alternative facts.

xthetenth
Dec 30, 2012

Mario wasn't sure if this Jeb guy was a good influence on Yoshi.

http://www.hphmodels.cz/hph/b-36-peacemaker/?lang=en

So there's a new fibreglass/resin B-36 kit being made.

A new 1/48 scale kit.

mlmp08
Jul 11, 2004

Prepare for my priapic projectile's exalted penetration
Nap Ghost

Sagebrush posted:

If you'd like a gritted-teeth lesson on how various Native Americans made rock art, just amble up to a 1,500 year-old piece and make a dumbass remark about Indian graffiti.

Comrade Gorbash
Jul 12, 2011

My paper soldiers form a wall, five paces thick and twice as tall.

Finger Prince posted:

How many of those redneck dads have jars of dirt from ACW battlefields or baseball stadiums on a rack in the basement I wonder.

Finger Prince
Jan 5, 2007

Comrade Gorbash posted:

How many of those redneck dads have jars of dirt from ACW battlefields or baseball stadiums on a rack in the basement I wonder.

It's like, the whole place is a monument to American exceptionalism, and full of patriotic hoo-hah, so I get why these guys would go (aside from possibly their genuinely curious and inquisitive children begging them). But then to poo-pooh the whole thing as "what a waste of effort, we got plenty of rocks here"... Like, which is it? America is amazing and awesome and they went to space and the moon in giant rockets and brought back pieces that you can actually touch, or you ehh it's not really that impressive and who really cares anyway, I could have done that if I'd tried but why bother?
Maybe it's just they go there out of some sense that it's supposed to be awesome, and then are confronted with the fact that it's actually science which is awesome, which clashes with their world view, so they get all defensive.

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

Finger Prince posted:

It's like, the whole place is a monument to American exceptionalism, and full of patriotic hoo-hah, so I get why these guys would go (aside from possibly their genuinely curious and inquisitive children begging them). But then to poo-pooh the whole thing as "what a waste of effort, we got plenty of rocks here"... Like, which is it? America is amazing and awesome and they went to space and the moon in giant rockets and brought back pieces that you can actually touch, or you ehh it's not really that impressive and who really cares anyway, I could have done that if I'd tried but why bother?
Maybe it's just they go there out of some sense that it's supposed to be awesome, and then are confronted with the fact that it's actually science which is awesome, which clashes with their world view, so they get all defensive.

Around the time that the Curiosity rover landed on Mars, which was also not long after the recession, there were tons of posts on Facebook from people complaining about the waste of money. "We have enough problems at home! That money should be spent HERE ON EARTH! Give it to people who'll get us JOBS!!"

(That was coincidentally about the last time I used Facebook.)

So from that bit of data, I can conclude that a large number of Americans believe that NASA has no employees, benefits no one here on Earth, and every time we launch a rocket it's filled to the brim with bundles of cash to be shot into space.

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

Does a bear split in the woods near Zheleznogorsk?

xthetenth posted:

A new 1/48 scale kit.

That's...almost a 5 ft wingspan. :stare:

hiddenmovement
Sep 29, 2011

"Most mornings I'll apologise in advance to my wife."
Hey guys I want to get hold of some accurate information about the Bristol Bombay, it's a WW2 era transport. Generally I want to know if it was a crap aircraft or not, but more specifically top speed, service ceiling, range, glaring mechanical issues, etc.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bristol_Bombay

Is wikipedia accurate? Should I trust it on this one?

hiddenmovement fucked around with this message at 09:27 on Dec 5, 2017

Nebakenezzer
Sep 13, 2005

The Mote in God's Eye

hiddenmovement posted:

Hey guys I want to get hold of some accurate information about the Bristol Bombay, it's a WW2 era transport. Generally I want to know if it was a crap aircraft or not, but more specifically top speed, service ceiling, range, glaring mechanical issues, etc.

It doesn't look bad to me, for whatever that's worth. What's your project?

joat mon
Oct 15, 2009

I am the master of my lamp;
I am the captain of my tub.

hiddenmovement posted:

It was an interwar design meant to be a bomber and a transport, with compromises that hurt both missions. E.g., two hydraulically powered turrets in the nose and tail that were undergunned (each with a single .303) that weighed the plane down when being used for transport. Range was 880 miles unless you installed the supplemental fuel tanks in the fuselage, which meant less bombs/cargo/pax. The wing was complex, the production was relocated and by the time the first ones arrived in 1939 (4 years after their first flight), they were already obsolete. Except for one unit in England that had them for two months in 1940, all saw service in Africa. As bombers they were replaced by the Wellington in 1940, and as transports by mid 1943 by Hudson IIIs and C-47s. Not actively bad, and better than the Valentia biplane that it was intended to replace, just not up to snuff.

Nebakenezzer
Sep 13, 2005

The Mote in God's Eye

Hey guys I found it: the central repository for aviation photos

Ola
Jul 19, 2004

Looks like they're all there.

Psion
Dec 13, 2002

eVeN I KnOw wHaT CoRnEr gAs iS

from the about page:

quote:

I hope you enjoy the CRAP!

excellent.

A Handed Missus
Aug 6, 2012

XXXX-0555_9A02731 by Central Repository for Aviation Photos, on Flickr

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg
:colbert:

xthetenth posted:

A new 1/48 scale kit.

Wowza. And I thought my 1/48 B1B was big.

Finger Prince
Jan 5, 2007

Cheers dude, OP updated. Happy Hanukkah everybody!

Nebakenezzer
Sep 13, 2005

The Mote in God's Eye

Three pictures from the *ahem* CRAP archives:

I noticed that this aircraft is half bare metal, half olive drab. Is this a repair job where somebody needed a new rear end?

un-survivable damage, B-17 edition:

You can't return this B-29 anymore:

e: thar be a brace of Kodachrome Life shots here, Curtiss P-40 factory and what looks like operations in the Aleutian Islands

Nebakenezzer fucked around with this message at 04:14 on Dec 6, 2017

e.pilot
Nov 20, 2011

sometimes maybe good
sometimes maybe shit
Looks like retardant foam all over the engine too, wonder what the story is with that one.

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

Does a bear split in the woods near Zheleznogorsk?

e.pilot posted:

Looks like retardant foam all over the engine too, wonder what the story is with that one.

Hot engine components, probable fuel/oil/hydraulic leaks all over the place, lots of potential for fire.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

e.pilot
Nov 20, 2011

sometimes maybe good
sometimes maybe shit
Well yeah but I meant in a general sense of the whole crash. Looking closer at it, it looks like engine #1 was shut down and feathered before the crash, it’s the only prop undamaged.