Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
bewbies
Sep 23, 2003

Fun Shoe
There hasn't been a pitching prospect that good since Strasburg; if the dude can hit the ball too that's awesome but also not vital

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute
Hmm I wonder what's going on with Stant-

https://twitter.com/jcrasnick/status/937752390970806273

Oh.

Inspector_666
Oct 7, 2003

benny with the good hair
Yankees gonna swoop in and Teixeira this poo poo.

Paul Zuvella
Dec 7, 2011

Inspector_666 posted:

Yankees gonna swoop in and Teixeira this poo poo.

yes please

Dr. Fraiser Chain
May 18, 2004

Redlining my shit posting machine

Someone light up this cold loving stove Jesus Christ

Inspector_666
Oct 7, 2003

benny with the good hair

It would really hamstring their pitching for 2018 but gently caress it, I'm into the idea.

Paul Zuvella
Dec 7, 2011

Inspector_666 posted:

It would really hamstring their pitching for 2018 but gently caress it, I'm into the idea.

Who the hell cares when your 2-4 hitters are mashing 140 taters a year

bawfuls
Oct 28, 2009

Sydin posted:

Hmm I wonder what's going on with Stant-

https://twitter.com/jcrasnick/status/937752390970806273

Oh.
What's going on is Stanton hasn't made a decision yet and everything else is window dressing till that happens.

The Pussy Boss
Nov 2, 2004

STAC Goat posted:

I'll be honest... and given the timing this is going to seem suspiciously like "I never wanted him", which it isn't... but I've always been very skeptical on this "two way" thing. Maybe Ohtani will prove me wrong and be a genuine asset in the lineup and able to manage both but my thought process all along is that he's not going to be this SP/DH hybrid people imagine him to be. Either he's a good enough pitcher that you don't want to risk him hurting himself or doing some damage or wearing himself out hitting or he only DH's 2 or 3 times a week and can never really find a rhythm or get used to major league pitching to be truly effective. I just don't see it working the way major league baseball works.

Yeah. Pitchers are fragile even when they're not hitting on their off days. Whoever signs him might agree to let him do it, hell they might promise he can play both ways. But what happens when he tweaks a hamstring in the outfield and the team is without their ace for a month?

Funny thing, if being a two-way player is the most important thing to Ohtani, a rebuilding team like the Padres might be his best bet. Because they won't have to worry about losing their ace for the pennant race and playoffs.

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

Well, of course I know him.
He's me.
Stanton's just waiting to see where Ohtani goes, like the rest of us

Inspector_666
Oct 7, 2003

benny with the good hair

The Pussy Boss posted:

Funny thing, if being a two-way player is the most important thing to Ohtani, a rebuilding team like the Padres might be his best bet. Because they won't have to worry about losing their ace for the pennant race and playoffs.

They also tried to two-way Bethancourt last year, of their own volition.

bawfuls
Oct 28, 2009

The Pussy Boss posted:

Or a team so deep that losing him from the rotation wouldn't be a major blow. Perhaps a team that goes out of it's way to target high-risk, high-upside pitchers, who's managed to win a lot of games despite having elite pitchers on the DL every year...

Angry Grimace
Jul 29, 2010

ACTUALLY IT IS VERY GOOD THAT THE SHOW IS BAD AND ANYONE WHO DOESN'T REALIZE WHY THAT'S GOOD IS AN IDIOT. JUST ENJOY THE BAD SHOW INSTEAD OF THINKING.

STAC Goat posted:

Yeah, I don't think the LOOGY scenario makes any sense for a starter. Like, it might make sense if you're into the pen and you really want to use a LOOGY but not burn your guy who can give you more than 1 out. Its a fielding gamble but its not some huge thing. But I'm trying to imagine the scenario where you don't trust your starting pitcher to face a guy but you still want him pitching to everyone else. If Ohtani can't pitch to lefties in the 2nd or something his team has a problem and if you're deep in the game and ready to pull Ohtani but want a LOOGY and then to give him one more bat or something you probably have a pen problem.

I'll be honest... and given the timing this is going to seem suspiciously like "I never wanted him", which it isn't... but I've always been very skeptical on this "two way" thing. Maybe Ohtani will prove me wrong and be a genuine asset in the lineup and able to manage both but my thought process all along is that he's not going to be this SP/DH hybrid people imagine him to be. Either he's a good enough pitcher that you don't want to risk him hurting himself or doing some damage or wearing himself out hitting or he only DH's 2 or 3 times a week and can never really find a rhythm or get used to major league pitching to be truly effective. I just don't see it working the way major league baseball works.

But again, don't mistake this for "I never wanted him." I totally wanted him and would be fine experimenting and would be very happy with the pitcher. I'm just a skeptic about the "Babe Ruth" stuff.

Of course he isn't. Even Babe Ruth wasn't hitting and pitching that much at the same time. It's just a dumb thing that he wants to try out that teams are paying lip service to and will let him to do some limited extent. Like I said all along.

McKay and Greene from this year's draft class aren't going to be doing both beyond rookie ball and they lit it up as both pitchers and hitters in college/HS. Same as every other person that can play 2 ways - it's a dumb risk with a low reward because nobody actually is a legit star both ways.

Inspector_666 posted:

They also tried to two-way Bethancourt last year, of their own volition.

Local radio guys are all firmly of the belief it was part of a scheme to entice Ohtani to sign. They also think every single thing in the Padres organization is a deep-as-gently caress conspiracy to sign Ohtani.

Angry Grimace fucked around with this message at 23:43 on Dec 4, 2017

Strasburgs UCL
Jul 28, 2009

Hang in there little buddy
I mean I'm skeptical that Ohtani can hit at the Major League level as well, but its not like he's been playing as a two way player in little league or something. The NPB is probably the highest level baseball league outside MLB, its generally considered something like AAAA level.Aand he hit and pitched there and was dominant at both. He is already is a star both ways and he already is unprecedented. It probably doesn't work out, or even if it does not for more than a couple years, but its not just a dumb gimmick to try him both ways.

Angry Grimace
Jul 29, 2010

ACTUALLY IT IS VERY GOOD THAT THE SHOW IS BAD AND ANYONE WHO DOESN'T REALIZE WHY THAT'S GOOD IS AN IDIOT. JUST ENJOY THE BAD SHOW INSTEAD OF THINKING.

JoeCL posted:

I mean I'm skeptical that Ohtani can hit at the Major League level as well, but its not like he's been playing as a two way player in little league or something. The NPB is probably the highest level baseball league outside MLB, its generally considered something like AAAA level.Aand he hit and pitched there and was dominant at both. He is already is a star both ways and he already is unprecedented. It probably doesn't work out, or even if it does not for more than a couple years, but its not just a dumb gimmick to try him both ways.

The inability to perhaps do it isn't the primary reason teams don't ask two way prospects like McKay or Hunter Greene to actually play that way. It's because it's a dumb unnecessary injury risk.

I would find out whatever he's better at and not let him do anything else. It doesn't mean I wouldn't give him the opportunity to find out what he can succeed at.

Angry Grimace fucked around with this message at 00:22 on Dec 5, 2017

Ammat The Ankh
Sep 7, 2010

Now, attempt to defeat me!
And I shall become a living legend!

Angry Grimace posted:

The inability to perhaps do it isn't the primary reason teams don't ask two way prospects like McKay or Hunter Greene to actually play that way. It's because it's a dumb unnecessary injury risk.

When you think about it, isn’t playing baseball a dumb unnecessary injury risk?

Angry Grimace
Jul 29, 2010

Ammat The Ankh posted:

When you think about it, isn’t playing baseball a dumb unnecessary injury risk?

You'd be insane or at least not a very good baseball mind to say "hmmm yes let's let our ace pitcher run the bases every day."

He would have to literally be hitting like 300+ with like 30HR to justify that assuming he's actually an ace. If he's hitting that and not an ace, have him stop pitching.

bawfuls
Oct 28, 2009

Angry Grimace posted:

I would find out whatever he's better at and not let him do anything else. It doesn't mean I wouldn't give him the opportunity to find out what he can succeed at.
hrmmmm, but have you considered it's loving cool as hell?

also it is possible his MLB ceiling is legit 30 HR power and a sub-3.00 ERA

Angry Grimace
Jul 29, 2010

bawfuls posted:

I mean I guess it is possible that he is literally the best player in the history of baseball, sure.

Angry Grimace fucked around with this message at 00:33 on Dec 5, 2017

Strasburgs UCL
Jul 28, 2009

I mean he literally has already done the thing you are saying is impossible at one of the highest levels of baseball. I am not saying he will work out, I am simply saying given his track record it makes sense to try.

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute
https://twitter.com/jonmorosi/status/937721738250637312

Ahahaha Jeter is loving delusional.

Popete
Oct 6, 2009

This will make sure you don't suggest to the KDz
That he should grow greens instead of crushing on MCs

Grimey Drawer
How does Stanton feel about getting Wacha & Martinez though?

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

Gross

Angry Grimace
Jul 29, 2010

They’ll be lucky to get Wade Boggs and a side of rice pilaf.

ROCK THE HOUSE M.D.
Oct 9, 2003

I've got a case of malt liquor stashed in the trunk, Mr. Marvin Gaye on the CD. We are gonna get all the way down.

Angry Grimace posted:

They’ll be lucky to get Wade Boggs and a side of rice pilaf.

Rest in peace, Wade.

Mike_V
Jul 31, 2004

3/18/2023: Day of the Dorks
Jose Martinez is a cool story but if he and Michael Wacha + Alcantara are good enough for Stanton, that's fine with me.

Angry Grimace
Jul 29, 2010

Well I mean in fairness, why would you give up anything for Stanton when Stanton has all of the leverage in the deal and doesn't give a gently caress what prospects the Marlins get? The object is moving his salary. That you might acquire the contracts of players who are presumably alive and still playing baseball is basically just a reach-around.

Angry Grimace fucked around with this message at 01:28 on Dec 5, 2017

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute
Yep at the end of the day Stanton holds all the leverage. If he's willing to go to St. Louis, it doesn't really matter what they're offering. Likewise if he'd rather go to SF, the Cardinals could be offering their entire farm and it wouldn't matter. It would be one thing if the Marlins were willing to hold on to him and could angle for a better offer from teams Stanton was willing to go to, but they've already tipped their hand that first and foremost they need to dump his salary.

Craptacular!
Jul 9, 2001

Fuck the DH
https://twitter.com/CraigMish/status/937822452322848768

Yeah. Okay. I'm good with that. Keep the middle infielders off dirt-bikes, though.

Niwrad
Jul 1, 2008

bawfuls posted:

I don't think it's possible to pitch that well as a starter and also play everyday in the field. Throwing 100 pitches is tiring on the body. You don't just go out the next few days and play LF. If a team did it, his pitching would eventually be hurt by it.

I think the idea of combo players like that is really cool and think it has potential to be useful for teams in the season. But I think the only realistic scenarios are for a bench guy who can also throw some mop-up innings in relief when a team is down 7-1 in the 8th. Or for a middle reliever who is good enough that they pinch hit on a regular basis.

Carlosologist
Oct 13, 2013

Revelry in the Dark

Ohtani and Stanton would be good gets for SF, it’s too bad about the rest of the team

Angry Grimace
Jul 29, 2010

Niwrad posted:

I don't think it's possible to pitch that well as a starter and also play everyday in the field. Throwing 100 pitches is tiring on the body. You don't just go out the next few days and play LF. If a team did it, his pitching would eventually be hurt by it.

I think the idea of combo players like that is really cool and think it has potential to be useful for teams in the season. But I think the only realistic scenarios are for a bench guy who can also throw some mop-up innings in relief when a team is down 7-1 in the 8th. Or for a middle reliever who is good enough that they pinch hit on a regular basis.

I think getting pinch hitting opportunities is far more realistic than being given the nod to play DH.

Like, arguing that he could hit 30 HR and pitch sub-3.00 ERA is ridiculous. Babe Ruth wasn't pitching at an elite level and hitting historic numbers of home runs at the same exact time and even to the extent he was a good pitcher, he was playing on teams with a team ERA of 2.20.

Angry Grimace fucked around with this message at 01:45 on Dec 5, 2017

ImplicitAssembler
Jan 24, 2013

I still remember when Ichiro joined and hit over .300.
"Oh he wont do that next year, once the pitchers/scouting figure him out".
Only took them some 12 years to get him below .300.

ImplicitAssembler
Jan 24, 2013

Oh and Aaron Boone is the new NYY Manager..

Strasburgs UCL
Jul 28, 2009

Niwrad posted:

I don't think anybody is arguing that he could go out and play the field the day after a start. He probably can't play the field at all, he tried his first season in the NPB and gave up on it already. All of the ideas I've heard about him playing the field basically sound insane by the already insane standards of a two way player. What he did in Japan was take the day off before and after his starts and DH the other days. I think its possible that he could do that in the MLB, although it is a longshot. Other than the higher level of talent the biggest obstacle to him being able to do this in MLB is probably the fact that in Japan they usually get 6 days of rest not 5.

Good Dog
Oct 16, 2008

Who threw this cat at me?
Clapping Larry
Its tricky because of the teams left, half are the NL that don't have the DH as an option so he'd be pinch hitting or playing the field if he is hitting at all. Of the AL teams still talking to him, you've got the Ms, Angels and Rangers. Ms would be willing to move Cruz around to the field on days when Ohtani can DH. Rangers rotated the DH position with Napoli, Beltre and Choo. Angels have an unmovable DH in Pujols so I don't know what they'd do there.

Pancakes
May 21, 2001

Crypto-Rump Roast

Good Dog posted:

Angels have an unmovable DH in Pujols so I don't know what they'd do there.

He can move, just really, really slowly. :flashfact:

Intruder
Mar 5, 2003

Comedy play Pujols at 1B option

Pancakes
May 21, 2001

Crypto-Rump Roast

Intruder posted:

Comedy play Pujols at 1B option

There was a time when he was considered one of the best defensive 1B ever. :sigh:

The ravages of time are a motherfucker.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Good Dog
Oct 16, 2008

Who threw this cat at me?
Clapping Larry
Ohtani would be a better 1B.

• Locked thread