Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

I really dug the reveal that they had already "arrived" at their destination and were just waiting for Launchpad to dig them out :allears:

Also Scrooge's Santa line was top notch.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013
The sad part is I can easy see Scrooge beating the poo poo out of Santa Claus.

Psychedelicatessen
Feb 17, 2012

nine-gear crow posted:

The sad part is I can easy see Scrooge beating the poo poo out of Santa Claus.

Scrooge would never beat anyone who wasn't trying to scam him with their free poo poo

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
Lena's a bit of a mystery so far, I kinda get the impression she might actually be someone who grew up in relative comfort and her depreciated circumstances are relatively recent. Didn't she mention she's been to Paris?

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

Do we even know what her circumstances are beyond being an unsupervised minor at the beach?

counterfeitsaint
Feb 26, 2010

I'm a girl, and you're
gnomes, and it's like
what? Yikes.

X_Toad posted:

But of course, I can't deny that having stories in which Scrooge deals with real-life tycoons problems would be fascinating. How did he treat with unions, does he see his employees as the first adjustment variables like so many modern CEOs do, would he lobby for always lower taxes on his businesses, etc.

This is a joke right? Or is this how you envision a good children's cartoon to be?

Not sure what I'm looking forward to more, the Pinkerton episode or the episode where Scrooge lobbies the Trump Administration for tax breaks.

Funky Valentine
Feb 26, 2014

Dojyaa~an

Scrooge fondly looks back to his early days as a businessman, when he had the Harding administration in his back pocket.

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

Has Not Actually Done Cocaine

Wheat Loaf posted:

I've always enjoyed Scrooge's stinginess.

On the opposite side I've always found it his least entertaining aspect, as most writers take it way too drat far(I've mentioned before my distaste of the old gag they use in the comics about how poorly Scrooge pays Donald, which thankfully the new show has avoided), not saying he has to suddenly be wantonly wasteful with his money, just that if he's going to be cheap about something there should be a good reason for it

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

I do remember one episode of the original Duck Tales had Scrooge coat the money bin in some unbreakable plastic which meant his money was finally, legitimately untouchable. He finds that not having to live in constant terror of robbery leaves him with time on his hands so he takes the kids on holiday. They're all shocked when he tells them to get some drinks and when they assume he means ONE drink with several straws he corrects them to get a drink each. He explains that now he no longer has to worry about his money, he finds he doesn't mind spending it so much.

Of course it turns out the unbreakable substance has a tiny, minor flaw that can render it useless so everything reverts back to the way it was by the end.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

A few comics have mentioned that Scrooge pays so much taxes that the government and military is at his beck and call to defend his money bin and fortune, since so much of their funding comes out of it. These days (or perhaps in any day) it'd be notable for a rich guy that he actually pays his taxes, and he strikes me as the type to make a point of it. (Maybe not quite Sam Vimes style, but still)

They have been playing a bit with Donald and Scrooge's personality clashes, and that Donald is less willing to put up with Scrooge's poo poo than anyone else. Might be because media these days is a lot more aware of how people live in precarious life and financial situations and kids no longer take the nuclear family for granted; an uncle raising the kids while the parents aren't involved was a contrivance in the old comics for multiple reasons but now it hits closer to home. Donald isn't just a luckless loser who can't keep a job and ends up with kids foisted on him who he becomes an occasionally abusive/exploitative caretaker of but a single parent struggling to make ends meet and worrying about kids he can barely find the time to take care of.

Of course, it's clear that Scrooge does put up a lot from his employees as long as they're able to do their job; Beakley will actively backtalk him and refuse to work outside her job description, but it's clear that he trusts her completely when it comes to managing his household, and for good reason. And heck, he lets her raise her granddaughter in his home. Of course, given hints that her skillset is even broader than it seems, she probably earns it. Quackfaster seems to have gone pretty loopy from spending too long in the archives alone, but I imagine he approves of her zeal in protecting his precious private archives. And even the vultures he's bored stiff by and frequently arguing with he says he trusts completely when it comes to financial matters, and pointing out seemingly wasteful spending is literally their job.

It's probably a deliberate move to make him a better boss given how the alternative, including some of his old depictions, has aged extremely poorly. And he's contrasted with Glomgold, who aside from his regular supervillainy encourages dishonesty and plagiarism among his employees, and Mark Beaks, who makes a big show about having a fun and whimsical corporate environment but the actual workplace is cutthroat, exploitative and run on whims rather than judgement. Scrooge's company is set up to facilitate his adventuring as well as make money, while Glomgold and Beaks have to steal and lie to keep pace. (and Gladstone is hated by both Donald and Scrooge because he already has/gets everything he needs and as a result makes little effort to do anything)

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

drrockso20 posted:

On the opposite side I've always found it his least entertaining aspect, as most writers take it way too drat far(I've mentioned before my distaste of the old gag they use in the comics about how poorly Scrooge pays Donald, which thankfully the new show has avoided), not saying he has to suddenly be wantonly wasteful with his money, just that if he's going to be cheap about something there should be a good reason for it

Fair enough. I always thought Scrooge's meanness and miserliness was so over-the-top it looped round and became funny.

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

Inescapable Duck posted:

They have been playing a bit with Donald and Scrooge's personality clashes, and that Donald is less willing to put up with Scrooge's poo poo than anyone else. Might be because media these days is a lot more aware of how people live in precarious life and financial situations and kids no longer take the nuclear family for granted; an uncle raising the kids while the parents aren't involved was a contrivance in the old comics for multiple reasons but now it hits closer to home. Donald isn't just a luckless loser who can't keep a job and ends up with kids foisted on him who he becomes an occasionally abusive/exploitative caretaker of but a single parent struggling to make ends meet and worrying about kids he can barely find the time to take care of.

Plus add into that the layer of resentment bubbling away under the surface in the new series because Donald functionally believes (rightly or wrongly) that Scrooge and his insane adventures basically got his sister killed, or at the very least landed her in a position where she's been unable or unwilling to contact him or her kids for the last 10 years--all of whom he has to take care of now by himself.

Psychedelicatessen
Feb 17, 2012

Wheat Loaf posted:

Fair enough. I always thought Scrooge's meanness and miserliness was so over-the-top it looped round and became funny.

It's not funny when he's paying Donald 30 cents/hr or tricks him out of his payment.
It's funny when he's reusing a tea bag for the 11th time and using trapdoor chutes on salesmen.

The italian comics usually are pretty good at striking a balance between the cheap and kind Scrooge. Except when they're about unaerodynamic spaceships going to to the moon to mine moon dust for tomato farming or whatever crazy stories they come up with.

Shnag
Dec 8, 2010

"I'll be whatever I wanna do!"
I like how Scrooges spending seems inconsistent, but makes sense in his head. Telling his Dewy(?) to write small and to use both sides of the note book sounds cheap, but makes sense to him, writing small gets more use out of the notebook, not like writing big will have any advantage, and both sides of the note book are good for notes, why waste them? The money bin? Well, if you want to swim in your money, you need the giant bin, and if you are swimming in your money you want it looking its best so you need them shiny, and if you want them shiny buy the polish in bulk, from a source you trust. As why cheap out on inferior quality that might tarnish your coins, who would want to swim in tarnished coins?

I also like how Scrooge had that line about cracking your head in the money pit if you dive into it with out knowing what you are doing.

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

From what I remember, Scrooge generally doesn't trust the police to do a thing, instead preferring to mount a defense to his vault personally with a blunderbuss.

In the comics it's also sort of a toss-up whether Scrooge is also going to be a kind of antagonist or not. Over time, Scrooge became a protagonist by default from his whole power of charisma making the audience sympathize with this guy who puts Donald and the nephews wringer for his own horrible lust for gold, but early on, especially in his original appearance, he was a sort of villain, just one with personal ties to Donald like Gladstone.

Folt The Bolt
Feb 21, 2012

Nothing exciting to see here. Move along.
The first Scrooge appearance, and some subsequent ones, definitely had him as a antagonist, but Barks realized that he had potential for more since an old decrepit guy had limits in what he could do. Thus he became more of a self-made anti-hero and he was given more characteristics we'd associate with a heroic character. That said, Barks kept him about as malleable as Donald so he could fit whatever role that needed to be filled in his stories (hero or villain or even a bystander) so Scrooge, much like Donald, ended up being very flexible to use. Early Italian comics exaggerated his first portrayal though Donald also tended to be exaggerated into an incompetent lazy buffoon in those comics as well. Modern Scrooge (and Donald) mix and match as needed to fill hero or villain roles as the story needs them, or even to be plot devices, much like how Carl Barks used them throughout his career. I remember a recent Paperinik story where Scrooge asks Donald to let Scrooge host a wedding party at a castle which functions as an emergency base for Paperinik. He's not the villain of that story, but he is in the (pretty old) story where Paperinik seizes that castle for himself as an emergency base (though Paperinik at the time was pretty much a pragmatic anti-hero than the superhero crime fighter we have in the modern days).

Don Rosa typically has Scrooge in a hero role, but not always, and his Scrooge is generally consistent in portrayal. The DuckTales cartoons have him mostly as a hero I believe as he's ostensibly one of the key protagonists of both, whether it's the original or the remake, and a good deal of his bad characteristics tend to be weeded out in the DuckTales adaptions, mostly because comics and animations are different, and also due to when they are made, so certain things might be unsuitable for people in these days and age, sadly.

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Yeah, in the cartoons I think at worst he can be a bit selfish and at times lets his greed/pride get the better of him but he generally always snaps out of it by the end of the episode.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

I mean, the whole last episode was Scrooge's pride getting the better of him. Twice, even; first as the Neverrest Ninny who refused to let go of his overpacking (and his money, so his greed features too) and then as the reckless proud climber whose need to surpass his younger self and his rival blinds him to the real hazards and obstacles in his path. It's something Scrooge and Donald have in common (and why they're both a very effective team and why their disagreements run so deep); they're incredibly proud and stubborn ducks who refuse to let obstacles stop them, occasionally beyond all reason. (Scrooge being generally smarter and more pragmatic most of the time)

Scrooge's penny-pinching in this version is actually a bit more realistic, though at times in line with his prior characterisations; he's quite aware he has a lot of spending money, and if the only way through an obstacle is to buy his way through it then he won't hesitate. But he never turns down an opportunity to save money, to the point of occasionally being penny-wise/pound-foolish (though not often, being the richest duck in the world and all) and also because he's happier when he accomplishes something himself. And he's annoyed when people (mostly Launchpad, and sometimes the triplets) spend his money, but it's not the end of the world.

HIJK
Nov 25, 2012
in the room where you sleep
Louis casually swiping Scrooge's credit card and using it to enjoy the tourist spa was the best part of the episode, especially how Scrooge just accepts it and lets it go.

tsob
Sep 26, 2006

Chalalala~
Wait, do you actually see Louis swipe it in the background or something? I'll have to re-watch the episode to see that if so. Scrooge's Santa line is so perfect the entire episode is worth a re-watch just to hear it again.

HIJK
Nov 25, 2012
in the room where you sleep

tsob posted:

Wait, do you actually see Louis swipe it in the background or something? I'll have to re-watch the episode to see that if so. Scrooge's Santa line is so perfect the entire episode is worth a re-watch just to hear it again.

I don't think so :( I think it's just implied with how Scrooge doesn't know Louis took the card until Launchpad breaks it to him, and Louis has a history of sticky fingers.

tsob
Sep 26, 2006

Chalalala~
When is Ducktales back on a regular schedule again? Or will it just be perpetually kicked around the calendar by Disney?

kefkafloyd
Jun 8, 2006

What really knocked me out
Was her cheap sunglasses
No one knows. Disney stuff tends to take hiatuses around December-January anyway

Inkspot
Dec 3, 2013

I believe I have
an appointment.
Mr. Goongala?
Anyone else gone back and watched the season in order?

misadventurous
Jun 26, 2013

the wise gem bowed her head solemnly and spoke: "theres actually zero difference between good & bad quartzes. you imbecile. you fucking moron"

Yeah, it’s much better paced and I can’t imagine watching it any other way now

Hidingo Kojimba
Mar 29, 2010

tsob posted:

When is Ducktales back on a regular schedule again? Or will it just be perpetually kicked around the calendar by Disney?

Disney cares not for consistent scheduling or forewarning. Apparently the ratings on kids shows are better when new episodes are shown completely at random with no buildup or something.

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012

Hidingo Kojimba posted:

Disney cares not for consistent scheduling or forewarning. Apparently the ratings on kids shows are better when new episodes are shown completely at random with no buildup or something.

Kids know how to DVR and On-Demand stream now too so as long as it gets there somehow it works for Disney. I'm actually curious about the difference between ad prices for on-demand and regular broadcast are.

Folt The Bolt
Feb 21, 2012

Huh... The last time I watched Ducktales in my own language, it was The House of Lucky Gander, but before that, it was The Beagle Birthday Massacre. Named 7th and 6th episode respectively, which could actually mean that our country is showing DuckTales in mostly the proper order (if the second half of the Pilot is taken as a standalone episode which would make it number 2 in Episode order).

House of Lucky Gander continues to be my favorite episode as of now, given that it's the first Donald-centric episode I've seen (+ I love the villain of this ep and the fact that we see a Gladstone Gander that's more like the comics version). And I keep loving our dub of this show: Voice and dialogue have been pretty on-point.

I hope our country will get a DVD/Blu-ray containing the entirety of Ducktales 2017 Season 1 in both English and Norwegian once it's done.

Rand Brittain
Mar 25, 2013

"Go on until you're stopped."

Inkspot posted:

Anyone else gone back and watched the season in order?

Is the proper order listed somewhere?

Folt The Bolt
Feb 21, 2012

Rand Brittain posted:

Is the proper order listed somewhere?
I dunno, so I'm posting it here:

1. Woo-oo! (1)
2. Daytrip of Doom! (2)
3. The Impossible Summit of Mt. Neverrest! (9)
4. The Great Dime Chase! (3)
5. The Beagle Birthday Massacre! (4)
6. The House of the Lucky Gander! (6)
7. The Infernal Internship of Mark Beaks! (7)
8. The Living Mummies of Toth-ra! (8)
9. Terror of the Terra-Firmians! (5)

EDIT: Added the order of which they aired in parentheses.

Folt The Bolt fucked around with this message at 20:44 on Dec 12, 2017

evilmiera
Dec 14, 2009

The fact that the ongoing plot was actually supposed to bookend a bunch of standalone episodes like that is kinda amazing.

IRQ
Sep 9, 2001

SUCK A DICK, DUMBSHITS!

tsob posted:

Welcome to Disney scheduling. Not too long ago they took to dumping 2 new episodes of Star Wars Rebels at like 3 am or some dumb poo poo.

I Am Fowl
Mar 8, 2008

nononononono

counterfeitsaint posted:

I was kinda on board until you equated being possessed by a demon as part of the class struggle.

All struggle is class struggle, comrade :ussr:

Folt The Bolt
Feb 21, 2012

Alright! Over Christmas, I've got most of the episode numbers for the Norwegian :norway: dub down:

1. Woo-oo! (Part 1)
2. Woo-oo! (Part 2)
3. Daytrip of Doom!
5. The Great Dime Chase!
6. The Beagle Birthday Massacre!
7. The House of the Lucky Gander!
8. The Infernal Internship of Mark Beaks!
9. The Living Mummies of Toth-ra!

I'm only missing the numbers on "The Impossible Summit of Mt. Neverrest!" and "Terror of the Terra-Firmians!" which are Episodes 4 and 10. Not necessarily with those numbers, but given how the Norwegians have done it so far, it probably is, which means we've actually gotten DuckTales in the intended order. Which is honestly very nice!

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

IRQ posted:

Welcome to Disney scheduling. Not too long ago they took to dumping 2 new episodes of Star Wars Rebels at like 3 am or some dumb poo poo.

Well that was ok, because while that was the premiere they reaired those same two episodes throughout certain points in the same day. So even if you missed them early on you could catch them again later.

Andrew_1985
Sep 18, 2007
Hay hay hay!
So how have the ratings for the revival been? Hopefully they've been pretty good!

BizarroAzrael
Apr 6, 2006

"That must weigh heavily on your soul. Let me purge it for you."
Started a bit of a rewatch, I only just spotted that Donald's sailor suit that gets burned at the start (whilst he's wearing Spike's suit!) is the classic blue, and Glomgold gives him the black one that corresponds to the old comics (which surely would have been blue but black ink was cheaper).

Ruflux
Jun 16, 2012

Actually, I think the black sailor shirt is probably because of black and white newspaper comics, it works better for representing blue than any of the alternatives. Presumably once Donald transitioned over to color comics world they just kept his shirt black there too, for consistency's sake and it stuck around.

Acebuckeye13
Nov 2, 2010

If you or someone you know has a gambling problem, crisis counseling and referral services can be accessed by calling
1-800-GAMBLER

Ultra Carp

Andrew_1985 posted:

So how have the ratings for the revival been? Hopefully they've been pretty good!

According to this, they are.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BizarroAzrael
Apr 6, 2006

"That must weigh heavily on your soul. Let me purge it for you."

Ruflux posted:

Actually, I think the black sailor shirt is probably because of black and white newspaper comics, it works better for representing blue than any of the alternatives. Presumably once Donald transitioned over to color comics world they just kept his shirt black there too, for consistency's sake and it stuck around.

Makes sense, I was just recalling how the Incredible Hulk became green because the ink was cheaper than the grey they were using.