Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

alf_pogs
Feb 15, 2012

what will die first, star citizen or the thread?

whoops snipe, have another sleepy wally

alf_pogs fucked around with this message at 06:04 on Dec 5, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Goredema
Oct 16, 2013

RUIN EVERYTHING

Fun Shoe

alf_pogs posted:

what will die first, star citizen or the thread?

This thread, obviously. Like Cats: The MusicalSpiderman Too: 2 Many Spidermen, Star Citizen is now and forever.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tcrc4VdoueE

Pantsbird
Nov 12, 2017

by Lowtax
The victim freezes into a tense position in front of their computer, livestreaming Star Citizen.

We watch.

NVB
Jan 23, 2010

Grimey Drawer

D_Smart posted:

I am prepared to print, sign, and mail him a signed copy of The July Blog. Such bravery must be rewarded.

Send him a signed battlecruiser T-Shirt & a free lod key.

alf_pogs
Feb 15, 2012

printing out derek's blogs is really going to be bad news for many rainforests

G0RF
Mar 19, 2015

Some galactic defender you are, Space Cadet.
YOUTUBE: Walking In Hyperspace Ships

As a Public Service and “3.0 experience” documentation exercise for those not playing, I’m including below this summary of a randomly selected new Dan Gheesling video. (I apologize for any link errors and the absence of graphics. I wrote it on my phone in stages as my schedule allowed. I may edit in gifs later.)

A prior installment of this sort for those interested can be found here.

That summary, written nearly two years ago, saw Batgirl engaging in a riveting “let’s go flip a switch on or off in a satellite array for AlphaUEC” Mission in 2.4. Heads were bonked, complications ensued, and a person actually capable of landing a plane in real life discovered that she could not, for all her experience, land a ship in the game she loves so painfully much...

But that was nearly two years ago, and it’s often said much has changed since then. That there is more and better content in 3.0 than in a AAA game like GTA5.

So with 3.0 around the corner and Cargo Missions finally adding wild variety to the “menial crap to do in the ‘Verse to earn meager game currency”, let’s check it out and get a measure of progress on the gameplay experience 21 months later.

SESSION 1 - QUANTUM JUMP BLUES

0:01 - Dan’s adventure begins, as all Star Citizen adventures must, with the “awake and escape from the bedroom” challenge. And lest you think getting out of a bed and opening a space door sounds hardly a risky affair, think again.

Yet while the challenge recently proved fatal for Batgirl, Dan proves equal to the task. He survives opening the door and is off in search of mega-thrills in Chris Roberts’s living, breathing universe of 3 moons, 1 planet, and a planetoid on loan from another star system as yet not in the game.

“Excited to get started here, we’ve hit a few of non-buttery patches of servers. But we’re going to give it the true experience here. We’re gonna battle through it.”

He then explains that he’s received so many requests to perform a Cargo mission that this will indeed be today’s goal.

0:19 - He races to the terminal to spawn his ship of choice — the Avenger — and then, like a shot, he races out to board it.

But it didn’t spawn, a fact he eventually realizes. IT’S ALPHA.

No matter, he’ll just spawn an Aurora and engage in the first of many fictive conversations with his viewers.

1:12 - ”Alright, lets take an Aurora DL.”
(imitating)
“Dan, you’re gonna take a bucket of bolts over the Avenger?”
(replying)
”Well we pulled out a little early and Albert gave us cream cheese when we asked for... some anchovy-filled olives. Alright nonetheless another of you guys said was ‘Hey Dan, you’re able to go buy the actual easy helmet.’”

With that he’s off to the store and seconds later standing before the helmet he’d like to buy.

1:49 - “I would like to purchase the helmet.”

Apparently the Voice Command feature is having a little trouble because despite repeated attempts to purchase the helmet, he can’t. So he instead heads off in search of adventure resigned to wearing his “Eddie Bauer helmet”. For now.

2:50 - He approaches his Aurora. Gets in. Spends a small eternity trying to get it started but eventually succeeds. 3 minutes since his bedroom escape, his adventure begins.

3:45 - Mobiglass Fu ensues, eventually leading him to accept his Cargo mission four minutes in to his session.

The objective: Retrieve mineral samples from Daymar.

Say goodbye to those boring “flip the switch on/off at the Comm Array” missions of old and hello to the thrilling “get in a spaceship, expend fuel and time, navigate the mobiglass interface, contend with quantum drive challenges and the vast in-game distances to pick up one box of minerals from a pile of junk on the dark side of a moon for a pittance in credits” missions. Now you’re playing with power — SuperPower.

6:10 - After several failed attempts to Quantum jump to Daymar, he decides to apply one of the most ancient of PC rituals to his Aurora. The full-power reboot.

He shuts it off. Then powers it back up. And IT WORKS!

6:52 - “Quantum drive is now OFF. Quantum drive is now ON. Quantum drive is now OFF. Quantum drive is now ON.” (Just tap the button, Dan. Stop holding it.)

7:08 - A dazzling Quantum Jump slideshow begins.

(imitating)
“Dan the frames don’t look very good.”
(replying)
“Don’t worry ‘bout the frames we’re going for the order delivery.”

7:40 - He discovers he’s still too far from the target for a quick approach and thus will have to micro-jump closer.

“Alright so let’s lock on to Orbital Marker 6 — get your dongers out, we’re going for it!”

9:08- “We’re fighting through the curds and whey to try to get to the butter server.”

A protracted interlude of interface difficulty and user error ensues. Eventually his boredom gives way to reflection and a revelatory utterance worthy of the truest of Star Citizens.

11:15 - “Alright so now we are de-coupled we should just literally... use our acquiescence, our momentum to move forward.”

(Acquiescence and momentum have gotten us this far, Dan, may they forever move us forward.)

Meanwhile, back in the Verse, Dan feels an urgent longing and decides it’s time to play with danger.

“While that’s going on... there’s a strong desire to get up and walk around, maybe lay down in the back.”
(imitating)
“Dan are you kidding me?”

He explains that no, he’s not really kidding,“We’ve got a long way to go and what else are you gonna do?”
(imitating)
“But Dan if you get up, there’s a strong chance you may never sit down again.”
(replying)
”I guess that’s a chance we have to take.”

12:03 - Dan leaves the pilot’s seat, eager to embark on a walkabout around his Aurora, a ship which has approximately two meters of walkable floor.

After a brief session of ultra-fidelity crotch shots, his meditative Aurora stroll finds him harkening back to his tender years, as memories of his love of Legos resurface:

”As a kid, I would build Lego vehicles and ships. Not because I liked ships — I kinda did but moreso, I liked the ability to walk around inside of a moving vehicle — store things in there, hide things in there, pull up the panels underneath maybe hide some inadequate... No, do not... Maybe have a little hidden area there where you can hide contraband. But this is the dream. This is part of why I like Star Citizen.”

13:30 - Reinvigorated by his brisk toddle around the Aurora, he returns to the Pilot’s Seat.

“I know there’s problems, I know there’s bugs, I know it’s Alpha, I know it’s going to take awhile. But... with that being said... we can walk around a moving ship. Respect it.”

15:15 - “This is the very definition of ghost riding the whip...”
(imitating)
“But Dan, you’re not very stable here...”

ERROR: DISCONNECTION (CODE 30000)

”Noooo.”

Yes, he crashed. The past 15 minutes spent attempting to consummate an in-game UPS Driver Mission are lost and the Groundhog Day rebirth cycle begins anew. He awakens in his space bed for what surely is his 10000th time at this point and embarks upon the “Awake and escape from the bedroom” mission again.

SESSION #2 - BUTTER SHUFFLE

15:28 - ”Chris Roberts taketh away... but also giveth. And this, look at this, this is a brand new fresh 60 fps server.”
(imitating)
“But Dan, why did you leave the other footage on this episode out?”
(replying)
”This is why. So you can get a taste of the PTU. This is what it’s all about. You get some curds and whey and then you get the smooth butter.”

The do-over begins. Frame rates are up as are butter nonsequitors.

16:11 - “The more butter, LOOK at all these people! They’re gravitating towards the butter. Open this. We gotta go! LOOK at how good — this is... I’m not gassing you guys up this is 100% 60 fps... or pretty darn close to it.”
(imitating)
”Dan you said 100% - which is it?”
(replying)
”You tell me — you see the smoke? I got no words for it. This is why when you get the Butter Server you take full advantage of it... I’d like... Butter!”

He races through the hallways to get to his Avenger, but alas, are frames already slowing a bit on the Butter Server?

“See it’s startin’... People are startin’ to drop some curds and whey.”

17:06 - He’s reached the Avenger and boards it post haste as the threat of impending curds and whey looms large over the Butter Server.

(imitating)
“Dan, you said you were gonna do a Cargo mission.
(replying)
“I think the title of this episode just became ‘Butter and Curds and Whey.”

He quickly cycles through missions like a man on a mission to get missions while the getting is Butter and not Curds and Whey.

17:50

(imitating)
“Dan you should probably read that quicker a little bit slower.”
(replying)
“I would... but at the same time, we’re trying to get some Butter into Daymar. But when we get some stableness we’re going to soak all this in like a fine vintage.”

18:21 - The race to get some Butter to Daymar goes Quantum. But upon arrival in orbit, complications ensue. He’s lost his mission.

He navigates the Mobiglass in search of a Daymar-based Cargo mission because Butter, and fortunately, he finds one. A pickup mission at a stash house. He takes it. But sees no stash house added as quest marker.

19:22 - Panic threatens to set in, and Dan makes clear just how urgent the stakes are.

In a brute force gambit to overcome any disappearing objective risks, he accepts every mission and looks to see if that added a quest marker. No joy. Perhaps a jump to a nearby marker might solve the problem?

20:20 - “One can only hope. Let’s enjoy the Butter. Thank you guys so much for tuning in by the way! — So did they not give us the butter?”

Negatory, he sees no quest markers added after accepting all missions and jumping to a nearby orbital marker. Like you said before, Dan — Chris Roberts giveth and Chris Roberts taketh away.

Daymar is out and Yela is in, at least as a waypoint en route to Cellin.

21:42 - After nearly 22 minutes of not being able to engage in his Cargo quest mission, maybe this time is different. He begins the routine futz-with-interfaces ritual to attempt to set his new destination.

23:00 - A minute and a half later, he jumps to Yela — and upon completion, he muses aloud that it would be interesting to poll his viewers for a confidence check in his ability to complete the mission, or at least pick up the stash.

I believe in you, Dan — I gotta believe!

Now in orbit around Yela, he can begin the next leg of the world’s most circuitous “get in get stuff get out” plan. It’s time to visit his third planetary body, Cellin.

23:43 - The Jump to Cellin about to begin, Dan contrasts the incredible experience he’s currently been enjoying with Elite Dangerous, and it’s pretty clear which side of the bread his Butter is coming from.

”Zing!”

(Yeah I hate having to measure the barometric pressure in Elite before traveling, too, Dan.)

24:00 - He’s here — at Cellin! And better still, the quest marker is right before him.

Finally, FINALLY, the quest is within arm’s reach, he’ll be there in no time! So what does Dan decide to do?

(imitating)
“Dan, are you going to walk around in the ship?”
(replying)
”That’s debatable.”

But after a few moments pass, he makes his choice. He will PLAY WITH DANGER again because Legos, Butter, etc.

24:40 - He gets out of his Pilot Seat...

And it seems for a moment there might’ve been a problem, but no, everything’s fine. The terrifying mortal danger he was playing with by exiting a chair has past.

Dan breaths a sigh of relief, “Ah, okay, nice. I was a LITTLE BIT concerned there...”

THEN HE DIES.

“Ahhh. Noooo.”

25:10 - SESSION #3 - DAYMAR ELEGY

25:10 - “I cant believe that happened. No.”

“Desperate times call for desperate measures. We’re back in the exact same locale, exact same server, exact same mission.”

25:30 - Now in the Drake Herald, he sees his abandoned Avenger and wonders if it will beat him to the planet.

25:40 - “We should be able to beat it. We’re coming in hot, we should blow past it, it may crater. I don’t know if we’re going to be able to save our ship but nonetheless, I’m going to get up and walk around.”

He moves to do it.

”I’m just joking. I learned my lesson.”

:lol::lol::lol:

He continues his descent with blistering speed.

(imitating)
“Dan, do you think you should pull up yet?”
(replying)
”I think we’ve still got some time. There’s our Avenger let’s give it a nice little cruise by, shall we?”

Then it hits him, ”Oh we’re still going down Dan because you’re decoupled. Uh-oh! Pull-up!”

BOINK!

27:07 - “Oooaaahhhh!”

Dan’s ship spins wildly and you’d be forgiven for thinking all hope was lost, but no, he manages to stabilize it. He sets his sights on the quest objective and muses to self that he can’t believe he survived what should’ve been a fatal mistake. Given his past experience, maybe not leaving his pilot’s seat had something to do with that.

The pick-up point is now in sight. Consummation of the objective twice denied him is finally near.

27:55 - ”There’s our product! It’s just out there!”

28:07 - ”IT’S JUST OUT THERE!”
(imitating)
”Dan this is what you should be doing instead of dinkin’ around!”

28:17 - Dan pulls off an ”I can’t believe it’s not butter!” smooth landing that even he seems impressed with.

”Let’s go ahead and set her down- I didn’t know it was gonna be like this! Just dropped, like an airdrop!”

Dan decides to keep the engines on. And why not? He’s got line-of-sight on the package from here. Considering that he’s still got to deliver the thing that’s cost him two ships, two lives, and probably two hours of true gameplay time, he might as well grab-and-go.

30:25 - Having loaded his grabby hands with his “Walter White Stash”, he’s ready for the next leg of this rip-roaring, page turner of an adventure to begin.

Briefly, a dark thought cross his mind and lips. The butter-smooth landing of his Herald was actually more awkward than he realized before exiting the vehicle. He considers the possibility that he might not be able to get back in his vehicle. But hope springs eternal and he’s not afraid to show it.

“We got a shot at it. You think we don’t but YOU HAVE TO BELIEVE!”

(Hell ya Dan, you’re right about that — you gotta believe!)

30:42 - Paranoid about possible unseen threats in on the dark side of the moon near Box Retrieval HQ, he draws his weapon, inadvertently dropping the mission objective in the darkness.

30:59 - Confirming the box is no longer in his grabby hands, a horrified utterance escapes:“We dropped the box - no!”

31:38 - All hope seems lost, but wait... What’s that? Could it be? Saints be praised HE FINDS THE BOX and the adventure of a lifetime begins anew! You GOTTA BELIEVE, indeed!

32:05 - Oh wait, he can’t get the cargo in his ship. He really did park it wrong and the inordinate and only partially documented efforts at attempting to complete his first Cargo game loop, that of a riveting interstellar FED EX mission, ends in a heartbreaking realization:

32:10 - “I think this is probably... we’re stuck in a, in a spot. I hope that someone can come to Cellan and piece together what happened here. Thank you guys so much for watching!”

Postscript:

His YouTube description of this exercise in funkilling grinding through fatal bugs, poor choices and adventure-free missions?

“Star Citizen 3.0 Gameplay at it's finest!”

G0RF fucked around with this message at 07:21 on Dec 5, 2017

Combat Theory
Jul 16, 2017

Just as I wanted to go to sleep :argh:

Thanks G0RF. Hell of a post

Dogeh
Aug 30, 2017

ShitMeter: -------------|- 99%
You're wasted here G0rf.
Every thought about writing scripts for Squadron 42?

G0RF
Mar 19, 2015

Combat Theory posted:

Just as I wanted to go to sleep :argh:

Thanks G0RF. Hell of a post

Ha! No need to thank me, Combat Theory! I started watching that video back when the view count was below 1000 and while I found it boring and annoying it first, over time Gheesling’s demeanor just won me over with its goofy commitment. So I really felt like it deserved a write-up — partly as examination of the Cargo Mechanic, but also just because the sound bites are so kooky and setbacks so hilarious.

So writing it up was its own reward — I laughed and laughed throughout. I only wish I had had the time to drop screencaps in and gifs. But when I get a good couple hours at my machine I will revise. It mostly certainly deserves it.

Dogeh posted:

You're wasted here G0rf.

No way - it’s a privilege being a contributor here.

quote:

Ever thought about writing scripts for Squadron 42?
Alas, if the CIG Intern assigned to the thread is doing their job, I suspect at this point Chris is not an especially big fan of my work... besides, I think Squadron is in good hands. From what I hear it’s going to kick other games in the rear end!

G0RF fucked around with this message at 07:15 on Dec 5, 2017

Abuminable
Mar 30, 2017

Now, aside from the Abuminable, business goes on as usual.

3.0 Jesus Patch posted:

Send him a signed battlecruiser T-Shirt & a free lod key.

Heck, if the kid is able to extract maximum troll points from his classmate, send him an over-the-top gift, like some new gear. Imagine the grin on the kid's face when he gets to tell the sperg at school the next day that Derek Smart bought him an Xbox or an iPad :lol:

Ponzi
Feb 21, 2016

DEPORTED FROM FLAVOR TOWN

ICSA 67 LOSER
Fun Shoe

Krycek posted:

Does cig have any sort of actual design document? Even if it's just "do space things" scrawled on a used napkin. They had those in the 90s, didn't they?

Mirificus
Oct 29, 2004

Kings need not raise their voices to be heard

no_recall
Aug 17, 2015

Lipstick Apathy
Lol, it's absolutely unbelievable that people are celebrating this mess of a game.

Hell of a write-up tho G0RF

e: brainfart

G0RF
Mar 19, 2015

no_recall posted:

Lol, it's absolutely unbelievable that people are celebrating this mess of a game.

You’re only saying that because you haven’t had the Butter.

quote:

Hell of a write-up tho G0RF

It is the tale not he who tells it. Dan is the man!

Seriously — don’t just read this part, click the link and tell me you aren’t cracking up at his rhapsodic Butter interjections. I was tearing up by the third time I replayed it during transcription.

“I’d like — BUTTER!”

quote:

16:11 - “The more butter, LOOK at all these people! They’re gravitating towards the butter. Open this. We gotta go! LOOK at how good — this is... I’m not gassing you guys up this is 100% 60 fps... or pretty darn close to it.”
(imitating)
”Dan you said 100% - which is it?”
(replying)
”You tell me — you see the smoke? I got no words for it. This is why when you get the Butter Server you take full advantage of it... I’d like... Butter!”

G0RF fucked around with this message at 07:27 on Dec 5, 2017

no_recall
Aug 17, 2015

Lipstick Apathy

G0RF posted:

Seriously — don’t just read this part, click the link and tell me you aren’t cracking up at his rhapsodic Butter interjections. I was tearing up by the third time I replayed it during transcription.

“I’d like — BUTTER!”

Yeah I watched it and I simply can't believe his enthusiasm.

Well I understand most streamers want to put on a good show, but good God, please play another game.

Pantsbird
Nov 12, 2017

by Lowtax
All of us are wasted on most of the things we do or care about.

One in the Bum
Apr 25, 2014

Hair Elf

no_recall posted:

- No mention of how netcode will work, technical aspects of anything dealing with the networking side. Wait, this IS AN MMO, right?
- No mention of how servers will spin up / spin down (lol) and explanations of how this glorious magic will occur in real time, and the mechanics thereof.

If they were ever actually forced to get this working, they'd do things just like Elite does, peer2peer with a central matchmaking service.

NVB
Jan 23, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Abuminable posted:

Heck, if the kid is able to extract maximum troll points from his classmate, send him an over-the-top gift, like some new gear. Imagine the grin on the kid's face when he gets to tell the sperg at school the next day that Derek Smart bought him an Xbox or an iPad :lol:

Or even better Uncle D flies to were ever the kid school is and for show n tell Uncle D get's to personally read the 25000 trillion word world renowned july blog to the entire class. :grin:

One in the Bum
Apr 25, 2014

Hair Elf

G0RF posted:

“I’d like — BUTTER!”

Paula Dean about to sue someone for copyright infringement.

One in the Bum
Apr 25, 2014

Hair Elf

:golfclap:

SomethingJones
Mar 6, 2016

<3

G0RF posted:

YOUTUBE: Walking In Hyperspace Ships

As a Public Service and “3.0 experience” documentation exercise for those not playing, I’m including below this summary of a randomly selected new Dan Gheesling video.

This is my favourite G0rf post of all time, this is tremendous and hilarious.

Bofast
Feb 21, 2011

Grimey Drawer

trucutru posted:

While the cultists are adamant that all the incredible progress they have done on SQ42 has not been released because "spoilers", the truth is that the plot of SQ42 has already been leaked... by CR himself.

The vanduul find a new wormhole that allows them to jump directly into the heart of the empire, bypassing all the the defenses, so the SQUADRON 42 is the only thing between them and the annihilation on most human lives.

And the kingship is a 6-km-long ship that holds the king of the vanduul, which is why it's so scary.

It looks like a xenomorph's penis, and has a bent bayonet at the end because all vanduul ships have bayonets, in space.

This looks about as dumb as that supposed klingon ship in the new star trek pilot, the one with a front able to cleave through another starship without losing its cloak, somehow.

his nibs
Feb 27, 2016

:kayak:Welcome to the:kayak:
Dream Factory
:kayak:
Grimey Drawer

big nipples big life posted:

1-6 fps is playable.

to be fair, having the ability to admire your jpeg in real time is pretty groundbreaking tech

Abuminable
Mar 30, 2017

Now, aside from the Abuminable, business goes on as usual.

3.0 Jesus Patch posted:

Or even better Uncle D flies to were ever the kid school is and for show n tell Uncle D get's to personally read the 25000 trillion word world renowned july blog to the entire class. :grin:

All these spergs, like the little classmate, let it fly on the interwebs, insulting Derek and his crazy goons, calling him everything but the son of God. How quickly they would cower if Dr. D showed up in person.

Goredema
Oct 16, 2013

RUIN EVERYTHING

Fun Shoe

Pantsbird posted:

Chris Robmero's Daikaparpa

MFW this is shockingly on the mark.

Rugganovich
Apr 29, 2017

Hav posted:

Ordinarily I'd agree, but we're invoking the idea that CiG are competent enough to know the law, and not greedy enough to attempt anything cynical like 'massaging the numbers'. I'm not so sure anymore, because I really believe that this is going to end up in the dumbfuck defense.

"I really tried, but $166 million isn't enough to make a game that big"

Now making the game _bigger_ has a more strategic angle. ;)

The only problem with that line of thought is when Chris stated a couple of years ago that they had sufficient funds to complete the game.
That negates the defense right there.

His biggest problem is that he still has his 90's mindset when it comes to what he promises. In the 90's you could waffle on with bullshit and people would forget as time went on and when it came to calling a person on something it was near nigh impossible to find the info.
Fast forward to now and everything is recorded in triplicate.

One other thing that people seem to be missing, is that legislation and consumer protection is finally catching up to software development.
In the past, software developers could wave off buggy software as part of the experience. More governments are saying, "No, your product is not fit for purpose, fix it in a timely manner or refund the purchaser"
I can only see consumer protections becoming stronger. Thankyou EA.

And I'll leave you with one thing to ponder. I know that Derek has stated that no-one will go to gaol over this, who knows, but have a look at the proofs of Fraud and see how many boxes you can tick.

Elements of proof:
Any act or omission
Including a misrepresentation
That knowingly or recklessly misleads, or attempts to mislead
A party
To obtain a financial or other benefit
Or to avoid an obligation

AP
Jul 12, 2004

One Ring to fool them all
One Ring to find them
One Ring to milk them all
and pockets fully line them
Grimey Drawer
https://twitter.com/scireimperium/status/937961838469373952

https://twitter.com/Dan10414384/status/937900249498210306

https://twitter.com/RyloKenMusic/status/937890993990385664

Milkfred E. Moore
Aug 27, 2006

'It's easier to imagine the end of the world than the end of capitalism.'

Rugganovich posted:

The only problem with that line of thought is when Chris stated a couple of years ago that they had sufficient funds to complete the game.
That negates the defense right there.

His biggest problem is that he still has his 90's mindset when it comes to what he promises. In the 90's you could waffle on with bullshit and people would forget as time went on and when it came to calling a person on something it was near nigh impossible to find the info.
Fast forward to now and everything is recorded in triplicate.

One other thing that people seem to be missing, is that legislation and consumer protection is finally catching up to software development.
In the past, software developers could wave off buggy software as part of the experience. More governments are saying, "No, your product is not fit for purpose, fix it in a timely manner or refund the purchaser"
I can only see consumer protections becoming stronger. Thankyou EA.

And I'll leave you with one thing to ponder. I know that Derek has stated that no-one will go to gaol over this, who knows, but have a look at the proofs of Fraud and see how many boxes you can tick.

Elements of proof:
Any act or omission
Including a misrepresentation
That knowingly or recklessly misleads, or attempts to mislead
A party
To obtain a financial or other benefit
Or to avoid an obligation

I think the problem is more how do you draw the line between 'fraud' and 'the realities of development'. And how do you do that when most people aren't savvy on video games in general?

AP
Jul 12, 2004

One Ring to fool them all
One Ring to find them
One Ring to milk them all
and pockets fully line them
Grimey Drawer
https://twitter.com/TheBeauCanadian/status/937874816387960834

https://www.twitch.tv/videos/206827216?t=50m30s

Mu77ley
Oct 14, 2016

The Titanic posted:

Because we did it team!

Exactly: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xN1WN0YMWZU

Sandweed
Sep 7, 2006

All your friends are me.

The MMO gamer is a weird individual. Forever yearning for the forever game, but never staying with a MMO for more than a few months.

Bofast
Feb 21, 2011

Grimey Drawer

Colostomy Bag posted:

I have yet been able to watch it all the way through. I could start the thing at 7pm and be sound asleep by 7:30.

This is the only way I've been able to watch parts of it and not have my brain feel as though it had been sucked out through my ear:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IEX02907nPY

(It's in English, just Russian subs on the video)

Bofast
Feb 21, 2011

Grimey Drawer

Combat Theory posted:

Since it's a nice ans chill Sunday and I am not having any headache or hangover despite yesterdays drinking escalations (spite :laffo: at Beet) I'll have a word on E:D

I think that elite is polarizing its players around a single very important question : are you mostly playing alone, or are you mostly playing with a group of friends? I bought ED during beta long before any of my gaming friends (that I mostly got to know through star citizen funny enough) picked it up. And I played it for a week or 2 and bored out of it. When I came back to ED because star citizen was fubar, many of my friends came with me and we played it together ever since, with a few months of pauses to play other games. And my opinion of elite did a 180. Doing combat war zones and hazardous bounty hunting with friends is an experience I never bore out of and I for myself Look forward to the squadron gameplay they announced for beyond.

Having said that from my earlier times I can totally understand how bad the game actually is if you have to go through it all by yourself. I never had to learn much because I had all my buddies with me and apart from the combat, everyone had his own pet peeve that he learned and teached the others the importang bits, be it planetside, exploration or smuggling or engineering.

Aniways just my personal 2 C(hris) R(oberts) on Elite.

Yeah, E:D is a much more enjoyable experience in a wing, especially since that fills up that otherwise dull travel time with some potential banter and such.

Rugganovich
Apr 29, 2017

Toops posted:

Star Citizen Defense Playbook:

Timeline Criticisms:
  • CIG had to build a company from scratch, including hiring, building studios around the globe, etc.
  • R&D doesn't count.
  • All those games had engines already made. CIG is building their engine from scratch. It is called "Star Engine."
  • Those other games actually started development and R&D way before those dates, don't you know anything?
  • Star Citizen already has way more content than any of those games.
  • Star Citizen is doing something that literally no one has ever attempted before. Ground-breaking innovations take time.
  • Those games are bad because money-grubbing publishers forced them out the door before devs could make them into something good. Star Citizen doesn't have publishers, and no deadlines, so this means Star Citizen will be better.
  • This new era of gamers are impatient little bitches. I don't mind the wait, I have patience. I keep pledging so Chris Roberts will have as much time as he needs to recognize his vision.

Bugs, Lack of Content Criticisms
  • Star Citizen is more transparent than any other company, ever. You're seeing how the sausage is made.
  • There is way more content than they are showing us because they don't want to spoil it.
  • What are you talking about? I just spent <X> hours playing the game it's great/runs great/no bugs/perfectly smooth/amazing.
  • You obviously don't understand game development. Bugs like this are totally normal for a game in this stage of development. Have you ever heard of Alpha??
  • Don't be a part of early access if you can't handle some bugs.
  • All of those things you just listed are on the schedule, they will be delivered in <patch number>
  • They are doing a lot of the ground-work tech / pipelines that will pave the way for faster content creation later.
  • Oh, they already have the tech for <most of new feature that came out of nowhere>, it's not much effort to add.

Funding Model, Sales, Marketing Criticisms
  • Star Citizen is doing something different. They are bypassing the greedy publisher model only cares about profit and kills innovation.
  • Nobody is forcing you to pledge.
  • I backed the game because I believe in Chris Roberts's vision, it's the game I've always dreamed of playing.
  • All the ships that can be bought can be acquired in-game, therefore not pay-to-win.
  • The game does not have subscriptions. You can subscribe to help pay for weekly content which gives us insights into game development never before seen.
  • You're not buying land! You're buying the ability to claim land. Huge difference.
  • It's not a scam. They have offices all over the world and the game is playable right now.
  • CIG is not in any kind of financial trouble, just look at the funding tracker.

General Rebuttals
  • Why are you even commenting if you hate the game so much? What kind of sad person just goes around tearing things down?
  • Oh look, another Derek Smart alt trying to spread lies and mis-information about Star Citizen because he's jealous.
  • Known troll/goon. Downvote and move on.
  • How many AAA games have YOU released?
  • You are entitled to NOTHING.
  • Even if the game never comes out, I’m proud to be a part of it, at least Chris is trying.

e: added a couple, including the all-important “You are entitled to NOTHING.”

I think I may have been on the receiving end of all of those.
In fact as a rebuttal this very day when someone said this about SC gameplay,

quote:

I think the far more probable and sad outcome is that as people get to see how the game actually plays they just lose interest and realise it's not worth investing in or caring about anymore. All these grand tales here of how the game will play and what people will do, but it's all the based in imagination.
This brutal takedown was dropped

quote:

but then Eve has lasted for a decade and it's basically a spreadsheet game with graphics.

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy
The thing with eve online is, pvp combat has a lot of things going on, but many people never get to that part because they're either too stupid or too lazy to figure it out and then dismiss the whole game as spreadsheets online.

In fact it's exactly the kind of game star citizens want, with only slightly shittier gameplay. Tactics you employ in eve-o are the same as in any other space sim, they're just clunkier to execute due to the bad interface, and the difference between a team that mastered flying well and a team that hasn't is often as stark as barely winning in a evenly matched battle vs winning very easily when outnumbered 10:1.

SCtrumpHaters
Oct 28, 2017

by Nyc_Tattoo

SomethingJones posted:

That is a crock of poo poo and also it is lies.

They've done in 5 days half what they did last month? Sit the gently caress down, nobody's falling for that complete utter shite. Not a chance.

With the views they get on youtube? With the press they got? With nobody able to even run the knob of pure turd they pushed out?

If that's funding it's come from a loving loan or from one of their shells, that's pure bullshit. I can smell it from here.

You guys really need to skim reddit and spectrum on occasion. 75% of the topics on that forum are talking about the expensive ships they bought. Its perfectly plausible especially during a sale. This is the biggest part of the sale, all ships are on sale. Citizens wait all year for right this moment to stock up on ships.

I know, being wrong is hard.

SCtrumpHaters fucked around with this message at 12:51 on Dec 5, 2017

SCtrumpHaters
Oct 28, 2017

by Nyc_Tattoo
You guys are as shrill as derek about this tracker. Face it, sc brings in lots of money despite your efforts

mrchinchin25
Apr 14, 2012

Dat BDSSE
What gets me is a lot of people saying the 3.0 they've got now is not the 3.0 that is coming "soon" - ie. the live 3.0

Do they really think there's another build of 3.0 hidden away full of content (worms, procedural birds, pets, missions, mining, bounty hunting and drink waitering) and stability (network & server & FPS improvement, bind culling, and lets make some new buzzwords up - enterprise server deference)

I suspect (and will call it here) that the 3.0 release now is it in terms of content, this is what they've spent the last 2 years on since 2.x (or in Game Development years - 6 months, as all times are quartered as we know)

Also, and this really gets me, in a game about space combat and space ships the only time i've seen someone on twitch destroy something in 3.0 is when that dude blue up a ship full of crates. Everyone else is flying around, crashing, trying to land, crashing, and driving around a planet before crashing.

MilesK
Nov 5, 2015

The (main) sale is at over $8 million with about 8 hours left to go.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SCtrumpHaters
Oct 28, 2017

by Nyc_Tattoo

mrchinchin25 posted:

What gets me is a lot of people saying the 3.0 they've got now is not the 3.0 that is coming "soon" - ie. the live 3.0

Do they really think there's another build of 3.0 hidden away full of content (worms, procedural birds, pets, missions, mining, bounty hunting and drink waitering) and stability (network & server & FPS improvement, bind culling, and lets make some new buzzwords up - enterprise server deference)

I suspect (and will call it here) that the 3.0 release now is it in terms of content, this is what they've spent the last 2 years on since 2.x (or in Game Development years - 6 months, as all times are quartered as we know)

Also, and this really gets me, in a game about space combat and space ships the only time i've seen someone on twitch destroy something in 3.0 is when that dude blue up a ship full of crates. Everyone else is flying around, crashing, trying to land, crashing, and driving around a planet before crashing.

If you want some arcade shooter go play Elite or COD. This is a sim. Combat is only a small aspect of star citizen's universe.