Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

oldpainless
Oct 30, 2009

This 📆 post brought to you by RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS👥.
RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS 👥 - It's for your phone📲TM™ #ad📢

I need to say that Catch-22 is one of 3 books that I have nothing but pure hate for.

IT SUCKS

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Aesop Poprock
Oct 21, 2008

Grimey Drawer
Mash is like the complete opposite of TV series that didn't age well

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sYjy7uUn7fc

burial
Sep 13, 2002

actually, that won't be necessary.

Aesop Poprock posted:

That will never stop being beyond hosed. It hurts just like new!

Beachcomber
May 21, 2007

Another day in paradise.

Slippery Tilde

Aesop Poprock posted:

I'm going to assume this is the chicken thing, which is, in fact, not real but only a fever dream I had as a child.

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Your life and your quest end here.

oldpainless posted:

I need to say that Catch-22 is one of 3 books that I have nothing but pure hate for.
It's one of those books that people say are brilliant and hilarious and I just don't get it at all. Along with A Confederacy of Dunces and The Man Who Was Thursday.

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug
Catch 22 is one of the funniest and most infuriating books I've ever read. I hope they cast someone with the most punchable face possible for Arfy.

AvesPKS
Sep 26, 2004

I don't dance unless I'm totally wasted.

Achernar posted:

This is actually an old Hollywood gimmick to give more money to show creators. The theme to Bonanza or I Dream of Jeanie also had lyrics written for them but not used in the intros.

Huh. That scene in The Pest makes a lot more sense now.

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

Don't you tell me my business again.

Aesop Poprock posted:

Wow. Totally disagree. I think it's practically the poster child for shows aging terribly. Only episodes I can still watch or the ones with Larry Linville

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

The acting is just as bad as I remembered it.

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010

Ugly In The Morning posted:

Catch 22 is one of the funniest and most infuriating books I've ever read. I hope they cast someone with the most punchable face possible for Arfy.

Jake Busey, then?

DACK FAYDEN
Feb 25, 2013

Bear Witness

Tiggum posted:

It's one of those books that people say are brilliant and hilarious and I just don't get it at all. Along with A Confederacy of Dunces and The Man Who Was Thursday.
Genuinely surprised by Confederacy - as the ur-goon myself, I instantly recognized it as a book about a goon who lives before the internet.

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

DACK FAYDEN posted:

Genuinely surprised by Confederacy - as the ur-goon myself, I instantly recognized it as a book about a goon who lives before the internet.
It's tiggum, though. If there were dosimeters for obliviousness we all would have hit the lifetime limit after being exposed to a year or two of his posts.

Zamboni Rodeo
Jul 19, 2007

NEVER play "Lady of Spain" AGAIN!

Catch 22 is one of the funniest and most infuriating books I've ever read.

My dad felt the same way the first time he read it. Then he got sent to Vietnam. It wasn't nearly as funny to him when he reread it after he got home.

Precambrian
Apr 30, 2008

I was binging MASH, and one of the episodes back when it was still Col. Blake in charge had a plot that was just Hawkeye refusing to go to sleep and becoming increasingly manic from sleep deprivation, which was played for comedy, even though the entire episode was just him having a massive breakdown from the stress of the war. I don't know if it's because of current attitudes towards PTSD are different now or what, but it was honestly the most effective political MASH episodes I saw, largely because the whole thing was played for laughs and the whole thing was just really horrible.

That, and the scene where everyone's doing the usual hokey wise cracks during a meeting and Col. Potter just blows up on everyone because the meeting's about how they should start expecting white phosphorous burns and how to treat it. Harry Morgan's delivery on "If they can keep inventing better ways to kill people, why can't they invent a way to end this STUPID WAR" just really just sticks with me. It's great self-critique.

MASH is a show that's aged weirdly--it's stiff, the humor's weak more often than not, and a lot of the politics are artless, but it has some bits that really just hit home because they're running on a different standard of what is and isn't inappropriate for TV.

DACK FAYDEN
Feb 25, 2013

Bear Witness

It's tiggum, though. If there were dosimeters for obliviousness we all would have hit the lifetime limit after being exposed to a year or two of his posts.
Failure to read username failed to make post, my bad :(

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Precambrian posted:

Harry Morgan's delivery on "If they can keep inventing better ways to kill people, why can't they invent a way to end this STUPID WAR" just really just sticks with me.

That is a good moment

Volcott
Mar 30, 2010

People paying American dollars to let other people know they didn't agree with someone's position on something is the lifeblood of these forums.
Plane carrying man with silly hat shot down over Sea of Japan, AP confirms.

Krispy Wafer
Jul 26, 2002

I shouted out "Free the exposed 67"
But they stood on my hair and told me I was fat

Grimey Drawer

Zamboni_Rodeo posted:

My dad felt the same way the first time he read it. Then he got sent to Vietnam. It wasn't nearly as funny to him when he reread it after he got home.

My dad said all his army buddies made fun of the scene where the guy gets chopped in half. Apparently it looks fake, but it always looked real to me.

That said, if people in the military say someone getting mangled or decapitated looks fake, they probably know what the real stuff looks like.

DrBouvenstein
Feb 28, 2007

I think I'm a doctor, but that doesn't make me a doctor. This fancy avatar does.

Precambrian posted:

That, and the scene where everyone's doing the usual hokey wise cracks during a meeting and Col. Potter just blows up on everyone because the meeting's about how they should start expecting white phosphorous burns and how to treat it. Harry Morgan's delivery on "If they can keep inventing better ways to kill people, why can't they invent a way to end this STUPID WAR" just really just sticks with me. It's great self-critique.

Zamboni Rodeo
Jul 19, 2007

NEVER play "Lady of Spain" AGAIN!

Krispy Wafer posted:

My dad said all his army buddies made fun of the scene where the guy gets chopped in half. Apparently it looks fake, but it always looked real to me.

That said, if people in the military say someone getting mangled or decapitated looks fake, they probably know what the real stuff looks like.

Yeah, my dad was a medical corpsman in the Navy. He got to see the worst of what war does to people. He really doesn't talk about it much.

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

He plays for the dreamers that forgot how to dream, and the lovers that forgot how to love.
There's also the old story about Christopher Lee correcting the direction on a movie he was acting in because he knew exactly how a guy being stabbed in the back sounded and the director's direction was unrealistic.

Aesop Poprock
Oct 21, 2008

Grimey Drawer
I honestly wouldn't be surprised if Christopher Lee also knew exactly how a battle between two wizards should sound either

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Pouches, bandages, shoulderpad, cyber-eye...

Bitchin'!

BioEnchanted posted:

There's also the old story about Christopher Lee correcting the direction on a movie he was acting in because he knew exactly how a guy being stabbed in the back sounded and the director's direction was unrealistic.

Peter Jackson and Lord of the Rings

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

You've got to admit, you are kind of implausible

During the filming of The Great Escape, there was John Sturges turning away Donald Pleasence's suggestions until someone informed him that Pleasence had actually been a POW in a Nazi POW camp, at which point Sturges welcomed any advice Pleasence could give him

Davros1 has a new favorite as of 22:53 on Dec 5, 2017

spog
Aug 7, 2004

It's your own bloody fault.

BioEnchanted posted:

Christopher Lee is even more badass than the badasses he is famous for playing in the movies.

Ms Adequate
Oct 30, 2011

Baby even when I'm dead and gone
You will always be my only one, my only one
When the night is calling
No matter who I become
You will always be my only one, my only one, my only one
When the night is calling

spog posted:

Christopher Lee is even more badass than the badasses he is famous for playing in the movies.

If/when they make a biopic they'll have to do it Audie Murphy style and cut out half the poo poo he really did because it's so insanely unbelievable.

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

Mister Adequate posted:

If/when they make a biopic they'll have to do it Audie Murphy style and cut out half the poo poo he really did because it's so insanely unbelievable.

I still can't believe half of the things Audie Murphy did and lived through. I think he actually wanted to die heroically in battle and just kept on living despite his best efforts.

Mad Doctor Cthulhu
Mar 3, 2008

Solice Kirsk posted:

I still can't believe half of the things Audie Murphy did and lived through. I think he actually wanted to die heroically in battle and just kept on living despite his best efforts.

Maybe he knew James Doohan and figured he had to outdo that mad Canadian bastard.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
How about Adrian Carton de Wiart? The first paragraph of his Wikipedia entry is:

quote:

Lieutenant General Sir Adrian Paul Ghislain Carton de Wiart[1] VC, KBE, CB, CMG, DSO (5 May 1880 – 5 June 1963) was a British Army officer born of Belgian and Irish parents, and recipient of the Victoria Cross, the highest military decoration awarded for valour "in the face of the enemy" in various Commonwealth countries.[2] He served in the Boer War, First World War, and Second World War; was shot in the face, head, stomach, ankle, leg, hip, and ear; survived two plane crashes; tunnelled out of a prisoner-of-war camp; and tore off his own fingers when a doctor refused to amputate them. Describing his experiences in the First World War, he wrote, "Frankly I had enjoyed the war."[3]

Volcott
Mar 30, 2010

People paying American dollars to let other people know they didn't agree with someone's position on something is the lifeblood of these forums.
Murph, who stood on top of a burning tank and machinegunned like 500 Germans, was rad as hell. He also had an amount of medals you usually only see on third-world dictators.

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Your life and your quest end here.

DACK FAYDEN posted:

That doesn't actually make it funny though.

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

Audie Murphy killed like 250 enemies on his own. That's a 250/1 kill to death ratio lifetime.

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos

Aesop Poprock posted:

:nms: that poo poo, Jesus Christ. I'm going to need to lie down.

Pentaro
May 5, 2013

Sunswipe posted:

Would a prime time TV show in the 70s have been allowed to have a theme song extolling the benefits of suicide? Hell, would it now?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=veBokK7K9vE

fartknocker
Oct 28, 2012

Damn it, this always happens. I think I'm gonna score, and then I never score. It's not fair.

Wedge Regret

Volcott posted:

Murph, who stood on top of a burning tank and machinegunned like 500 Germans, was rad as hell. He also had an amount of medals you usually only see on third-world dictators.

And then plays himself in the movie about it all, which blew my mind when I was a kid.

TheKennedys
Sep 23, 2006

By my hand, I will take you from this godforsaken internet
I'm not quoting that MASH clip because gently caress that but that scene seriously fucks with me in a way very little else does. I can't even think about it without feeling an impending panic attack, it is one of the worst things ever laid onto film and I say that as someone who adores MASH. BJ's mustache is the dividing line between Good MASH and Weak MASH, I believe in this theory. Early MASH was great if incredibly dated, later it got really up its own rear end and turbo-serious when they let Alan Alda start being artistic about things. I will totally go watch most of 1 through 4 or 5 pretty regularly though, particularly the Col Flagg episodes, those were always great.

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos

TheKennedys posted:

I'm not quoting that MASH clip because gently caress that but that scene seriously fucks with me in a way very little else does. I can't even think about it without feeling an impending panic attack, it is one of the worst things ever laid onto film and I say that as someone who adores MASH. BJ's mustache is the dividing line between Good MASH and Weak MASH, I believe in this theory. Early MASH was great if incredibly dated, later it got really up its own rear end and turbo-serious when they let Alan Alda start being artistic about things. I will totally go watch most of 1 through 4 or 5 pretty regularly though, particularly the Col Flagg episodes, those were always great.

I was literally crying and then stopping and then crying for more than half an hour after watching that. And this was on TELEVISION!? And people didn't sue?!

Garrand
Dec 28, 2012

Rhino, you did this to me!

I've never watched an episode of MASH and had never seen that scene. I feel like it could have had more power behind it but I don't think Alda was quite able to sell it. I don't know what I would change, exactly, but to my modern mind I don't think it had quite the as strong an impact as they were hoping for. Of course that's just seeing that scene standing alone with no context around it and having no emotional connection with the character so :shrug:

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

Garrand posted:

I've never watched an episode of MASH and had never seen that scene. I feel like it could have had more power behind it but I don't think Alda was quite able to sell it. I don't know what I would change, exactly, but to my modern mind I don't think it had quite the as strong an impact as they were hoping for. Of course that's just seeing that scene standing alone with no context around it and having no emotional connection with the character so :shrug:

It's built up more through the episode, but you're right, Alda really couldn't sell it at all.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Krispy Wafer
Jul 26, 2002

I shouted out "Free the exposed 67"
But they stood on my hair and told me I was fat

Grimey Drawer

Solice Kirsk posted:

It's built up more through the episode, but you're right, Alda really couldn't sell it at all.

It's amazing how emotional the scene was even with Alda's horrible emoting.

Imagine that scene with a good actor like Leonardo or Woody Harrison. And yes, I'm thinking about that scene in Zombie Land now.