Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

wolrah
May 8, 2006
what?

Judge Schnoopy posted:

Except the loving receiver hook button. Which breaks all the time on nearly every 7941 and 7961 I've come across.

An indestructible phone doesn't do any good if users can't pick up calls.

That must have changed on the 41/61s, I didn't deal much with those because they were a pain in the rear end to get working on non-Cisco PBXes, so we moved to primarily pushing Polycom at that point.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

Magnetic hook switches are the future

falz
Jan 29, 2005

01100110 01100001 01101100 01111010
Once you figured out how to get the SIP image on them and tcpdump enough to figure out which files they're looking for on your tftp server, they work great!

Also the hook on those was a tiny reversible piece of plastic, surely you could just replace just that part.

Re: used market Cisco- this is a much better idea than buying Cisco rebranded Linksys.

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006
Turning the light on the darkest places, you and I know we got to face this now. We got to face this now.

Most of our phones that break are in our manufacturing plants and people beat the poo poo out of them.

Partycat
Oct 25, 2004

The hookswitch in the 7941/7961 sucks my rear end. They are also subject to easily cracked solder joints on the Ethernet daughter board. The 7941G-GE model had a higher failure rate in my environment. Then the wonderful new 79x2/79x5 models arrived with the ol' "flash memory fails and maybe it will turn off some day and never work again". Less frequent but still annoying. The 7940s and 7960s don't really break, but they will probably fall off again soon.

I've had this debate with GreenKnight elsewise but, yes, you can buy 7900 series phones for dirt. They're worth dirt and should be thrown away and especially not put anywhere where they can become a new IoT compromise vector. The 7945/7965 will be end of support in January, there's no more software, and no more patching. Lotta little cheap Java computers that are good for tinkering, but, really no longer appropriate for a typical enterprise environment.

I think I posted before but I ended up with a massive problem with the 79x1 models I support, and a lesser issue with the 79x2/79x5 models. It ends up being something regarding some type of traffic that the latter models just don't like and chug on, the 79x1s become unusable garbage until physically power cycled. The audio breaks up, the UI lags or fails to function. TAC support opened on this months before the failure kept wasting time with "Collect the logs" and "I don't see anything in the logs" to the point of us taking videos. Support ended and TAC eventually confirmed if you send more than 1 billion packets through/at the phone something in the hardware overflows or breaks (state machine?) and the whole thing goes to poo poo. In that case it didn't matter that the phone's management was on a separate VLAN, it was the nature of traffic flowing through it from other networks that broke it. Dumb, but, also not practical to fix in any way. I started to go down the road of setting up Energywise but that is a pain to overlay into an environment that doesn't have it. Instead we re-segmented other data traffic, did ping sweeps and manual reboots, and eventually started replacing hardware. For the cost of the time spent on the issue, it wasn't worth it to do anything but replace the phone.

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006
Turning the light on the darkest places, you and I know we got to face this now. We got to face this now.

My only hassle was upgrading the firmware but I got it to work. The hang up hook yeah is poo poo and I’ve had issues with the stand on phones forever.

Partycat
Oct 25, 2004

So there are three tricks to that depending on how much fooling you want to do.

All of them involve opening the phone, which are the two phillips screws under the two foam rubber feet on the rear. Then, you sort of pop the case at the bottom and pull down while prying a bit. It is way easy to shatter the tabs that hold the top of the case together.

Next, you can swap the hookswitch from a working one, it's a cable, a phillips screw, and the stupid paperclip spring. You used to be able to buy the boards online.

You can bend the stupid paperclip which will rejuvenate the phone.

You can also buy a small washer that goes in there which will space out the "self cleaning" button that also works. I can get a part number for that if you need it and it does work.

While you're in there note that you can swap the Ethernet boards between like models, same with displays, speakers, etc.

This is not the case for the 79x2/79x5 models, where it is a single board and an optical hookswitch. Which does have a field notice out that if there's too bright a light nearby that leaks into the case it won't work right.

Bigass Moth
Mar 6, 2004

I joined the #RXT REVOLUTION.
:boom:
he knows...

Partycat posted:

The hookswitch in the 7941/7961 sucks my rear end. They are also subject to easily cracked solder joints on the Ethernet daughter board. The 7941G-GE model had a higher failure rate in my environment. Then the wonderful new 79x2/79x5 models arrived with the ol' "flash memory fails and maybe it will turn off some day and never work again". Less frequent but still annoying. The 7940s and 7960s don't really break, but they will probably fall off again soon.

I've had this debate with GreenKnight elsewise but, yes, you can buy 7900 series phones for dirt. They're worth dirt and should be thrown away and especially not put anywhere where they can become a new IoT compromise vector. The 7945/7965 will be end of support in January, there's no more software, and no more patching. Lotta little cheap Java computers that are good for tinkering, but, really no longer appropriate for a typical enterprise environment.

I think I posted before but I ended up with a massive problem with the 79x1 models I support, and a lesser issue with the 79x2/79x5 models. It ends up being something regarding some type of traffic that the latter models just don't like and chug on, the 79x1s become unusable garbage until physically power cycled. The audio breaks up, the UI lags or fails to function. TAC support opened on this months before the failure kept wasting time with "Collect the logs" and "I don't see anything in the logs" to the point of us taking videos. Support ended and TAC eventually confirmed if you send more than 1 billion packets through/at the phone something in the hardware overflows or breaks (state machine?) and the whole thing goes to poo poo. In that case it didn't matter that the phone's management was on a separate VLAN, it was the nature of traffic flowing through it from other networks that broke it. Dumb, but, also not practical to fix in any way. I started to go down the road of setting up Energywise but that is a pain to overlay into an environment that doesn't have it. Instead we re-segmented other data traffic, did ping sweeps and manual reboots, and eventually started replacing hardware. For the cost of the time spent on the issue, it wasn't worth it to do anything but replace the phone.

Please tell me there is an official bug for this because it sounds like a nightmare. What were you doing that 1 billion packets were going through the phone?

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

Maybe the phones were just on for a long time.

I can see a thin client wired into the switch port on the phone pushing a billion packets in not too long.

Partycat
Oct 25, 2004

Bigass Moth posted:

Please tell me there is an official bug for this because it sounds like a nightmare. What were you doing that 1 billion packets were going through the phone?

I have the information from TAC on how it's a hardware issue but they waited until after the support window ended on the devices to conclude the cases and did not issue a bug ID.

The TAC case proved that if you jammed the phones full of traffic they'd break. On my end the issue was that I'd power cycle the device and it could break in an hour - and it wasn't sucking down a billion packets. I was convinced it actually had something to do with the rate of traffic over some interval that was breaking everything. I also suspected that it was something either oversized multicast or L2 - since we were able to prove that the voice VLAN on its own didn't cause any issues, but, having a data VLAN out to the phone with ambient traffic was enough to break it.

So, no not really I just have my case ID.

And yes it sucked major eggs to work on that issue. We could pull the DSP and Ethernet stats from the device, and traffic captures, to show that the traffic from the switch to the phone was fine, and the traffic from the phone to the PC port with SPAN enabled was fine, but the traffic from the internal Ethernet "port2" or whatever went to the CPU was not fine and things were getting lost between there and the jvm. That took ages to get TAC to stop asking me to collect packet captures from some remote firewall or the UCM since they would never actually look at the information on hand. Hence the video recordings, phone console port dumps, like 3 or 4 simultaneous capture sessions, all for more-or-less someone to go, yeah, that's broke oh well.

I forgot the suggestion that we just separate the phones and computers, which, since that requires more wiring and switch ports replacing hardware was cheaper. That's a whole other story, but, the conclusion I can draw from that is that they have a large enough market share that if you're running 10 - 20k phones you don't have enough clout to count for much at this point, you have to be making a new purchase and wheedle discounts, or convince Cisco you will seriously consider ripping their stuff out for another vendor and then maybe they come around.

Partycat fucked around with this message at 04:30 on Nov 24, 2017

Bigass Moth
Mar 6, 2004

I joined the #RXT REVOLUTION.
:boom:
he knows...
That really sucks. Where I work whenever a 79xx has issues we just replace it with an 8841. Only about 4000 79xx left!

Jimbot
Jul 22, 2008

I need help with ACLs, wildcard masks and determining if an address should be permitted or denied based off of it.

I'm currently reading the chapter in Routing & Switching course on netacad. I thought I had a handle on it but then in the activity part this happened:

What am I not understanding? I thought 0.0.255.255 meant meant that the first two addresses had to match up exactly while the last two could be anything. Am I having a genius moment and not seeing something here? Did Cisco screw up?
Looking up these things online is tough because a lot of the content I've found are how to easily find your Wildcard Mask. Honestly, taking these classes made me realize that I wish IPv4 would burn to the ground and IPv6 takes over everything.

Any help would be appreciated. Normally, this wouldn't be so bad but because no one wants to learn networking around these parts I had to take an accelerated class (because that's the only class that received the bare minimum of students to prevent it from being cancelled), I'm under enormous pressure to learn this stuff in a short amount of time before the semester is over.

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

It's a permit ACL and your second octet is different to the one in the rule.

Methanar
Sep 26, 2013

by the sex ghost

Jimbot posted:

I need help with ACLs, wildcard masks and determining if an address should be permitted or denied based off of it.

I'm currently reading the chapter in Routing & Switching course on netacad. I thought I had a handle on it but then in the activity part this happened:

What am I not understanding? I thought 0.0.255.255 meant meant that the first two addresses had to match up exactly while the last two could be anything. Am I having a genius moment and not seeing something here? Did Cisco screw up?
Looking up these things online is tough because a lot of the content I've found are how to easily find your Wildcard Mask. Honestly, taking these classes made me realize that I wish IPv4 would burn to the ground and IPv6 takes over everything.

Any help would be appreciated. Normally, this wouldn't be so bad but because no one wants to learn networking around these parts I had to take an accelerated class (because that's the only class that received the bare minimum of students to prevent it from being cancelled), I'm under enormous pressure to learn this stuff in a short amount of time before the semester is over.

172.16.0.0 0.0.255.255 does not cover 172.17.0.0

0.254.255.255 or /15 is what you'll need to use. Do you understand the actual binary math behind wildcard masks and subnet masks, or have you just memorized that 0.0.255.255 = free for all with the last two digits.

Methanar fucked around with this message at 19:56 on Nov 29, 2017

Jimbot
Jul 22, 2008

Methanar posted:

172.16.0.0 0.0.255.255 does not cover 172.17.0.0

0.254.255.255 or /15 is what you'll need to use. Do you understand the actual binary math behind wildcard masks and subnet masks, or have you just memorized that 0.0.255.255 = free for all with the last two digits.

I think we may have gotten our signals crossed here or all this is just flying over my head. I probably should have posted the entire activity to give it some context:

It wants me to identify if the address provided would be permitted or denied based off of the ACL statement. That said, maybe my math is completely wrong on this. I will admit it has been a while since I did subnetting. I can write it all out in binary, but I'm not sure what you are asking. I'm not trying to be obtuse here either. This is the first section of this chapter and it gives me about four or so pages of explanation with not much binary math used. The most it does is show me the network range of the wildcard mask.

Methanar
Sep 26, 2013

by the sex ghost

Jimbot posted:

I think we may have gotten our signals crossed here or all this is just flying over my head. I probably should have posted the entire activity to give it some context:

It wants me to identify if the address provided would be permitted or denied based off of the ACL statement. That said, maybe my math is completely wrong on this. I will admit it has been a while since I did subnetting. I can write it all out in binary, but I'm not sure what you are asking. I'm not trying to be obtuse here either. This is the first section of this chapter and it gives me about four or so pages of explanation with not much binary math used. The most it does is show me the network range of the wildcard mask.

quote:

What am I not understanding? I thought 0.0.255.255 meant meant that the first two addresses had to match up exactly while the last two could be anything. Am I having a genius moment and not seeing something here?

I think the confusion is that you aren't seeing that the second octet is different between the two. In the first column its 172.16 and in the second its 172.17

quote:

I thought 0.0.255.255 meant meant that the first two addresses had to match up exactly while the last two could be anything.

Your comment here is correct. The situation is that the first two octets do not match up exactly

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

Methanar posted:

I think the confusion is that you aren't seeing that the second octet is different between the two. In the first column its 172.16 and in the second its 172.17

Your comment here is correct. The situation is that the first two octets do not match up exactly

To clarify for him. That means the ACL in question is a PERMIT ACL if you want to block it using that rule. You end up implicitly denying (assuming a DENY any any at the end of your list) any address that doesn't match a PERMIT rule.

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

Given that nothing is known about any implicit rule, I'd have to say that the outcome of the rule in question is to deny traffic, and the question was answered correctly.

SamDabbers
May 26, 2003

Thanks Ants posted:

Given that nothing is known...

Cisco test questions are rife with unstated assumptions

Jimbot
Jul 22, 2008

It's the first chapter on ASLs. I'm just being introduced to them, so that's why I'm struggling. If it's a mistake on Cisco's part then that makes it even worse. If it's a mistake on my part I want to understand what I did wrong. Luckily, I can get some lab time in between other classes tomorrow so I can ask my professor directly.

It's just frustrating.

Methanar
Sep 26, 2013

by the sex ghost

You have traffic destined for 172.17.0.5.
You have the ACL in place to permit
code:
172.16.0.0 0.0.255.255
Since 172.17.0.5 does NOT match that permit ACL, it is not permitted. There may be more rules the ACL that will eventually allow this, so it goes down the chain to the next ACL in order. In this case there are no more explictly defined rules, that means it hits the implicit deny any any rule.

In an ACL, any traffic that is not explicitly allowed, is dropped.

The answer to the question is deny.

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

Jimbot answered with deny from the looks of the earlier screenshot though, and it was marked wrong. The UI of the test is shockingly poor but I think that's what's going on.

Jimbot
Jul 22, 2008

Yes, that's exactly what happened. It's why I made a stink of it on here. That's why I had self doubt because I understand this stuff at least enough to know that if it were configured that way it'd Deny that IP address.

Another one that's throwing me through a loop is the 192.168.15.5 address (third one down). The math on that one does not add up either but that, too, says "Deny" is incorrect. It's been a while since I posted in here originally, so I've moved on. But I still have to learn this stuff and if Cisco can't even get this material correct in these Activities then it makes it all the harder. I mean, what else have they screwed up?

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

Jimbot posted:

I mean, what else have they screwed up?

https://www.cisco.com/c/en/us/support/docs/field-notices/636/fn63697.html

FatCow
Apr 22, 2002
I MAP THE FUCK OUT OF PEOPLE
See my post a few pages ago where their top of the line edge router can't actually be racked properly in a 19" rack with the rails it ships with?

Partycat
Oct 25, 2004

Is that an actual Cisco prep application or some other vendors?

And yeah the exams tend to sometimes make some assumptions which you can blow by out thinking the question. They include a box though where you can shout into it about why the question is bad and maybe they wipe that one off the test for you - or maybe not.

ACLs are cool as sometimes they are used to mark traffic and can work opposite of they way you would think depending on what you're trying to do.

Jimbot
Jul 22, 2008

It's an activity that's part of the netacad online course. I'm surprised it works in Chrome because their online tests still use Flash and Javascript (if there's a question that requires you to use packet tracer). It just took me by surprise since the track record for the activities has been perfect so far, this is the first major problem I've had with it. A number typo dealing with IP ranges makes a huge difference.

I learned very early on is that you should at least read the question several times before answering. Their quizzes are more straight-forward and test you on knowledge (they're not weighed into your grade) on tests they like to throw you through a loop by wording them in a particular way. If I got something wrong it was often because I misread the question or misunderstand what it was asking.

Nothing against ACLs. Doing them brings me back to subnetting, which was long and tedious garbage.

Jimbot fucked around with this message at 02:32 on Dec 1, 2017

ate shit on live tv
Feb 15, 2004

by Azathoth
I know we have some Palo Alto folks here. I've got a question about dual BGP, Local-AS and NAT.

So I have two providers, BT and Colt. BT provides a public /29 and their router sits on it and so does the Palo Alto Firewall.

i.e.

BT Space: 7.0.0.0/29
Their Router: 7.0.0.5
Our Router: 7.0.0.1/29

We have a PBX with a static NAT on 7.0.0.2 and it works fine.

Colt is a bit different.

We have a /30 transit link with them that we run BGP over.
Transit: 7.1.1.0/30
Their router: 7.1.1.2
Our router: 7.1.1.1/30
They also have allocated a /29 for us:
7.1.2.0/29

We want to create another Static NAT for our PBX on the /29 block and obviously advertise that /29 out to Colt.

On juniper that can be accomplished by creating a discard route and setting up a NAT pool. However an PanOS the discard route apparently occurs before the natting is applied.

code:
fw01.lon(active)> show counter global filter severity drop packet-filter yes

Global counters:
Elapsed time since last sampling: 0.921 seconds

name                                   value     rate severity  category  aspect    description
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
flow_policy_nofwd                         19        1 drop      flow      session   Session setup:
no destination zone from forwarding
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Total counters shown: 1

Sepist
Dec 26, 2005

FUCK BITCHES, ROUTE PACKETS

Gravy Boat 2k
https://live.paloaltonetworks.com/t5/Configuration-Articles/BGP-Redistribution-Rules-to-Explicitly-Advertise-Host-Routes-and/ta-p/63123

ate shit on live tv
Feb 15, 2004

by Azathoth

Cool.

Now I wonder if there is a way to make Palo Alto do the long lost art of "local-as" for it's BGP configurations, or maybe BGP-SNMP MIBs.

Sepist
Dec 26, 2005

Gravy Boat 2k
The Palo Alto equivalent to local-as is you would need the interface in its own virtual router so it can have it's own AS number. The only issue with that is it complicates your routing table as you now have to forward packets out of the default vr when going through that interface.

Sepist fucked around with this message at 23:19 on Dec 1, 2017

ate shit on live tv
Feb 15, 2004

by Azathoth

Sepist posted:

The Palo Alto equivalent to local-as is you would need the interface in its own virtual router so it can have it's own AS number. The only issue with that is it complicates your routing table as you now have to forward packets out of the default vr when going through that interface.

Yea that was the work around we used, it just seems so inelegant and blah....

Sepist
Dec 26, 2005

Gravy Boat 2k
Terminate your BGP peers on a real router? ;) I love the Palo Alto's, one of my favorite pieces of hardware to work on, but I hate using them for routing. I always try to sell a customer a router if their network is using something other than static routing but that drat budget always seems to get in the way.

ate shit on live tv
Feb 15, 2004

by Azathoth

Sepist posted:

Terminate your BGP peers on a real router? ;) I love the Palo Alto's, one of my favorite pieces of hardware to work on, but I hate using them for routing. I always try to sell a customer a router if their network is using something other than static routing but that drat budget always seems to get in the way.

Yea we usually use 300 series SRXs for our office routers, unfortuantely the group that actually bought this equipment decided to ignore our standards and do their own thing, so now we have a non-standard office setup and have gotten to figure out all kinds of fun limitations :/

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

SRXs are pretty inexpensive so you must be close to saving no money once your time has been accounted for.

SamDabbers
May 26, 2003

Hell, the "no budget" option of VyOS on an old server would probably save you time and aggravation compared to trying to make the firewall do routing.

Elem7
Apr 12, 2003
der
Dinosaur Gum
I have what seems like a dumb question but no one I've asked in person seems to know the answer and nothing obvious came up Googling it. At what point does Cisco actually stop releasing updated firmware versions for a switch?

I ask because my office has still has a number of older switches which according to Cisco are end of life and, by my reading of the EOL announcement, shouldn't of had any new compatible software released for over 2 years. That seems simple enough but when I actually browse through the available downloads for those models there've been a number of compatible iOS releases since then including one just 2 months ago. What gives? Is Cisco just ignoring their own announced plans? Is it just a CYA to let them drop support blame free at a later date and encourage early replacements?

My office is fortunate enough that if we point to network infrastructure and say it's no longer eligible to receive security patches we can get funding to replace it but I'm not sure that's the case and frankly it's otherwise not worth the time to do so since our oldest switches are typically just servicing a few devices at minor outbuildings.

Methanar
Sep 26, 2013

by the sex ghost
Does anyone have strong opinions on Calico vs Flannel for on-prem Kubernetes?

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006

Elem7 posted:

I have what seems like a dumb question but no one I've asked in person seems to know the answer and nothing obvious came up Googling it. At what point does Cisco actually stop releasing updated firmware versions for a switch?

I ask because my office has still has a number of older switches which according to Cisco are end of life and, by my reading of the EOL announcement, shouldn't of had any new compatible software released for over 2 years. That seems simple enough but when I actually browse through the available downloads for those models there've been a number of compatible iOS releases since then including one just 2 months ago. What gives? Is Cisco just ignoring their own announced plans? Is it just a CYA to let them drop support blame free at a later date and encourage early replacements?

My office is fortunate enough that if we point to network infrastructure and say it's no longer eligible to receive security patches we can get funding to replace it but I'm not sure that's the case and frankly it's otherwise not worth the time to do so since our oldest switches are typically just servicing a few devices at minor outbuildings.

I don't have an answer to your question but we don't give a poo poo if our old switches no longer receive firmware updates. Edge switches/routers? Yes, absolutely. But the 48 port switch in our manufacturing facility that just has phones connected to it? Don't care.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

tortilla_chip
Jun 13, 2007

k-partite
If you want to extend multitenancy/network separation down to the container host I'd go with Flannel.