Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
frajaq
Jan 30, 2009

#acolyte GM of 2014

Not gonna lie I hope a lot of the ship stuff is really optional, don't want to learn nautical stuff to progress the story.

I'm buying an RPG not a Naval Warfare Simulator dammit

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

rope kid
Feb 3, 2001

Warte nur! Balde
Ruhest du auch.

Entropy238 posted:

Can you give us any more info on what a ship duel might be like from a mechanical perspective?
We're probably going to do a large update on them in the near future.

Compared to the stronghold system in Pillars 1, much more time and effort has gone into the ship, crew, and ship duel systems.

Without going into too much before we can show everything in detail, I can say that you should not expect a real-time or RTwP system where you're moving around little ships on a stretch of ocean. A not-quite-accurate approximation would be something like a turn-based FTL.

Of course, if you close to board, you will get the deck-to-deck combats that we've shown before in videos. Any damage you've done to the enemy ship's crew (or they to yours) gets carried over into the deck-to-deck fight.

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound
thought:

Does anyone know a good web app for generating line graphs?

I was trying to figure out how to compare the DPS-per-point of Per, Dex, and Might/Resolve/Str and I realized that it seems like it would break down into three graphs:

1) a nice linear percentage graph for Might/Res/Str where each point gives 3% more damage flat

2) some kind of (logarithmic?) curve for Dex as each successive point of Dex gave slightly less and less return on DPS as you approached the theoretical minimum possible action speed;

3) some sort of unpredictably weird curve for Per as you crossed the various break point thresholds (misses to grazes, grazes to hits, hits to crits, etc.), probably with strongly diminishing returns after you are reliably hitting with every attack.

So is there any tool out there that I could plug the various equations into and get those graphs?

Wicked Them Beats
Apr 1, 2007

Moralists don't really *have* beliefs. Sometimes they stumble on one, like on a child's toy left on the carpet. The toy must be put away immediately. And the child reprimanded.

I hope there are lots of dialogue options that let me get basic nautical terms wrong. "Captain, we need to steer hard to port!" "That's... uh... that's to the right??"

Khizan
Jul 30, 2013

Scoss posted:

I simultaneously recognize that Battle Brothers has an economical and effective character art solution that makes complete sense for the size of their team and the needs of their game, while also feeling like the end result is ugly and viscerally offputting, like armies of funkopops and pez dispensers wobbling around in a field.

This is how I feel about it. No matter how much praise it gets, I look at the screenshots and go "Nope, no way I am going to play that game long enough to justify a loving $30 game, because that is ugly as poo poo."

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound

frajaq posted:

Not gonna lie I hope a lot of the ship stuff is really optional, don't want to learn nautical stuff to progress the story.

If they don't simulate the weather-gage and tacking mechanics, my timbers will be shivered

my timbers are pre-shivered

Hieronymous Alloy fucked around with this message at 17:41 on Dec 4, 2017

Entropy238
Oct 21, 2010

Fallen Rib

rope kid posted:

We're probably going to do a large update on them in the near future.

Compared to the stronghold system in Pillars 1, much more time and effort has gone into the ship, crew, and ship duel systems.

Without going into too much before we can show everything in detail, I can say that you should not expect a real-time or RTwP system where you're moving around little ships on a stretch of ocean. A not-quite-accurate approximation would be something like a turn-based FTL.

Of course, if you close to board, you will get the deck-to-deck combats that we've shown before in videos. Any damage you've done to the enemy ship's crew (or they to yours) gets carried over into the deck-to-deck fight.

Sounds like it's gonna own thanks

rope kid
Feb 3, 2001

Warte nur! Balde
Ruhest du auch.

frajaq posted:

The easiest way to avoid ship duels is to fly false colors. If you do get into a duel, the quickest way to end it quickly is either to flee or to head toward the enemy ship as quickly as possible to board.

Iretep
Nov 10, 2009
Personally i hope i can take the opposing captains heads as trophies and collect them. Or hats are fine too.

ovenboy
Nov 16, 2014

rope kid posted:

The easiest way to avoid ship duels is to fly false colors. If you do get into a duel, the quickest way to end it quickly is either to flee or to head toward the enemy ship as quickly as possible to board.
"Never mind the maneuvers, just go straight at them."

Hieronymous Alloy posted:

thought:

Does anyone know a good web app for generating line graphs?

I was trying to figure out how to compare the DPS-per-point of Per, Dex, and Might/Resolve/Str and I realized that it seems like it would break down into three graphs:

1) a nice linear percentage graph for Might/Res/Str where each point gives 3% more damage flat

2) some kind of (logarithmic?) curve for Dex as each successive point of Dex gave slightly less and less return on DPS as you approached the theoretical minimum possible action speed;

3) some sort of unpredictably weird curve for Per as you crossed the various break point thresholds (misses to grazes, grazes to hits, hits to crits, etc.), probably with strongly diminishing returns after you are reliably hitting with every attack.

So is there any tool out there that I could plug the various equations into and get those graphs?
Google Spreadsheets>insert>chart>line graph

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Morbid Hound

ovenboy posted:

Google Spreadsheets>insert>chart>line graph

Thanks, should've realized google spreadsheets would have that function. I'll dive in there.

bongwizzard
May 19, 2005

Then one day I meet a man,
He came to me and said,
"Hard work good and hard work fine,
but first take care of head"
Grimey Drawer

TheAnomaly posted:

you can shoot anything in the grey boxes. Dudes don't block fire directly, but if you shoot at someone with dudes or objects next to them and between the two of you, you get a massively reduced chance to hit and can hit one of those objects instead. They will be marked with a little red shield if you can hit them instead of your target.

If you are directly behind dudes, you shoot over them without any chance of hitting them, even if you're shooting a dude they're in melee with already.

In general, with shooty-mans, you want them standing right behind your line of stabby mans. Possibly with a guy with a polearm standing between them (pikes, billhooks, at some point you'll get a banner and that functions as one as well).

Wow, thanks for all that! I was trying to keep my shootbros a few hexes back and couldn't figure out how to shoot over or around without taking a few turns to flank.

I can't decide if I like the B-Bros weeble-people better than the Dungeon Rats blocky dudes. The B-Bros are far prettier but I think even the little bit of animation helps get me pumped up for some kill-n-loot.

mbt
Aug 13, 2012

rope kid posted:

:captainpop: my very own false flag operation

frajaq
Jan 30, 2009

#acolyte GM of 2014

rope kid posted:

wait so there will always be a way to "brute force" to turn the ship duel into a straight tactical fight with my characters, I don't have to engage in cannon duels/ship maneuvers? I'm down with that

Entropy238
Oct 21, 2010

Fallen Rib
Playing as the scourge of the seas around the deadfire archipelago is legit one of the things that could get me to do a cruel/aggressive playthrough without feeling bad about it.

mbt
Aug 13, 2012

I hope you can see boats moving around the seas in the full game. The beta ocean feels so empty graphically, if I saw trader / enemy ships moving around that would be awesome

Wizard Styles
Aug 6, 2014

level 15 disillusionist
I don't think there's a no clip cheat, is there?
I've shelved my party of 5 Beckoning Wildrhymers for now because the issue of party members getting pushed into spots that normally aren't fully accessible and subsequently being unable to move out of them has come up a couple of times now. It's easy to deal with when it's one of the Wildrhymers (Bounding Boots and done) but when it's an animal companion that's a reload. And my fat stupid pig just keeps getting shoved halfway into cracks in the ground. Who knew that having an army of 26 summons, 5 animal companions and 5 Wildrhymers could possibly be a bad thing?

I got far enough - first floor of the ruins mostly cleared - that playing this gimmick party using a broken subclass any further won't really bring anything new, though.

Some observations from that playthrough:

Both animal companions and summons suffer from the same lack of information that they did in PoE1.
Is there any way to make ACs faux party members with their own screens and all? There's already a way to toggle between the Ranger and AC animations in the inventory screen. At some point I really want to see how much damage those guys are doing. Also, an easy way to just bring up all their stats at a glance would be helpful.
One issue with summons is that I kinda know what I get but not entirely. Having a little stat block listing basic stuff like defenses, DR, weapon with penetration etc. integrated into the invocation description, possibly as its own tooltip that can be brought up by clicking at the summon name, would be nice.
The much bigger issue is that once the summons are there I need to count the seconds they stay for myself. There really should be some kind of Summoned status showing up in their in-combat tooltip showing how much time I've got left. (Right now I just check my Wildrhymers and re-summon just in case once I see that they've got two phrases to burn, which actually mostly works out for Beckoners.)

The summons available in the beta's level range have some problems with high DR. If adding additional summoning invocations is on the table, that seems like a potential niche. Of course, there's also just Hel-Hyraf. Which, in retrospect, I definitely should have taken on one of my guys even though it's unreliable on PotD. But, by taking Hel-Hyraf, I would have given up on either summon or phrase variety.
I keep repeating myself saying that the current way and rate of getting (active) abilities leads to characters with way too few options in combat, but, well, it keeps coming up.

The enemy AI can actually deal with facing an army of 36 and still prioritizes targets fairly well. What it can't deal with is 12 skeletons that can engage and get Disengagement Attacks when enemies try to run past them. Disengagement attacks don't feel powerful individually but when it's a horde of summons getting them it adds up and the AI's way of deciding whether or not to take Disengagement Attacks seems fairly simple and unable to factor in other enemies (that are capable of Engagement) close enough to intercept them on their way to whoever they're trying to get to. At least that's what it looked like when I drowned the world in skeletons, which admittedly is a pretty extreme thing to subject the AI to.

The Stag seems weaker than the other ACs right now. Might be a PotD thing since it needs to crit, but even factoring that in I don't think it's as good as the other ones.

The Heal Companion ability takes too long to cast and then again too long to fully take effect. And then it's not even doing that much. Conceptually, considering that the power source of the Ranger is the Bond between them and the AC, I kinda feel like it should be usable by both the Ranger and the AC and should heal both. At least that would make it easier to use, especially for Rangers with slower weapons.

Random bug: When I leveled up to 7, all my party members' secondary hair color turned to white. This was reproducible for this save. The white in question may have been my main character's original secondary hair color getting passed on to every other party member or it might have just been 255-in-all-channels white, I can't tell:

Entropy238 posted:

Playing as the scourge of the seas around the deadfire archipelago is legit one of the things that could get me to do a cruel/aggressive playthrough without feeling bad about it.
I'm almost certainly going to max Aggressive in my interactions with the Vailian Trading Company alone.

Is making prisoners walk the plank considered Cruel?

Iretep
Nov 10, 2009

Wizard Styles posted:

Is making prisoners walk the plank considered Cruel?

no let that be the rational choice. scaphism is the cruel one.

rope kid
Feb 3, 2001

Warte nur! Balde
Ruhest du auch.

Iretep posted:

Personally i hope i can take the opposing captains heads as trophies and collect them. Or hats are fine too.
Defeating an enemy ship gives you a unique triumph (a small flag) that corresponds to the captain.

frajaq posted:

wait so there will always be a way to "brute force" to turn the ship duel into a straight tactical fight with my characters, I don't have to engage in cannon duels/ship maneuvers? I'm down with that
Well, if you can reach the ship, yes. If you send the Defiant headlong at a Rauataian junk broadsiding you, you may not make it.

Meyers-Briggs Testicle posted:

I hope you can see boats moving around the seas in the full game. The beta ocean feels so empty graphically, if I saw trader / enemy ships moving around that would be awesome
That is something we're working on right now.

Wizard Styles posted:

The enemy AI can actually deal with facing an army of 36 and still prioritizes targets fairly well. What it can't deal with is 12 skeletons that can engage and get Disengagement Attacks when enemies try to run past them. Disengagement attacks don't feel powerful individually but when it's a horde of summons getting them it adds up and the AI's way of deciding whether or not to take Disengagement Attacks seems fairly simple and unable to factor in other enemies (that are capable of Engagement) close enough to intercept them on their way to whoever they're trying to get to. At least that's what it looked like when I drowned the world in skeletons, which admittedly is a pretty extreme thing to subject the AI to.
Skeleton summons were very OP in the backer beta release. They will be tuned down significantly in the next patch.

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Morbid Hound

rope kid posted:

That is something we're working on right now.

I understand why you changed it, but I really liked the little "miniatures on a base" version of the ship in the map screen that we saw in the trailer prior to the backer beta. The new version in the beta without the base, ok, less gamey, more realistic, stronger immersion, but somehow less charming.

Wizard Styles
Aug 6, 2014

level 15 disillusionist

rope kid posted:

Skeleton summons were very OP in the backer beta release. They will be tuned down significantly in the next patch.
Oh, I know. You put me up to this bullshit in the first place by posting about OP Beckoners and their insane skeleton armies.

e: Although the Wurms aren't any less crazy than the skeletons imo.

The Crotch
Oct 16, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo

rope kid posted:

They do.

The ship duels can also get insane.
Yeah but if there's another bounty quest for a bunch of violent anarcho-communists, please let me join them this time.

Scorchy
Jul 15, 2006

Smug Statement: Elementary, my dear meatbag.

Wizard Styles posted:

Oh, I know. You put me up to this bullshit in the first place by posting about OP Beckoners and their insane skeleton armies.

e: Although the Wurms aren't any less crazy than the skeletons imo.

I've never been the biggest Chanter fan but they sure are goofy right now.

Beckoners spend the majority of battles standing in the back doing their 9 second cast times and not being particularly interactive.

Skalds are more suited to the frontlines and can get their Invocations off faster, but the removal of general talents and the subclass' focus on weapon crits makes them Rogue-ish in squishiness now.

Troubadours are focused on their songs, but there's a marked reduction in the number of phrases available to pick in Deadfire, plus you've only really using one phrase at at time. I feel like integrating Sirin's dual vocalization ability into this subclass somehow would feel better.

Overall they're a lot more reliable as casters since they start off combat with some phrases already, and each phrase is down to 3 seconds, but there's no actual customization I can do to up their martial abilities other than to multi-class.

Wizard Styles
Aug 6, 2014

level 15 disillusionist
There's no background for the Ixamitl Plains that gives extra Alchemy how am I supposed to make an immersive drug monk like that WHAT KIND OF loving SHITSHOW IS THIS!? :argh:

Scorchy posted:

Skalds are more suited to the frontlines and can get their Invocations off faster, but the removal of general talents and the subclass' focus on weapon crits makes them Rogue-ish in squishiness now.

Troubadours are focused on their songs, but there's a marked reduction in the number of phrases available to pick in Deadfire, plus you've only really using one phrase at at time. I feel like integrating Sirin's dual vocalization ability into this subclass somehow would feel better.
I can't see myself playing a single-class Skald at all. I've had Stalker/Skalds in two parties now, though, and even with the current chance to hit issues due to the inability to graze they're quite good. Offensive Invocations made it into the Deadfire beta without increased casting time (which makes sense considering they can't really be retargeted that well), which makes them feel a lot more universally useful than what a Wizard can do.
I mean, I'm still not sure where I stand when it comes to the long casting times of spells in general and they can be very strong, but sometimes things shift so quickly retargeting isn't useful or you just get hit with a paralyze and lose the spell.
Skalds don't have that issue. Their main problem in the beta is anything that can't be paralyzed or has high Will, so they're not perfect and quite possibly not even better at CC than a Wizard in general (although I think they do have an edge right now), but at least they feel good.

I haven't played a Troubadour at all but Dual Vocalization in general would be cool. Right now Chanters feel very focused on their Invocations, and like you say you're only really using one Phrase. I don't think I had a Chanter learn more than two Phrases so far.

e: Also, am I not seeing something or is an Illusionist incapable of giving itself Concentration?

Wizard Styles fucked around with this message at 23:55 on Dec 4, 2017

User
May 3, 2002

by FactsAreUseless
Nap Ghost

frajaq posted:

I'm going to counter-signal you hard on this, because getting my PCs off Faerun and onto Spelljamming ships was some of the most fun my gaming group ever had, including both naval combat and boarding.

Pwnstar
Dec 9, 2007

Who wants some waffles?

All you need to do is remember the difference between the fore topmast staysail, fore staysail, foresail, fore topsail, fore topgallant, mainstaysail, main topmast staysail, middle staysail, main topgallant staysail, mainsail, maintopsail, main topgallant, mizzen staysail, mizzen topmast staysail, mizzen topgallant staysail, mizzen sail, mizzen topsail and mizzen topgallant.

User
May 3, 2002

by FactsAreUseless
Nap Ghost
If a drunk kidnapped off the street could do it, how hard can it really be?

Pirate Edit: Ropekid, is it too late for a press gang mechanic?

Fintilgin
Sep 29, 2004

Fintilgin sweeps!

Pwnstar posted:

All you need to do is remember the difference between the fore topmast staysail, fore staysail, foresail, fore topsail, fore topgallant, mainstaysail, main topmast staysail, middle staysail, main topgallant staysail, mainsail, maintopsail, main topgallant, mizzen staysail, mizzen topmast staysail, mizzen topgallant staysail, mizzen sail, mizzen topsail and mizzen topgallant.

It's a drat kraken! To hell with the stay sails, hoist the loving GO sails!

Buck Wildman
Mar 30, 2010

I am Metango, Galactic Governor

[Cruel 2] BOAT DREGS, COMMENCE PROPULSION. MECHANIC SUITABLY.

ProfessorCirno
Feb 17, 2011

The strongest! The smartest!
The rightest!

Pwnstar posted:

To be fair, the vast majority of that is...close to the same thing. First word mast, second word sail. Just a big loving list of the various bits of cloth that let your ship move.

Also, there should be a check for someone who already claimed to be a pirate to get smug as gently caress on someone expecting them to be clueless.

Pwnstar
Dec 9, 2007

Who wants some waffles?

If you can't pass a check for nautical experience then your crew is constantly scrambling around to stop you from hurting yourself and pretending to listen to all your idiotic orders while actually doing things properly.

Pwnstar
Dec 9, 2007

Who wants some waffles?

Getting into a fight with your first mate over port or larboard being the preferred nomenclature on your ship.

Pwnstar
Dec 9, 2007

Who wants some waffles?

Installing more and more cannons without reinforcing the hull or support beams first and bringing your carpenter to tears after every engagement.

the fart question
Mar 21, 2007

College Slice
Pillars 2 sounds like fun, with elements of Pirates? I loved that game.

After playing the hell out of Baldurs Gate for the last year or so I'm just doing Pillars 1 for the first time, starting out as a Paladin. It seems like pretty awesome fun so far.

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Morbid Hound
https://twitter.com/jesawyer/status/937832452646506496

Missing does suck, hitting is awesome, you're awesome

Is grazing with an affliction going to downgrade it a "rank" or will it stay full force but half duration?

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

Glad to hear about the graze comeback. Even a 2 damage hit is better than a whiff, especially on spells that you have limited casts of. Running a DnD campaign, the most frustrating thing for a DM is players' frustration at missing all the goddamn time.

In combat in DnD you roll a d20+modifier for a chance to hit. if that dice roll meets or exceeds the armor class of the target the attack succeeds. The issue is that a lot of low-level enemies in DnD have high armor class. A standard goblin has 15AC. A level 1 character would reasonably have roughly a +4 modifier. meaning they need to roll at least an 11 to hit. Meaning they start the game with a 45% chance to hit, assuming they're proficient in the attack they're using.

I can't imagine how many otherwise happy and willing players got frustrated at missing all the goddamn time and got turned off the idea of DnD combat altogether.

I loving hate missing.

jokes fucked around with this message at 15:27 on Dec 5, 2017

Octo1
May 7, 2009
Let the record show that ropekid continues his unjustifiable assault on my dex/per/res rogue, because not only is resolve as useless rear end ever for rogues and dex is vastly inferior to might strength, but now perception is less relevant than ever as grazes return and critical damage remains nerfed :mad:

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

So will Pillars of Eternity 2 have any particularly long-lasting pillars in it?

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

MikeJF posted:

Well there's the pillar of fan devotion to Obsidian, for one. F:NV and PoE1 bought forever good will as far as I'm concerned.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ravenfood
Nov 4, 2011

MikeJF posted:

Hiravias isn't in the party anymore bro

• Locked thread