Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.
There is no sign of land.
You are coming down with me, hand in unlovable hand.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

:smith:

Grimey Drawer

got any sevens posted:

Netflix effect? They gonna launch their own service?

Nah this was a thing well before streaming services. It means you're making money both from advertisers and from syndication.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

Timby posted:

Beyond "soonish," I'd say it's probably over after this season. It was on the bubble after this past season (especially because Fox doesn't own it, which is now one of their huge criteria for renewals) and it's now at the point that no one's watching it despite being as good as ever.

Since they moved it from Sunday I honestly have no idea when it's even on.

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

got any sevens posted:

Netflix effect? They gonna launch their own service?

Fox is at the point that they're literally considering selling their studio and IP to Disney; they need money, and they make significantly less from shows they buy from other studios as opposed to homegrown ones that they own.

quote:

Also what kind of dummy grabs a big buff straight black man's junk?

The dummy who works for one of the biggest agencies in Hollywood and knows he can get away with it because he did it to a black guy who will get told to shut up for being uppity.

Phylodox
Mar 30, 2006

College Slice

got any sevens posted:

A sexual predator? A morally bankrupt megalomaniac who gets off on emasculating other men, safe in the knowledge that his position protects him from reprisal?

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat

got any sevens posted:

The kind who can make or break careers

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Well, maybe if his career is ruined it will motivated Crews to rip that dude's arms off like he should have in the first place.

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010

jet sanchEz posted:

The Danny Masterson situation seems really eerie to me; the church of scientology is well known for protecting their own...

Just found out that the reason Crystal Fairy isn't touring might be because Terri Gender-Bender, one of Danny's victims, decided to deal with the trauma now rather than later. Which is the right call for her, but a shame because it's a good project that she built with her husband (Omar from At The Drive-In/Mars Volta) and Buzz & Dale from the Melvins.

So he didn't just traumatize her for life with a greedy, disgusting, vile, act, he hurt a growing family's ability to earn money for themselves. Apparently Omar said flat out that select songs from the new ATDI record are about what Danny did. I know it's a tall mountain, but I hope they go after COS legally and win. Those pharisaical sons of bitches need to be knocked down several million pegs.

El Gallinero Gros fucked around with this message at 05:35 on Dec 3, 2017

Pirate Jet
May 2, 2010
I am going to become rich and famous just so I can hire Terry Crews and keep his career going.

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010

Pirate Jet posted:

I am going to become rich and famous just so I can hire Terry Crews and keep his career going.

I'm hoping some of the folks from Expnedables help him out, work wise

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

El Gallinero Gros posted:

I'm hoping some of the folks from Expnedables help him out, work wise

Uh, those guys don't exactly have great careers going on themselves and Stallone had a sexual assault accusation thrown at him recently. If anything Terry should distance himself from them.

Arkhams Razor
Jun 10, 2009

El Gallinero Gros posted:

Just found out that the reason Crystal Fairy isn't touring might be because Terri Gender-Bender, one of Danny's victims, decided to deal with the trauma now rather than later. Which is the right call for her, but a shame because it's a good project that she built with her husband (Omar from At The Drive-In/Mars Volta) and Buzz & Dale from the Melvins.

So he didn't just traumatize her for life with a greedy, disgusting, vile, act, he hurt a growing family's ability to earn money for themselves. Apparently Omar said flat out that select songs from the new ATDI record are about what Danny did. I know it's a tall mountain, but I hope they go after COS legally and win. Those pharisaical sons of bitches need to be knocked down several million pegs.

It's Cedric's wife who was one of Masterson's victims. Omar's currently touring across Europe with At the Drive-In, with La Butcherettes (Teri's band) in support as recently as October. The reason Crystal Fairy hasn't done anything is probably because they are busy.

AceOfFlames
Oct 9, 2012

Pirate Jet posted:

Blizzard can always hire him to voice Doomfist’s until now unmentioned twin brother raised in the U.S

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747
It sounds like Crews is mostly doing okay, though? Like, the powers that be are trying to gently caress his career and not really having a ton of success, is the impression I got from that article.

Vegetable
Oct 22, 2010

I don't think nearly enough time has passed to see what effect his revelation has on his career. But surely the ramifications can only be negative.

Tart Kitty
Dec 17, 2016

Oh, well, that's all water under the bridge, as I always say. Water under the bridge!

He's probably safely locked in on Brooklyn-99 until the show ends, so I would expect whatever ramifications there will be to be more visible in whatever theatrical film roles he's offered in the future. Crews hasn't really elevated to true movie "star" position yet, but he absolutely should find himself in that realm in the next couple of years. That's where the weight of the thumb on the scales is going to be felt the most.

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010
Danny Masterson has been fired by Netflix

https://consequenceofsound.net/2017/12/netflix-has-finally-fired-danny-masterson/?wasp=facebook-ads

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

The greatest sensual pleasure there is is to know the desires of another!

Fun Shoe
Crews is in a precarious position, which really only makes what he did even more courageous. He's not A list, he doesn't star in movies that make a ton of money, he's a really great ensemble player and he can throw in a memorable cameo if you need him to, but entire productions aren't living and dying because of him. He's also a bit on the older side, because he didn't get into acting until he had finished with his completely separate career, and so age will be something going forward that people will be able to point to as an explanation for him not getting work if they really want to.

Work dries up for guys like Terry Crews all the time, regardless of talent(and he's got plenty). The powers that be can decide that he won't work anymore and there are reasons they can use to justify it if they really want to. The public will forget about Terry Crews very quickly.

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

You've got to admit, you are kind of implausible

Basebf555 posted:

Crews is in a precarious position, which really only makes what he did even more courageous. He's not A list, he doesn't star in movies that make a ton of money, he's a really great ensemble player and he can throw in a memorable cameo if you need him to, but entire productions aren't living and dying because of him. He's also a bit on the older side, because he didn't get into acting until he had finished with his completely separate career, and so age will be something going forward that people will be able to point to as an explanation for him not getting work if they really want to.

Work dries up for guys like Terry Crews all the time, regardless of talent(and he's got plenty). The powers that be can decide that he won't work anymore and there are reasons they can use to justify it if they really want to. The public will forget about Terry Crews very quickly.

He's always in Adam Sandler's films, so at least he has that

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

Adam Sandler's agent is Venit, so we'll see.

Phylodox
Mar 30, 2006

College Slice

Al Borland Corp. posted:

Say what you will about Sandler, and there’s a lot to say, but he seems good about taking care of his friends. And at this point he’s probably got enough money that he doesn’t give much of a poo poo.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

Fun Shoe

Al Borland Corp. posted:

When you've got your own successful production company established the agent is really not someone who's going to be forcing any decisions on you. Sandler can make any project happen with any people he wants involved and the agency wouldn't have poo poo to say about it.

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

Basebf555 posted:

When you've got your own successful production company established the agent is really not someone who's going to be forcing any decisions on you. Sandler can make any project happen with any people he wants involved and the agency wouldn't have poo poo to say about it.

He's basically going to have to take a side though

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010

Al Borland Corp. posted:

At this point I'm not sure he does. The guy is insanely wealthy, and Netflix would probably be happy that somebody they have a contract with isn't a piece of trash. I remember once that Roger Ebert said he wished Sandler made better movies because he's met Sandler a bunch of times and says he's a really sweet man, and it made him feel a bit guilty to trash Adam's projects.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

Fun Shoe

Al Borland Corp. posted:

I really don't think the issue will be forced on him. They have no leverage, if they drop Sandler because he refuses to stop hiring Crews, well, Sandler will just hire a different agency or just hire his brother or something to act as his agent. Sandler makes bank and he has all the power in this situation, so if he were to cast Crews in something I'd bet he doesn't hear word one from them at all.

Bolingbroke
Jan 4, 2015

got any sevens posted:

The fact that Crews is large and black is exactly part of why Venit could get away with sexually assaulting him. If a large black man uses physical force against someone, that narrative will absolutely be spun to demonise the black man, no matter how much the other guy had it coming or if it was self defence.

This incidentally is one of many reasons why "just get buff/learn martial arts/buy a gun" is a terrible response to discouraging sexual assault. These issues are about institutional and professional power; having physical power means jack if you're going to be fired or jailed for using it.

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

Basebf555 posted:

I really don't think the issue will be forced on him. They have no leverage, if they drop Sandler because he refuses to stop hiring Crews, well, Sandler will just hire a different agency or just hire his brother or something to act as his agent. Sandler makes bank and he has all the power in this situation, so if he were to cast Crews in something I'd bet he doesn't hear word one from them at all.

I don't need professionally, Venit is his long time friend. He's either gonna side with him and drop Crews or not and keep casting him. They aren't going to force him to do one or the other but it's a decision he has to make.

21 Muns
Dec 10, 2016

by FactsAreUseless

Bolingbroke posted:

This incidentally is one of many reasons why "just get buff/learn martial arts/buy a gun" is a terrible response to discouraging sexual assault. These issues are about institutional and professional power; having physical power means jack if you're going to be fired or jailed for using it.

I think it's a pretty reasonable way to discourage sexual assault from strangers, it's just that that happens to form a minority of sexual assaults.

Shimrra Jamaane
Aug 10, 2007

Obscure to all except those well-versed in Yuuzhan Vong lore.
Crews could probably make a living doing publicity stuff for video games if he wants.

Macdeo Lurjtux
Jul 5, 2011

BRRREADSTOOORRM!

21 Muns posted:

I think it's a pretty reasonable way to discourage sexual assault from strangers, it's just that that happens to form a minority of sexual assaults.

I do like the Bojack Horseman episode on this very topic if men had to suddenly worry if the woman they're about to harass is packing it would force a decision about which they care about more; loving guns or hating women.

AceOfFlames
Oct 9, 2012

Next and final House Of Cards season confirmed to not have Spacey in it:

http://variety.com/2017/digital/news/house-of-cards-season-6-production-2018-kevin-spacey-1202629619/

AceOfFlames
Oct 9, 2012

Shimrra Jamaane posted:

Crews could probably make a living doing publicity stuff for video games if he wants.

I just hope he can find good ones.

Crackdown 3 looks baaaaaaaaad.

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010

Shimrra Jamaane posted:

Or voice acting. He's pretty good at sounding intimidating.

GrandpaPants
Feb 13, 2006

Free to roam the heavens in man's noble quest to investigate the weirdness of the universe!

John Oliver publicly confronted Dustin Hoffmann  https://www.washingtonpost.com/news...m=.c9bd20bb0163

Tart Kitty
Dec 17, 2016

Oh, well, that's all water under the bridge, as I always say. Water under the bridge!

I honestly believe that the best project for Terry Crews, post Brooklyn-99, would be like, a series adaption of True Lies with him in the Schwarzenegger role. It would let him flex all of his muscles (so to speak), by jumping between action and comedy, while also allowing him to play the family dynamic in Everybody Hates Chris.

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

Fart City posted:

I honestly believe that the best project for Terry Crews, post Brooklyn-99, would be like, a series adaption of True Lies with him in the Schwarzenegger role. It would let him flex all of his muscles (so to speak), by jumping between action and comedy, while also allowing him to play the family dynamic in Everybody Hates Chris.

I love this idea

viral spiral
Sep 19, 2017

by R. Guyovich
I love Terry Crews. He isn't going to let Venit get a pass without a fight:

https://twitter.com/THRMattBelloni/status/938204981861031936

:hellyeah:

GonSmithe
Apr 25, 2010

Perhaps it's in the nature of television. Just waves in space.
Looks like Travolta might be next

http://www.vulture.com/2017/12/lionsgate-cuts-travolta-gotti-biopic-10-days-before-release.html

got any sevens
Feb 9, 2013

by Cyrano4747
Terry is tough as balls

https://youtu.be/_JcsfxdXDCc

I didnt even know he'd been an nfl player

viral spiral
Sep 19, 2017

by R. Guyovich

Scientology will protect him.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU