Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

uncle w benefits
Nov 1, 2010

hi, it's me, your uncle
I have no handy skills and I couldn't hope to hardwire any camera into a car power supply, nor snake cabling around door seals and headboards, because I am a failure of a man.

Are there any recommended bestbuy brands I could get installed? I really don't want sloppy cords dangling in my field of view, but I'd like to be able to dismount the camera so it doesn't get ruined in stifling Texas heat.

e: I bought this one, the last one in stock :getin:

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01HD6PIDC/ref=od_aui_detailpages00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

uncle w benefits fucked around with this message at 02:37 on Dec 5, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

azazello
Dec 26, 2008
Y'all complaining about Google Maps upthread, why not try designing your own turn navigation system sometime. Google Maps is a loving engineering marvel. It's incredible that it works as well as it does.

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

Does a bear split in the woods near Zheleznogorsk?

azazello posted:

Y'all complaining about Google Maps upthread, why not try designing your own turn navigation system sometime. Google Maps is a loving engineering marvel. It's incredible that it works as well as it does.

That's not how criticism/feedback/opinions work. HTH

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 11 years!)

Google Maps went from damned reliable to a goofy pile of crap over the past year. I've been sitting, say, in the parking lot of my destination, and it shows me pretty much on the pin, but wants me to drive out of the parking lot, around the block, come back, and take a different entrance into the parking lot. It's also picked up a really annoying habit of trying to have me drive to a customer's alley, instead of going to the front of their house.

I've been using Google Maps for work for several years. It'd been pretty drat solid up until this year (really, I'd say the past 4-5 months is when it went to poo poo).

`Nemesis
Dec 30, 2000

railroad graffiti

uncle w benefits posted:

I have no handy skills and I couldn't hope to hardwire any camera into a car power supply, nor snake cabling around door seals and headboards, because I am a failure of a man.

Are there any recommended bestbuy brands I could get installed? I really don't want sloppy cords dangling in my field of view, but I'd like to be able to dismount the camera so it doesn't get ruined in stifling Texas heat.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01HD6PIDC/ref=od_aui_detailpages00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

It's super easy to just tuck the cable into the trim/door seal. Like, anyone can do it. The only thing you'll need is power, but a usb phone charger works just fine depending on if it's always on or only on when car is on, and what you're aiming for. If you just want to record while driving, and the outlet is off when car is off, then you're golden.

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

Yu-Gi-Ho! posted:

Google Maps went from damned reliable to a goofy pile of crap over the past year. I've been sitting, say, in the parking lot of my destination, and it shows me pretty much on the pin, but wants me to drive out of the parking lot, around the block, come back, and take a different entrance into the parking lot.

It does this for me if I ever have it navigate me to work, and even wants me to take a different freeway exit a mile away because of it.

Magnus Praeda
Jul 18, 2003
The largess in the land.
Once a quarter I deliver schedules for upcoming classes at work and routinely get routings that have me crossing 45 mph, five-lane traffic with no light or going down semi-residential streets when there's a perfectly good high-capacity road (with a much higher speed limit) a block or two away. I typically just do what I know is less dumb and force it to "reroute" until it gets it right-ish.

Solanumai
Mar 26, 2006

It's shrine maiden, not shrine maid!
I should document the route that Waze constantly directs me to use on my commute home, it's hilarious.

I have to move north a few blocks between two major roads at some point during the 11 mile drive home and there are a lot of points where one can do that. Waze's favorite is a tiny road through a residential forest with a 15mph speed limit and no street lights that comes out at a stop sign where you need to take a left turn onto the previously mentioned busy road across 3 lanes and into what is likely bumper to bumper traffic.

There are all sorts of very straight forward north-south roads with street lights that it just hates.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

as a person who never leaves my house i've done pretty well for myself.
Can anyone recommend a turn‐by‐turn navigation app that allows custom routes?

I want to be able to drag the route around like I can on Google Maps desktop, but Google won’t let me send a route like that to my phone.

LongSack
Jan 17, 2003

uncle w benefits posted:

Best Buy will install stuff even if you didn’t buy it there. I had my dash cam and radar detector hard wired in at Best Buy and didn’t buy either there.

Pimp Drakula
Oct 12, 2013

Howdy dashcam thread, I browsed through a few pages of topics and figured this was probably the one most closely related to my question, so hopefully I'm in the right place. This year for Christmas I'd like to get my mother a backup camera for her 2009 Accord coupe, and was hoping there might be some knowledge overlap with dashcam expertise. I'd like something that won't require the user to provide a screen (for instance nothing that integrates via Bluetooth with a phone/tablet) or require anything beyond superficial modifications to the car (running a wire into the trunk or something is no big deal). I'm not sure whether this is something I should shop for on Amazon or if I'd have better pricing/selection in a specialty shop (either online or brick & mortar). Does anyone have any experience or knowledge on what to look for in an aftermarket backup camera?

Literally Lewis Hamilton
Feb 22, 2005

This is a 75mph limit highway. When they started walking out slowly I legitimately thought they were trying to commit suicide. Keep trying to cross a highway during rush hour and I'm sure that day won't be far off.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UyEqudsXzR0

HFX
Nov 29, 2004

Shere posted:

I should document the route that Waze constantly directs me to use on my commute home, it's hilarious.

I have to move north a few blocks between two major roads at some point during the 11 mile drive home and there are a lot of points where one can do that. Waze's favorite is a tiny road through a residential forest with a 15mph speed limit and no street lights that comes out at a stop sign where you need to take a left turn onto the previously mentioned busy road across 3 lanes and into what is likely bumper to bumper traffic.

There are all sorts of very straight forward north-south roads with street lights that it just hates.

Waze has a really bad habit of choosing unprotected left turns across busy highways at rush hour. It is why i mostly stopped using it.

Takes No Damage
Nov 20, 2004

The most merciful thing in the world, I think, is the inability of the human mind to correlate all its contents. We live on a placid island of ignorance in the midst of black seas of infinity, and it was not meant that we should voyage far.

Grimey Drawer
Somebody partied too hard this weekend:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sD7rV3sYxhU

Not that I don't know how he feels, and there is a university right across the freeway. Hell probably had more fun tonight than I did :shobon:

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

Pimp Drakula posted:

Howdy dashcam thread, I browsed through a few pages of topics and figured this was probably the one most closely related to my question, so hopefully I'm in the right place. This year for Christmas I'd like to get my mother a backup camera for her 2009 Accord coupe, and was hoping there might be some knowledge overlap with dashcam expertise. I'd like something that won't require the user to provide a screen (for instance nothing that integrates via Bluetooth with a phone/tablet) or require anything beyond superficial modifications to the car (running a wire into the trunk or something is no big deal). I'm not sure whether this is something I should shop for on Amazon or if I'd have better pricing/selection in a specialty shop (either online or brick & mortar). Does anyone have any experience or knowledge on what to look for in an aftermarket backup camera?

Crutchfield would be your best bet - they have a category dedicated to backup cameras, and a lot of them include a monitor of some sort.

You'll need to run wiring to/from the trunk - for power and video, and probably a way to tie into the reverse lights (a lot of those cameras will burn out if left on continuously). If you're wanting to tie it into whatever factory in-car entertainment display the car has, uh, I'm at a loss on that one.

`Nemesis
Dec 30, 2000

railroad graffiti

Shere posted:

Theoretically Waze should learn to ignore that route if you ignore it enough times. It's suggesting it because it doesn't have enough data on the road to know that it sucks. Does Waze show the proper speed limit on that road when you drive on it? If not, going into the Waze map editor and setting the proper speed limit will help you.

HFX posted:

Waze has a really bad habit of choosing unprotected left turns across busy highways at rush hour. It is why i mostly stopped using it.

There's a setting to "Reduce Difficult Intersections" in the app. It's also suggesting it due to lack of data, probably. It learns over time that certain turns are a pain in the rear end because they take forever to get through, and stops routing that way.

Source: was really bored and was a Waze map editor for like six months.

cakesmith handyman
Jul 22, 2007

Pip-Pip old chap! Last one in is a rotten egg what what.

I need a reversing camera for my wife's new car and a dashcam so I thought why not combine the two? Jesus Christ the documentation and descriptions on cheap eBay dashcams that strap over the rear view are terrible :v: I can't honestly tell if some of them can act as reversing cameras at all. Any recommendations?

Laserface
Dec 24, 2004

cakesmith handyman posted:

I need a reversing camera for my wife's new car and a dashcam so I thought why not combine the two? Jesus Christ the documentation and descriptions on cheap eBay dashcams that strap over the rear view are terrible :v: I can't honestly tell if some of them can act as reversing cameras at all. Any recommendations?

I have been looking at getting one and its basically this:

mount the camera, run its power wire to the reverse lamp wire in the tail light (unless you have CANBUS then maybe dont do this)

install the mirror, run the signal wire from the cam to the mirror

power mirror from 12v source.

when you engage reverse it turns on the camera and the display is switched on by the signal from the camera.

its straight forward but also engrish makes it hard to deal with.

MikeyTsi
Jan 11, 2009

Pimp Drakula posted:

There's a car audio thread that would probably be better for this purpose, buuuuut:

Pretty much all backup cameras just operate off of a standard RCA type cable, unless someone decides to be cute/proprietary with connectors (OEM). Even then it's usually just a weird connector they put on something that's still RCA, so there's usually adapters.

The FIRST thing we need to know is what type of in-dash the car has. If the existing car doesn't have a display you can patch a camera in to you're gonna need one.

clockworkjoe
May 31, 2000

Rolled a 1 on the random encounter table, didn't you?
I want to get my brother a dashcam for christmas. He has a new BMW X1X28I. I have no knowledge about cars or dashcams - so something nice with front and rear view recording - not sure what other features would be good. Any suggestions?

cakesmith handyman
Jul 22, 2007

Pip-Pip old chap! Last one in is a rotten egg what what.

Laserface posted:

I have been looking at getting one and its basically this:

mount the camera, run its power wire to the reverse lamp wire in the tail light (unless you have CANBUS then maybe dont do this)

install the mirror, run the signal wire from the cam to the mirror

power mirror from 12v source.

when you engage reverse it turns on the camera and the display is switched on by the signal from the camera.

its straight forward but also engrish makes it hard to deal with.

Yup that's pretty much what I'm after. I need to check the canbus thing though, what'll it do if I try and power a camera when it's expecting a light bulb?

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

Really depends on the car. I would expect that the worst that would happen is the body control module sees the uneven draw and decides a bulb is dead. But the uneven draw could be within the tolerance that could happen if you installed a slightly wrong light bulb. And I'd figure they'd run both lights off of one circuit, instead of individual circuits for each bulb.

But now that I've typed that, it'll probably go up in flames.

incogneato
Jun 4, 2007

Zoom! Swish! Bang!

clockworkjoe posted:

I want to get my brother a dashcam for christmas. He has a new BMW X1X28I. I have no knowledge about cars or dashcams - so something nice with front and rear view recording - not sure what other features would be good. Any suggestions?

I'm in a similar boat (looking to buy one as a gift), and know nothing about them. Wirecutter has a dash cam article, so it's where I'm starting. If nothing else it gives you an idea of features to look for.

Although if anyone has suggestions I'll take them (I'm only looking for forward facing). I'm tempted to just grab that fancy Garmin one, since their first choice is out of stock.

DethMarine21
Dec 4, 2008
DashCamTalk has a recommended dashcams section that is also a good place to start.

uncle w benefits
Nov 1, 2010

hi, it's me, your uncle

`Nemesis posted:

It's super easy to just tuck the cable into the trim/door seal. Like, anyone can do it. The only thing you'll need is power, but a usb phone charger works just fine depending on if it's always on or only on when car is on, and what you're aiming for. If you just want to record while driving, and the outlet is off when car is off, then you're golden.

I was able to stuff the wire under my headliner in my wifes Corolla, but trying to stuff the wire behind the plastic housing with the SRS Sidecurtain Airbag stamp on it, that runs down the sides of the windshield, is very difficult. I can't seem to pry the plastic away from the frame enough to get the cable in there, and I don't want to muck with it too hard because it's an airbag. Are there any products, like poofy tape or something, that I can use to tape the wire just along the edge of this housing? It'd be great because there is a bit of black on the glass along this border, and you couldn't even tell it was there.

clockworkjoe posted:

I just got this PapaGo! 535 for $130: https://dashcameraportal.com/1-channel-dash-cam-reviews/dash-cam-reviews-papago-gosafe-535/

Pretty expensive, but I've used it 2 times and it works fine. It automatically starts recording as soon as you turn the car on (or motion is sensed, depending on settings.) It has pretty good night visibility too.

incogneato
Jun 4, 2007

Zoom! Swish! Bang!

uncle w benefits posted:

I just got this PapaGo! 535 for $130: https://dashcameraportal.com/1-channel-dash-cam-reviews/dash-cam-reviews-papago-gosafe-535/

Pretty expensive, but I've used it 2 times and it works fine. It automatically starts recording as soon as you turn the car on (or motion is sensed, depending on settings.) It has pretty good night visibility too.

That's Wirecutter's first choice, but it looks like it's out of stock everywhere online. Maybe I'll call around to local car stereo places.

Zero VGS
Aug 16, 2002
ASK ME ABOUT HOW HUMAN LIVES THAT MADE VIDEO GAME CONTROLLERS ARE WORTH MORE
Lipstick Apathy
I feel like it's been 12 months or so and Mobius 2 is still the only H.265 dashcam on the market. It looks like it would be super janky to use too, does anyone have one?

Krakkles
May 5, 2003

uncle w benefits posted:

I was able to stuff the wire under my headliner in my wifes Corolla, but trying to stuff the wire behind the plastic housing with the SRS Sidecurtain Airbag stamp on it, that runs down the sides of the windshield, is very difficult. I can't seem to pry the plastic away from the frame enough to get the cable in there, and I don't want to muck with it too hard because it's an airbag. Are there any products, like poofy tape or something, that I can use to tape the wire just along the edge of this housing? It'd be great because there is a bit of black on the glass along this border, and you couldn't even tell it was there.
DO NOT gently caress WITH THOSE.

I just wanted to state that clearly to hopefully communicate that you do NOT want to pry on it, put wires in it/in front of it, etc.

Electrical tape would do what you mention later, which is fine, but do not gently caress with your airbags.

Laserface
Dec 24, 2004

I dunno I removed my pillar trim and ran the dash cam wiring behind all the Airbag stuff without too much hassle. as long as its not in the way of the airbag i dont see why you would have a problem?

uncle w benefits
Nov 1, 2010

hi, it's me, your uncle
Without knowing how airbags work, just yanking on parts of their housing without pulling the appropriate fuses seems like a bad idea. Pulling the fuses seems like a lot of extra work. I think I'll just go with some good, thick electrical tape and run it down the very edge of the windshield.

incogneato posted:

That's Wirecutter's first choice, but it looks like it's out of stock everywhere online. Maybe I'll call around to local car stereo places.

I truly bought the last one in stock at Amazon :getin:

Laserface
Dec 24, 2004

Depending on your climate the adhesive on the tape will probably melt and the tape fall off, but sure, thats fine.

Most of the time it is recommended to disconnect the battery when working on anything electrical anyway.

I mean plenty of idiots remove airbag steering wheels for sweet aftermarket face-destroyers, and airbag fitted seats for fixed backs, and they definitely shouldnt do that. but running a wire through the trim and behind the airbag mechanism and away from the split-points in the trim panels shouldnt be an issue. there was a bunch of OEM wiring there anyway, with its own little cable tidy clips and everything, so I just routed through that.

uncle w benefits
Nov 1, 2010

hi, it's me, your uncle
The pillar trim is nice and loose where it's closer to the roof, but as it runs down the side of the windshield it gets real tight. I can't even force the cable between the two with a plastic putty knife.

nm
Jan 28, 2008

"I saw Minos the Space Judge holding a golden sceptre and passing sentence upon the Martians. There he presided, and around him the noble Space Prosecutors sought the firm justice of space law."
You car likely has specific instructions for running cables by airbags on the a pillar. Even putting a wire behind the bag apparently can cause some problems.
Both my cars, mazda and subaru, have very small areas laid out in the service manual, that are not described as just behind the airbag.

uncle w benefits
Nov 1, 2010

hi, it's me, your uncle
I may just take it to BestBuy and see if I can slip a guy a tenner and see if he can run it through.

CarForumPoster
Jun 26, 2013

⚡POWER⚡
It's really REALLY unlikely but I wouldn't gently caress with running multiple-feet-long unshielded wires near electronically triggered explosives lest you end up like the USS forrestal. Automotive systems are notoriously noisy and long wires are antennas, even if unintentionally.

https://ntrs.nasa.gov/archive/nasa/casi.ntrs.nasa.gov/19960009442.pdf

uncle w benefits
Nov 1, 2010

hi, it's me, your uncle
Maybe I can find some little adhesive clippy things so I don't have to worry about a few feet of degrading tape adhesive.

clockworkjoe
May 31, 2000

Rolled a 1 on the random encounter table, didn't you?
What about this? https://www.amazon.com/Street-Guardian-SG9663DC-Channel-MicroSD/dp/B072HNKJ45

I know he wants a dual camera and this looks good for a BMW X1X28I. I'm fine with the price. Thoughts?

wolrah
May 8, 2006
what?

CarForumPoster posted:

It's really REALLY unlikely but I wouldn't gently caress with running multiple-feet-long unshielded wires near electronically triggered explosives lest you end up like the USS forrestal. Automotive systems are notoriously noisy and long wires are antennas, even if unintentionally.

Most wires aren't going to be transmitting. Those that are, definitely be careful with. With my trunk lip mount CB antenna on my BMW sometimes the ground connection would get lovely and any time I keyed up I'd get the worst static imaginable through the iPod interface (which had an audio cable running parallel to the CB antenna cable).

The HD radio antenna wire running behind the a-pillar airbag didn't really worry me, that was easy to tuck away and won't be carrying any power.

`Nemesis
Dec 30, 2000

railroad graffiti
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KMhgu-jcVF8

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=74X8A4MiRYo&t=22s

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CarForumPoster
Jun 26, 2013

⚡POWER⚡

wolrah posted:

Most wires aren't going to be transmitting. Those that are, definitely be careful with. With my trunk lip mount CB antenna on my BMW sometimes the ground connection would get lovely and any time I keyed up I'd get the worst static imaginable through the iPod interface (which had an audio cable running parallel to the CB antenna cable).

The HD radio antenna wire running behind the a-pillar airbag didn't really worry me, that was easy to tuck away and won't be carrying any power.

I was saying a noisy power wire might set off your airbag. Ironically a line intended for transmission will be shielded with the shield grounded so that wire is okay but I wouldnt tempt fate with that either.